Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Those are some nice tanks!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Those are some nice tanks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those are some nice tanks!

I fly R/C planes and have a model railroad. I was scrolling down to one of my forums that I read pretty regular and saw R/C Tanks. I thought, "Hunh..... let's check that out." I looked at some of these pics and I've got to get the he77 out of here! LOL The LAST thing I need is another hobby, but I just wanted to say great job guys! Lots of beautiful work in here. Take care.

Pat

Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Those are some nice tanks!

Come to the dark side...LOL
Old 12-16-2009, 12:57 AM
pcomm1

I did rc aircraft, sailplanes, rc cars and model railroading for a long while and then 5 years ago I built 1 rc tank kit in 1/16 scale and have never looked back. Consider yourself warned, these things are addictive fun. John
Old 12-16-2009, 01:51 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same story here. A life long model railroader, stumbled on to an RC tank while surfing ebay for some model rairoad equipment, Huh!? 1/16 scale RC tank that fires BB for less the $100. What have I got to lose. Turns out it was my passion for model railroading thats all. Then I stumbled onto this forum searching for information on the these Heng long tanks. Hmmm not too reliable, but lots of help on line. Nothing that can't be fixed, and parts are cheap. Oh wow look at all this upgrade stuff I can buy. IR battling????, What is that all about????

Patrick Curry, perhaps you should come and talk to us more often. Everyone should get just one tank. That's all just one, You know just to try it out. Never hurts to dabble in something else, just for a little while. You know, sharpen some hobby skills you can apply to your first hobby love, model railroading. Play with the tank until you get bored with it and then just give it away to a nephew or something. Heck a little tennie weenie decoder can cost $100. You can get a nice big RC tank for that , with radio and eveything.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:43 AM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to try REALLY hard to "re-kit" a tank. With planes it is way too easy.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45716.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	1335497  
Old 12-16-2009, 03:17 AM
PatrickCurry

I ain't tryin' NOTHIN'!  LOL  DA$% me for checking notify me!  Maybe that was subliminal or subconscious or whatever....  Nah, I was just complimenting fellow modelers on their craft and that is ALL!  
Old 12-16-2009, 03:23 AM
taoJ

ORIGINAL: PatrickCurry

I ain't tryin' NOTHIN'! LOL DA$% me for checking notify me! Maybe that was subliminal orsubconsciousor whatever.... Nah, I was just complimenting fellow modelers on their craft and that is ALL!
come, come to the dark side,we have cookies and candy and promise we wont bite, well at least most of us LOL.
I was into cars/trucks, then planes and helis, but gave up on the flying because I just plain suck , then got out of it for awhile, then with my son on the way, crisis hit, and I ws like well damn better get back into for the son, and refresh on current wares, well it sorted worked on the wife, got a abc genetic, then got hit with the crawler flu, then just happened to stumble into the tank forums, and um that's where I am stuck
Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 AM
pcomm1

I ain't tryin' NOTHIN'! LOL: That is what they all say and now visit here: http://www.rctankwars.com/Products.asp
Old 12-16-2009, 10:17 AM
kclank

ORIGINAL: PatrickCurry

I ain't tryin' NOTHIN'! LOL DA$% me for checking notify me! Maybe that was subliminal or subconscious or whatever.... Nah, I was just complimenting fellow modelers on their craft and that is ALL!
come on just try one!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:50 PM
yellowshaker

LOLOL...1 tank is all it takes...I haven't stopped for over a month now. Online forums, online stores, alot of solder and glue and upgrades...oh man...I can't stop!! HELP!!!!!!!!! Buy one, you'll love it!

Old 12-16-2009, 02:07 PM
streetsquid

Patrick,
Run.........................run very fast and run very far..........................................and don't ever look back!

