Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Powerbox Mercury

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Powerbox Mercury

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 01:54 AM
Ash Creek Flier.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes its compact and a nice unit..Its not at all a deal braker and a heck of a lot cheaper than a grand.I was stoked when it came out.

Last edited by Ash Creek Flier.; 08-10-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:11 AM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I am trying to find a best solution for Skymaster Mig-29. It has 2 ailerons, 2 tailerons ( or elevators if I do not mix it to ailerons , but I will..) and 2 rudders. Then also nose gear and thrust vectoring (2 nozzles with 2 servos each) would definatedly benefit from Gyro. So basically 10 ch would be needed to be gyro stabilized. + 1 for nose gear steering ( not mandatory..)

Jeti CB200 is initially my RX choice.

Would this one be for me or upcoming Cortex Pro?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:47 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Originally Posted by bluelevel
@sillyness

The answers to your questions are inline below

1) Does JETI servo balancing play well with this?
### sure, why should it not? You can either use the Jeti servo balancing feature OR the PowerBox servo match function OR a combination of both for different channels

2) If dual elevators are stabilized, will it support their switchable use as tailerons as well?
### The PB has a delta mixer that can be activated to support tailerons, but that function is not switchable from the TX. If you'd be using a mix in your TX, the stabilisation might not work properly.

3) If I have 2 rudders and a nose wheel, will it support
A) both rudders on one stabilized channel with separate end points for each servo
### yes

B) Nose wheel on another stabilized channel with its own gain and maybe even its on mode (HH)?
### the Mercury supports freely assignable channels and servo matching for all 15 channels. So if you use the built-in servo match function for both rudder servos and assign these to the gyro's RUDDER A output and assign the nosewheel to RUDDER B, this should work fine. This way you could have two different gain settings for both rudder outputs and even activate HH for the nosewheel.

C) Allow the rudders to be splayed out for drag?
### that's a mix in the radio that has nothing to do with the PB

4) Is configuration through the blue thing with an iPhone robust?
### the PB Mercury does not yet support Bluetooth configuration. This is not necessary anyway because it has a display. The Bluetooth option is meant for devices like the smaller iGyros or GPS II that do not have a display

5) Is GPS data passed to TX via telemetry stream?
### no, this function is only available with the bigger PB Royal

Thomas
Im confused on 3 C. If I have to use the servo matching to get the rudder servos to work, then the input to the matching would have to be a single rudder channel from the RX, right? So no separate control in flight possible?

For the second half of two, sounds like we need a test bed!

After thinking about it, I'm not sure why tailerons programmed in the radio would be functionally different than using flaperons. Deflect each aileron independently as flaps, but the gyro can still control each to stop roll. Question in this case... does servo balancing need to be used on each aileron to set end points so the surface isn't over-driven full-down???

Last edited by sillyness; 08-12-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:57 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyness
Im confused on 3 C. If I have to use the servo matching to get the rudder servos to work, then the input to the matching would have to be a single rudder channel from the RX, right? So no separate control in flight possible?
You are right, I didn't think about that. If you use the PB servo match this mix would not be possible in the transmitter.

Originally Posted by sillyness
After thinking about it, I'm not sure why tailerons programmed in the radio would be functionally different than using flaperons. Deflect each aileron independently as flaps, but the gyro can still control each to stop roll. Question in this case... does servo balancing need to be used on each aileron to set end points so the surface isn't over-driven full-down???
Since this is a mix in the radio, you will of course have to make to sure that both control inputs together do not over drive the control surface. This is the second limits setting in the servo screen of the radio. The gyro will "learn" the max deflections when you use the reset gyro function and will not go over these limits.

Thomas
Old 08-12-2016, 11:58 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Is there an advantage to using the PB Mercury servo balancer instead of the Jeti servo balancer?
Old 08-12-2016, 03:22 PM
sillyness

Originally Posted by ltc
Is there an advantage to using the PB Mercury servo balancer instead of the Jeti servo balancer?
I would think you'd have to. When the gyro is making inputs, it has no idea what the radio servo balancing settings are. They are completely irrelevant and don't exist until the instant you move the stick (like quantum mechanics or somethin... nothing exists until observed ). If the PB balance settings aren't used, when it makes its own inputs that move the surface away from the TX commanded position you will get binding.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:30 PM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by ltc
The radio's built-in servo balance feature does not only allow to set the end and center points, but also allows all points in between to be fine tuned. Although I have to admit that I never needed that. The radio's balancing function, however, only works if you have each servo on a separate channel. With a complex jet you can easily run out of channels and here the PB's servo match function comes into play as it allows you to save some channels.

