Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

electric r/c's

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:17 PM
s7jstep1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: electric SUCKS

i have a feeling this thread is going to get locked soon. its turning into a nitro vs electric thread
Old 04-27-2008, 04:40 AM
Longhair

I'm surprised that it lasted this long given the title of the thread.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:03 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is really sad that we are doing this again.

Nothing "sucks". Everyone should just drive/sail/fly whatever he or she wants to. - The bottom line is to enjoy the hobby.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:28 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Nothing "sucks". Everyone should just drive/sail/fly whatever he or she wants to. - The bottom line is to enjoy the hobby.
ditto

the only thing that sucks is a broken r/c[)] electric, nitro, gas, it sucks....
Old 04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Now you're just using logic. We will have none of that here!
Old 04-27-2008, 11:13 AM
My Name Is Brad

nitro owns electric in every way.

**** electric.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Troopermanaic
My Feedback: (7)

Now you're just using logic. We will have none of that here!
No we cant have any of that here.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:33 AM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: My Name Is Brad

nitro owns electric in every way.
****k electric.

except for speed, nobody cares about speed
Old 04-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Velocity-8
My Feedback: (15)

I've owned nitro and electric planes, helis, cars, boats and motorcycles. The only thing that sucks is people with this kind of attitude.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Troopermanaic

belive brushless is breaking 70mph now while nitro, if you remember a few years back HPI came out with a road car that broke 100mph+
Old 04-27-2008, 01:40 PM
The_Shark

bye bye thread

its going to go soon i can feel it

the worlds fastes car was a electric pan car, that did some odd 123MPH on brusheless. i had a pan car, got it upto 73 with just good gearing and a 9turn quad mag motor.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:58 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

bye bye thread

its going to go soon i can feel it

the worlds fastes car was a electric pan car, that did some odd 123MPH on brusheless. i had a pan car, got it upto 73 with just good gearing and a 9turn quad mag motor.

Actually Nic Case holds the official record of 134.4 mph which he made with a Team Associated Nitro TC3 which was converted to electric. He has actually gone 160mph with another car (2wd electric) but crashed at the end of the track making it unofficial. There was a rule that stated if the car couldn't run after the run it was unofficial. That rule was actually meant to stop anyone from trying to run a car they knew wouldn't run again (rocket car, etc) There was a bit of argument about whether Nic's 160mph run should be official or not since the rule wasn't really meant to disqualify drivers who broke during the run. However RCCA (the magazine that holds the event) stated that they were going to keep the 134.4mph run as the official record and next year they'll force all competitors to make a backup run to prove it was legitimate.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:06 PM
The_Shark

s' still electric.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Troopermanaic

I guess it dont really matter because I like to run my nitro when I have gas and money but when I am bone dry and outta gas I like to whip out the electric rustler which is almost undestructable.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:54 PM
adam-69

haha i didnt even bother to read most of this thread but had to comment on the title....
i am 100% a nitro lover, would never buy a electric over a nitro, and even i laugh at the idea of saying electric sucks....yehh being the most powerfull, fastest and easiest powersource is rubbish haha. [&:]
Old 04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
rcmaster123
My Feedback: (3)

I like nitro better.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:33 PM
savtraxx

ORIGINAL: happywing

It sounds like it's just YOUR electric that sucks. Your attitude sucks too. You reap what you sew.
exactly
Old 04-27-2008, 10:00 PM
robg68

I have to chime in here, I've new to the sport after more than 30 year of ATV off roading. I thought I needed something safer since I'll be starting dental school soon. I bought a vxl rustler for my self and a xl-5 for my daughter. I got the maxamps battery (5000, 11.1v) and hyperion changer 11.1V. And even though it is fast, I almost feel rediculous pulling out an electric, It feels like a toy. I hear nitros and I want to kick my self in the *****. I bought my rustler just over a month ago and with batteries and parts all I'm in the hole over a grand just on the vxl. Lets not mention that my daughter's xl-5 engine burned out after 2 runs.

If I had to do it all over I would go nitro. The only benifit is that your could run them anywhere because of the noise.

Something else is the gearing on these things, yeah you could run 70 mph for example on a rustler vxl but you sacrafice all the low end power and run time and you need a $300 battery and charger and gearing, then you look at a jato and you are going about 65 out of the box with a ton of low end power. You can't have both on current electrics.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:01 PM
robg68

bub
Old 04-27-2008, 10:21 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: supamagician

ok. i over reacted. electric doesnt suck. i love my firestorm but i just want that thrill of nitro. tuning and everything. i like messin with stuff like that. i took my whole e-firestorm apart and put it back together one day, just for fun. so im leaving myself with 2 options.

Option #1
upgrade e-firestorm to lipo/brushless, and race that and get a chaos for a cheap way into nitro and something to still have fun with

Option #2
upgrade e-firestorm to a 12t motor to be about as fast as my step dads rustler, and just bash it out front of the house, and get a lightning 2 sport buggy (1/8) to run at the track.

what do you guys think i should do??
I am with you on the nito part. I personally, like you, love nitro and the tinkering that goes with it (the sound, the smell of the fuel burning as th engine is running, and so forth). It's a guy thing for me, the louder it is, the manlier I feel, even though it is only a hobby.

As much as I love nitro, electrics will quickly out pace engines very fast. Though fast electrics at the moment have high pices for top end ESCs, brusless motors, LiPo batts, those prices will quickly com down. Also, the reduced maintenance is also vry appealing (brusless requires way less maintenance than an engine does, just mantaining the bearings, cleaning, etc. is way eaiser than rebuilding an engine). Also, LiPo and bushless systems are out now that can easily outrun nito RCs And as newer batt technology hits the market, these motors will quickly outpace engines by leaps and bounds. Nitro engines are very near their max capabilities that we as fans can mod and what the engine makers can produce.

The only way that engines can keep above electics is if multi-cylinder nitro car/truck engines hit the market. (Of course, multi-cylinder engines suffer from heaveier weight where new batt technology maintains the same weight is all in squeezsing more mAh out of a given gram of batt weight.)
Old 04-28-2008, 06:30 AM
happywing

I love the smell, smoke and noise of nitro. I just can't sacrifice the incredible speed, torque and handling of electric 1/8 conversions. If it wasn't for the performance advantages, I'd go back to nitro. Unfortunately, nitro is what it is and will never change. Electric is on the "fast" track in advancements.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:34 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Bosley2

Get a brushless system + lipos and you will definitely outrun all those nitro junkies
You dont even need Lipo, I can out run them nitro's with 3600nimh in my B44.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:59 AM
adam-69

ORIGINAL: happywing

I love the smell, smoke and noise of nitro. I just can't sacrifice the incredible speed, torque and handling of electric 1/8 conversions. If it wasn't for the performance advantages, I'd go back to nitro. Unfortunately, nitro is what it is and will never change. Electric is on the "fast" track in advancements.
thats a very good point, electric is advancing day by day.
re-inventing the two stroke engine...doesnt sound like it'll happen soo does it
Old 04-29-2008, 12:14 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: Troopermanaic

I guess it dont really matter because I like to run my nitro when I have gas and money but when I am bone dry and outta gas I like to whip out the electric rustler which is almost undestructable.
Electric's have broken 160 mph. Nic Case fastest rc car challenge.