Sad as it is I have joined this forum purely to participate in this thread! lol
I bought this original Lunchbox as a Midnight Pumpkin with no body from a friend when we were about 17 (we are now 35!). It came with no radio gear and was in pretty bad shape generally - although it did come with four Monster Beetle CVA shocks and the original Pumpkin build manual. My first ever assembly R/C car was a Lunchbox in 1989 so with a nostalgic glint in my eye I stripped and repaired the car by replacing any broken bits, fully ball racing the gearbox, fitting a Hornet pinion and bought a Lunchbox body parts set (still available at the time - '94-'95) – after lightly running it the truck then sat in my loft for about 8 years before I pulled it out again and used it perhaps once every couple of years for a trip around the garden. Fast forward to 2007 where I got back into RC in a big way and since have fully stripped and cleaned it too many times - third shock mod and chassis bracing along with a standard silver can motor but running on 2S lipo – gives the standard throw away motor plenty of kick. Also fitted a Tamiya light kit - very cool! Outside is stock though as I love the boxart look. The truck has seen more use in the past five years than in the first fifteen of me owning it I think! The latest round of mods included fitting the CRP Futaba FX10 buggy front end conversion. Whilst fitting it I thought it was shame not to centre the steering servo to try and improve the steering throw and make both sides equal. This all went well but I found that I needed a bit more clearance so I fitted the Tamiya 51000 Hi-torque servo saver to help move the steering arms away from the shock bottoms. Rebuilt the front CVAs with two hole pistons and yellow shock oil - with the increased leverage of the CRP setup I had to fit very stiff Monster Beetle springs and the largest stiffener I had. This was necessary as the truck was grip rolling as the combination of tighter turning circle and soft suspension saw it folding under itself. Body mounts are alloy ones produced by a TamiyaClub member - almost indistinguishable from the originals! Front and rear chassis braces have been fitted for some time. No idea if they do anything but it looks like it means business! Blasted the bearings, cleaned out all the old grease and rebuilt the gearbox with another small washer to remove some of the end float of the axle shafts to keep the diff slightly tighter - I did try two washers but this meant the diff was hard to turn - not good!Rear shocks have four hole pistons and red shock oil to make them as soft as possible and use Clod Buster springs. 3rd rear shock is a DF02 front shock. Rear shocks are angled to try and help dampen the heavy axle and the Tonka toy wheelie bar is just about holding on after the addition of the lipo battery.
The truck gets well used and some might say even a little abused – but with the re-release parts are not a problem so I don’t worry too much!
Comments and any more ideas always welcome!