Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Old 04-25-2015, 05:20 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They are working fine, except the following;

Observe, this has nothing to do with Williams wheels per se, it is a general retract problem;

When the wheels are fully retracted and locked try out the following;

Can the wheels still be turned, while inside the wheel well ?

If they can, your plane is still safe. If not, you might get a belly landing.

Reason;
If your wheels cannot be turned, they are probably pushed up against the wheel-well bottom.

That is a problem, because;

In this case, the retracts has used force to push them up against the wheel well, trying to get them into a locked position.
They might be locked, and they might not.

By doing so the retracts has spendt some air, while pushing them into this position. So there is a lesser pressure now in the air bottles.

Lesser air pressure means lesser force. So there is a lesser force to get them "out" again. Somethimes they succeed, somethimes not.

When it is "not", you have a belly landing. I have had 2 or three, until I realised this, and put shims in between the gear and wing.

It happened when I pimped up the wheels with nuts and bolts around the rim; They snagged towards the wheel well bottom.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:45 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kwik
They are working fine, except the following;

Observe, this has nothing to do with Williams wheels per se, it is a general retract problem;

When the wheels are fully retracted and locked try out the following;

Can the wheels still be turned, while inside the wheel well ?

If they can, your plane is still safe. If not, you might get a belly landing.

Reason;
If your wheels cannot be turned, they are probably pushed up against the wheel-well bottom.

That is a problem, because;

In this case, the retracts has used force to push them up against the wheel well, trying to get them into a locked position.
They might be locked, and they might not.

By doing so the retracts has spendt some air, while pushing them into this position. So there is a lesser pressure now in the air bottles.

Lesser air pressure means lesser force. So there is a lesser force to get them "out" again. Somethimes they succeed, somethimes not.

When it is "not", you have a belly landing. I have had 2 or three, until I realised this, and put shims in between the gear and wing.

It happened when I pimped up the wheels with nuts and bolts around the rim; They snagged towards the wheel well bottom.
None if that applies to the electric Robart mains.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:26 AM
kwik

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
None if that applies to the electric Robart mains.
So ?

I would think you get other effects on electric mains.......Like; They stop because of overload protection....or whatever.

If it doesnt have overload protection....well, I guess the Robarts do, but in any case, I think it is wise to check this, electric or air.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:54 AM
slembones
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have robart electric retracts with Williams wheels and they've work flawlessly for 2 years of flying now.

happy landings!
Old 04-25-2015, 10:26 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by kwik
So ?

I would think you get other effects on electric mains.......Like; They stop because of overload protection....or whatever.

If it doesnt have overload protection....well, I guess the Robarts do, but in any case, I think it is wise to check this, electric or air.
The point I was trying to make is that properly set up Robart electrics should merely shut off when overload is reached, such as the travel limit or some mechanical issue.

The thing is, whether binding in the up or down direction, the circuits will automatically reset so that the retract will still function in the opposite direction. Nearly impossible to get a strut stuck in partial deployment. The strut will either return to full up or full down in most cases when the gear switch is cycled. When the wheel does bottom out in the wheel well, the system stops & resets for diwn deployment. That's how they work.

Most would agree that the most undesirable situation would be to have 1 or both struts in a partially deployed condition.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:28 AM
cjray
My Feedback: (25)

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
The point I was trying to make is that properly set up Robart electrics should merely shut off when overload is reached, such as the travel limit or some mechanical issue.

The thing is, whether binding in the up or down direction, the circuits will automatically reset so that the retract will still function in the opposite direction. Nearly impossible to get a strut stuck in partial deployment. The strut will either return to full up or full down in most cases when the gear switch is cycled. When the wheel does bottom out in the wheel well, the system stops & resets for diwn deployment. That's how they work.

Most would agree that the most undesirable situation would be to have 1 or both struts in a partially deployed condition.

