Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Trying to Choose a Composite F-16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Trying to Choose a Composite F-16

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 08:28 AM
N4S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trying to Choose a Composite F-16

Hi folks!

I am looking to buy a composite F-16. I currently have HSD F-16 and although it's not bad for the price, after a dozen flight, The stickers are coming lose close to the fuel vent at the bottom and paint is discoloring. The foam right behind the vent in the main retract area is getting mushy from Kerosene. This is my 2nd HSD turbine, my 1st was a Viper and the bottom seam split open, I guess the glue is not fuel proof.

I just bought an Arowana from Baja Hobbies and I’m in the process of assembling it. I do like the paint quality, fit/finish and the JP landing gears.

T-One has a 1/8.5 F-16 and price is reasonable. X-TREME also has a 1/8 F-16. Does anyone have either one? I would appreciate any feedback.

My preference is to stay with 1/8 scale F-16 until I get more turbine experience, but I also looked at 1/6 F-16 from Top RC Model, price is right, but I can't find much info on it in the forum. I just saw one thread from 2019 and there were concerns about quality of the landing gears. Does anyone have one of these and if so, what are your thoughts /feedback?
Old 05-04-2021, 03:29 PM
su27flanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would consider the Skymaster Xtreme F-16 for the simple fact you can get parts easy and skymaster is a good benchmark to start from and there is plenty of info out there on the jet.
The Toprc F-16 is a great price but the problem with the Toprc is the landing gear (like most of their kits) and they are still not the same quality as Skymaster, BVM and the Baja you just purchased. if JP or electron come out with a landing gear kit for the Toprc than that would make it a great cheaper option.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:26 PM
luge_racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't own either of those jets but I do own a 2.2m T-one sport jet and an Skymaster/Xtreme F-15; I also owned an HSD F-16 and just retired my HSD Viper. I have also considered both F-16s as well and I would go with the T-one hands down.

My T-one sport jet is amazing! The structure is light, the build quality is fantastic, the included hardware is great and she went together quickly with no issues.

On the other hand: while my F-15 is cool, she feels heavy, she didn't go together as easily as the T-one and the included retracts weren't very good (eventually replaced with Pro-Link). The quality of construction is okay, but way behind the level of the T-one. They actually included the wrong fuselage cross brace (from the F-16 I believe) and I had to make my own.

T-one is on a whole different level quality wise and Xtreme hasn't kept up. That being said: Xtreme has more variety in airframes, but if you're choosing between similarly sized F-16s I think T-one is the way to go.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:06 PM
su27flanker

The T-one sounds like a good option Luge_racer, do you have a link to a thread on the jet? id be interested in learning more about their models, I have also found the Skymaster jets very heavy
Old 05-06-2021, 06:10 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

this thread on the groups helped me with my T1 16

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=T1+F+16

as well as the thread here on the T1 F-16

Updated T-ONE Models 1/8.5 F-16 Build
Old 07-11-2021, 01:20 PM
N4S

Thank you all for your input! I bought the 1/6 Top RC F-16. I'll be using a SW-190 in it.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:55 PM
su27flanker

I’m also thinking about ordering the TopRC F-16 with sw190.
I would be interested on your thoughts when the model arrives, I do like the Skymaster and T-one version but overall the Toprc F-16 is much better priced.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:52 AM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe Robart is working on a set of gear for the Top RC F-16.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:45 AM
stealdesk
My Feedback: (4)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N4S
Thank you all for your input! I bought the 1/6 Top RC F-16. I'll be using a SW-190 in it.
Please post some pictures and video of yours. I have been looking at it also.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2021, 11:34 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by N4S
Hi folks!

I am looking to buy a composite F-16. I currently have HSD F-16 and although it's not bad for the price, after a dozen flight, The stickers are coming lose close to the fuel vent at the bottom and paint is discoloring. The foam right behind the vent in the main retract area is getting mushy from Kerosene. This is my 2nd HSD turbine, my 1st was a Viper and the bottom seam split open, I guess the glue is not fuel proof.

I just bought an Arowana from Baja Hobbies and I’m in the process of assembling it. I do like the paint quality, fit/finish and the JP landing gears.

T-One has a 1/8.5 F-16 and price is reasonable. X-TREME also has a 1/8 F-16. Does anyone have either one? I would appreciate any feedback.

My preference is to stay with 1/8 scale F-16 until I get more turbine experience, but I also looked at 1/6 F-16 from Top RC Model, price is right, but I can't find much info on it in the forum. I just saw one thread from 2019 and there were concerns about quality of the landing gears. Does anyone have one of these and if so, what are your thoughts /feedback?
If you are looking for an 1/8th, Skymaster/Xtreme is the way to go. They are tough, landing gear is simple and unbreakable. They have been in production for like 16 years, can't go wrong. I've had 3-4 of them. 18-20lb is all you need.

If you want 1/6th, Skymaster is also awesome and tough, but BVM's is lighter, more fragile.....but flies better (at a premium of course). Top RC I have heard mixed reviews, me personally don't care much for electric landing gear.

I have a 1/6th Skymaster that I could sell, if you want to come see it I am just west of Fort Worth.