I too had "other hobbies" before sliding down this very slippery slope to this very deep rabbit hole they call RC tanking. This is worse than Doritos, and NO you can't just have one! What you'll find is this is every bit as addiciting and habit forming as any illegal or over the counter substance, and damn near as expensive! (LOL)

I started innocently enough in 2006. Thought "Oh I'll just get one tank to build and occasionally battle with" - yeah right!!!!! It's now 3 1/2 years later and I'm 7 tanks into it, belong to 2 clubs, helped organize and create a local club, found, procurred, and developed land for a battlefield, sunk countless dollars and hours into creating all of the battlefield elements (buildings, bridges, obstacles, static vehicles etc), regularly travel to a neighboring state to battle with another club. Not to mention that I visit this forum at least 4-5 times a day, try to post here regularly with any projects I'm working on, contribute to our club's website, and have no started doing commision painting and finishing for others in this hobby.

So you see, you would do well simply staying with those planes that can so easily be turned into a pile of desbris with a simple glitch or hit from someone else's transmitter. But then again this is also way more fun than any other hobby I have ever had, and that my friend has more to do with the people who participate and share in it, and all of sudden - it's ALL worth it!!!!

GO BUY A TANK!

Squid
Old 12-16-2009, 02:53 PM
EOT

Patrick,
I second what streetsquid says. Oh lets go back to late August 2009. Hey Moose do you want to go to something called a tank fun run tommorow? OK (in that nasally kind of yeah right tone) what's that? So I splained what little I knew about R/C tanks and off we went the next day. He had more fun than I did and we're both rabid model railroaders. A couple days later I order a panzer IV from Bill. Then I'm looking on ebay and find a dolled up Tiger with infantry riding along on top ooooooooo gotta have that. A PanzerIII those are neat. I need some battle systems for my new hobby hmmm. Someone says Phil at RCTankwars is good people........ Hey Philsend me 3 of these 2 ofthose and some ofthis. Hey I don't have any American tanks and the Mato Sherman is just released Hey Phil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the first one he sold! I've never got the first one of anything . It's almost Christmas and I have 7 tanks and my daughter says I have too many now. Ah what does she know I think I need a whole platoon. OH andMoose he has a KV1 soon to be delivered. And the model railroad yup there it sits in the basement quietly waiting and wondering if I'll ever return.So either sell them airplanes or run away Bowlman was right their liketater chipsyou can't have just one.

EOT
Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old YHR

New YHR

Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

They are like Oreo cookies. One isn't enough.

- Jeff
Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 PM
yellowshaker

LOL This is too fun
ny... Here's one for ya.
Here's Shaker's old hobby....and then along came a Tiger..................sigh
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sq47252.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	1335909   Click image for larger version

Name:	gb89396.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	1335910   Click image for larger version

Name:	sx62006.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	1335911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48491.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1335912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73809.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1335913  
Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
SNOWTANK

8D] I have Arm Chair General to blame for my entry into this hobby. Just like I lay blame for him to getting me into RC battleships, 1/700 scale ships and miniature gaming. See I used to just build plastic models. I was good but not great. THen ArmChairGeneral comes along and the madness begins. It started with coverting my lindberg battleships to RC to static models to RC then OMG battleships that fire bbs and sink each other. That evolved into a dozen battleships later. Then he informs me about RC tanks. How cool they are you can battle with them, their cheap compared to RC battleships yadda yadda. Ok he sold me and I got my first Tank. I didn't know what I was dealing with. What Circuit boards no servos?? Oh cool they light up and drive like an RC car, how come the Track fell off? Then on it evolved to my 16th tank and now I am on EBAY looking for deals on RC Tanks. I am proud to say he had no influence on me getting into RC MICRO FLYERS. I got 4 of them withn a week and I am hooked there as well. But they fill the void when I can 't use my Tanks. So you see I am very sick . I need help...[&:]
I love my collection.I love driving them and working on them. I love the amazing work everybody has done here to them and I am learning more and more and more. It's been a great ride so far. Tanks rock!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:49 AM
PatrickCurry

ORIGINAL: pcomm1

I ain't tryin' NOTHIN'! LOL: That is what they all say and now visit here: http://www.rctankwars.com/Products.asp
Thanks for that link Pcomm! The pricing cured me. With my airplanes I fly mostly SPADs (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs) and I doubt I have over $100 in any one plane. Once you start detailing one of these puppies it's obvious to see you can easily have over a $1000 or $1500 in one tank. I'll have to pass on that action. You guys DO do some beautiful work though!

