Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

eldorada upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:04 PM
weeze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eldorada upgrades

I've just bought an Eldorada truck on e-Bay and i'm wondering if i can get some feed back from other owners of one. What is the real top speed the ad said up to 60 mph but i don't believe that but is there any upgrades i can make to increase the speed or handling of it.
I would like any advice that could help. thank you all
Old 07-18-2008, 10:25 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: eldorada upgrades

engine would be a good upgrade, either the sh.18 or os cvrx .18. Does not do 60mph, maybe 60 kph. I have had mine doing 31mph stock with the vx .18, thats not slow either bro. A tuned pipe like the 02124 would be a good upgrade and give you more power also. There is the 02031a header will give you more power.

http://server.sohouniverse.net/~himo...&=SID#MOREINFO
http://server.sohouniverse.net/~himo...&=SID#MOREINFO
http://server.sohouniverse.net/~himo...hp?id=597&=SID

I am sure other people will chime in with their mods
Old 07-18-2008, 10:37 PM
weeze

i'm in canada what would the price of those item be ?
Old 07-18-2008, 10:59 PM
ehroof

thats the price in us dollars bro, shipping to Canada would be about $5-$10 more depending on where you are in Canada.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:07 PM
weeze

i'm east of Toronto. How much more speed would this parts add. Please forgive my lack of knowledge. My co-worker just got a losi aftershock spend close over $600 out the door thinks i'm stupid for buying this truck so i'm get close to want he has for a lot less. I know this my be hard to do but i figure read this post and hearing about your service your the one to talk too.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:14 PM
ehroof

i would think you would get a few more mph out of it, like close to 40 mph, thats no joke for a truck this size either. You will be pretty close to that aftershock since its a big truck and not very quick off the line, my buddy has the mega baja and its really not that fast and we put an os .30 in it. I am sure you would be happy with those few mods, you can also put a little larger clutch bell, like an 18 tooth to get better top end too, you may loose a little low end but with those hop ups, you would be pretty good still off the line, its really a quick truck off the line. I have nice vented clutch bells also, just not on the site yet. If interested you can pm me thru rcu or you can email me
Old 07-18-2008, 11:21 PM
weeze

Thank you for your input. I've not even got the truck yet but when it comes in next week hopefully, i'll be in contact with you. I'll probably take you advice and upgrade and hopefully some more people chime in and give me some more help thanks again.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:27 AM
ugly duck

I've got a truck like the Eldorada (HSP Tyrannosaurus, though I've also called it a Redcat Volcano and a Himoto Viper since they're basically the same thing) and I've done a few mods to it. They can be really quite quick! I've done the same header that Eddie is pointing you at, a Team Associated torque pipe, and the direct drive transmission / 13 tooth clutch bell mod. Depending on the tires I'm running at the time, it can run just about as fast as my XTM Mammoth ST (1/8 scale truggy). When I've got it going that fast, it's kind of tough to control! Like Eddie says, it's no joke at that speed.

Personally, I like the way it's set up now: all the above mods, but with buggy "all terrain" style tires (Proline Dirt Hawg). It sits lower to the ground and the tires are much more repsonsive because they're lighter and lower profile, and because they're smaller in diameter the truck accelerates like crazy! I might try a 14 tooth or a 15 tooth clutch bell with these tires, but I also have a 2 speed buggy transmission I want to try. I use it mostly on pavement now and I don't jump it much, so it's kind of a top speed machine right now. It MIGHT get a big block into it, but I still think I can get the VX18 to haul butt.

