Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:00 AM
machette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Rowdy, Must be able to find some Nasty motors and escs for Bud ...I may need some myself as I'm down to one DM2215 as the other has a bent shaft.
....and the mounts were an issue I recall. Bleary had a eflite mtr mount part number that fixed that problem I think....while MC was sticking the mtrs straight on the depron.
Reversing the mtrs is essential I reckon ....for me anyway.

here's how I did it with a DM2215 on a GWS mount (little off line but worked good for me)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47995.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1071202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82828.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1071203  
Old 11-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Budmulla

Machette, I have 1 and 3/4 sheets of both 6mm and 3mm that has sat idle for far too long!!

I have the titled version of that Nasty plan you linked Machete and its all taped together and im ready to cut!
Just thinking ahead to power plant.
At times i think ive learnt so much in this hobby already, but when it comes to chosing motors and such i still dont have my head fully around what will do what job.

Tempted to steal the powerplant from the crashed TB-20
It has a BP-21 or Towerpro 2408-21 type motor that swings a 8040 prop, but i have up to a 10x6 prop handy.
It also has runs on a 2S 1800mah pack which might be light enough.

Is this the one
woodys has that fits the bill?
Never seen that other plane you link too before .... looks very similar to the nasty.

Im all set for a trip to Canberra tomorrow, so ill be on a mission to get all the extra little bits ill need to build the nasty. I have 2 5g servos and some 3 9g ones spare.

And Rowdy, it was some bad luck with the Cessna.... but it fixed up ok.... except the bent motor shaft.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:08 AM
BERTRC

V8
I have built a couple of nasty's and used 10amp motors from this guy. They are not listed on his website but check with him as he usually has them

I have bought a bit of stuff off this guy, he is pretty good
http://www.rc-estore.com.au/

Bert
Old 11-13-2008, 01:19 AM
machette

I'm in the same boat as you for bits and depend on the others for advise... Berts onto something.

I'll stick with the method
here's the remains of a buggered 3S on my Nasty. I split the two remaining good cells and just flew her on two cells to start with. (and I got some more life from a dead 3S) Just glued the single cells flat across the wing and charged them where they were. Cells separately are quite thin and lay flat on the underside of the wing and cause no grief at all.

Name:	Tr49726.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1071210  
Old 11-13-2008, 04:07 AM
geoffviper

rowdy ya wally

the link l'm talking about is to the forum we spoke of

geeeze its hard to get good help

ohhh had my 5th death threat for the year

geeeze l feel wanted

dont feel lve earned my money till they hate me

Old 11-13-2008, 04:13 AM
geoffviper

Machette

that looks like a HD

ohhh and move those bloody fords up to the top where they belong

l see GM are going broke

there is a god
Old 11-13-2008, 04:30 AM
VeeAte

That looks awesome machette!

Been a long time since I have seen a huffer on a red six. What sort of charger is it? And would be roughly a 3/71 in size?

If you come across any more of those superchargers let me know. Chasing one for the Calais.

Although I dont think Mr Plod would like it poking through the bonnet. Trying to find one off a supercharged VX Calais or similar. But everyone wants a million bucks for them.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:58 AM
Rowdy_b64

Sorry Geoff .. But IF YA HAD SAID the link TO THE OTHER FORUM ... I might have known ~~~

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...60619&page=607

Sorry bout the death threats ,,, I'll try to limit them to 3 a year from now on ... BTW .. what was the deal with the Extra purchase .. didn't expect an extra!!

Just been sitting out on the verandah having a Wee dram .. raining here (more please!) but the cafe blinds I put up on the w/e past make it really great!! Dry as a bone .. makes all the work I did building that structure so worth while!! Just wish I had a little heli to fly in there ....hmmmmmm

Better not .. just spent 700 on a new motherboard,chip,ram and Graphics card. Not high end .. but nice.

Anyone want to buy an AGP 9600 XT board .. going cheap ?? Actually motherboard ,chip and ram as well !!!! So many computers in this house .. it's just silly.

