Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Let's make better gearboxes. Collaboration project.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Let's make better gearboxes. Collaboration project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:13 PM
pedzola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the story. I have many hobbies, shooting being another. AK platform not quite as popular as AR in the states, but we dont discriminate when it comes to guns!

I am inching closer to a Tamiya purchase someday but I still have doubts. Thanks for the encouragement. If I get a Tamiya kit, another ETO gearbox will be first on my purchase list.

And no doubt the gearboxes are an expression of the hobby more than a retirement plan, so I will take that as a "not worth it" for pursuing a HL-style version.

I am going to do some sourcing tonight and pursue the goal of a plastic stug that can drag a cinderblock. If anyone feels they may be able to contribute parts sources or ideas, all are welcome.

I would love to be able to cannibalize a 3:1 gearbox, 3d print a bracket, and purchase a couple other minimal parts to create something exponentially better...
Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

When I lived in the states I had several weapons but sold them about 3 years ago. Colt AR, Russian AK folder, HK 91, Benelli M1, couple other odds and ends. AK brake has a reverse thread and is locked in place with a spring loaded pin. Looking that young Sarjant in the eye whilst I removed the brake in seconds told him all he needed to know.

You can take what you have and improve it. We were doing that with Tamiya TUs 12 years ago and some of the results were astounding. My TU's, and ETO itself, is not a retirement plan. I am a tanker first and foremost and I provide fast service and top quality detail and running gear parts to our hobby. My accountant in US has repeatedly told me to close it, especially in the last couple years with the economic and political turmoil in US, EU and here but I won't do it. He sees only profit and loss, I see it as something we tankers need.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:26 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can take what you have and improve it. We were doing that with Tamiya TUs 12 years ago and some of the results were astounding.
I can vouch for the quality of the TU's Robert refers to. I bought one of the ETO ultimate competition TUs some 12 years ago and installed in my new Tamiya Tiger 1. Tank weighs in at 19 pounds with many metal upgrades. It's got over 500 hours runtime on it. It's still going, I'd say it's just getting broken in...
Old 03-01-2017, 03:07 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by pedzola

I am inching closer to a Tamiya purchase someday but I still have doubts. Thanks for the encouragement. If I get a Tamiya kit, another ETO gearbox will be first on my purchase list.

Let me know if I could help you in anyway. I have built a few kits and depending what you want to do OR want to expect from your first purchase maybe I can give some pointers OR lead you to those that I know have the solution.

Every kit is different and has it's areas of needing an upgrade but just as a kit, the Tamiya is a great start.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2017, 03:34 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I might be able to help with parts for the Stug. I also have lots and lots of gear box parts so just let me know what you need. Stug III, right?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:33 AM
pedzola

Was just using stug as an example, though I have always liked it, I never bought one. Anyone have a source for a cheap stug or pziii as a test platform?

I started researching "gear motors" last night and have found most sellers provide next to zero info besides a picture and external dimensions. Found a lot of interesting looking motors but none that seemed to be a perfect fit for this project (esp without any specs to go on).

I too have a pile of unused gearboxes and parts at home. Probably spent $400 on my pile of junk gearboxes. What a waste! Hopefully some can be cannibalized for useful parts.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:44 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pedzola
I am going to do some sourcing tonight and pursue the goal of a plastic stug that can drag a cinderblock.
Sounds cool...but, even if you build a gearbox that can handle it, the event will shred the plastic hull. I wouldn't even consider that without using a metal hull. Even then...
Old 03-01-2017, 10:47 AM
pedzola

Just a little hyperbole, not meant seriously. I doubt cinderblock dragging is going to become a new tank sport.

But... maybe?
Old 03-01-2017, 11:45 AM
sevoblast

Now there's a thought. Mental note. Go down to Adam's Tyre Emporium and load up on stick on wheel weights. Obtain weight and friction parameters for one each, packaged individual, Cinder Block. Calculate difference in coefficient of friction of cinder block vs. coefficient of mass/friction/strength of motive system of P3. Add lead as needed. Add Ost Ketten as needed. Add prayers and sacrifices to the local gods as needed. Add one each, packaged individual, 24 kilo 1/16 scale Tiger B with 400:1 reduction super dooper special ETO transmissions. Place P3 in front of Tiger B with tow cables in by the book 'X' pattern in sequence P3/Tiger B/Cinder Block. Film result and post on Youtube whilst swearing the film is just found archival footage from 1944. Watch same go viral. Watch same appear on World of Tanks in two days. In two more days watch breathless news commentators on CNN-Fox-Yahoo-Podunk Tattler espouse about leaked vid of super secret Chinese tank that can move mountains. Watch international crisis develop between nuke armed super powers. Watch numerous large black vehicles arrive at your domicile. Watch several kazzilion FBI, CIA, NKVD, NAS, FSB, MI5, 2nd Bureau, Bundes Spie, et al, exit vehicles. Watch verbal altercations devolve in to a serious take no prisoners rubber band spitball fight to the death. Remove vid from Youtube. Sit back, open a cool one and enjoy the fracas.

