Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 09:16 AM
dccatl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wfield0455
David, Have you verified that your secondary receiver, connected via PPM is actually working correctly by disabling the primary RF section and verifying that your servos still operate properly ? It's really easy to get something wrong here and the only way to be sure ti's working properly is to go into the Advanced, Wireless Setting menu and use F1 (antenna icon) to get into the menu that allows you to disable each transmitter RF section independently. If you disable the primary RF section and everything still works you SHOULD be good to go.IF you disable the secondary RF section you should get Morse code S. Still, since I select Alarm at Loss of any receiver, I usually disable the Morse code alarms. Also,you may want to try replacing the male to male cable between the receivers as if you have a loose fitting pin or an internal break in the cable which would also cause these types of problems. I know a bad cable seems really unlikely but stranger things have happened and I've even had a receiver that refused to bind which turned out to be caused by a bad bind plug.

Also, with a REX 7, did you actually go through all the gyrations with a Jetibox to enable morse code Alarm S ? I thought by default the REX receivers had this disabled but I may be wrong about that but I seem to recall having to jump through all sorts of hoops with a Jetibox to enable Morse Code S on the proper input.
Wayne, Yes, I did as you note and disabled the applicable RF unit from the transmitter and verified the alarms and servo control but I'm going to repeat that tonight to make sure. I also did set/verify the Morse code alarm in the REX 7 using the Jetibox on the transmitter. I verified this last night and also verified that no other port on either Rx was set to use the same S alarm.

Also, did you see my follow on question regarding the REX 7 and R3? Is it possible to use the R3's pin 4 configured as EX Bus as an input to the REX 7's pin 7 also configured as EX Bus? If so, would there be any advantage to using this over PPM? I thought the Ex Bus protocol was faster and not affected by output period timing, but I admit my understanding of much of this is limited.

If I don't do anything else I'm going to try another cable using twisted servo wire since it can't hurt and see if the issue recurs on my next outing.

Thanks for your help,
David
Old 03-06-2018, 10:48 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dccatl
Wayne, Yes, I did as you note and disabled the applicable RF unit from the transmitter and verified the alarms and servo control but I'm going to repeat that tonight to make sure. I also did set/verify the Morse code alarm in the REX 7 using the Jetibox on the transmitter. I verified this last night and also verified that no other port on either Rx was set to use the same S alarm.

Also, did you see my follow on question regarding the REX 7 and R3? Is it possible to use the R3's pin 4 configured as EX Bus as an input to the REX 7's pin 7 also configured as EX Bus? If so, would there be any advantage to using this over PPM? I thought the Ex Bus protocol was faster and not affected by output period timing, but I admit my understanding of much of this is limited.

If I don't do anything else I'm going to try another cable using twisted servo wire since it can't hurt and see if the issue recurs on my next outing.

Thanks for your help,
David
David,
No, it's not possible to use port 4 of the R3 configured for EX Bus into your REX7, at least I've never been able to get this to work with anything other than PPM and I did try at one point. For what it's worth, I don't care much for the Morse Code Alarms and since there is already a proper alarm setting in the Wireless Trainer menu (Alarm on loss of any receiver) I felt it was redundant so I have simply been turning it off lately. When flying my 4.7M ASW20 sailplane at the limit of my eyesight I have occasionally received a low Q alarm for one of the receivers while circling in a thermal.I looked in the log and could see that one receiver had very low Q while the other receiver had excellent reception. This was an antenna diversity issue as the orientations were changing while the airplane circled. I figured if I could detect this condition, then that was good enough for me so I simply disable Morse Code alarm S these days. The only time I use Morse code S is with a Clone receiver which has no telemetry back to the transmitter, then it's still useful.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 AM
dccatl

David,
No, it's not possible to use port 4 of the R3 configured for EX Bus into your REX7, at least I've never been able to get this to work with anything other than PPM and I did try at one point. For what it's worth, I don't care much for the Morse Code Alarms and since there is already a proper alarm setting in the Wireless Trainer menu (Alarm on loss of any receiver) I felt it was redundant so I have simply been turning it off lately. When flying my 4.7M ASW20 sailplane at the limit of my eyesight I have occasionally received a low Q alarm for one of the receivers while circling in a thermal.I looked in the log and could see that one receiver had very low Q while the other receiver had excellent reception. This was an antenna diversity issue as the orientations were changing while the airplane circled. I figured if I could detect this condition, then that was good enough for me so I simply disable Morse Code alarm S these days. The only time I use Morse code S is with a Clone receiver which has no telemetry back to the transmitter, then it's still useful.
OK then, that saves me the trouble of trying the Ex-Bus route. Your rationale for disabling the Morse code alarm makes sense as well, so I will probably end up doing the same.