Yup, I just got one back from repair. The trunion on the right gear broke, I'm assuming on my second flight, because on the third flight, it would not retract all the way up and tripped the overload protection, however, as stated, it extended back out fully. I sent it off, was fixed under warranty, and I was ready to get the FW back in the air yesterday, however, It had other plans.
After being stubborn to start, when I was taxing out, I noticed the left aileron linkage dangling, so no flying it yesterday. I was thoroughly disappointed .I guess it was a just bad soldering job on my part. I fixed it and checked the others, and they all seem very secure. Good thing I saw it on the ground, however time to re-evaluate my pre-flights. Coming back from helis, you'd think I'd know better.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:38 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The Williams Brothers wheels are a bit heavy, but work well. The plastic is somewhat soft though, make sure you use washers and keep them lubed up a bit. I have a heavy Glassed Top Flite 190 with Sierra gear, and the wheels are at a bit of an angle. During some taxi testing while I was breaking in the new engine one of the axles melted right through the wheel. I added bearings so they should be fine in the future. If you remember this plane from early in this thread, it's the one that Ramstein44 built. Hope to get the test flight done soon this spring. It's quite heavy at 32 lbs, so I'll have to make sure everything is set up correctly. Here's a couple of photos.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2528.JPG
Views:	579
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	2092498   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2538.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	2092499   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2533.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	2092500  
Old 05-02-2015, 01:41 PM
christophe31

Hi Modeler's,
there a long time now , i haven't time to post here, but i'm back... lol
some of you should know me as i'm the general manager of Lado by e-retract, and we have created a complete kit that could be another choice for you for electric retract system, our retracts are made in hard aeronautical aluminium cut by CNC machining and steel parts this kit got scale angle and could be provided with our electric tailwheel witch is very light as we use our e-doors to actuate it.
like ever , our system is plug and play directly into your receiver and could be supplied from 6v to 2s Lipo battery.
morever, they are digital programmable, so retract sequence can be set into each retract without using a separate connecting board.
if some of you want to speak with me, don't hesitate to PM me or ask here.
some pictures:

we also have the scale retract for the P47 and for the ZERO too.

have a nice fly.
christophe

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	2093548   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	2093549   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	2093550  
Old 05-03-2015, 01:07 AM
kwik

Those Lado retracts looks great, Christophe !

Old 05-03-2015, 01:07 AM
kwik

double post, removed.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:44 PM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by christophe31
Hi Modeler's,
there a long time now , i haven't time to post here, but i'm back... lol
some of you should know me as i'm the general manager of Lado by e-retract, and we have created a complete kit that could be another choice for you for electric retract system, our retracts are made in hard aeronautical aluminium cut by CNC machining and steel parts this kit got scale angle and could be provided with our electric tailwheel witch is very light as we use our e-doors to actuate it.
like ever , our system is plug and play directly into your receiver and could be supplied from 6v to 2s Lipo battery.
morever, they are digital programmable, so retract sequence can be set into each retract without using a separate connecting board.
if some of you want to speak with me, don't hesitate to PM me or ask here.
some pictures:

we also have the scale retract for the P47 and for the ZERO too.

have a nice fly.
christophe
Plugs directly into receiver? No control box?
Old 05-03-2015, 02:21 PM
slembones

the Robarts work very well. Had mine since the introduction of the model with no problems.

Last edited by slembones; 05-26-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:12 AM
steph69

Looked at your website for the Lado retracts $790 for the set, mmm not sure seems a bit steep for an unknown (to me anyways)
Old 05-05-2015, 10:38 PM
christophe31

Originally Posted by slembones
Careful buying lado retracts the products are good but the support is poor and the owner/manager is unhelpful if there is a problem.

the Robarts work very well. Had mine since the introduction of the model with no problems.
Hi Slembones,
i've never let down any modelers since 7 years, the time where we bought the company in california, don't take us for the old owner, we have fullfill all the remaining order that the old owner haven't provide, even if we are not obliged to do that, but as a modeler it's not my phylosophi.
could you mp me t found a solution to your problems?
since we are the new owner, you cannot found anywhere somenone alone with our retracts and we support everyone all around the world, since we got the rules, we have equipped more than 4500 airplanes in electric, and don't forget that if you have electric retract now, it's because Lado exist, we have created this product.

