Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hawk crash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hawk crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gjhinshaw,

I doubt that anyone is going to be sued for discrimination. FEJ is not a protected class or group that I'm aware of. Again, I think you're missing the point. Here's a little story:

I twice had occasion to assemble FEJ ARFs (for customers) where I soon became aware that they could not possibly have ever attempted to assemble one themselves before sending the kits out the door. In both cases, major components could not fit inside the airplane together (like the pipe could not physically exist inside the plane along with the bypass that came with it). In one case, the stab servo and the fin spar were supposed to occupy the same space at the same time. After going through a lot of fits and starts to fix everything and get the ARF assembled (let alone airworthy), I came to the conclusion that I didn't need to see the entire lineup to know that I didn't trust the people who sent that stuff out the door to do anything else. I also figured if most of the air cylinders involved with those two planes failed, and the landing gear NEVER worked in the air, then it stood to reason that I the rest of their work was probably the same. So the point is, you don't need to see a failure in every single offering by a given company to know they've got issues. I think at this point, there's enough clear evidence. BTW, I think it's smart that you removed FEJ from your signature line...however that came about.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:00 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary,

Your posts are completely absurd and without sound basis in thought.

Originally Posted by gjhinshaw
Andy,

I understand what you are saying....BUT...... Now "YOU" as a CD could be sued for Discrimination! BS! The legal basis for discrimination remains only those based upon race, sex, religious beliefs or sexual orientation. you know it will happen.....
I have been working on my FEJ, Yes... The one I have for sale, and I have completely redone the Whole tail section and elevator's. Not much left in there of there's..... I know I sell FEJ, Haven't sold one yet, ....BUT... I can tell you that If I WERE to sell one It would have to be the ones that don't have a history..... Just being honest! When I ordered my jet I asked for pictures as they built it and before they put the parts together.... I did get some pictures from them.....

To Ban ALL FEJ, That won't happen because there is "No Proof" that ALL FEJ are bad, Am I correct?? As a matter of fact you are not! There only has to be shown that a consistent pattern of failure has occurred in a certain design. This is no different than an entire fleet of full scale aircraft being grounded due to issues in a few batteries. We are wayyy past that point! You would have to have a list if EVERY jet they make and have MANY many numbers of crashes. Again, a complete crock of I have told you and many others about getting Insurance for there jets, To date, Only ONE........ ONE person has made the call...... Why is this????? Why, won't people call to find out the truth???? It maybe that they think they know it all and have decided that there is NO WAY..... WELL... They are wrong!! I would be happy to REPOST this information and again, to just see how many actually call!!!!! If you had ANY credibility left on this forum, perhaps some would call, but you continue to decimate whatever credibility you had with these really outlandish posts Andy, Do yourself a favor and call..... It makes it easier to fly your jets!!! Gary, do yourself a favor and......, never mind, it's probably too late!
David S

Last edited by David Searles; 09-22-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy,

I understand what you are saying....BUT...... Now "YOU" as a CD could be sued for Discrimination! you know it will happen.....
I have been working on my FEJ, Yes... The one I have for sale, and I have completely redone the Whole tail section and elevator's. Not much left in there of there's..... I know I sell FEJ, Haven't sold one yet, ....BUT... I can tell you that If I WERE to sell one It would have to be the ones that don't have a history..... Just being honest! When I ordered my jet I asked for pictures as they built it and before they put the parts together.... I did get some pictures from them.....

To Ban ALL FEJ, That won't happen because there is "No Proof" that ALL FEJ are bad, Am I correct?? You would have to have a list if EVERY jet they make and have MANY many numbers of crashes. I have told you and many others about getting Insurance for there jets, To date, Only ONE........ ONE person has made the call...... Why is this????? Why, won't people call to find out the truth???? It maybe that they think they know it all and have decided that there is NO WAY..... WELL... They are wrong!! I would be happy to REPOST this information and again, to just see how many actually call!!!!! Andy, Do yourself a favor and call..... It makes it easier to fly your jets!!!
Sued for discrimination against fej? Really!! What law is that? What a joke!
Are you making things up again, or did the epoxy fumes get to you?

No proof is needed to enact a ban ... the government does things like this all the time. And as a Course Director, it would simply become his wish to do so ... and it is done. Gripe all you want if a CD enacts a ban, but it could be done. Even on the club level. Clubs do things like this frequently, and for whatever reason they want. End of discussion. Then they refuse to discuss it further.

