Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti DS-24

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti DS-24

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:58 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickP
Hum, no expert, but will the REX 12 work with the CB200? I have 3 REX3's on my CB400...
RP
Yes
Old 04-20-2018, 04:13 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by ravill
Tasso, thank you for your suggestions!

The reason for slowing down elevator and aileron movements with flap deployment is say, if you have crow mixed in or down/up elevator mixed with flaps. You can imagine, if you don't have a matching delay, you hit your flap switch and your airplane dives as the elevator mixes down first and then your flaps "catch up". The same with crow. These are not fun moments!

I haven't had the time to experiment with the other suggestions just yet, but I'll report back how I ultimately solve it.
Guys you want to do all this in the Flight modes.. I posted the how to awhile back..
The short story is: Set up 3 flight modes.. Flaps up, flaps Takeoff, Flaps down. do not assign a switch to the flap function, instead assign the flap switch to the flight mode function. Then in digital trim, I separate elevator and aileron trim, but Global rudder trim. I put 1.5 sec between flight modes. you can put voice on each.

then use the Butterfly menu( yes its not a good name) BUTTERFLY IS the FLAP computer in this radio.. put Butterfly in Separate mode, Dont use Flight mode trim or function curves to do flaps.. there are limitations that will come into play. You then assign the same flap switch to butterfly, but you remove the proportional and hit the reverse so that in each mode, you get only a Check box for the switch, and it will be Pos1 for each, but they are separate. Then you can dial in all the numbers for each flight mode on one page, and get them perfect.

You dont have to set the end travels or any of that.. you simply line them up in the takeoff position with sub trim one time.. then you use the butterfly menu in non symettrical mode to get them perfect. Once we figured this out, the time to set up flaps dropped to a few mins. remember to disable the "flap control" in function assignment..

Now for those that say, "im not using flight modes, or Im not using butterfly just to drop the flaps".. Please try to get past that.. IMO, this is the best way to set up flaps with no limitations. We have been round and round, and there are alot of ways to do it, but this circumvents the limitations that the curves or functions bring. It also separates the trim and allows you to do other things like change light modes, change steering, automatically set different Gains, different expo..etc.. all on the flap switch. You can even change flap speeds for split flaps or fowlers.. Like an A-10 for example, the inner flaps come out faster than the outer, easily programmed..etc.. get them set, then slow down the outers in the servo setup

But with butterfly we never have to set the endpoints in the servo menu. The radio wont "add on" like other mixes.

Hope that helps a little Ya'll
Old 04-20-2018, 04:31 AM
gooseF22

As for Rex 12, you need to have Rex 1.1 software in it for it to talk to the DS24 and show the CB200 up.. the CB200 needs to have 1.2+ software. It will then show the CB200 in the Device explorer

As for the 900, it will talk just fine on EX bus to the CB200.. I just set one up, and confirmed over and over that the 900 works fine in EX mode in the CB200.

If you try to plug the 900 directly into another receiver directly, then it has to be in PPM.. with the exception of the Jeti Assist(diff topic).

So for the CB200 setups, the 900 works fine in EX mode if plugged into RX2 port. It will only go to high speed mode if the 2.4 sig is lost or disconnected.. If you just pull the wires from RX1, the 900 will stay low speed until it loses 2.4 so use the TX disable function under the advanced options/wireless modes

Last edited by gooseF22; 04-20-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:56 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseF22
Guys you want to do all this in the Flight modes.. I posted the how to awhile back..
The short story is: Set up 3 flight modes.. Flaps up, flaps Takeoff, Flaps down. do not assign a switch to the flap function, instead assign the flap switch to the flight mode function. Then in digital trim, I separate elevator and aileron trim, but Global rudder trim. I put 1.5 sec between flight modes. you can put voice on each.

then use the Butterfly menu( yes its not a good name) BUTTERFLY IS the FLAP computer in this radio.. put Butterfly in Separate mode, Dont use Flight mode trim or function curves to do flaps.. there are limitations that will come into play. You then assign the same flap switch to butterfly, but you remove the proportional and hit the reverse so that in each mode, you get only a Check box for the switch, and it will be Pos1 for each, but they are separate. Then you can dial in all the numbers for each flight mode on one page, and get them perfect.

You dont have to set the end travels or any of that.. you simply line them up in the takeoff position with sub trim one time.. then you use the butterfly menu in non symettrical mode to get them perfect. Once we figured this out, the time to set up flaps dropped to a few mins. remember to disable the "flap control" in function assignment..

