Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anything like tailor made decals here stateside?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anything like tailor made decals here stateside?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 10:17 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Anything like tailor made decals here stateside?

I’m going to need some basic decals for a project soon. It may turn into a full repaint as well but until I see it I will start with the botched decals they definitely need to be replaced. Thanks up front!

Last edited by FenderBean; 12-29-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:41 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing like tailor made decals in detail and quality .
Shipping a letter from Germany is not that expensive anyway.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:03 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

www.callie-graphics.com
Old 12-30-2017, 06:28 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
+1

Good work at a very reasonable price!

Bob
Old 12-30-2017, 07:03 AM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke
+1

Good work at a very reasonable price!

Bob
+2 for me on this one...used Callie before and great work, good turn around time and good pricing. If you are wanting military markings, I'd check with Jerry at Pro-Mark.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:43 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Hmm, I’m surprised no one recommends pro mark.

Pro-Mark Dry Transfer Graphice, for modelers, stock and custom orders.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:18 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Fender...are you looking for dry transfers or vinyl ?? Tailer is not expensive and ships easily via USPS.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:36 AM
BarracudaHockey

My thoughts on this are that most of what used to be water transfer can now be done with printed on vinyl and it holds up better.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:01 AM
FenderBean

Well im not sure you can do vinyl in the small lettering for the jet panel markings, if I have to repaint the entire jet I don't mind doing tailormade plus still a chance I will be in Germany soon and he could ship them there. Im hoping i can just replace the current decals, i figured the few things i may need would be easier to get here stateside.
The above websites can probably handle what i need, they all will have to d a custom set since none of them have a 1/6 F-18 in anything and I need desert color subdued decals.

Last edited by FenderBean; 12-30-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:47 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with Tailor Made Decals. They are absolutely the very best. Most of the Jet World Masters use them. Also, they are a fantastic company to work with, have quick turn around times and they guarantee their work. Don't forget that they offer paint too.

http://www.tailormadedecals.com/index.php?language=en

I haven't had any luck with Promark. IMO, they have horrible customer service.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:06 AM
FenderBean

Thanks Andy, I will def go with them if I have to repaint the jet since I will need the paint mask but for the couple of items i need its not cost effective. I want know until I receive the jet if it needs to be repainted or if I can live with what they did to the nose section and decals I need the the circled because i had them remove those, they used decals with gray back grounds completely ruined it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dsd.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	2249302  
Old 12-30-2017, 11:18 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes tailor made is best period. If my f18 didn't crash I was going to paint mine also because they messed up so many things. My friend just got a f15 from SM and one of the wings says NO PETS instead of NO STEP on the entire wing...

the thing about tailor made is the attention to detail. Everything will be the right scale and he does his research. The set he makes for the landing gear alone is second to none.

shipping was easy all the time from him. I did my f15 and f22 with him. Also had him do the landing gear and fighting omars on the f18 since skymaster was unable to do it.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:25 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by gunradd
Yes tailor made is best period. If my f18 didn't crash I was going to paint mine also because they messed up so many things. My friend just got a f15 from SM and one of the wings says NO PETS instead of NO STEP on the entire wing...

the thing about tailor made is the attention to detail. Everything will be the right scale and he does his research. The set he makes for the landing gear alone is second to none.

shipping was easy all the time from him. I did my f15 and f22 with him. Also had him do the landing gear and fighting omars on the f18 since skymaster was unable to do it.
Yeah man I should have just ordered it without decals but this was listed on their website as a scheme and I provided a ton of pictures with actual paint samples. They really need to get a new painter, the worst part was they said they "could have done the correct color but it would have just taken longer", after 7 months whats another month! What kind of business model is that? Sorry im just really angry because as you know this jet is not cheap and to redo all this will cost a ton. I know it doesn't matter much to them since im just one person but this was the last time, they lost me as a customer. They can design some crazy stuff, build this large scale jets but can't just look at freaking picture and copy it??

Last edited by FenderBean; 12-30-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:42 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I spent allot of time going back and forth with emails and pics also only to have it all wrong....

on the bright side their will be some nice new scale jets out this next year that should be worlds better.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:41 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was the first state side customer and dealt directly with Ralle (13 yrs ago). He was the best then, and is the best still.

