Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Quick Learner assembly question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Quick Learner assembly question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 12:44 PM
slavik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Learner assembly question

Hi all,

I am complete newbie, this is my first heli and I have nobody around to ask questions to

The assembly instructions are not quite clear (and I need your help here) about how exactly the upper fan collet should be placed above the fan hub: with reduced part toward the engine (hub) or vice versa?

I suspect that the upper collet should slide with it's reduced side into the hub and I tried to do that (by hand) but I failed - it seems that the coller is slightly wider then the hole in the hub.

Any comment are highly appreciated.

cheers,
slavik
Old 06-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Read this thread - http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...=quick+learner]
Old 06-26-2003, 06:28 AM
tindra

Hi Slavik!
I had the exakt problem as you! There has been a batch of faulty collets. They are to big. Have it replaced with a new one!
Peter
Old 06-26-2003, 07:27 AM
slavik

Default still not sure

Thank you guys,

but I am still not sure about the proper fit of the upper fan collet. Please consider the picture bellow. The best I can currently achieved is displayed on the right (as the collet is little bit wider then the hub, but then again, may be it's how should it is meant to be?).

How does the collet fit in your heli?

cheers,
slavik
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	89408_31326.gif
Views:	7
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	48952  
Old 06-26-2003, 08:28 AM
tindra

Mine was exactly the same, to BIG. It is supposed to be like the example to the left on your pic. It shall not be wider. Replace it with a new one! After replacement with a new one, it fits perfect!
Peter
Old 07-14-2003, 01:49 PM
slavik

Default Yet another question (Q30L)

This time it is about seesaw installation.

In the manual it is said that the seesaw is installed using M3-8 cap-head bolts and seesaw collars.
So far so good, but the problem is that the collars I've got are ~10mm long, making impossible to use 8mm bolts with them.
I don't know what's wrong: collars, bolts or the manual, that's why I need your help. (I suspect that I'll have to cut the collars but I am not sure to what length)

I'll appreciate your help,

Cheers,
Slavik
Old 07-17-2003, 08:31 PM
tindra

Hi Slavik!
I returned tonight from the airshow at Duxford(England) and will check my Learner tomorrow!
Peter
Old 07-18-2003, 06:48 PM
tindra

Slavik!
I have measured my collar. It is 5,3mm overall. The bearing is 4,0mm and this will make the collar stick out 0,5mm on the "backside". I didnīt have to cut my collars. They where perfect from the start!
Peter
Old 07-21-2003, 06:19 AM
slavik

Default Thanks Peter!

Originally posted by tindra
<snip>
It is 5,3mm overall. The bearing is 4,0mm and this will make the collar stick out 0,5mm on the "backside".
<snip>
I did my calculations and get the same result (~5.5mm). After cutting the collars fit perfectly.
I suppose that I've got collars are for a bigger Quick, but anyhow - longer collars are better then shorter as one can always cut them to necessary length (they could mention that in the manual, though)

You asked about fitting OS.50 to Quick Learner - well, I did that successfully with two modifications: I had to take off ~2mm of the muffler (see below) because the engine sits a little bit low and muffler gets in contact with the right angle rail, also I had to increase the length of the throttle control arm by ~10mm.

Cheers,
Slavik
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2003, 12:26 PM
tindra

Slavik.
I have been out flying today! The Learner buzzes around perfectly! Itīs a beauty to fly! I received my Heli certificate last week! That was the target for this year. Now I am ahead so a will start to train on autos and perhaps a looping before the winter!? Let me know when you have fired your heli up first time!
Peter
Old 07-23-2003, 05:34 AM
slavik

Default Congratulations!

Well, I think I'll be ready with my Quick in a week or two.
BTW, have you got thrust bearings for the main blade grips? I have a question there too...