Thanks again for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

David
Old 03-06-2018, 03:07 PM
wfield0455

OK then, that saves me the trouble of trying the Ex-Bus route. Your rationale for disabling the Morse code alarm makes sense as well, so I will probably end up doing the same.

Thanks again for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

David
Probably still a good idea to try to understand what is causing the message before disabling the Morse code alarms. Perhaps if you can reproduce it, try disabling the primary RF section and make sure everything still works via the PPM link just to be sure it's a bogus Morse Code alarm. Don't want to end up ignoring a real fault. I just disabled them because I figured I didn't need them but I never experienced what you're seeing. Good luck getting it sorted out..
Old 03-06-2018, 04:57 PM
dccatl

Probably still a good idea to try to understand what is causing the message before disabling the Morse code alarms. Perhaps if you can reproduce it, try disabling the primary RF section and make sure everything still works via the PPM link just to be sure it's a bogus Morse Code alarm. Don't want to end up ignoring a real fault. I just disabled them because I figured I didn't need them but I never experienced what you're seeing. Good luck getting it sorted out..
That was good advice. I did as you suggested and disabled the primary RF module, received the loss of signal alarm but I did NOT have control of my primary flight controls from the Cortex Pro via Ex Bus. I did have control of flaps, gear, brakes which were plugged into the Rex 7 directly but the Ex Bus signal quit when the primary RF module was disabled. I really hope that this is something I've configured incorrectly as this redundancy is the primary reason for buying this radio. Is it possible for Ex Bus to pass the PPM signal coming from the R3 to the Ex Bus port to the Cortex Pro?
Old 03-06-2018, 05:35 PM
wfield0455

I thought that was how you tested it initially, all the way through the Cortrx Pro.

I’ve never used that configuration outputting ex bus to another device but I have used it outputting UDI to an Aura 8 and it works properly. Also Jeti posted this connection method using an Assist receiver to a central box using ex bus. Unless there is a bug in the REX firmware it should work but perhaps that’s the problem.

if if I had the hardware I’d test it but I don’t have the exact hardware.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:05 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

That was good advice. I did as you suggested and disabled the primary RF module, received the loss of signal alarm but I did NOT have control of my primary flight controls from the Cortex Pro via Ex Bus. I did have control of flaps, gear, brakes which were plugged into the Rex 7 directly but the Ex Bus signal quit when the primary RF module was disabled. I really hope that this is something I've configured incorrectly as this redundancy is the primary reason for buying this radio. Is it possible for Ex Bus to pass the PPM signal coming from the R3 to the Ex Bus port to the Cortex Pro?
Please call me when you have time. I want to fully understand what you want to achieve and I have a few questions as well.

Danny
407-687-3126
Old 03-07-2018, 05:02 AM
dccatl

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
Please call me when you have time. I want to fully understand what you want to achieve and I have a few questions as well.

Danny
407-687-3126
After a very helpful conversation with Danny this morning, it turns out that the REX 7 will NOT convert/pass through the PPM signal from the R3 to the EX Bus port. Evidently a REX Assist will do this, but since I don't see the need for two gyros and I'm not ready to switch away from the Cortex Pro, I'm probably going to go with a CB setup. Danny is going to test to see if a CB 100 can feed the Cortex Pro with it's EX-Bus output. If it can then I need to decide if I want to go that route or just get a CB 200 and drive all the servos from it. Again, I really appreciate all the help I've received from this forum, especially, Wayne, Dave (Goose) and Danny.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:59 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Can you set up your CP with a loom?I
Old 03-07-2018, 06:23 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

After a very helpful conversation with Danny this morning, it turns out that the REX 7 will NOT convert/pass through the PPM signal from the R3 to the EX Bus port.
I'm just moving into Jeti. So far so good, but really struggling to understand what is the best way to configure the triple redundancy with a CB200, using REX receivers.

