Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:12 PM
downunderdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Australian Barbeque and Beers Part V

I think that this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8155768

plus a couple of water balloons or bags of flour might be of use.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:31 PM
machette

I've looked at stuff like that D'U'D ....but no room in these foamie fuses I use on my 'work' planes. What I do have in a minimag is a wire that protrudes through the side of the fuse (stole the idea from a forum) that is on a servo on the gear channel .......when activated it just withdraws the wire back into the fuse. I attached an elastic band on one side of the fuse and pull it around under the payload/whatever and onto the wire (attached to the servo) sticking out of the fuse. Activate the servo and the wire withdraws into the fuse and releases the elastic band and payload.

Can't find the site I saw it on [] .....the babble will have to do

these roos that watch me fly aren't really an issue .....but just the way the males look you up and down you just wonder how much testoserones running in their veins when they have women with them. Big guy this bloke is too for a grey....near eye to eye to me when he's sitting.
I expect to hear a few coughs before he makes any aggressive moves so he doesn't bother me really. ....and I don't swoop 'em as they all have joeys at foot. My son has been known to rugby tackle a few bucks, trick is he tells me, is to never get chest to chest with them...he can have that one on his own.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:09 PM
The_Mongrel

Mike.... that is one big roo dude!! I have Maggies here that swoop when I am flying so now I have to back myself under this shrubby tree to keep them from attacking from behind! Most of the time they are spending too much time chasing the plane, but I got the feeling the other day when he was perched up on the neighbours roof that he was working out that it was actually me flying the plane!

Slightly off topic, but I remember playing golf at a local course and my ball landed within 6ft of a Roo that big. Did you think he would move? I can tell you, you feel quite alone in the middle of a golf course with a massive Roo 20ft away, and daylight between you and the clubhouse!! [X(]

Cheers
-J
Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 PM
downunderdog

Just a servo and wire through the side of the fuse... a much more elegant design than the one in the post that I linked. You could even connect to both sides of a double servo arm, or 4 sides of a 4-way servo arm, and have pins retract on both sides (and forward/aft of the wing) simultaneously to drop stuff from in a net under the fuse. I was thinking of building a wood box for under my T-28 foamie, but will now do the much simpler, lighter, and less failure prone "wire through the side" that you described. Thanks

Of course, that will be when I get it back in the air after a "hard landing" (I only call it a crash if I can't find all of the pieces) I had the other day.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:16 AM
clovus

MC,

M'eh, 8cm's is not that bad when you consider its a pretty big plane. Flew like a pig though. I kept sliding the battery forwards a little bit at a time until I saw a photo of someone's setup and moved it almost 5 cms in one go. By then I was pretty much over it and thought "i don't care anymore, come what may". I hate to have a plane that I don't fly taking up valuable room. That is also valuable psychological room - if the missus doesn't see more then three in the room at one time I'm golden. That's the magic number, it doesn't seem to matter if they change colour or size as long as there's no more then three. Heavens forbid if she'd look in the shed....

clovus
Old 11-21-2008, 03:34 AM
maiden-crash

Haha that made me laugh. But seriously, I think having the CG that far back and still flying it is a testament to your skill. I knew there was something wrong, all the people on RCG with the any given 3DH model are obsessed with em. Lets hope your new CG has you having some real fun with it. You should see the half scale design of the Edge so far (plans/ design). Extreme flight and PA have been my inspiration. This will be one light bird. The Real Edge has a roll rate of 420 degrees a second, I wonder how fast I can make it Aileron size is surprisingly not the main factor here...
Old 11-21-2008, 07:58 AM
VeeAte

Wow. Wondered what had been going on. Hadn't had an email from rcuniverse about the BBQ for days.
Don't know why I stopped getting the emails. But I have.

Good to know everyone is still out there

Been doing a hell of a lot of flying lately.
6L of fuel I went through this week. Adds up to over 7 hours total flying time.
Starting to get a bit pricy tho. So going to have to cut it back to only a couple of litres a week.

Anyone know a good site that lists some of the more extreme 3D and aerobatic maneuvers?

I have come across a few which have the basic stuff like cuban eights and hammerheads etc. But more wanting descriptions with pictures/animations/diagrams on stuff like snap rolls and blenders etc.

I dont think it would be good to get stuck calling them things like "We're all gonna die!" etc when other members are around. They wont know what I am on about. Or will start running for cover every time I fly. hahaha

Thinking I am maybe getting flutter every now and then on the trainer. Its either that or the lacky's that hold the wing on. Am hoping its the lacky's. Changed over to a 11x6 Topflite wooden prop and wow what a difference! Revs up instantly and screams at full throttle. In a steep dive at WOT and I gently pull up is when it sometimes sounds like flutter.

May just be too much flex in the pushrods too. Don't know how to fix that.

Sorry for huge post. haha
Old 11-21-2008, 04:25 PM
clovus

Doesn't sound good V8,

Might be some time for a bit of throttle control? There are a few sites around, just have to be sure thery are using the same transmitter mode as you. Google, or post a Q on a thread to cut out the searching for 1000000 matches.

clovus

EDIT: If I get some flying/filming this weekend I will do a blender how to for you.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 PM
VeeAte

Thanks Clovus. No stress if you dont get time or have better stuff to do.
I found some info on the Horizonhobby site which has a couple of how-to's by Mike McConville on how to do Blenders and Waterfalls etc.

It is nice to see the maneuver done with an actual plane instead of a description, but I will nut it out.

If my internet wasnt shaped I would do a search on youtube.

Looks like rain, but think I might go out for a quick blat around the skies anyway.

