Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Dialed_In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

Hey, new info is up on the mini's at the Traxxas site.

Also see post 42 on the page for links. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86...2/key_/tm.htm#
Old 04-10-2009, 07:08 PM
slotracer

Will this pinion work on the slash? I read that the titan 12t has an odd shaft size.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEX16&P=0

Also, do I need traxxas connectors for the battery pack?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 PM
fusebmx13

Yes that pinion will work. And also you do need a female connector for the battery unless you want to change all the connectors to like deans or something.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:32 PM
d.k.v

what shock oil is best 4 dirt as this morning i was jumping and landed on the front right wheel and now there is shock oil everywhere on the shock... reply asap

thanks
matt
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 PM
FairTax4me

Stock oil is about 30 weight. I run 35 because that's what I had when I rebuilt my shocks.

If you do a lot of jumping you will want to upgrade to aluminum shocks so the caps don't pop off like that all the time.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:53 PM
lestatsghost

1/16 slash released by traxxas today. 4wd VXL with 380 motor
Old 04-11-2009, 01:40 AM
unlucky13

OK so I have had my slash for a while now. Before i got it looked at the videos on you tube about the durability. So I see the truck new outta the box in the pool, full bore into the side of a truck and the bashing! Looks great. So I grab one. Well a few months down the road I take it out and bash the crap out of it through dirt,sand,water,mud. The mud screwed up the motor and/or the speed control? F-it I broke down and dropped the cash on a brush less 180bux. 11 volt batt. and hey it ran great for about 2 months-ish.
I run the crap out of it for the past week or so. Broke a few things that I knew were bound to give out. Ran it last week and the backshocks are gone there is no fixing the the rods are bent so oh well. Get new shocks took it out today jumping it off a little wal-mart bmx ramp. You know the cheap plastic one's. So about 20mins or so in to throwing it down and some kickin air it lands on the back bumper. No biggie right? I kick it over and run it for about 30seconds maybe. Now the Gear from the motor is gone! No power,no nothing! When this truck runs its great! But when it breaks every other time i run it now thats crap! Hey maybe I'm too hard on it? Maybe I should just run it on smooth paved roads? If I would have know that I would have saved 5 bills [:@]
Old 04-11-2009, 01:49 AM
unlucky13

I'll post pictures later. The only one's that I have now are the few from when I ruined it in the mud.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:22 AM
FairTax4me

ORIGINAL: unlucky13

OK so I have had my slash for a while now. Before i got it looked at the videos on you tube about the durability. So I see the truck new outta the box in the pool, full bore into the side of a truck and the bashing! Looks great. So I grab one. Well a few months down the road I take it out and bash the crap out of it through dirt,sand,water,mud. The mud screwed up the motor and/or the speed control? F-it I broke down and dropped the cash on a brush less 180bux. 11 volt batt. and hey it ran great for about 2 months-ish.
I run the crap out of it for the past week or so. Broke a few things that I knew were bound to give out. Ran it last week and the backshocks are gone there is no fixing the the rods are bent so oh well. Get new shocks took it out today jumping it off a little wal-mart bmx ramp. You know the cheap plastic one's. So about 20mins or so in to throwing it down and some kickin air it lands on the back bumper. No biggie right? I kick it over and run it for about 30seconds maybe. Now the Gear from the motor is gone! No power,no nothing! When this truck runs its great! But when it breaks every other time i run it now thats crap! Hey maybe I'm too hard on it? Maybe I should just run it on smooth paved roads? If I would have know that I would have saved 5 bills [:@]
Any truck is gonna break eventually. And when you mod the truck to make it faster than it was designed to be its gonna break more because it wasn't designed to hold up to the extra abuse that comes hand in hand with extra speed.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:31 PM
wookie_racer
My Feedback: (8)

i know i have had a few issues with the truck as well. out of the box the tires where not glued very well at all(came un-glued while diving) and the slipper is nothing but garbage. overly complicated. there is a saying "the mark of a good engineer is simplicity" or something to that effect. look at losi and AE....simple and the best there is, in fact most all companies use that style or similar....except traxxas
Old 04-11-2009, 03:25 PM
slotracer

OK, I am buying a slash, charger and battery along with a few other misc things. I believe the charger and batts will have standard connectors. So should I buy traxxas connectors for everything or a standard connector for the slash? Maybe Deans all around? I may want to run a spec class at some point.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:04 PM
FairTax4me

Buy Traxxas connectors for the batteries, and an adapter to use with the charger so you don't void the warranty.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSDC1&P=ML

You could also make one easy enough (cheaper) if you have some spare connectors laying around.