David
Old 07-12-2021, 11:36 AM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by N4S
ahh that sucks LOL, I would have saved you $1500. Good luck with your Top RC.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:12 PM
N4S

Originally Posted by su27flanker
I’m also thinking about ordering the TopRC F-16 with sw190.
I would be interested on your thoughts when the model arrives, I do like the Skymaster and T-one version but overall the Toprc F-16 is much better priced.
I got it couple of months ago and a friend is building it for me. I was thinking to start a build thread with pics and observation/feedback.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:02 PM
Halcyon66

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Skymaster 1/6 are great had two of them over the years.

Solid airframe and been tried and tested by a lot of guys globally.

Sold another one that was still in kit form only recently and not sure that was a good decision.

Regards,

Old 07-12-2021, 05:11 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Halcyon66
Skymaster 1/6 are great had two of them over the years.

Solid airframe and been tried and tested by a lot of guys globally.

Sold another one that was still in kit form only recently and not sure that was a good decision.

Regards,
agree 100% i just ordered a SM 1/6TH in the YF scheme.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:23 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd go this route and save myself the headaches of the others.

F-16 1:6 Scale
Old 07-12-2021, 05:44 PM
stealdesk
My Feedback: (4)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N4S
I got it couple of months ago and a friend is building it for me. I was thinking to start a build thread with pics and observation/feedback.

Post some pictures
Old 07-12-2021, 06:07 PM
Halcyon66

What's the BVM gear like anyone got any images?

Regards,

Old 07-12-2021, 06:13 PM
su27flanker

The Xtreme 1:6.75 version looks very good, I really like the size
I wish Skymaster would start to offer the option of JP retracts with there jets as I cant stand air anymore, especially when compared to a nice set of Electrons, although JP seem to offer a kit for a lot of skymaster jets now its not available on all of them yet.

Originally Posted by FalconWings
If you are looking for an 1/8th, Skymaster/Xtreme is the way to go. They are tough, landing gear is simple and unbreakable. They have been in production for like 16 years, can't go wrong. I've had 3-4 of them. 18-20lb is all you need.

If you want 1/6th, Skymaster is also awesome and tough, but BVM's is lighter, more fragile.....but flies better (at a premium of course). Top RC I have heard mixed reviews, me personally don't care much for electric landing gear.

I have a 1/6th Skymaster that I could sell, if you want to come see it I am just west of Fort Worth.

David
Old 07-12-2021, 06:20 PM
su27flanker

Thats an absolutely beautiful F-16 and pretty much ready to go!
sadly the BVM stuff is so over priced if your outside of the USA by time you add shipping and import taxes etc and still runs air retracts, they should have an electron option at that price point.

I love this scheme and the jet just looks right from all angles

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
I'd go this route and save myself the headaches of the others.

F-16 1:6 Scale
Old 07-12-2021, 08:42 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by su27flanker
Thats an absolutely beautiful F-16 and pretty much ready to go!
sadly the BVM stuff is so over priced if your outside of the USA by time you add shipping and import taxes etc and still runs air retracts, they should have an electron option at that price point.

I love this scheme and the jet just looks right from all angles
Overpriced? I see it as value for my time and money.
As someone who had a 1/6.75 skymaster F-16 before, I can tell you I wish I would have just bought the BVM pnp from the get go.
After shipping my 1/6.75 F-16 was just about $4100. I purchased every item new for the build so I was about $5400 in to the airframe after everything
( including lights and AB ring) You can get a PNP at show price for mid to high $6,xxx And the stuff works fantastic out of the box, you can be flying in less than 15 hours. Everything I bought separately is already included, It’s bigger, lighter ( my 1/6.75 weighed the same as a bvm 1/6, both with 140 engines.)
Support if needed is only a phone call away.
You don’t have to second guess the throws or CG, contemplate and research if the manufacturer got it right, you know it will absolutely work.
SM did offer good support but I had to have 2 air cylinders replaced and it took over a month to get them.
Yes it is just over $1,000 difference but how much is your time and effort worth to you?
I get it, I used to feel the same way about BV and thought it was overpriced too. Once you put pencil to paper and factor in other considerations you will see the slight premium is quite worthy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dieselman1220:
cetigershark (07-12-2021), yeahbaby (07-15-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 02:54 AM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by Halcyon66
What's the BVM gear like anyone got any images?

Regards,
Just search Jet Legend F-16, same gear, same model.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:57 PM
Juango
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YOU MIGHT WANT TO WAIT A BIT , PILOT-RC POSTED THESE PICS ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE SHOWING THIS F-16 A DAY AGO AND ITS A PRETTY BIG BIRD 🙂👌👍 .!!…. THE PICTURE WITH THE YELLOW CIRCLE , ITS DEFINITELY USING ELECTRIC RETRACTS WITH JP CONTROLLER 🙂👍 …….

.!!…..

Originally Posted by N4S
Hi folks!

Last edited by Juango; 07-13-2021 at 06:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FalconWings (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 03:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Cleaned up a little bit, lets keep it about the F-16's
Thanks
Old 07-14-2021, 12:52 PM
Halcyon66

I believe the Pilot RC one is going to be 1/5 scale.

Regards,
Old 07-14-2021, 05:25 PM
N4S

Originally Posted by stealdesk
Please post some pictures and video of yours. I have been looking at it also.
Thanks
Here are some pics. A friend is helping with the build.

Nice packaging! Double boxed and packed well

Next to a 70mm eflite

Hardware package

SW-190, hopefully not too much residual thrust :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.