On second thought, maybe a P3 that will pull a brick?
Old 03-02-2017, 05:23 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

You know RC trucks have 'tractor pulls' with movable weight just like the Monster Truck shows.

Not a far stretch for tanks, think I'll plan some videos!

Secret agents showing up at my house first! Na, Na, Bo-Bo

Last edited by heavyaslead; 03-02-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:15 AM
sevoblast

That I was not aware of, learn something new every day. With the mass of some of our heavy tanks should be doable. Secret agents? Your house?? What have you done???
Old 03-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I've done a full pulls myself versus other vehicles I did a Sherman vs Kyosho Blizzard and totally owned it, the KT he couldn't even budge me lol.
Edit: I remember what show too, it was the iHobby 2014 or 2015 show with Big Squid RC
Old 03-05-2017, 04:28 AM
ChuckATruck

If we could have an adapter to run 540 motors on Taigen 4:1 that would be pretty sweet. I have an old tonka Winnebago that I converted to rc years ago and it will pull my 6yr old son around on a trailer. That is with one 65turn lathe motor imagine what 2 will do in a tank.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:18 PM
pedzola

I would still like to pursue a new gearbox design but maybe the better idea to come out of this thread is a new tank sport - tank pulling. Lol. Someone want to come up with rules for our new sport?

Need a basic course and sled design... maybe something that can hold standard red bricks as a universal easily available semi-standard weight. The sled would have to be large to accomodate a lot of bricks.

Would also vote for the track to be maybe sand or other dirt... something where a tank has advantage over a rubber wheeled RC vehicle.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 AM
superrod
My Feedback: (16)

Here is a sled. http://www.outbacktoystore.com/Farm-...led-RED_4.html Rc pulling seem pretty popular. Some rules and information. Did not see a tank class. http://www.nmmtpapullers.com/AboutMMTP.html
Jimmy
Old 03-07-2017, 01:36 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I've been following this thread and if you guys come up with something I might be able to help out. I do, after all, work for an internationally known gear shop and I have complete access to all equipment. I think the ETO design is great, but they are pretty expensive. Then again, you get what ya pay for, right? Anyway, let me know if I can help, Pedzola. If nothing else I might be able to help with machine work on your prototypes.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:48 PM
maillemaker

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the shaft output RPM range for our tanks for stop through scale top speed?

What kind of torque output do metal geared transmissions provide?

Steve
Old 03-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Instead of new gearbox design, a universal gearbox mounting plate would work. Put Tammy gearboxes in a HL/Taigen/Torro/Mato and vice versa if dimensions work. You also have to think about output shafts. Say someone did come up with your "ideal" gearboxes in the dimension and price point but doesn't have the output shaft for your sprockets. Then you have to grab new sprockets which may mean new tracks as well then your back where we are now price wise. I fit tamiya gen 2 gearboxes in my Luchs, if they fit there they'll fit anywhere.
I use Tamiya gear boxes in nearly everyone of my custom build projects. Usually the Panther set but sometimes the Pershing set. They just always seem to be the perfect match for what I need.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Longsheep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the concept of the DKLM gearbox is pretty ideal. The price is a little high but it is maintenance-free and universal.
All you need to buy is a new mount to share it on another tank - you can simply remove the gearbox by turning only 2 screws (without tool with wingnut mod). It is a smooth slide-fit.

The gearbox is also available in 3 speed options (slower = more torque, but even the fastest one is more than sufficient for tanks <20lb). I have pre-ordered a fast-gear one for my Leo1.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Longsheep
I think the concept of the DKLM gearbox is pretty ideal. The price is a little high but it is maintenance-free and universal.
All you need to buy is a new mount to share it on another tank - you can simply remove the gearbox by turning only 2 screws (without tool with wingnut mod). It is a smooth slide-fit.