I though it was a REX7 into CB200 RX1. The REX7 having and R3 as its E1 input via PPM.
Then the CB200 will have the 900MHZ Rx into their RX2.

Based on above, seems like the R3 --> REX7 link will not work. Is that the correct interpretation?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:34 AM
dccatl

Originally Posted by tp777fo
Can you set up your CP with a loom?I
Not with my current equipment, not enough servo outputs: REX 7 + R3 = 9 outputs, I need 13.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:39 AM
dccatl

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
I'm just moving into Jeti. So far so good, but really struggling to understand what is the best way to configure the triple redundancy with a CB200, using REX receivers.

I though it was a REX7 into CB200 RX1. The REX7 having and R3 as its E1 input via PPM.
Then the CB200 will have the 900MHZ Rx into their RX2.

Based on above, seems like the R3 --> REX7 link will not work. Is that the correct interpretation?
That's my understanding from speaking to Danny this morning. Although, I think you might be able to have the REX7 Output PPM to the CB200, just not EX Bus and it would work. I didn't want to go that route since I would loose the integration with the Cortex Pro through device explorer and I believe that PPM would be slower than EX Bus (but I could be wrong about that and probably would never notice at my skill level).
Old 03-07-2018, 07:39 AM
wfield0455

That's my understanding from speaking to Danny this morning. Although, I think you might be able to have the REX7 Output PPM to the CB200, just not EX Bus and it would work. I didn't want to go that route since I would loose the integration with the Cortex Pro through device explorer and I believe that PPM would be slower than EX Bus (but I could be wrong about that and probably would never notice at my skill level).
I'm wondering if this would work with a Regular R7 EX. I have an R7 EX in one of my Jets with a PPM clone receiver connected to the Sat port of the R7 (the clone is an R3/RSW outputting PPM) and the R7 is outputting UDI12 to an Aura 8 with all servos connected to the Aura8 except throttle which is directly connected to the R7 and this works perfectly. Since UDI is a digital protocol the same as Ex Bus I would expect this to work EX Bus as well which is why I thought you'd be ok with the REX7. I rarely use the REX receivers and it looks like I'll continue to make them my receiver choice of "last resort" based on this latest info. I'l give up a telemetry input in lieu of proper operation any day and not being able to use a redundant PPM receiver to a serial protocol most certainly IS NOT proper operation.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:15 AM
dccatl

I'm wondering if this would work with a Regular R7 EX. I have an R7 EX in one of my Jets with a PPM clone receiver connected to the Sat port of the R7 (the clone is an R3/RSW outputting PPM) and the R7 is outputting UDI12 to an Aura 8 with all servos connected to the Aura8 except throttle which is directly connected to the R7 and this works perfectly. Since UDI is a digital protocol the same as Ex Bus I would expect this to work EX Bus as well which is why I thought you'd be ok with the REX7. I rarely use the REX receivers and it looks like I'll continue to make them my receiver choice of "last resort" based on this latest info. I'l give up a telemetry input in lieu of proper operation any day and not being able to use a redundant PPM receiver to a serial protocol most certainly IS NOT proper operation.
I'd be curious to know if it works with a regular R7 too. I've just ordered a CB200 for this jet and I'm planning on putting the REX7 in my other jet that I haven't yet converted to Jeti using the REX 7/R3 outputting PPM to a regular Cortex in that jet. I might even run the R3 in Clone mode so I could buddy box with this jet.