If this is your first truck and you haven't driven one before, I'd suggest you learn how to drive it first in a nice open field, away from things you can hit. Try setting up some lightweight obstacles and drive your truck between them at top speed to train yourself to miss things. These trucks are pretty fast and responsive, they flip easily and when they flip/hit stuff they can break parts pretty easily. I don't know if you've got C-hub or pillowball suspension on yours, but if you're buying the header & pipe from Eddie, buy some steering knuckles and rear uprights, maybe some lower suspension arms, dogbones, etc. They're cheap and you're probably going to need them if you're jumping & running hard off-road. I also like the aluminium wheel hexes, because you can tighten the wheels down hard and the wheel will still turn freely. Upgrade to sealed bearings if you have bushings at the wheels too.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Redharris

Weeze....
I own a Viper.....
I have done just about every Mod you can think of....
My Truck is Much Faster than the Stock version....
In addition to all the aforementioned Mods, I would recommend THIS air Filter. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDAP2

The combo of Air Filter, Header and Pipe will Dramatically increase your Performance!!!!

Here are a few Pics of MY setup....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29903.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	993787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34106.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	993788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55311.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	993789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90390.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	993790  
Old 07-20-2008, 09:41 AM
weeze

Thanks for you input i've made a list of parts to look into now i was wondering what suspension parts etc. would be wise to get. I like how Eddie and Redharris gave me links i found that very useful. The main problem where I live us fuel shortage the hobby shops are having hard time getting the 20% fuel. Does anybody else having this problem?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:18 AM
weeze

Redharris what tire setup are you using are they the stock tires for your Truck or have you upgraded?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Redharris

Weeze....
Those pictures I posted are some Old Stock Tires/rims I use for running on Pavement and grass....

When I want to Bash in the Dirt, I install all four shocks, (those are shocks from a T Maxx) and some Proline Masher Tires with some HPI rims.

Its an Old Joke, (some of you might remember from that Other Forum ) but those are my Famous $14 dollar Rims......

Here is a picture of those Tires/Rims....along with my Custom Work Stand...[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67412.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	994070  
Old 07-20-2008, 11:27 AM
ehroof

from what i understand, china is a main supplier of methane and since the olympics is going on they have cut the production of methane alot due to the bad smell, cant have a stinky olympics, lol.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:31 AM
weeze

Yeah thats what the hobby store says. To put t maxx shocks on is there any modification to do or do they just bolt on?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:39 AM
ehroof

they basically go right one i think, rich or adam can answer that better
Old 07-20-2008, 11:43 AM
weeze

I'm just heading to the hobby store they have fuel in stock so what glow plug is recommended for this engine? I think i should pick some more up when i'm out.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:48 AM
ehroof

I like the OS A3
Old 07-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Redharris

If you want to do a Neat Job, it takes some Minor modification, but is not difficult....

Sometimes (depending on when your truck was manufactured and what the Tolerances were) one of the rear shocks Might rub on the Tab that secures the Battery case.
I had to Dremmel that Tab off.
You will also need some new Hardware (screws/washers) that you can get at your LHS or online.

The Mod is Worth the Effort though.
The TMaxx shocks make a Huge difference in Handling Big Air landings....
Old 07-21-2008, 08:27 PM
weeze

Well i got my truck today the e-bay picture was himoto the truck is a redcat. As far as iunderstand there the same truck different names. I've have a few questions before i try starting it because i found the manual not very specific. Hoe long shoiuld i charge the glow plug igniter using the wall charger? As far as braking in the engine the manual says set the carb to 2 1/2 turns run through 4 to 5 tanks not going full speed for long periods. How should i go about starting it the first time?
Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 PM
ehroof

charge the igniter for 12-14 hours

the 2 1/2 out on the high is correct, flush with the collar on the low. You can put your finger over the exhaust and pull the starter until you see fuel going thru the line into the carb. Put the ingniter on then pull, it should start in a few pulls, pull short and quick, if you pull out too far you will rip the pullstart out or break the internal spring.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:45 PM
firebird78

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7647037/tm.htm ....this may help you out....on your break in I like the heat cycle method...people got what works for them...I try to idle one tank of fuel...then I put it on the ground and run it....I run for 3 minutes ( just burping the throttle and never going over half throttle, and not holding same speed long)...let it cool good at bdc....I do that like 5 times gradually giving it just a tad more throttle...then I go to 5 minutes run time at no more then 3/4 throttle....do that like 3 times and then done
Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 PM
weeze

Thanks all for your help