The flutter was a loose elevator. One of the clevises had got some grit in it and worn the hole out. So I replaced it and will see if it does it again. Wont try to make it flutter. But will keep an ear out on the downlines.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:14 PM
maiden-crash

V8, enjoy.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904349

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792250
Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Glue-it-again Ben

Good onya for the link MC. I'll be having a good look at that lot too.

Took the SuperDuper cub out today, but had to substitute my 10x7 for a 10x4.7. Wouldn't have been a drama if it wasnt blowing an absolute belter...

It was another one of those days where I didn't stop to think there was a good reason I was the only one out with a plane on a day that would normally see upto a dozen at this particular park.

ROG'd, and headed upwind for about 50 meters, crawling at WOT. Turned it around, and in a flash I was about 150 meters back downwind! Turned it around again just as the wind stepped it up a notch, and didn't have the output to get it travelling back up-wind in any meaningful way. Slowly bought it down a slow but bouncy vertical decent and landed it like a helicopter with zero roll out. After the long walk to retrieve it I decided not to try my luck again, and called it a very early day. I'm sure I could have managed it with the 10 x 7, but unfortunately didn't have one with me.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:01 PM
machette

and another to add to MCs list ....I couldn't find any in mode 1 however.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ZZD4vtn94

I just looked at what a 'blender' actually is .....I had a rough idea.

I've done a few of those blenders unintentionally and they mostly end in tears [] ......does that count though?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:05 PM
maiden-crash

They are one of my favorite maneuvres. Better to have a well built plane for them though, they put huge stress on the wings.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:04 AM
bleary

The Blender looks totally cool but stresses airframes.Went for a late arvo fly yesterday after a pub afternoon...maybe not such a great idea actually.I think I have cracked the Addiction's rudder from an upsidedown "landing"....How does one ask for a syringe at the chemist without looking bodgy...I think I need to inject some Ca into the balsa rudder frames.
I actually have it on video so as soon as it uploads I will link it.
Raining here otherwise would be out flyin!
Bleary.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:53 AM
bleary

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JXJOpqiSlY]Here[/link] we go...get ya airsick bags ready..(I was a tad "merry" )
Old 11-22-2008, 08:05 AM
VeeAte

Nice vid bleary!

Looked better than my flying when I am straight.

Did one myself today too. Thrashing about with no real routine. Just throwing the trainer around for the hell of it.

[link=http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=UxlktMXFTu4]Trainer Thrash[/link]
Old 11-22-2008, 07:11 PM
The_Mongrel

Hey mate,

Is that plane nitro or leccy?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:27 PM
clovus

That's the great thing about 3D bleary, hard to tell if your half cut or stone sober.

Went out to dinner at Surfers last night. Schoolies is in full swing, just craziness, shear craziness.

23 knots here so no flying for me..... still waiting for the Addiction II maiden flight.

clovus
Old 11-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Glue-it-again Ben

Anyone got any comments on me upscaling the Nasty plans by 150% to build a Nasty XL?

Saw something like that down at the park the other day and it looked great. Was thinking i'd use my Park 480, but I don't think It'd be enough. Will prolly go for one of those Turnigy Gold series motors looks like great power for the price.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:36 PM
machette

Ben, talk to bleary
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymmrfo...eature=related
Old 11-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Rowdy_b64

Has anyone ever seen a good RC PT-17 Stearman avaiable ??
Just saw this vid whilst looking an others from EDF's MIG15 post. Mate .. can this bloke fly !! Watch him harrier a PT17 about half way through ... unbelievable!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU0Se...eature=channel
Old 11-22-2008, 10:12 PM
bleary

I think that there is a crical size for foamies of about 1m wingspan beyond which they need a heap of reinforcement to stop the floppy scenario.The Noddy plane is as floppy as all get up which makes them a bit of a pig to fly.If you reinforce them nicely then you can get away with it but they start getting heavy and need heaps of power so a bit of a vicious circle.I have the BAF Yak which is pretty big for a foamy but needs a $$$ power system and servos etc.I reckon if you can scale it up so that it is 1100/1200 or so span and keep it light,the 480 should be enough power...go for it,will be interested to see how she goes.
Bleary.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Glue-it-again Ben

ORIGINAL: machette

Ben, talk to bleary
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymmrfo...eature=related
Okay Bleary - where are you mate? I've got a few questions for you...

Is the noddy plane still flying?

Just wondering what the WS is, the aprox flying weight, and what motor you used?

Also, is the wing a flat plate 'airfoil' or does it have some sort of profile?

Thinking about my project, I'll probably have to build the airframe first and then buy the motor once I know exactly how much weight I'll be hauling around.

As a ball-park figure, increasing the plans to 150% would have to double the weight at least wouldn't it?

EDIT: Ahhh, I see you got in before me... Thanks for the info. Should have asked the bloke with the XL profile Yak what plans he used. It's all power to weight isn't it...
Old 11-22-2008, 11:21 PM
VeeAte

The trainer is nitro.

If that question was directed at me. haha
Old 11-23-2008, 04:38 AM
reuben199

THINGS SEEM TO BE VERY QUIET HERE.........................

To quote the hot chic on the aussie ads........................WHERE THE BL**DY HELL ARE YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also the most valuble tool I have in the rc plane hobby is............. my computer, without it I would have little or no access to information/simulator/downloadable charger upgrades/motor stat's.... well thats my two cents on the removed computer related posts. What one moderator regards as off topic posts maybe valuable information to other members.
Also has anyone downloaded the real flite free simulator trial?? I would but my laptop needs an upgrade
Cheers Reuben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.