I prefer Deans myself, but if you switch the ESC battery connector to Deans it voids the warranty, so you should stick with the trx plugs.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:12 PM
slotracer

Thanks, thats good to know about the warranty.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 PM
slotracer

Does the slash have a male or female connector?

From the link you gave it appears the slash has a male connector. Will the adapter hold up to seven cells? the tower site says its not made for high current.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 PM
FairTax4me

The ESC will have a male connector. Your batteries should always have the female connector (non exposed terminals) to help prevent shorting.
This is what you need.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSDC4&P=SM

You would use the adapter ONLY for charging.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:21 PM
slotracer

Are you sure thats the right link? I believe the link you gave in post#1394 is all I need.
Here it is again.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSDC1&P=M

The charger (onyx210) and the battery should have standard connectors.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:27 PM
evader5700

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

Buy Traxxas connectors for the batteries, and an adapter to use with the charger so you don't void the warranty.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSDC1&P=ML

You could also make one easy enough (cheaper) if you have some spare connectors laying around.

I prefer Deans myself, but if you switch the ESC battery connector to Deans it voids the warranty, so you should stick with the trx plugs.
I personally wouldn't try making your own connector. Ive done it before. It can sometimes be hard and can turn out kinda bad, but you sort of have to end up doing it at some point.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:28 PM
fusebmx13

Ditch the standard connecters man. you only want one connection. Otherwise anything else is just lost current. I would not use standard connectors with 7 cell packs. I have seen them melt and ruin esc's before. Just use a female TRX connector for the pack, a male for the truck (already on) and a male for the charger. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
unlucky13

K so I tore my truck down again cleaned and lubed the rear end. I got it back together. Have a small problem. As i get on it it just screams a loud scratching noise? Maybe a messed up gear? any ways hear are a few pix of the Pro line body I threw on.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:36 PM
evader5700

something i was wondering about is my friend recently bought a hardcore body for his slash and painted it. After a little bashing though he had chipped of about 2/3 of the paint. Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this problem. He said he used mal-mart paint so im thinking that's most of the problem, but do you think that maybe like flexing the body or doing something like that prior to painting it would help.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:08 PM
unlucky13

Try paint made for RC cars only. It will have the flex in it.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:13 PM
FairTax4me

First you have to clean the body with dish soap, then you have to paint it with paint made for Lexan/Polycarbonate plastics. Any hobby shop will have plenty in stock.

Unlucky, That body is AWESOME! Are those Duff stickers or did you paint that on?

Oh the screaming noise is probably a loose slipper clutch.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 PM
unlucky13

stickers.
[link=http://www.house-of-grafix.net]House Of Grafix[/link]
Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 PM
socal450

ORIGINAL: evader5700

something i was wondering about is my friend recently bought a hardcore body for his slash and painted it. After a little bashing though he had chipped of about 2/3 of the paint. Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this problem. He said he used mal-mart paint so im thinking that's most of the problem, but do you think that maybe like flexing the body or doing something like that prior to painting it would help.
I ALWAYS CLEAN THE INSIDE OF BODY WITH RUBBING ALCOHOL AND OF COURSE THE RIGHT PAINT,SORRY DUDE THAT BODY IS NOW TRASH!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:50 PM
FairTax4me

That cheap paint can be peeled off. If its falling of on its own, it won't be that hard to pull off with your fingers or a plastic scraper. Then prep it the right way and use the right kind of paint it'll be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.