Thomas
Old 08-19-2016, 08:27 PM
txcnguy

I just used the bluetooth adapter to upgrade from v1 to v2 software however.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:08 AM
sillyness

Hi all,

I've had some problems using this with JETI. Instead of re-writing everything, I'm going to cut/paste what I wrote on the JETI forum below. You all should test your systems to be sure you are ok. Bottom line, with the Mercury telemetry plugged into an R3 receiver, about 11 minutes after power-on I'm getting drops in signal quality to as low as 8% on RX 2. It jumps all over for 90 sec, then it it slowly recovers. As it does, it's RX 1's turn. With the PB disconnected but all other tememtry devices connected... Rock solid. It's only the Mercury telemetry causing issues.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:09 AM
sillyness

Ok, I think I figured out my Q drops and I'll recommend all powerbox users that get telemetry from their PB do a simple test,

BLUF: If my powerbox telemetry is plugged into a RX, at perfectly repeatable intervals my signal quality goes to hell. In my original config, RX 2 would start flipping all over the place at about 11 min and powerbox power on, and RX1 at about 14 min. My Q got as low as 8% sitting in the same room at my model.

DISCUSSION: Tried several receivers, no luck. If I unplug the PB tememtry lead, signal Q is rock solid forever. Using dual path, 10ms, direct, FS off, UDI.

This is pretty disturbing. Suggest others check this out. Suspect there are multiple processors at play and clocks get slightly but predictably out of synch resulting in the perfectly repeatable intervals.

Let me know what you find!

https://youtu.be/mE6vS3a6q7E
Old 08-30-2016, 06:10 AM
sillyness

Hey man,

I'll number these so it's easier to converse about them.

1) Mercury SRS

2) R3 Receivers on 3.24, 16 Ch UDI, Dieect, FS off, 10ms. TX is latest software.

3) I posted to their forum, waiting on response.

4) All other telemetry sensors are perfect and cause no anolomolies in signal quality. Everything works great until I plug the PB tememtry into one of the R3.

5) As far as reception vs telemetry corruption... signal strength in flight looks normal. It's the quality that goes haywire, regardless of strength, so a range test is likely a moot point.

6) The most disturbing thing is that the Q values don't come from the PB, they come from the R3 directly, which is frightening because it means that somehow the PB is jamming up the receiver with noise.

7) Curiosity has me wondering whether the anomaly is telemetry only or actual signal quality, but operationally I don't care... it works 100% or it doesn't. It's in a turbine that I'm not feeling like turning into a Guinea Pig.

8) I called Chief where I bought it and he told me I was the first with an issue, but, others may be chalking up low Q to distance. My clue was that it lasted 100-120s per receiver, and I was not that far away that long. Then I started noticing the phasing of the disturbance was consistent. Then duplicated it on the bench but it require waiting the 11 minutes before it started. I doubt others have gone to this level of analysis, so I can't really take his statement as meaningful.

9) Chief told me his buddy lost 3 turbines in a row on CB200s. Has anyone heard of this? I called ZB and he hasn't. Haven't seen it in the forums at all. But I did find a thread where it seemed PB SRS systems were crashing many turbines. Hmm. More chaff to sort through. I'm calling Chief today and asking his friend to get ahold of ZB.

Thank you for your time!!!

Originally Posted by ltc
Which Powerbox are you using?
Which version(s) of Jeti software?
Have you discussed this with Richard at Powerbox?
Just out of curiosity, are any of the other telemetry sensors acting erratically?
I'm not sure if you are saying that this is an actual RF (reception) problem or simply a telemetry display issue. Watching the video it's hard to say which one it is.

A quick test would be to run a range test (10% output power) and see if you lose the link as you walk away from the plane.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:11 AM
sillyness

When I did the test again, the recording was turned off completely. The stop "square" at the top of the screen, not like the video. Wasn't logging/recording anything.

The only item plugged when it was going crazy was the PB. My other items were disconnected, including the GPS. But, I will definitely go back and physically turn off all the other items and try again.

Also, with the Powerbox telemetry disconnected I plugged in the MBAR which has the Xicoy daisy chained into it and had zero problems.

Finally, it was stable for a full 10 minutes, then one RX goes weird for 90-120 sec and stabilizes, then the other. Every time. If I swap receivers around the time to garble changes, but it's consistent/repeatable for that new configuration.

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Did I notice GPS coordinate being displayed on the screen ? If so, are they being logged ? I have DEFINITELY seen issues where excessive logging, usually related to GPS data, causes erratic telemetry operation, even with a regular receiver or CB200. Try turning off logging of everything except the basic receiver voltages, etc and I would bet this issue disappears. Keep your your logging to 4 or 5 of your most important pieces of information rather than simply letting it log everything..

When I had logs of logging going on I would notice some information would be displayed erratically. I never really looked at Q but everything else was screwing up so it wouldn't surprise me. The faster your SD card the more you can get away with logging but even with a very fast card I was able to cause problems.