Now for those that say, "im not using flight modes, or Im not using butterfly just to drop the flaps".. Please try to get past that.. IMO, this is the best way to set up flaps with no limitations. We have been round and round, and there are alot of ways to do it, but this circumvents the limitations that the curves or functions bring. It also separates the trim and allows you to do other things like change light modes, change steering, automatically set different Gains, different expo..etc.. all on the flap switch. You can even change flap speeds for split flaps or fowlers.. Like an A-10 for example, the inner flaps come out faster than the outer, easily programmed..etc.. get them set, then slow down the outers in the servo setup

But with butterfly we never have to set the endpoints in the servo menu. The radio wont "add on" like other mixes.

Hope that helps a little Ya'll
OK, ok, I'm giving this flight mode thing a try. With JR I though flight modes were more of a patch than a cure.

Danny,

I disabled the switch to the flap function, now I'm stuck in flight modes trying to use the flap switch.

Every time I try to assign the flap switch to the flight mode, the flight mode will only become active either at the extremes of the 3 position switch, or the middle. I can't get a flight mode to JUST be on one of the extreme positions of the flap switch, eg flaps up.

Oy gevalt!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:58 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by ravill
OK, ok, I'm giving this flight mode thing a try. With JR I though flight modes were more of a patch than a cure.

Danny,

I disabled the switch to the flap function, now I'm stuck in flight modes trying to use the flap switch.

Every time I try to assign the flap switch to the flight mode, the flight mode will only become active either at the extremes of the 3 position switch, or the middle. I can't get a flight mode to JUST be on one of the extreme positions of the flap switch, eg flaps up.

Oy gevalt!
don't use the slider, use a 3 position switch.. The flight modes are finite positions. I changed out Sd from 2 to 3 position.. actually I swapped the long switches on the face.. this way its the same as almost everyone else flies.. so anyone can grab my transmitter and save my butt if needed..
Old 04-20-2018, 12:17 PM
ravill

don't use the slider, use a 3 position switch.. The flight modes are finite positions. I changed out Sd from 2 to 3 position.. actually I swapped the long switches on the face.. this way its the same as almost everyone else flies.. so anyone can grab my transmitter and save my butt if needed..
I am using a 3 position switch man....

I'm going to have to call you I think.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:54 PM
gooseF22

Send me your email.. I have a video, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to post it on the POS website here
Old 04-20-2018, 05:04 PM
gooseF22

Here is a quick video I did for Butterfly on a DS16.. watch it through first because I had to go back and get something I missed..
enjoy..

Old 04-20-2018, 05:20 PM
gooseF22

After you set up Butterfly and flight modes, you can then assign Flat Function curves for Lighting modes, Landing lights on and off, Slats, air brakes, swing wings, and it will ALL move at the prescribed speeds and stay in sync. Then I use Free Mixes last to clean up anything I need.. For example, I used a free mix to mix functions on a lighting setup, that turns off only the nose light when I hit the slider, in case the lights are too bright in my face late afternoon.. I also use a 2 speed mix for nose wheel, 2 mixes that stack on each other.. on a spring loaded switch.. Finally I use a Free Mix to kill my gyro gain by doing a Gain to Gain mix of (-100%).. I do it this way because I can use the knob to trim the gain for early flights.

There is alot of ways to do this, but we had these transmitters very early flying jets, and we struggled alot before it began to click.. What you see here is my way I do things.. good luck.. there are other ways.. but with the flight mode trim and function curves we ran into timing problems on the surfaces, or limitation in movement.. Danny, Jim, and I talked alot in the early days through this process.. Alot of guys contributed to this too.

good luck, but you have to embrace flight modes to get the most out of this for complex birds.. Imagine an F-14 with 6 flight modes, and 4 function curves, and 10 mixes.. that would be darn near impossible with any other transmitter

Most often, when I fix another transmitter they failed to get the check marks on the butterfly switch, thus ending up with 9 butterfly modes instead of 3, or they didn't clear the switch assignment on flaps in function assignment, or they set the end points too low..

Last edited by gooseF22; 04-20-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:30 PM
gooseF22

Something different: I learned today that 24 has another monitoring mode for the receivers.. In system:system sounds there is an option to signal you if the transmitter has switched over and is using the secondary receiver

The secondary receiver is defined as:
1. In default mode, its using the 900 if installed
2. In Dual path, its NOT using TX1 but is using TX2, or the 900.