Machette .. the motors are Bm 2409-18 ... about to use one on my Predator .. reportedly 180 W

Cheers blokes
Rowdy
Old 11-13-2008, 05:29 AM
VeeAte

PM me what hardware you have and how much Rowdy. Might be interested.
I should really build a new computer.

And 9600XT sounds like the graphics card. Or is it inbuilt graphics on the motherboard?

Been struggling on with this XP2000+ and Radeon 9200 for too long.

Also the whopping 768MB of DDR I have in it is due for an addition.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:53 AM
ozrcboy

Well guys I have just completed an audit of my unfinished and broken planes - I suspect I am far closer to bleary than I suspected. I can barely believe the numbers myself.

Awaiting Completion

HK Spitfire
Mini Ultra Stick
SA G300
MM Super Cub
Ego SU27
Cox Corsair
Flatana
GWS Zero

And the following planes are awaiting repairs:

Easybox II
Tucano
Tiger Moth
Mustang
Elebee...

Sheesh
Old 11-13-2008, 05:56 AM
clovus

Bud,

A BL outrunner is the way to go. As the plane is so light you can mount them in a whole heap of different ways. On my NASTY I used a Ultrafly 06/10 BL motor and cut out a X mount with a hole in the middle for the shaft, and glued the x mount directly to the Depron. The only drama was every time I crashed it just popped off. I guess it saved damage.

It is a good starting plane for more high performance - it can really catch you by surprise as it is quite nimble. Expo on the radio is your friend with low rates for the first few you'll be golden. I made the mistake of buying a cheap balsa bird from ModelFright - a Rainbow reach 3D complete package $99.00 Servo's were rubbish - I returned 2 of them and then just gave up. The plane flew OK but didn't last long. Depron is the way to go, at least initially.

I am just about to tick off the last three tasks on the Tiger Moth - Flying wire rigging, find the CoG. and program the Tx. Hopefully wrap them up tomorrow!!

clovus
Old 11-13-2008, 06:01 AM
geoffviper

Rowdy

just seemed to be wanting an owner

ohhh l
bought a new box

quad core
4 gig ram
500 gig hd
9800gt G/ Card
saprano case
multi card reader
dvd -+ burner
of course off ebay

melbourne

love it

now l want a Wii
Old 11-13-2008, 06:03 AM
clovus

Oz,
What happened to the Easy Box? What's in flying condition?

Flying Condition:
3DHS Extra SR
Depron Se5a
GWS Tiger Moth 400
SAPAC BAE Hawk
EZ*

Waiting to be built:

Great Planes Fokker DR 1
Ultrafly BAE Hawk
PA Addiction (work in progress)
Tiger Moth (work in progress)

Awaiting repair:
3DHS Extra SHP
Old 11-13-2008, 06:03 AM
ozrcboy

Oh - btw - another 100 pages everyone - gratz etc.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Rowdy_b64

geez geooff .. thats giving it away!! Top deal .. way better than I did .. and I bought parts (cheapest in Melbourne .. CPL and MSY)
Damn!!

Just posted the vid .. got a great litle email from youtube about the soundtrack .. they know it's copyright .. but the owners don't object!!! )

Here it is ...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8WDBLI3sn8Q

Cheers
Rowdy
Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 AM
EDFjet

MMMMM Ego SU27... me wantee
Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 AM
EDFjet

Last two nights after work i have been slowly working on the Katana. Not as good at building as i used to be. Need to get back into it a bit more i think. Made a few silly mistakes, but im liking the way it looks so far.

Just needs a rudder servo, esc, lipo and rx and motor and a prop and i will be flying. Once the AUD picks back up again i will make that order.

Liam

Name:	Mk25327.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1071268  
Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 AM
tam popo

Rowdy - what bird was chasing your bird? And are SCubs supposed to fly like that, I always thought they were for old men like me?

V8 - you can't beat a good Sinclair ZX81, thats what I always say!!!

And that was a good suggestion about 'copy and save' postings - brilliant!!!!