The gearbox is also available in 3 speed options (slower = more torque, but even the fastest one is more than sufficient for tanks <20lb). I have pre-ordered a fast-gear one for my Leo1.
As far as I know they dont fit the tamiya tanks, right? I would like to fit one in my tamiya king tiger, but still I think the price is too high.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:56 PM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

as I show in my video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GzNdHIIXBQ I think Carson and a few of his friends have made 'bosses' ( for own use) to make it fit in tamiya king tiger, and the one for Leo 1 is allready in carsons store .
Old 03-12-2017, 12:46 AM
Longsheep

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
As far as I know they dont fit the tamiya tanks, right? I would like to fit one in my tamiya king tiger, but still I think the price is too high.
The mounting plate of the DKLM gearbox has 6 adjustable slots. As long as you have at least 4 holes on the tank's chassis, the gearbox will fit. My Centurion is a scratch build so I drilled and tapped mounting holes on the aluminum floor plate.
The DKLM gearbox is actually lower and flatter than most gearboxes and the width is the only thing preventing it to be mounted on certain tanks.

I place my On/off button, volume adjuster and 10CH receiver on top of the gearbox to safe space. As the gearbox is completely sealed, I do not worry about heat or oil damaging them.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:56 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

The mounting plate of the DKLM gearbox has 6 adjustable slots. As long as you have at least 4 holes on the tank's chassis, the gearbox will fit. My Centurion is a scratch build so I drilled and tapped mounting holes on the aluminum floor plate.
The DKLM gearbox is actually lower and flatter than most gearboxes and the width is the only thing preventing it to be mounted on certain tanks.

I place my On/off button, volume adjuster and 10CH receiver on top of the gearbox to safe space. As the gearbox is completely sealed, I do not worry about heat or oil damaging them.
I think due to DKLM says nothing about tamiya compatibility, and Sollie has friends that had to do their own mounting plate, those gearboxes wont be a straight fit on my tamiya king tiger.

I dont want to do any mounting plate, first of all I lack of the skills and tools and second, for the price they cost it should come with a mounting plate that uses all the screw holes in the tamiya tank.

Some time ago I considered of buying the DKLM reinforced geabox mount, but after seeying that I needed to enlarge the holes a bit I did not want to do it. If I do those critic holes wrong, the tank will never run straight

And also dont forget the axles. The tamiya are diferent to the heng long-taigen, and I dont want to buy another sprochet.

So if DKLM reads me, hope it considers all my points, because his gearbox looks really great.

Just a question about the PSDG users. How do they sound? The tamiya gearboxes are pretty silent compared to the asiatam and heng long ones that I have.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:53 AM
Carson L

Interesting subject, not to compare how good on different gearbox existing in the market,
I only talk about our PDSGB, yes, Sollie and Longsheep said, the gearbox original design for HL type lower hulls, included Taigen, Torro also can direct fit in.
and the very nice feature to let you switch the gearbox to different tank very easily.

Why we don't make it compatible for Tamiya tanks, because only Type-10 and Leopard2 electronic support this gearbox, all Tamiya WWII models cannot directly use this one since DMD not support, and I don't think they will throw away the new DMD and MF to get this gearbox in. unless they really want to do that, For Tamiya tank, we make a brace plate that support Leopard 1A4 and Gerpard since no electronic come with these kits. people has some choice on that.

if someone really want the PDSGB fit their WWII Tamiya tanks, contact me via FB message or drop me a email.
I will try my best to help.

Cheers,

Carson L
Old 03-12-2017, 06:31 AM
Longsheep

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
I think due to DKLM says nothing about tamiya compatibility, and Sollie has friends that had to do their own mounting plate, those gearboxes wont be a straight fit on my tamiya king tiger.

I dont want to do any mounting plate, first of all I lack of the skills and tools and second, for the price they cost it should come with a mounting plate that uses all the screw holes in the tamiya tank.

Some time ago I considered of buying the DKLM reinforced geabox mount, but after seeying that I needed to enlarge the holes a bit I did not want to do it. If I do those critic holes wrong, the tank will never run straight

And also dont forget the axles. The tamiya are diferent to the heng long-taigen, and I dont want to buy another sprochet.

So if DKLM reads me, hope it considers all my points, because his gearbox looks really great.

Just a question about the PSDG users. How do they sound? The tamiya gearboxes are pretty silent compared to the asiatam and heng long ones that I have.

Just to add to DKLM's answer, The drive axle is attached to the mounting plate for each tank. In this way the gearbox can be removed without moving the sprocket (so the tracks and wheels will stay in place). As the PDSGB is semi-made-to-order, the axle length can be custom (my Centurion has a special length for example). Pretty sure you can order the axle end to be milled to fit Tamiya sprocket too.

The beauty of dual-propulsion gearboxes (DKLM and Tammy Leo2) is that your tank will always run straight even if both tracks are not perfectly straight/smooth. Turning at higher speed is also more realistic.

Running noise is comparable to most high-quality metal gearboxes. Dead quiet at lower speed but gets a little noise at top speed. Speaker sound should cover the noise at most speeds.

Last edited by Longsheep; 03-12-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.