So, what it does is It alarms you when it switches off the primary .. Because of this, I have dual path to warn me only when I lose both receivers.. I have the system sound alarm to say to me (ANTENNA 2) for now. SWITCHOVER.. something like that,

give that some thought ..I really like this feature.. it tells me when the primary receiver is not being used.. SO if I am flying and hear "antenna 2", then come back in closer.. Im having RF challenges on the primary receiver channel

Last edited by gooseF22; 04-20-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:36 PM
ravill

Dave, GREAT videos!

The only difference in what Danny told me, was to use LogMAX as the Butterfly Control.

I haven't been able to test it on my jet yet, but it seems to work.

I really appreciate the help. This part of programming is NOT intuitive. A jeti user must have a very strong working knowledge of the jeti software to figure out this solution.

Danny was sharing with me that he had tried many other solutions and this solution was the least problematic with other types of mixes/limits, etc...
Old 04-20-2018, 05:44 PM
gooseF22

LOGMAX works equally well, I did this video before I knew that technique. Instead of doing the check blocks on the switch, you can select the Log button lower left, and scroll down to LogMax.. it will say MAX with a Check, and follow the flight modes automatically..

Last edited by gooseF22; 04-21-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:59 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Goose, best videos I've seen yet for FM's and Flaps using butterfly. Thanks for posting! JS

Here is a quick video I did for Butterfly on a DS16.. watch it through first because I had to go back and get something I missed..
enjoy..
Old 04-21-2018, 07:31 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by gapellegrini
Tassos,

This is a little off topic.

I thought a lot about add slat and elevator mix to my planes like the full scale. I don't think is a good idea. Not sure which F-16 you have but they usually are not very strong. There are a lot of planes that crashed because of slat structural failure, there is a Skymaster F-104 video on youtube. Plane was own by Ali and he was calling to Sebastiano Silvestre. The slat went off and plane crashed. If this duo wasn't able to fly the plane I think nobody would. Skymaster released a structural upgrade after that.

Franco di Mauro also had a hard time landing a CARF Su-27 with slat problem. People said on facebook that if was other pilot it would have crashed.

Once I asked Bob Violett what was in his opinion the maximum speed I could open the slat on the F-100 and he told me 90 mph. The F-100 slat is 100% laminated in carbon and I believe the BVM F-100 is the strongest scale plane ever built. Bob didn't let me to add this slat elevator mix.

Since then on my planes I set different time for flaps and slat. Like 5 seconds for slat and 3 for flaps so they will make most of the aerodynamic strength decelerating the plane.

Gabriel
Gabriel, I agree, in full scale there are airspeed limits on the slats, they open at a combination of AOA and Airspeed by a computer.. a simple mix would be disastrous. So most people tie it to the gear or flaps.. You can set up a logical switch that makes sure the Gear AND Flaps are down. something like that.. If I wanted to slow the slats, thats a case where I would use the servo speed to add-on top of the flight mode timing.. I did an A10 like that.. the outer flaps move slower, so I added time in the servo menu on top of flight mode timing.. the Jeti lets me set all four flaps individually it was sweet.. I like the idea of moving the slats slower than everything else.. keeps the air loads under control as it slows.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:50 AM
Victory Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen bubbles under their screen? I took off the factory film today and there is what looks like an air bubble under the screen.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:12 PM
gooseF22

just rub it down with your finger gently
Old 04-21-2018, 02:36 PM
Victory Pete

just rub it down with your finger gently
Not sure what you mean, the bubble is under the screen itself.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:20 AM
ravill

Originally Posted by Victory Pete
Has anyone seen bubbles under their screen? I took off the factory film today and there is what looks like an air bubble under the screen.

Pics man.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:45 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just crossed over from a long relationship with JR to jeti. After spending a lot of time between the three radio booths at Toledo i came to realize that jeti is my only REAL option moving forward into the future. neither Spektrum or Futaba offered anything moving forward from the 28X i had. I am so impressed by the amount of help,information and service that Jeti provides , i'm just blown away. . Quick story.. when i bought my 28x there was little to no support period. i was furious that i spent so much money on a radio that i couldn't get basic help with that i swore i'd never spend that kind of money on a radio ever again.. then i started hearing about jeti. to be honest . when i first saw one i thought they were ugly and uncomfortable to hold but after i picked one up i said to ZB " who was helping me" , man this feels pretty good . i have small hands. fit and feel is a must for me. i like the heft of the radio too. the other thing i like about them as well is all the endless options you have to " build your own system" so i picked up a NIB DS-24 . i'm horrified at the thought of the learning curve so close to spring here in northeast so i'll be asking A LOT of questions . i have a program as to where i can download videos from the web so i have downloaded all the videos i can find from Esprit and will be keeping them on my tablet for reference I will miss JR but am excited to be moving forward with some unbelievable technology . WB_1