I agree that this scenario seems like a huge oversight/bug in the REX receiver line. Danny seemed to think that since the REX Assist receivers seem to function correctly in this regard that Jeti may eventually fix this in a firmware update.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Ray Millington

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duplex Rex7 receivers

Hi all,
How can i connect an Rsat receiver to a REX7 receiver?,is it possible?
The Jeti data about the REX7 states,SATALITE RECEIVER SUPPORT----YES,
I have read the Rex7 manual several times but cannot see any mention about connecting an Rsat.
There is no Rsat port marked on the receiver,
Any help would be much appreciated.
Ray,
Old 03-28-2018, 04:21 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Ray Millington
Hi all,
How can i connect an Rsat receiver to a REX7 receiver?,is it possible?
The Jeti data about the REX7 states,SATALITE RECEIVER SUPPORT----YES,
I have read the Rex7 manual several times but cannot see any mention about connecting an Rsat.
There is no Rsat port marked on the receiver,
Any help would be much appreciated.
Ray,
Since it's a REX receiver you are connecting the Rsat to, set either E1 or E2 on the REX receiver as a PPM Positive Input and configure the Rsat for PPM Positive output. You will also need to either configure dual path in the transmitter or configure the Rsat as a Clone.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:42 PM
Ray Millington

Thank you Wayne.
​​​​​​​regards Ray
Old 03-29-2018, 04:21 AM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jeti Duplex EX R7 REX 2.4GHz Receiver w/Telemetry

Port Configurations (Rx Firmware REX 1.00):
Standard: 1-7 Servo, E1/E2 Servo/Telemetry/Satellite, Ext Telemetry/USB Programming
PPM/Servo: 1-7 Servo, E1/E2 Servo/Satellite/PPM, Ext Telemetry/USB Programming
EX Bus/Servo: 1-7 Servo, E1/E2 Servo/Satellite/EX Bus, Ext Telemetry/USB Programming
UDI/Servo: 1-7 Servo, E1/E2 Servo/Satellite/UDI, Ext Telemetry/USB Programming

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 03-29-2018, 01:24 PM
Ray Millington

Thanks Zb
​​​​​​​Ray
Old 04-13-2018, 10:07 AM
authomassen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,

I have a model that does not create a log file. It did produce some files earlier, but those files does not contain any info. Yesterday I flew the model, and when I should check the log files today they're not there. Same goes for the two last outings with the model. The model have sensors onboard, and the telemetry works, so I know the DS-16 receives the info.

Any idea what can be wrong?

BTW; this model is not one of my jets, it's a hotliner with jeti REX 7 RX, jeti mezon 135 opto lite ESC, and a jeti phasor race 2035/2100 motor running 8S on a 18x21 prop.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:01 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by authomassen
Hi all,

I have a model that does not create a log file. It did produce some files earlier, but those files does not contain any info. Yesterday I flew the model, and when I should check the log files today they're not there. Same goes for the two last outings with the model. The model have sensors onboard, and the telemetry works, so I know the DS-16 receives the info.

BTW; this model is not one of my jets, it's a hotliner with jeti REX 7 RX, jeti mezon 135 opto lite ESC, and a jeti phasor race 2035/2100 motor running 8S on a 18x21 prop.
You need an active timer in place in order to save the logs
Old 04-13-2018, 12:34 PM
authomassen

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
You need an active timer in place in order to save the logs
Thank you!

Will try this.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by authomassen
Hi all,

If you did an update or disconnected the battery......check the system date it reset to the beginning, so you still made file but the date is wrong.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:12 PM
authomassen

Originally Posted by Dansy

If you did an update or disconnected the battery......check the system date it reset to the beginning, so you still made file but the date is wrong.
Date and time in radio was correct, but as Edgar Perez said, I didn't have an automatic timer on the model, only the ESC run time provided to the DS-16 via telemetry.

I now have a free running timer setup on the motor switch, so I hope that solves the problem.

No automatic timer might also explain why there were some older files on the model without any useful info other than RX V and antenna strength, this probably wasn't actual flights, only setup sessions where I hit the timer start button.

Thanks anyway
Old 04-27-2018, 12:23 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Can anybody explain the practical difference between two Duplex receivers set up in Dual Path vs RX1 in Default and RX2 in Clone mode? My question pertains to a CB configuration (CB200 or CB400) using two receivers. In both configurations, doesn't the CB use RX1 until the values fall below some level and then switches to RX2? Some say Clone mode is better and I'm trying to understand why.

Thanks,

Craig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.