Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Heng Long MAD TRUCK Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:40 AM
doc1984

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Heng Long MAD TRUCK Thread

Here is a part list http://www.modellfun.com/docs/M10_spareparts.pdf
Old 01-16-2011, 05:47 PM
rcamateur

Thank you very much for the link you posted Doc1984 however the link doesn't seem to work. It looks like an old link no longer available. If you could scan the sheet as you previously mentioned sometime when you get a chance, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your help. You're a star!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:04 AM
doc1984

Not a problem i will dig it out and upload it for you
Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 AM
doc1984

cant find my manual at the moment but this is the part list i look at http://www.gadgetgalaxy.com.au/Mad%2...re%20Parts.htm all quiet simple to see what part is what
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 AM
hlmad3

I load it athttp://hobbyism.co.nz/Heng long Parts and Manuals .
Is the HL Lightning 3851-1 Users Guide .You can order it free
The Body in the Manual is different from Mad Truck .
But the Rest is the Same .
Sorry for my bad english . I am from Germany .

hlmad3
Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 AM
bosox5150
My Feedback: (1)

i also put in a 12v dewalt drill motor and im running an evx with 2 30c lipos and mine cooks! to aswer your ?about the suspension i used some stock emaxx shocks which are a bit longer but bolt right on if you simply swap the little steel pivots inside the screwn holes. take the ones from your mad truck shocks and put them in the emaxx shocks. this offers much better compression and stops that squishy side to side tilting you get when turning with the stock shocks. there is also a seller on ebay with some aluminum parts and the redcat, himoto, exceed turnbuckles also fit nicely! hope this helps!

ebay seller link,

http://stores.ebay.ca/rchobbydepot/_..._sid=320143365

Old 02-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Fatbear13

hi
Old 02-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Fatbear13

hello all

wanted to buy the mad truck.  if i do what parts and tools should i buy right of the start?   back-ups that i should have??  this will be my first rc truck and im looking for some experienced help.  thanks alot and hope 2  hear from u soon

Old 02-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Fatbear13

need help
Old 02-28-2011, 04:56 AM
manamp27

fatbear, take my advice and put your money toward something a little better. I bought one of these and they break easy. And parts are hard to find.

I have since bought a HPI e-firestorm and these are tough and require very few repairs in comparison. Spend a little more upfront and you'll have less downtime and less cost in the long run. If you don't want to stretch to HPI/Traxxas/etc, go for HSP.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Fatbear13

thanks for your help and would like to ask some more questions if u dont mind. i went looking for the RTR E-FIRESTORM 10 T and found there are 2 different kinds, RTR E-FIRESTORM 10HT also. these are the links and i have no idea what the differences are. http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/104703/and http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/10550/. Sorry to be such a bobo on Rc cars but I'M just starting out and dont know s@%# about them. I would appreciate the help if you can help me. RTR E-FIRESTORM 10 HT for 189.99 with the battery and charger. local hobby shop has it, good or bad deal??? thanks again for any help
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Martin1976

I have purchased the HL Mad Truck but have already had a problem, my front body mount pillar has broken think it is part number 50 52 and i cannot for the life of me find a replacement, if anyone can help i would be very grateful.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18009.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	1755329  
Old 05-21-2012, 12:17 PM
tyrone777

Hey all,
Bought 2 mad trucks recently, quick overview.
All of the electronic components are utter rubbish and will break or burn up sooner or later. 
The chassis however is not too bad at all considering the price. 
Metal gear diffs with 2 spider gears (as opposed to 4), full bearings throughout.  
The pinion gear is alum and will wear out very quickly, replace with steel or brass. 
Spur gear is ok but without a cover, which is a design flaw IMO. You can make one easy enough. 
Tyres are ok but too heavy for the vehicle, suggest swapping them for stadium truck tyres like proline gladiators or similar, less rotational mass.
Shocks are good quality, but the oil is WAY too heavy and needs to be thinned or replaced. 
Shock towers are a weak point and should be replaced with alum ones, if and when they break. 
The stock servo is average and although it has metal gears it is analogue and slow to respond You will need to replace the steering servo eventually, get a high torque digital one. The servo saver spring also is WAY TOO stiff and hence casues the servo to wear prematurely, it should be replaced or at least cut and stretched. You might be able to turn the servo saver adjustment screw ring upside down to give a bit more free play also.
Drive train in general is good but not as strong as it could be.
Diff input gears might need shimming to make good contact and avoid gears jumping, mind you, many diffs in general need this done.
Diffs also need to be repacked with a decent grease as the one they use tends to dry up. 
I would highly recommend making an decent alum bumper bar to mount to the chassis as it saves breaking many parts in collisions. 
You can run a brushless system without problems so long as you don't go nuts with power, anything above a 10t 3900Kv motor should be fine, and definetly get an esc with soft start feature so you dont strip gears. The hobbywing ezrun 60a v2 esc is ideal in this respect. No need to run 11.1V lipo as 7.4V is more than enough.
Having done all those mods the truck is now decent to reliably bash around without breaking parts all the time.
To summarise, the mad truck is a decent basher or even race truck if you are willing to spend some time and money to upgrade it. However I would not recommend anyone to buy one brand new unless they get it REALLY cheap. 

Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 PM
tyrone777

Hey broke my first part on the mad truck, an internal diff gear. Not surprised really as I have really thrashed them.
I have put a Ezrun 60v2 esc in both trucks and paired them with the Ezrun 9T motors with the stock 16T pinion gears. Still ridiculously powerful and fast with top speed about 70kh. I have decided to scale down the motor pinion to an 11T to reduce the top speed and place a bit less stress on the drive train. The ESC is configured for soft start anyway so torque can be controlled. By the way the gear mesh size is MOD 1 or M1 if anyone is interested, its usually used in nitro offroaders. Most M1 pinions have a 5mm shaft size but you can buy adaptors to fit them to a 3.2mm (1/8) motor shaft. (this is what I had to do).

Old 03-08-2015, 07:16 AM
xism

Originally Posted by Damo_MadTruck
Hey Simon, in picture 3 i just put the truck there for a nice pose, but it could easily drive down that, and it will probably drive up that with a different geared motor and crawler setup. Have you seen the videos on youtube with this truck modified into a crawler.

They claim that it goes 60 kmh and that is horse$%1t, but it will reach around 50 kmh with a good battery.

The stock radio is good, a bit complicated to use though. The range is quarter mile as far as i read somewhere, ive never gone out of range. The esc and servo response is all good.

My esc is set just forward to reverse, but im pretty sure you can set it to brake.

Hope this helps!
50?! Just had the laugh for the century, sorry for the bump but lies should be fighted. Either you work for them or that was just a typo?! you sure you didnt mean 5 or 15 kmh?
Old 03-11-2015, 06:09 AM
earthdogjim

I just bought a used HL Weight Grade from Ebay for $70 and is basically the same truck as a Mad Truck. Mine has a 5300kv brushless system and the truck hauls pretty good. I have been bashing the Weight Grade for a month now and nothing has broken.
With the brushless in there I would say mine will hit a good 45mph on my gravel driveway.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	675
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	2080614   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150225_123139[1].jpg
Views:	64
Size:	982.5 KB
ID:	2080615   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	807
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	2080616   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.JPG
Views:	719
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	2080617  
Old 03-30-2016, 06:07 PM
KimSamantha71

Default About the battery

My boyfriend just bought me a mad truck and then he bout himself one too and we noticed that the battery fully charged doesn't last that long like 20-25 minutes, his brother-in-law suggested to get a lipo battery, just this last Tuesday he went to hobbytownusa and got a lipo battery and we have brush motor, he forgot to ask the guy at hobbytown usa if the battery would be ok with the brush motor that we have on the mad trucks. We just trying to find a stronger battery to use in the mad trucks.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:58 PM
xlDooM

Lipo is fine on brushed motors, but if your ESC is not equipped with a lipo-friendly low voltage cutoff, you need to get a low voltage alarm as well or you will destroy the lipo by discharging it below the safety limit. I know nothing about that truck so I can't tell you if it has it or not.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:27 AM
thehuntingterminator

Originally Posted by KimSamantha71
My boyfriend just bought me a mad truck and then he bout himself one too and we noticed that the battery fully charged doesn't last that long like 20-25 minutes, his brother-in-law suggested to get a lipo battery, just this last Tuesday he went to hobbytownusa and got a lipo battery and we have brush motor, he forgot to ask the guy at hobbytown usa if the battery would be ok with the brush motor that we have on the mad trucks. We just trying to find a stronger battery to use in the mad trucks.
The motor will have no clue that you are using a LiPo, as long as it is a 2 cell (7.4v). The other important thing to remember is that you must have a LiPo capable charger and charge it correctly, or it can have disastrous results. Whatever you do, do NOT use the stock charger that came with the truck to charge the LiPo.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:08 AM
KimSamantha71

The guy at hobbytown usa told my boyfriend and he bought a adaptor and a charger for. So what do I need to make sure runs ok and that it doesn't over heat.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:10 AM
KimSamantha71

Is there another kind of battery that will last longer in the mad trucks. I just want to have more running time with it.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:42 AM
KimSamantha71

My boyfriend bought us a couple of mad trucks off ebay and we noticed that the battery fully charged doesn't last that long and his brother-in-law suggested to get lipo battery, we are just trying to figure it if the lipo is ok to use in our mad trucks and the motor is brushed. We just want a battery that will have more run time, any suggestions.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:27 PM
KimSamantha71

I was looking online and I see one that is a 5000mah and it is not a lipo and there is another one that is 4200mah would either these be ok for the mad trucks.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:23 AM
xlDooM

You are confusing me, lady. Your boyfriend bought lipo batteries, these are the best battery tech you will find, much lower weight for the same capacity, and they don't slow down the truck as they discharge (they keep voltage better). You said he also bought a charger and an adapter, so all you need now is a low voltage alarm because it looks like the standard ESC is crap and probably doesn't have it. It's like a $2 part, stick it somewhere with some velcro or double sided tape and plug the lipo balance lead into it. Stop driving when it beeps at you. You certainly can just buy a bigger NiMH battery, but it will be twice as heavy if it's got twice the capacity.

I highly recommend reading up a little about this hobby. It will take you at least a few hours before you're able to understand every post in this thread, and to know what you can and cannot do with your trucks.