Thrust bearings upgrade comes with a spindle which is longer (to compensate additional bearings, I guess) than the one in the kit. When everything is installed, there is ~0.7mm space between each blade grip and the hub. Is it normal or shall I put additional spacers on the flange bolts to take the gap off?

Cheers,
Slavik
Old 07-23-2003, 08:17 AM
tindra

I donīt have any thrust bearings since I only run a TT39. I think that there shall not be any space of 0,7mm. Can you shorten the spindle axle instead of spacers? Unfortunately I crashed the Learner yesterday, but it will soon fly again. See pics on my homepage.
Peter
Old 07-23-2003, 10:27 AM
slavik

Default I am sorry for your Quick!

I hope it will be fixed soon!
I saw the pictures on your site - it doesn't look too bad. Is the main shaft bent?
And what actually happened? Was it a pilot mistake or mechanical failure?
Old 07-23-2003, 06:38 PM
tindra

I can aswell admit that it was a stupid, stupid mistake of me. I had flown a few tanks and decided to play with the needles a bit. So I retracted the antennae in order to not step on it when the radio was on the ground. After some adjustments I stood up, grabbed the radio and started to fly again, without the antenna out! After 50 meters of flying the heli was almost uncontrolable. I managed the get the heli down to about 3 feet above the ground when it finally tilted to the side and the blades struck the ground. Damagereport: Bent main mast and tail axle, hillerarm missing(pobably in orbit!), bladeholder broken, flybar bent, servo gears broken in one servo and the rotorblades are about 200 mm shorter. Tailboom is ok! Could have been worse! I will never ever fly with a retracted antennae again! I will receive the spareparts tomorrow so it will soon be flying again!
Peter
Old 08-06-2003, 07:20 AM
slavik

Default Swashplate to hiller rod question

I hope this will be my last assembly question

Now I have all head mechanics and linkages installed and properly aligned. However there is a small problem: the swashplate to hiller rod gets in contact with the seesaw (red circle on the picture below).
Turning the washout unit clockwise (in relation to the rotor head) will fix the problem but it's not an option because I am pretty sure that the current alignment of the rotor head relative to the washout unit is correct. Given that, I think I have only two options left: to put longer pivot ball on the hiller (green circle on the picture) or take ~2mm from the seesaw at the point where it gets into contact with the rod (red circle).
Please advise me what option to choose. How would longer pivot ball effect flying characteristics?

Thanks in advance,
Slavik
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99601_31326.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	48954  
Old 08-06-2003, 02:09 PM
tindra

Hi Slavik!
Mine look exactly the same! Simply turn the head until there is enough room for the links everywhere. When done, the links will not be absolutely angular but a bit scewed. This is no problem when flying. Donīt add an offset pivot ball. Donīt remove any material from the seesaw.
Peter
Old 08-07-2003, 06:22 AM
slavik

Default I am little bit confused...

Originally posted by tindra

<snip>
Simply turn the head until there is enough room for the links everywhere. When done, the links will not be absolutely angular but a bit scewed. This is no problem when flying.
<snip>
Peter,
this was what I initially did but I was told that this is not right because the correct alignment of the rotorhead is when the flybar don't move on left/right cyclic command when it's aligned with the tail boom and on forward/backward command when it is perpendicular to the tail boom.
Is the above rule mandatory or not?
Unfortunately I have little time to surf the net for the answer.
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-07-2003, 08:00 PM
tindra

Slavik,
The problems you mention is ok, but they are not so important for you at the moment. See to that no links are binding and get that heli airborne! I have no problem with the alignment of the links during flight. They are not perp. or absolutely aligned, but it will work fine for you anyway. If you still are in doubt I can take a picture of my rotorhead for you.
Peter
Old 08-08-2003, 06:01 AM
slavik

Peter,
I'll appreciate if you post some pictures of your rotorhead!
You are saying that it's not aligned as the above mentioned rule suggests - does this mean that when you push cyclic stick forward your heli moves to left or right also?
Thanks,
slavik