.....but.....still hard to beat dry transfers done right.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:30 PM
FenderBean

I spent allot of time going back and forth with emails and pics also only to have it all wrong....

on the bright side their will be some nice new scale jets out this next year that should be worlds better.
yeah me and Dirk talked about that, fingers crossed.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:53 AM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Go with Tailor Made Decals. They are absolutely the very best. Most of the Jet World Masters use them. Also, they are a fantastic company to work with, have quick turn around times and they guarantee their work. Don't forget that they offer paint too.

Tailormadedecals

I haven't had any luck with Promark. IMO, they have horrible customer service.
Just looked at the Tailor Made site, looks great! I used them maybe 6 or so years ago on a F-16 re-paint project. Don't think they offered the dry transfers or stencils but they were nice. I've used Pro-Mark 3 times for WWII projects and they were fast, great and impeccable on their product. I think Jerry had a massive heart attack or something happened at some point. May be wrong.

I've been scratching and itching to strip down my SM 1/5 scale F-16 from it's Orange Netherlands Show scheme to Arctic Aggressor camo and load it up with ordinance. BIIIGGG project though!!!

Just grateful we have some quality folks making these!
Old 12-31-2017, 09:45 AM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FenderBean
I’m going to need some basic decals for a project soon. It may turn into a full repaint as well but until I see it I will start with the botched decals they definitely need to be replaced. Thanks up front!
I've always had good luck with Aeroloft's Decals. (Home Page)

Greg
Old 12-31-2017, 08:13 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jetflyr
I've always had good luck with Aeroloft's Decals. (Home Page)

Greg
Cindy is kind of hit or miss. Product is good....but it can be frustrating dealing with her.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:40 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

IF you guys are that picky, you should not be dealing with ARFs at all, I have never seen one that accurate to begin with. No one seems to care at my field.

The next best thing to building now is to get a white ARF, at least that way it comes out the way you want, and as a bonus you can get the hatches and gear doors to fit. Nothing worse than having a US$5-10K ARF with potato chip gear doors and 1/4 inch gaps

EDIT: I have used promark over the years with good results, it helps if you understand their workflow. Tailor Made is great I have had samples and hope to use them, but I prefer dry transfer if at all possible, I thought Ralle was going to venture into dry transfer but I have not talked to him in a couple of years. Honestly, if I was going to do water slide decals I would probably do them myself, using color laser printing. Calle is great but I cant see vinyl markings on a serious scale plane. just IMHO

Last edited by mr_matt; 01-01-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:22 AM
BarracudaHockey

The Callie Graphics nomenclature stuff is printed black (or whatever color its supposed to be) on a thin clear backing, its got very little border and it doesn't look bad at all.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:09 PM
speed is life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Cindy is kind of hit or miss. Product is good....but it can be frustrating dealing with her.
++1
The above quote is putting it mildly......
A few years ago I was recommended Aeroloft for decals to go on my JHH A-7D. What showed up were the wrong size/scale, & wrong font; I was advised that it was all my fault and that I didnt know what I was talking about. (I flew A-7’s in the USAF and NMANG so I’m not entirely clueless).
Needless to say Cindy/Aeroloft never got my business again.

I only use Rallie @ Tailormade; he does dry transfers as well, however they are somewhat more expensive and for me the water slide decals do fine.

As for Callie, I know her personally and her custom work is great and fast. The limiting factor is that they are vinyl stick ons and IMO not suitable for high end scale models and are limited as to how small they can be.
BTW, she can do printed shirts as well.

- Mike

Last edited by speed is life; 01-01-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:41 PM
FenderBean

Matt this is constantly mentioned when this kind of thread pops up, not everyone has the ability to do full up builds with paint. My hobby room at the moment is a 24 foot enclosed trailer. Trust me I would love to do this myself, I have been wanting to learn some higher level painting since that’s the one area I need work on. Just is not possible for me atm, I’m not asking for anything worthy of scale competition just something that looks like the dozen pictures I sent.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:00 AM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Lol, very funny, but they are right - no pets allowed ;-)

I am doing a Airworld F104 and the decals from Tailormade are not that cheap...... all in all, with maintenance decals can go up to 800 bucks..

Happy New Year guys
Old 01-02-2018, 10:09 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want scale go with Tailor Made. And yes they do fantastic dry transfers. Some of the best in the business. They are expensive but you get what you pay for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.