Last edited by Airplanes400; 09-22-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't make posts like this tinal the regular suspects will bash you and have your post removed.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol wow amazing...hey we should get together and sue all the AMA sanctioned clubs that discriminate against turbines....Unbelievable.
(Intense sarcasm intended)
Old 09-22-2013, 07:00 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I asked AMA about this before KY Jets, I was told a ARF has to be flown as is and moving the MAC is not allowed This area of the rules has some gray areas. This was told to me by the individual that works the large model stuff at AMA, I forget his name. If I built this model from scratch I must use the AMAs MAC formula, that being said you would think they would have done this if they had any clue how to build a jet. You have to remember not all of fejs jets had honeycomb in the wrong places, when the honeycomb first started they only used it on the skin and everything else was still ply. I have no idea why they started replacing ply with honeycomb(cheaper maybe?) I dont know. I told them after I bought my F-16 not to use honeycomb in the areas they started using it in and I requested all ply when I ordered my two jets. If you look back you will see my f-14 is all ply unlike the ones that have crashed, the only reason this f-15 had any honeycomb in it was due to the first one being sent back to JAmes and a new one was built due to shipping damage. As for the stab insides, I have already drilled and borescoped the f-14, will be doing the f-15 before it flies. If I think these jets are unsafe I will not fly them, I have a few weapons that I havent even shot yet and a itchy trigger finger
Originally Posted by rcjets_63
Keith,

Regarding your F-14 and F-15 you are obviously putting in a lot of work and you mentioned correcting some visible issues. What are your thoughts on the areas that are sealed or otherwise not visible such as the internal stab and wing structure? EDFJim found that the factory installed stab pivots on the F-14 are at 27.4% MAC (well aft of the AMA allowable range) and thus prone to flutter. Is FEJ sending out new stabs and mechanisms to their customers? If not, are you planning on moving the pivots? What are your thoughts on X-raying the stabs to get some idea of the internal structure and pivot attachment within the stab?

Jim

Last edited by FenderBean; 09-22-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

First of all any club or event director can refuse permission to a participant as long as its not based on what is clearly defined as discriminatory under present legislation.

Most of what people refer to as rules of the organization is simply guidelines and as such don’t really have any teeth to them. In fact most clubs have more enforceable rules than the parent organizations AMA or MAAC.

Take for instance these radios by Hobby King. These are not approved in either the US or Canada and both organizations recommend that you not use them. Neither organization bans them nor, if you ask will using them void your insurance. This is what you need to understand about a recommendation.

Now lets say at an event someone were to show up with heaven forbid a 40% or jet guided by one of these radios. The club determines this is not safe and makes a ruling banning these radios at this event. The club has now made a determination that the unapproved radios made by Hobby King are not safe. The club now would assume sole responsibility if they allowed these radios to be used at any other time and an accident were to take place.

The same when you ban a particular model at an event. Once banned how is it safe to fly at any other time. Be careful about banning things under the guise of safety. Once you determine something is not safe it will not become ok to fly it when the event is over. Unsafe is unsafe.

We just went through this minefield with the Hobby King stuff. Tough call either way.

Dennis
Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

some posts here remind me to this scene from The Waterboy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soXMCkoWfQo
Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 PM
dbsonic

boroscopes might be the best way to inspect these things actually. I cant imagine x-rays being cheap or easy to get unless you already have access.
Buy an ARF and might as well buy a boroscope to go along with it. This helps address the quality control part of the problem. It does not address the design flaw part however.

So, Dreamworks has one as does Harbor Freight. Anybody used either of these and have an opinion?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM
FenderBean

I have the dreamworks one, It needs a longer cable but you can get one from any electronics store since its USB. Has an adjustable light and software is simple.
Originally Posted by dbsonic
boroscopes might be the best way to inspect these things actually. I cant imagine x-rays being cheap or easy to get unless you already have access.
Buy an ARF and might as well buy a boroscope to go along with it. This helps address the quality control part of the problem. It does not address the design flaw part however.

So, Dreamworks has one as does Harbor Freight. Anybody used either of these and have an opinion?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:39 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Dennis,

We also went threw this at our club. We voted to have the radio banned...... BUT since we fly on a PUBLIC Field it didn't hold up. WHY..... Because we were told that the Field is PUBLIC and we have NO control over it, UNLESS we go to the city meeting and get them to ban it. Just saying.. so come on with your comments, again.......

Originally Posted by Propworn
First of all any club or event director can refuse permission to a participant as long as its not based on what is clearly defined as discriminatory under present legislation.

Most of what people refer to as rules of the organization is simply guidelines and as such don’t really have any teeth to them. In fact most clubs have more enforceable rules than the parent organizations AMA or MAAC.

