Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

AR630 RX Forward Programming help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 03:57 PM
rcfs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AR630 RX Forward Programming help

Does anyone know how to get forward programming to work with the BNF Eratix AR630 receiver? Thanks
Old 03-27-2023, 02:54 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Forward programm settings are stored in the receiver so you need the receiver bound to the transmitter and powered up. Then the forward programming option will appear in the transmitter menu.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:42 AM
rcfs

Understood. My Eratix is outfitted with an AR630 rx. I need to increase the gains, but Forward Programming only allows activating SAFE Select. I see the gains listed when I roll several screens from the main screen but cannot select them. Any advice? Note that I had to replace the Avian ESC which I assumed only gave battery status. Thanks
Old 03-27-2023, 07:03 AM
Bultaco360!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It must be unlocked to adjust the gains, look on you tube for video’s on unlocking the 637T, same process for the 630.
The following users liked this post:
rcfs (03-27-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 07:22 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

This is the video you want.

Andy

Old 03-28-2023, 07:33 AM
rcfs

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
This is the video you want.

Andy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3isbv1U8eM
Understood. Video shows the Forward Programming screen displaying Options (which contains options for resetting). Mine only shows SAFE Select
Old 03-28-2023, 07:56 AM
AndyKunz

That's because you haven't unlocked it yet. You have to unlock it first, then it will show them.

Use your SPMA3065 cable and the PC app to do the download.

Andy
Old 03-28-2023, 09:42 AM
rcfs

Thank you Andy for taking the time to help. The video covers information that I’m very experienced with. I Reset the AR630 using the Spektrum Programmer. I was asked if I was sure I wanted to Reset, and I said OK, but did not get any confirmation that the receiver had been reset. There was no option to “Factory Reset”

When I select Forward Programming > Gyro Settings > I only have SAFE Select to choose. I assigned Aux 1, although, it only gave me FM 2 & 3. Switch pos FM 1 displays as FM 2. The home screen indicates 3 Flight Modes when I toggle switch B, but not within Forward Programming.

I still don't have “Other Settings” displayed in Forward Programming. Do you think the receiver was in fact Reset? Also, I have not seen any mention of “unlock” anywhere in my all my efforts.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave Scott
1st RC Flight School
Old 03-28-2023, 09:51 AM
rcfs

I got it Andy! Although the Programmer said that no updates were available, I went to Spektrum and downloaded the latest firmware and it updated, giving me Options in Forward programming. Woohoo
Old 03-28-2023, 10:06 AM
AndyKunz

Yes, the version that is in the receiver as-shipped is the same version as the download, but the receiver knows it is operating in OEM mode. You have to update the code to break it free and get access to the full features.
I'm glad to hear you got it going, Dave.

Andy
The following users liked this post:
rcfs (03-28-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 03:23 AM
Flakpak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AS630/AS3X problems

I'm not sure whether I'm posting this in the right place,but . . . . I am trying to program a new Spektrum AR630 AS3X receiver with my DX9 transmitter, for installation in a new Durafly Mk11 1100mm Spitfire.

I updated the TX to version 2..09 (although I cannot find how to import the fact to my registrations screen at Spectrum .com, despite the instruction on P.9 of the manual).

I updated RX by downloading the “Spektrum AS3X Updater Software" (which turned out to be Spektrum Programmer Beta) to my PC and connecting the PC to the RX with cable SPMA 3065.

I searched the Spektrum website for guidance on Forward Programming and found videos by Ali Machinchy and John Adams, who both stress that initial programming should not be applied to the ailerons, elevator or rudder, even as to the servo reversing function. This is contrary to the supplied instruction booklet, which says that the initial setup, prior to entering Forward Programming, should include all control functions, including flying control surfaces.In the videos, both Al and John use a smartphone displaying the Spectrum AS3X Programmer app, connected wirelessly to the receiver installed in the model. However, when I tried to download the app to my Android smartphone, I received the message that it was not available for my smartphone because it (the app) “was made for an older version of Android”!

Therefore I resorted to following the instructions in the booklet supplied with the receiver, having first installed the receiver and aligned all the control surfaces to neutral mechanically. The initial programming worked perfectly and all servos operated correctly, so I continued to Forward Programming and completed the receiver orientation section. I got as far as setting flight modes (I wanted to create a Flight Mode 0 to disable AS3X if necessary) but could not work out how to do it, as I have never used flight modes before. So turned off to try again later.

Next time, I tried to start from the beginning but found the initial settings (before “Forward Programming”) had gone wrong, the reverse settings were lost and there was now no elevator movement, so I deleted the model from the transmitter and tried to create a new model. However this time the “RC Port Assignments” function would not allow me to set port 5 to Gear. After initial setup, I had functional throttle and aileron controls, but no elevator or rudder movement and ridiculously small flap movement despite this being set at 15 and 30 degrees.Continuing with little confidence into the Gyros section of Forward Programming this seemed to go normally although I didn’t get further than orientating the receiver position. There was no reaction by the servos to the model being moved from a level attitude. I did not go as far as setting flight modes or gain as I have no idea how to do either. I had a look at the display screen for setting gain and could make no sense of it at all.

After further attempts at starting from the beginning, , there is now no response to any of the controls except aileron and throttle, which is reversed.

Should I reset the RX to default? or buy an older smartphone?

Last edited by Flakpak; 04-30-2023 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:09 AM
AndyKunz

If you can see Factory Reset on the Forward Programming options, use it.

Then watch this video series. It takes you step by step. It's what I use.

The most important thing is to NOT USE FP at first. Set up the transmitter to fly the model WITHOUT it, then fly the model. AFTER you fly, then you start configuring the receiver.

Andy

Old 04-30-2023, 07:39 AM
Flakpak

Thanks Andy - but I suspect it's too complicated for me to learn in the time available - which is the time it will take for me to crash the model without AS3X!
In future I will avoid AS3X unless it comes already set-up in an ARF model .

PS:- I have now reset the receiver but only two channels work - the others smell as if they are burned out.

Last edited by Flakpak; 04-30-2023 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:33 AM
Flakpak

Unhappy AS630/AS3X problems

To continue the saga, I discovered that the receiver, after resetting, worked fine. but two servos and the speed controller were burned out, now replaced, and I have completed the initial setup.
First flight was disastrous as I accidentally set high rate on elevator! All now repaired but not yet reflown.
Thanks Andy for your help, I will play the video multiple times to try and understand it, but am not optimistic as it says that at least one spare channel is required, and and all six channels of my AR630 are already used.
Strange - as my old E-flite Spitfire had all the same functions as the Durafly Spit and was factory fitted with a six channel AR636 receiver with working AS3X.
So I might have to buy a 7 or 8 channel receiver?
Old 05-18-2023, 09:43 AM
AndyKunz

Spare channel is in your TRANSMITTER not your receiver. So you want a 7 channel transmitter to have 6 servo plus the "spare" channel to serve as your flight mode control. That's why our NX6 has 7 channels (6 1/2 really).

Since you're using a DX9, you have 3 spare channels to choose from. That receiver is actually listening for 20 channels to come in, not just 6.

Andy
Old 05-18-2023, 01:36 PM
Flakpak

Default AS630/AS3X problems

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Spare channel is in your TRANSMITTER not your receiver. So you want a 7 channel transmitter to have 6 servo plus the "spare" channel to serve as your flight mode control. That's why our NX6 has 7 channels (6 1/2 really).

Since you're using a DX9, you have 3 spare channels to choose from. That receiver is actually listening for 20 channels to come in, not just 6.

Andy
Thanks Andy, I would never have guessed that.