Wayne
Old 08-30-2016, 08:26 AM
sillyness

Well, I toggled off almost all the logging. Still did it. Same time frames. I unplugged all telemetry so they only the UDI output remained. Did it again albeit briefly. Something isn't right in this jet.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:24 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just installed one of these and was rather disappointed to realise that whilst the default for a normal aircraft has two flap slots - these are not for two separate servo's. The only way to use two separate servo's and be able to adjust them separately from the Tx is to have them as 'Direct' slots on the output mapping. Wondering why PB decided to go with two flap slots but not as flap1 and flap 2?

Just my 2c.

Jan
Old 10-16-2016, 06:13 AM
bluelevel

Jan,

PowerBox never has any servo assigments and is therefore very flexible! Most of them have servo matching and you can use that for whatever function you want. The Mercury even offers servo matching on all 15 outputs so honestly I do not understand your complaint. You must be a JR or Spektrum guy who is used to being told that an aileron must be plugged to output 2, otherwise it won't work

Thomas
Old 10-16-2016, 01:10 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelevel
Jan,

PowerBox never has any servo assigments and is therefore very flexible! Most of them have servo matching and you can use that for whatever function you want. The Mercury even offers servo matching on all 15 outputs so honestly I do not understand your complaint. You must be a JR or Spektrum guy who is used to being told that an aileron must be plugged to output 2, otherwise it won't work

Thomas
Thomas,

Actually I am very familiar with how PB work. It was therefore surprising that they have gone with pre-assigned slots on the Mercury (have a look in the manual). And yes, you can completely reassign (most of) these slots. I am also familiar with servo matching, but prefer doing all my setup and changes to individual servo's from my transmitter (maybe because I am not a JR or Spectrum guy).

My observation was not a complaint, but a disappointment, as I now had two slots which I cold not use for my flap setup - and had to use two other slots as 'direct' slots. However, after further research, the problem has now been fixed by PB in the V2 update and the two individual 'flap' slots are now individually adjustable from the Tx.

Cheers,

Jan

Last edited by Springbok Flyer; 10-16-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:43 PM
Ash Creek Flier.

I have the usb to update but where do you plug it in at.My pc says wont open path way or something I am also having problems binding it to my radio I have a few servos hooked up with the pre determined outputs but not getting any thing.I am just now starting to mess with it I am not completely ready with my jet to go threw the hole process of setting up the gyro just making sure things work and its up to date.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011042.JPG
Views:	2161
Size:	503.9 KB
ID:	2188469  
Old 11-02-2016, 12:15 AM
number27

Update plugs into Telemetry port and then go to PC control in the Mercury to update to v3.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Ash Creek Flier.

Thanks 27 I will give it another try but so far its not camunicating.When I pute it on pc control it says plug usb in then I go threw all the coms and either says no device tected or unable to open path way or something.Im supposed to update using my pc correct.Just hit update in the top left corner.I fly fbl helicopters and have no problems setting things up threw my pc.I may half to reinstall last install detected a virus in the power box systems software Idk?
Old 11-03-2016, 03:39 AM
Ash Creek Flier.

Thanks got it.At first it was telling me I was using wrong adapter.It was being picky.On the mercury you cant do set up on pc only updates?
Old 11-25-2016, 05:43 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

A friend of mine has a Mercury in a Futura 2.5M. He asked me to help him on setting the gyro.
Typically I will have a mix for two gains; one higher for landing, and the other one lower for high speed flight. The test fly assistant get you to setup a single gain. I think it is the high speed one. For the landing gain (higher) it seems he will have to rely on the GPS doing the adjustment. is that the case?
I read the GPS manual, but it seem focused on the installation and couldn't find information on adjusting the gain. Maybe I don't have the right manual..
What are the GPS parameters that will control the adjustment they gyro will do based on the speed?
Thanks
Old 11-25-2016, 07:35 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

With the GPS you don't need 2 gains, the gain is set at the maximum speed and as you slow the gyro will increase enough to keep things solid. (The iGyro 3e does this now also when you install a GPSII)
Old 11-27-2016, 08:27 AM
helifox

Dave, you a bit wrong, the gain is tune on MIDIUM speed (to give gyro possibility work with high performance on low speed) until plane start oscillate, on max speed the GPS signal will decrease the gain. If the oscillate occured on maximum speed just need to increase the Speed factor in PowerBox "gyro setting menu" . Factory settings is "3" but can be encriase up to "5".
In these case the gyro will work with high performance.

Last edited by helifox; 11-27-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:13 AM
jesse2357
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

has anyone had success with telemetry to dmss? At the very least battery voltage?
Old 02-19-2017, 07:19 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of.... Now with the Spektrum 20ch RX and the built in telemetry, and soon to come a gyro module ( for $ 69.99us ) Is there ant advantage of Powebox Mercury over that for the Spektrum guys?? I was going to do the Mercury, but now I'm on the fence... Lots of features in the Specktrum set-up just like the Mercury.. Thoughts??

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.