Prices of ALL Multiplex planes (Funjet, EZCub, EZ* etc) have dropped by Au$20+ over here. And EZ* is now £39.99 instead of my last one at £49. I'll send details of a good shop here where I buy a lot of my gear.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:24 AM
tam popo

Rowdy - is this the UAV you have http://www.giantcod.co.uk/product_in...55e57a6373aa68
Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 AM
tam popo

And here's the link to the cheap prices in the UK for Multiplex http://www.b*********.co.uk/?page=home
Old 11-13-2008, 07:46 AM
ozrcboy

Guys - little off topic but does anyone have any experience with Seben RC cars - are they any good or Euro trash? Interested in getting another electric runaround for the front yard. Not prepared to pay hundreds but something with an actual parts logistics line might be good. Any other suggestions.?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 AM
downunderdog

I have a bunch of newbie-builder questions and would appreciate anyone/everyone's input...

I've ordered a bunch of stuff (10A ESC, 12A ESC, 10g, 16g, and 24g motors, HXT500 and HXT900 servos) from HC in preparation for making a depron plane, and like the look of the nasty... would it scale down (maybe 18 inch wingspan) ok, or would going that small cause difficulties for a first build? I'd actually like to go with airfoil wing (3mm depron skin with 6mm ribs and either a CF or balsa spar?), but would that complicate things too much? I haven't ordered any yet but am thinking of getting 5 or 6 sheets of 3mm and 3 or 4 sheets of 6mm depron from www.depron-australia.com - any recommendations of other sources or a different mix of thicknesses? Also, can I survive cutting the depron with an exacto or hobby knife or dremmel, or should I jump right in and build or buy a hot wire cutter? Will the dremmel (with a cutting blade?) do a good job, or does it chew up the depron if you try to cut with it? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I probably won't start building for weeks, because a couple of the items in my HC order are "backordered" with no estimated date and I haven't ordered any depron yet...
Old 11-13-2008, 10:55 AM
VeeAte

Best advice I can give Oz is have a search around on ebay and some of the RC online shops.
Usually good indication of the popularity of a given car and the parts backup available.

In Australia we are somewhat limited with parts availability for anything except the top brands like
Tamiya
HPI
Ho-Bao (mostly nitro cars)
Hong Nor (as above)

We dont have great support for brands like
Losi
Mugen Seiki
XRay

and some others.

Ebay is a good indication of what is in demand and what is available.

I dont have any personal experience with Seben and dont know anyone who has one of their cars.
Bit of research here on RCU might net some results as to the quality too tho.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:54 PM
clovus

Downunderdog,

There are a few things to consider. Are you a newbie flyer as well, or just newbie builder?

If you scale it down it becomes touchier and harder to fly. At 18 inches you will want really light gear - I designed a 18 inch extra with 3mm depron, it flew (just OK) on a 24g BL motor, 2s800 mAh lipo, 6gram ESC, 8gram Rx and 3x 5gram servo's -with not much extra power to spare. I'd be thinking the airfoiled wings with the associated structure would give it just too much extra weight to fly well. If you go with the lightest motor you may have balancing issues.

But, Depron is cheap, easy to build with and I'm all for experimenting, so go for it! Even if it doesn't fly it will be good practice. I don't have a hot wire cutter but use a hobby knife. You will need really sharp blades to cut the depron properly, every 3-4 cuts I sharpen the blades. If you don't it tends to rip the surface of the depron. I have tried a soldering iron but it gave off some really nasty fumes, and the dremel produced so much fine dust I decided it wasn't worth the cleaning up time, let alone what it was doing to my lungs.

clovus
Old 11-13-2008, 04:15 PM
ozrcboy

Thankx v8 - I did find something on RCU - it was neither flattery, nor complete scorn. These guys (Seben) claim they have parts backup but if I had to order it through their incredibly slow and clunky website (which is also in German for good measure) I would be calling lifeline before the end of the purchase.

Have to think some more...

Have finally started putting my HK spitfire together - that list last night made me realise what a slack 4rs3 I am. Also, I figured out I can't put on the Tucano's new go fast motor until I've cleaned up the office enough to find the motor mount...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.