Pat

Old 12-17-2009, 10:53 AM
PatrickCurry

ORIGINAL: streetsquid

So you see, you would do well simply staying with those planes that can so easily be turned into a pile of desbris with a simple glitch or hit from someone else's transmitter.
We have 2.4Ghz radios now and glitches from someone else's radio are practically impossible. Glitches from other sources are possible, but we've had pretty good luck with the location of our field and no one has experienced that. Knock on wood, I've never turned one into a pile of debris..... ripped the landing gear off a few times but the way I fly and the type of planes I fly, not much debris in my future.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:03 AM
PatrickCurry

There is absolutely no way I'm getting into RC tanks guys.  LOL  I appreciate the pictures posted though and I do see the similarities with model railroading as far as detailing.  That's a really good comparison post there YHR.  I know on one locomotive by the time you buy detail pieces at $5 to $10 a pop you can get a REAL expensive locomotive REAL quick.  I sure would like to see one of those battlefields Squid.  That's super cool, I never thought of that.  Just like garden railroads in the great outdoors.  Next time I'm at the LHS I'll ask my guy if there are any around here that he knows of.  And NO I'm not going to get hooked but I can enjoy!    

Old 12-17-2009, 01:36 PM
yellowshaker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyRHCFuVnm8
Here's a vid of a tank Battle in progress...can't wait to participate!!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 PM
PatrickCurry

Awe Yellow, that was an awesome video!  Dude, I've got ADD *real* bad and I could sit here for hours hyper-focusing just watching those tracks roll over the smallest detail that makes them move.  What made me come back in here and bump this old thread was I *just* noticed (don't know how long they've had them) that my *2nd* favorite HS (HobbyKing) (my LHS is obviously my 1st favorite ) has started carrying tanks!  OMG!  Nah, nope, don't y'all start on me again!  But DANG!  LOL  Just wanted to say again that I can appreciate what y'all do!   Man, watching those tanks roll around in Yellow's video.... those are really some beautiful models!

Pat

Old 07-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

"just try one tank"..... That's what I did. Now I have eight and am thinking of two more! And that's in just two years!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
kclank

ORIGINAL: EOT

Patrick,
I second what streetsquid says. Oh lets go back to late August 2009. Hey Moose do you want to go to something called a tank fun run tommorow? OK (in that nasally kind of yeah right tone) what's that? So I splained what little I knew about R/C tanks and off we went the next day. He had more fun than I did and we're both rabid model railroaders. A couple days later I order a panzer IV from Bill. Then I'm looking on ebay and find a dolled up Tiger with infantry riding along on top ooooooooo gotta have that. A PanzerIII those are neat. I need some battle systems for my new hobby hmmm. Someone says Phil at RCTankwars is good people........ Hey Phil send me 3 of these 2 of those and some of this. Hey I don't have any American tanks and the Mato Sherman is just released Hey Phil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the first one he sold! I've never got the first one of anything . It's almost Christmas and I have 7 tanks and my daughter says I have too many now. Ah what does she know I think I need a whole platoon. OH and Moose he has a KV1 soon to be delivered. And the model railroad yup there it sits in the basement quietly waiting and wondering if I'll ever return. So either sell them airplanes or run away Bowlman was right their like tater chips you can't have just one.

EOT
Yeah model RR'dng, RC planes, RC cars, went bye bye then RC tanks and RC combat Battleships. trying to push away from ships but it is a hard separation. still love tanks, been doing it since 1996.