Take for instance these radios by Hobby King. These are not approved in either the US or Canada and both organizations recommend that you not use them. Neither organization bans them nor, if you ask will using them void your insurance. This is what you need to understand about a recommendation.

Now lets say at an event someone were to show up with heaven forbid a 40% or jet guided by one of these radios. The club determines this is not safe and makes a ruling banning these radios at this event. The club has now made a determination that the unapproved radios made by Hobby King are not safe. The club now would assume sole responsibility if they allowed these radios to be used at any other time and an accident were to take place.

The same when you ban a particular model at an event. Once banned how is it safe to fly at any other time. Be careful about banning things under the guise of safety. Once you determine something is not safe it will not become ok to fly it when the event is over. Unsafe is unsafe.

We just went through this minefield with the Hobby King stuff. Tough call either way.

Dennis
Old 09-22-2013, 07:42 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JackD, so true!

Fender, glad you're working on your planes with eyes wide open. I wish you nothing but success with the F-15 and F-14.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM
FenderBean

Thanks man im just trying to make the best of it and help folks a long the way. I just hate to see so much negative stuff in the hobby its suppose to be fun but I agree something has to change.
Originally Posted by dubd
JackD, so true!

Fender, glad you're working on your planes with eyes wide open. I wish you nothing but success with the F-15 and F-14.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Propworn

Dennis,

We also went threw this at our club. We voted to have the radio banned...... BUT since we fly on a PUBLIC Field it didn't hold up. WHY..... Because we were told that the Field is PUBLIC and we have NO control over it, UNLESS we go to the city meeting and get them to ban it. Just saying.. so come on with your comments, again.......
You’re absolutely right you have no control over the actions of the general public. That being said the club bears no responsibility for their actions either. On lands managed by your Army Corps of Engineers where it is posted you must have AMA to fly there I know you only have the right to ask for assistance to have someone removed from the site if they do not have a valid AMA card. At other times there may be a special event where an agreement exists where the club has exclusive use of the field regardless of it being public property. At those times the club can determine the rules and what is acceptable.

If your club voted to ban these radios then the only ones that would be affected would be club members. Not the general public. Your club members would be expected to abide by the ban. As to the general public they are responsible for their own actions and except for those special occasions where the club has exclusive use of the field the club could not enforce the ban on the general public.

Private airfields and clubs are a different matter.

It’s too bad so many of the clubs in the US have to rely on using public land. I have flown at clubs both on private land and public land and the difference in many cases is night and day.

Dennis
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

How does one go about getting an Updated FEJ stab for the 1.45 hawk if they have made a fix I would like to get the updated stab. the 2 flights I put on it haven't resulted in a crash, but I'm not flying it again after reading about 3 hawk crashes for the same issue.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
If these radios aren't approved by the FCC then it's a no brainer. They can't be used in the USA.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
If these radios aren't approved by the FCC then it's a no brainer. They can't be used in the USA.
You are correct in that the FCC can charge you for using these radios. It doesn’t stop people from buying them or using them. Some of them even come with counterfeit approval stickers on them. There is a US warehouse that sells these radios and if the FCC isn’t going to close them down or curtail the sales I don’t see them chasing individuals to file charges.

In Canada our organization is trying to come up with a solution to this problem they are not approved here as well.

Dennis
Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Keith,

Interesting response from the AMA. One would think that the MAC range would be applicable to all airframes, both scratch built and ARF. Sounds like they are assuming the ARF is proven which may not be the case. If it was me, I'd move the pivot for what that's worth.

I applaud you for checking things out with a borescope. I've been meaning to pick up one of those myself. When checking the stabs or wings, you see something you don't like or are unsure about and want to bounce it off a structures AE, feel free to give me a call. You might also be able to easily get an x-ray. A couple of years back there was a big concern over F-20 stabs and pivot attachment points. One of the owners brought his stabs to an airport and got the TSA to x-ray them. I guess he went at a off-peak hour as they really knocked themselves out to help the guy and turned the effort into a training exercise. He got some great pics. Just a thought.