Last edited by warbird_1; 04-22-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Victory Pete

Originally Posted by warbird_1
I just crossed over from a long relationship with JR to jeti. After spending a lot of time between the three radio booths at Toledo i came to realize that jeti is my only REAL option moving forward into the future. neither Spektrum or Futaba offered anything moving forward from the 28X i had. I am so impressed by the amount of help,information and service that Jeti provides , i'm just blown away. . Quick story.. when i bought my 28x there was little to no support period. i was furious that i spent so much money on a radio that i couldn't get basic help with that i swore i'd never spend that kind of money on a radio ever again.. then i started hearing about jeti. to be honest . when i first saw one i thought they were ugly and uncomfortable to hold but after i picked one up i said to ZB " who was helping me" , man this feels pretty good . i have small hands. fit and feel is a must for me. i like the heft of the radio too. the other thing i like about them as well is all the endless options you have to " build your own system" so i picked up a NIB DS-24 . i'm horrified at the thought of the learning curve so close to spring here in northeast so i'll be asking A LOT of questions . i have a program as to where i can download videos from the web so i have downloaded all the videos i can find from Esprit and will be keeping them on my tablet for reference I will miss JR but am excited to be moving forward with some unbelievable technology . WB_1
The learning curve is very steep. After 3 years using a DS-16 my new DS-24 is very familiar now, but still a challenge. I have been using Spektrum for 8 years and have been using my DX18G2 for my bind n fly's and micros. I never had a single problem with Spektrum but feel confident with Jeti for all my expensive planes now. I almost went down the JR road before Jeti but am glad I didn't now.

Last edited by Victory Pete; 04-22-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:58 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Warbird, I left 35 years of Futaba ending last with the 18MZ because of same reasons. I jumped over to Jeti to get the 900 mhz back up. I has the same fears of a steep learning curve. I have been pleasantly surprised. After a short warm up in two foamys I just flew my first jet. It was not that hard. The Jeti far exceeds anything I have ever seen and Im just getting started. There is lots of help out there. Its all good. Good luck and happy flying with Jeti.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:05 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ
Warbird, I left 35 years of Futaba ending last with the 18MZ because of same reasons. I jumped over to Jeti to get the 900 mhz back up. I has the same fears of a steep learning curve. I have been pleasantly surprised. After a short warm up in two foamys I just flew my first jet. It was not that hard. The Jeti far exceeds anything I have ever seen and Im just getting started. There is lots of help out there. Its all good. Good luck and happy flying with Jeti.
viper, i have heard both sides of the argument about the learning curve and though i'm concerned i'm not going to let it stop me because there is sOOOO much support out there i know i can get through it. . radio should be tomorrow and i'll me getting right on it. one question i have right off the bat is .. i'm setting up a DV8R jet that i'm using for my off airport flyer and i want to know if i have to run one of the power boxes like the 100,200 ect in order to use the serial bus system . WB-1
Old 04-22-2018, 04:38 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Warbird,
There are so many ways to set Jeti stuff up that Im not one to ask if you "have" to do anything. I am currently flying my 1/5 F-16 with a CB400 with 2 R3s serial through a CortexPro and one R900 with R3 remote switch. It is working very well so far and Im slowly getting into some Jeti telemetry.

I plan to retro fit Jeti into one of my Futaba jets like Dave gooseF22 says above in Post #678. I hope to use one Rex12Assist 2.4 and one R900 in EX bus mode to a CB200. Im still in Jeti baby steps so lots of smarter guys to ask than me.
Gary
Old 04-22-2018, 05:53 PM
jsnipes

I have heard of someone having condensation on the inside of their screen but not “bubbles”. JS

Originally Posted by Victory Pete
Not sure what you mean, the bubble is under the screen itself.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:58 PM
jsnipes

WB-1 ... you will not regret it. I fly with Viper and made the switch about a year ago ... DS-16 for me right now but I’ll upgrade to DS-24 before long. There are a handful of others in our group that have all switched to Jeti. I flew JR and then Spektrum (post breakup with HH) since 1989. No regrets for me...love the system and its capabilities. I think you will too. Between the videos, here on the forums, calling Danny or James, and local flying buddy support its not a big deal. It’s pretty easy to learn enough to get flying. I don’t think I’ll ever know everything the system can do. You can start with essentials and then learn more as you go along. Best of luck with your switch to Jeti! JS

Originally Posted by warbird_1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.