@SWORDSN: yes you have one servo cable for one retract, then you plug it into your receiver and that's all, it's like having 3 more servo's into your model.
@Steph69: as write before, we have equipped more than 4500 airplane with our electric system, and if the electric retract system exist today , it's because someday Doug, the old owner of the company have created the system that we found now everywhere ( i mean survey the consumtion of the motor to cut it when the locking point is touch)

we have already equipped many many FW190 with our kit.
you can also take a look at this picture , it's for the ZERO topflite:

Scale isn't it?

rgds
christophe

Name:	20150417_145312.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	644.4 KB
ID:	2094253  
Old 05-06-2015, 03:44 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slembones
Careful buying lado retracts the products are good but the support is poor and the owner/manager is unhelpful if there is a problem.

i disagree 100% with this statement. I've had nothing but very positive results with LADO.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:40 AM
slembones

Good

Last edited by slembones; 05-26-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:50 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, we've heard both sides of the disagreement. From this point why don't you two argue it out via Private Messages (PM's) and let the rest of us enjoy the thread?
Old 05-06-2015, 06:27 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by Lifer
Well, we've heard both sides of the disagreement. From this point why don't you two argue it out via Private Messages (PM's) and let the rest of us enjoy the thread?
I'll second that proposal!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 PM
steph69

Originally Posted by christophe31
Hi Slembones,
i've never let down any modelers since 7 years, the time where we bought the company in california, don't take us for the old owner, we have fullfill all the remaining order that the old owner haven't provide, even if we are not obliged to do that, but as a modeler it's not my phylosophi.
could you mp me t found a solution to your problems?
since we are the new owner, you cannot found anywhere somenone alone with our retracts and we support everyone all around the world, since we got the rules, we have equipped more than 4500 airplanes in electric, and don't forget that if you have electric retract now, it's because Lado exist, we have created this product.

@SWORDSN: yes you have one servo cable for one retract, then you plug it into your receiver and that's all, it's like having 3 more servo's into your model.
@Steph69: as write before, we have equipped more than 4500 airplane with our electric system, and if the electric retract system exist today , it's because someday Doug, the old owner of the company have created the system that we found now everywhere ( i mean survey the consumtion of the motor to cut it when the locking point is touch)

we have already equipped many many FW190 with our kit.
you can also take a look at this picture , it's for the ZERO topflite:

Scale isn't it?

rgds
christophe
sorry Christophe I didn't mean anything bad by my comment, your retracts look really good but as I don't know much about your company I think I will wait until more qualified guys give there comment, I did look at your site and I liked at lot of what I saw, Thanks steph
Old 05-07-2015, 12:54 PM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI: Just a note to those using the EME70 with starter. Both of mine had the same problem with intermediate spur gear in the starter system at initial start. The motor started to turn over in proper direction, then the gears simply spun free.
The small gear that drives the crank gear is a press fit into the larger gear driven by the starter pinion gear. The spur gear failed allowing the starter to spin free and not turn the motor. A friend of mine simply re-pressed the small gear in place and silver soldered the head seam on bolt side of larger gear. If your starter spins free it will more than likely be this spur gear and not the crankshaft gear coming loose or failing.
I have two of these with starters and I love them and are my engine of choice for any future project. Just passing on info.

Name:	20150508_173135.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2094687  

Last edited by dmyers0403; 05-08-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:48 AM
RCSYNDROME

Hi all.
Have someone considered the saito 300 twin motor for this plane?
I don't know which motor to get. Dle 55, Saito 300 twin.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:16 AM
erwin peters

Hello friends, did somebody installed a DEL 61cc withstock muffler ¿? Would it fit inside thecowl except for the exhaust tube __?
Regards
Erwin
Old 05-11-2015, 07:47 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by RCSYNDROME
Hi all.
Have someone considered the saito 300 twin motor for this plane?
I don't know which motor to get. Dle 55, Saito 300 twin.
A 300 Twin with CDI would be sweet.

Sounds much better than a 2-stroke.

http://youtu.be/vdmLu13UJzs
Old 05-11-2015, 08:05 AM
RCSYNDROME

Hi.
If I buy the FA-300T-TDP I still have to buy the gas conversion kit.
For that amount of money I could just as well buy the Saito FG-57TS motor.
But I am confused as some people mention problems with the FG-57TS and the FG-84R motors.
Then sometimes I think to just go with the DLE 55RA.
I can also use the DLE 55 in more planes than the Saito motors if the FW-190 gets _)(*)(&^*^% lol..................
Old 05-11-2015, 08:07 AM
RCSYNDROME

Hi Erwin.
There is more than enough space for the DLE 61cc motor...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.