Jim
Old 09-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The quality issues with FEJ jets & subsequent losses, have been doing the rounds for years. They have been posted on various forums & must be almost universally known throughout the jet community. Yet people still buy the beautifully painted models.
I think by now, anyone who buys FEJ, do so at there own risk & if it all goes wrong, do not come on RCU complaining about it.
I am sure some will say that not everyone reads the forums & will not know, well more fool them for not doing some homework. People buying the type of jets that are mentioned, are not rookies & should be well versed in seeking out info before parting with thousands of $$$.
But as always, there's one born every minute.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Aussie1

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We have had several failures over this way with the Chinese ARFs and even though they look fantastic from the outside, they can be a time bomb hidden away inside the skin! I am not mentioning any names here but these pics show the very poor construction method on a large F16, that crashed during a fast low pass. It hit the runway DIRECTLY in front of the flying pilots, completely out of control, after one stab parted from the tail. Needless to say, it was only luck that nobody was hurt. The anti rotation spar was actually a small rod inserted into a balsa box!! I feel that one layer of the skin should be cut away around all of the high stress areas and suitably beefed up. The skin than be re-attached, knowing that it was stronger than before.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F16 remains.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1924107   Click image for larger version

Name:	F16 torque tube.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	661.0 KB
ID:	1924108   Click image for larger version

Name:	F16 horizontal sbab.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	495.7 KB
ID:	1924109  
Old 09-22-2013, 09:52 PM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

I have told you and many others about getting Insurance for there jets, To date, Only ONE........ ONE person has made the call...... Why is this????? Why, won't people call to find out the truth???? It maybe that they think they know it all and have decided that there is NO WAY..... WELL... They are wrong!! I would be happy to REPOST this information and again, to just see how many actually call!!!!! Andy, Do yourself a favor and call..... It makes it easier to fly your jets!!!

Gerry,
Since you have advised several times for people to buy insurance, and I'm the "one" who checked it out, I need to let you know how it went. My State Farm agent (for 26 years) checked and was unable to obtain coverage at all. Each area of the country has a regional underwriter who decides what they will cover. I was told that the southeast regional underwriter for my company, though it is the same as your company, wouldn't touch this type of coverage at any price. He suggested looking into some specialty insurance company, but couldn't provide a lead on that. I didn't bother myself because I think it would be more $ than I'd be willing to pay. So, if you have State Farm, and you live in the SouthEast, you're outta luck on model airplane insurance.

Further, I doubt seriously that your own insurance company would cover you on some of the airframes that have become recurring problems, as they are "known or existing issues". It would be like obtaining auto coverage after being rear-ended in your Pinto. You might want to contact your company and be certain that you are indeed covered if you are flying any of the jets that are already known to be defective.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:23 PM
FenderBean

I never thought about the airport type scanner, we have a air force terminal here at Fort Campbell that is used for when people fly in and out for deployments they are never busy. I will swing buy and see what I can get scanned I bet they would be up for it.
Originally Posted by rcjets_63
Keith,

Interesting response from the AMA. One would think that the MAC range would be applicable to all airframes, both scratch built and ARF. Sounds like they are assuming the ARF is proven which may not be the case. If it was me, I'd move the pivot for what that's worth.

I applaud you for checking things out with a borescope. I've been meaning to pick up one of those myself. When checking the stabs or wings, you see something you don't like or are unsure about and want to bounce it off a structures AE, feel free to give me a call. You might also be able to easily get an x-ray. A couple of years back there was a big concern over F-20 stabs and pivot attachment points. One of the owners brought his stabs to an airport and got the TSA to x-ray them. I guess he went at a off-peak hour as they really knocked themselves out to help the guy and turned the effort into a training exercise. He got some great pics. Just a thought.

Jim
Old 09-23-2013, 12:32 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would still buy airplanes from FEJ. They continually show they don't have a clue how to engineer their aircraft structure, and repeatedly show a complete lack of understanding of the concept of customer service.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:48 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would still buy airplanes from FEJ. They continually show they don't have a clue how to engineer their aircraft structure, and repeatedly show a complete lack of understanding of the concept of customer service.
One reason is that FEJ planes use to be cheaper than alternatives. Another is that dealers (in the US at least) lead unsuspecting customers into thinking the planes are high quality. It was tempting when FEJ offered a plane that was not offered by another manufacturer.

The hype machine around FEJ was high for the past year or so and now perception is that the brand represents junk. Anecdotally, I hear non-jet guys laugh and snicker when FEJ is brought up at local fields. You might as well say you own a Yugo painted with pigeon crap. FEJ has single handedly destroyed their brand and now only the penny wise and pound foolish will buy them.

Last edited by dubd; 09-23-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:56 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen, Doug. Amen.

Just look at all the work Keith is (very wisely) doing to his so-called "ARF"'s from FEJ just to make sure they have a chance of being airworthy. And all this on top of already parting with some serious cash for them! He's had to do so much re-engineering, he might as well just have ordered the molds and built straight from the layup.

Probably would have taken less time,...and at least then you know it would be done right.

Sluggo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.