Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

New Wing, Flight Trimming problems!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

New Wing, Flight Trimming problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 07:14 PM
LearjetMech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wing, Flight Trimming problems!

Ok fellas,
Got a new wing on my plane from Horizon the other day. Got everything hooked up and checked out and headed to the field. Took off and I was fighting it for a good minute or so. She wanted to bank left hard. Finally got her level and after some gentle tooting around came in (froze my cahonas off). I noticed my ailerons were "mismatched". The left wing aileron was down, to counteract the left bank. But the right was relatively flush with the trailing edge. Hmm. I got to thinking. I dont think it is a warp issue. The wing is pretty straight (ARF wing). They way I look at it the right wing is providing a little more lift, due to the ailerons not being adjusted correctly. If I were to adjust the ailerons, correct me if I'm wrong, do I adjust the right one up to "kill" some of the right wing lift and not touch the left one. Then recenter on TX and fly? All input and help appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Nik
Old 01-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Azcat59

Default RE: New Wing, Flight Trimming problems!

This tells me that you took off with the right aileron drooped some, which helped bank the plane left. Note your flying trim position on the TX, then move it back to neutral, and see if this isn't what happens. Now the fix....you need to have the left aileron down slightly (about half of what it was after you landed) and the right aileron up about the same amount. This with your TX trim in neutral. Now fly, and use the trim tabl to clean up any slight difference.

All of this is probably happening because you have a slight warp in the wing, which you may or may not be able to take out, depending upon the strength of the structure, etc. Try the above fix first and see if that doesn't get you back in business.....

Clair
Old 01-08-2004, 06:42 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Center the trim control on the Tx. Then adjust the aileron clevises so that the ailerons are both level.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:39 AM
LearjetMech

Minn, Both ailerons were level prior to first flight. At least they looked level!
Old 01-08-2004, 09:43 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: LearjetMech

The left wing aileron was down, to counteract the left bank. But the right was relatively flush with the trailing edge. Hmm.

ORIGINAL: LearjetMech

Minn, Both ailerons were level prior to first flight. At least they looked level!
Nik, this could be a cause for concern. If they were level before the flight, but only one was level afterward, you may have a stripped servo gear. Are you running 1 servo/aileron, or 1 servo total?
Old 01-08-2004, 10:00 AM
PigHeaded
My Feedback: (8)

What type of setup are you using? Dual servos, torque rods?

Are you adjusting endpoints with your TX?

With your trim tab centered are you getting equal throws both up and down for both ailerons? Are they truly centered?

Adjust your trim tab to full up and full down. Are you getting an equal change up and down for both ailerons?

Based on your original post you might have some slop in your linkage or your ailerons are not in alignment. Depending on your setup you should have an equal adjustment for both left and right ailerons when you apply trim. Since you said after trim adjustment the left was down and the right was centered, I would look to make sure that both ailerons are working equal and opposite of each other.

Thank you,

Jerry
Old 01-08-2004, 10:28 AM
LearjetMech

Single center servo, so neg on the stripped gears.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:43 AM
PigHeaded
My Feedback: (8)

Forgot one more thing. Are your control rods in the same holes on each side of the servo? Using the same hole on the Horns?

The reason I ask is that you said they were both centered. One side may be linked different and this could also cause this kind of trim problem.

Thank you,

Jerry