Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP Stuka-build details

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Stuka-build details

Old 05-02-2007, 04:09 PM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP Stuka-build details

Hi!
Well put, and I have a warm spot for you railroad navigators!
Ok, big drum roll!! Go for it, and between us there is little that can't/won't be done!! The KMP kit isn't really impossible, it's that there are some areas that require a bit of attention. I truly believe that the end product will be very striking ( no pun intended!). And about those Junkers wing surfaces-I'm still in awe of them-but they are really strong!
Pick your engine, I almost went with my RCV 91CD, the Brits say that they will use it, but I want some in reserve for momma and the kids!! LOL!!
Anyway, nice to see you!
Regards,
hookemut

REAL airplanes have round engines and tailhooks!!!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:31 AM
kinverflyer

The construction of the one you have is balsa resin sandwich with and internal wood frame, the paint is a two pack sprayed on after the mould and the sprayed with a matt coat. This process give a light but very strong and fuel proofed structure. One thing that we do do is continually review the building process and the information you post on these forums is a great help.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:11 PM
hookemut

[quote]ORIGINAL: lear31A

"........ It just seems there are some areas that have let me down with this kit."
Hi Big Blue'
I should have asked about your 'let down' areas so as to share. Mind telling about some?
hookemut GO NAVY!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

Basically the flap and aileron hinge holes being mis-drilled. Please dont get me wrong, overall, I will have to have one and I think that it is a nice kit. I have already purchased the 125 for it.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:18 AM
hookemut

Hi lear,
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my posting-recall that there are two inboard ( a navy term-best you look it up~~LOL) flap segments, each having two hinges. It is one 'dimple' for each of these that does not align with the pre-drilled hinge pin holes. I suggest that you match-locate these hinges and redrill-just one hole in each of the two short segments. The aileron and main flap hinges/'dimples' are all ok.
In fact, since my build comments are being followed in real time by the YT/KMP troops, your kit might well be correct.If you do get a Stuka kit, I'm sure that you will agree that it is well worth the money-like anything worth having, it requires a bit of effort.
hookemut

ORIGINAL: lear31A

Basically the flap and aileron hinge holes being mis-drilled. Please dont get me wrong, overall, I will have to have one and I think that it is a nice kit. I have already purchased the 125 for it.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:46 AM
kochj

I have looked at these kits and at first thought, wow exspensive. I then think of a commo ARF example: H9 spitfire 285$ out the door. 200$ for some air retracts. Wow look at that! I just spent 500$ and I don't even have a 1.20 size plane! I like the looks of both the stuka and typhoon. I however love the seafury. When you think of all the time spent to put together a seafury kit and add retracts, I would gladly pay 500 for a KMP model already built! Ido not have the time to build a entire plane....
I got off subject here but I feel that this is something that relates to the conversation somehow.

Justin
Old 06-15-2007, 10:42 AM
hookemut

Hi,
Well, have had some physical delays, hope to proceed now. Have attached a shot of the fuse with cowl, engine (YS-120FS +flex-tube exhaust) and the marvelously defined canopy. Canopy fint into mating detents in the fuse!
Second pic shows the balsa indexing ring which centers the engine into the cowl. Again, cowl lines up perfectly.
Preliminary balance estimates indicate at least 18oz of weight to be added in the nose, from the cg to the tail is about 3X the nose equivalent. I felt that with this 'Dora' Stuka, long slim nose, a gas engine would really stick out .
hookemut
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75814.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	704513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56000.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	704514  
Old 06-15-2007, 11:30 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

HOOKEMUT,

Nice photos and progress.... WIll I be seeing you in 1 week in WACO?? THE IMMA RALLY OF THE GIANTS??

www.hotmacrc.org

If you are attending as a pilot , volunteer, or guest please stop by and say hello!!!!

BTW.....
I have just rec'd (1) CANNON SET FOR THE KMP STUKA it is instock.... JUST FYI!!

CHeers!

-TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS/KMP/RCV ENGINE DEALER
www.vqwarbirds.com
Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 AM
hookemut

Hi,
Been a long time since last post on the Stuka. Building has gone right along, wings are done with aileron and flaps completed. YS 120 mounted and fuel tank and plumbing installed. Have posted various shots perhaps of interest. Lighting conditions are poor, we here in Texas have a very soggy environment!
No long poles left, am now installing fuse servos for rudder, elevator, and throttle. Weight and balance done-when balanced on c of g model weighs some 14# 8 oz. Has a 4-cell, sub C, 2300mah pack just behind firewall and 10 oz lead bolted to motor mount. Will mount a three-blade prop and matching spinner. Can see end of tunnel!!
Building a KMP Stuka is a very different experience, at once happy for the scale details and then angry at some poor fabricating detail. Definately NOT a kit for newbies or the faint of heart. Still have to see how it flies-all may yet be forgiven!!
Be well,
hookemut

Name:	Lj21618.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	712812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91805.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	712813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75632.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	712814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57298.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	712815  
Old 06-29-2007, 05:29 PM
hookemut

Greetings,
Was a good day, one of those rare ones wherein things work the way that you want!LOL
Throttle pushrod in, servo in, response to transmitter seems ok for hi and lo throttle.
JR charge switch installed and functioning
Elevator servos sitting in place, push rods ready for trimming.
Rudder servo sitting in place-clears the elevator servos-RaaYYYY!! Has its pull-pull clevises on, rudder end similarly ready.
Tomorrow should see both rudder and elevators answering transmitter commands!
Best I find a pilot!! For the model, that is.
End of tunnel clearly in sight!!
Now, will this rain never end!!
hookemut
Old 06-30-2007, 03:19 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With all the rain that you are getting, you might as well finish her up. Hopefully your monsoon will end by the time that you have her finished.

Great job, so far.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:48 PM
hookemut

Some thoughts while connecting pull-pull rudder leads:
Building the Stuka: when installing elevator push rods-the guide tubes are already glued in, and they pretty much force both horns to face to the outside which is then wrong for one elevator. Choices: break one guide tube free and relocate it inboard so the pushrod allows the horns be on the same sides. This option might interfer with the rudder servo and it's operation; use a computer radio and place one elevator servo on an auxiliary channel where it can be reversed, or use as I chose-a servo reversing lead.

WRT to your engine choices-the basic Stuka has a bunch more drag than does a Hurricane or such. I recently built and flew the lovely Great Planes Curtiss P-6E Hawk . This model is similar in both size and weight to our Stuka and is represented to be powered with a .60-.91 cu in (10 - 15cc) 2-strokeOR .91-1.20 cu in (15 - 20cc) 4-stroke. First try was a FPE 1.3 cui gas engine-bad choice, way underpowered. It now flies great with a YS 120FS. Point being-lots of drag: wheel spats/trousers, struts, 2nd wing.

Now, looking ahead-might you want to fly with the 37mm cannon pods? LOTS more drag! These pods slowed the real Stuka down to around 278kph!
As I say, just food for thought, hope that y'all are staying cool and dry!
hookemut
Old 06-30-2007, 08:24 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hook- great thread so far, I have one on order with my LHS and never got one from the 1st run, from my understanding there are some changes in version II and I look forward to getting it sometime this year I wonder what the chnages will be? hmm..

I am kind of dissapointed that the YS sticks out the bottom as much as it does. I was hoping to be able to stick a 4 stroke in there and semi-hidden but it looks like that wont be the case. I might consider a RCV 120 for the extra power and asthetic aspect but dont have any exp with the RCV's. I have heard they are tempermental and take some time to break in and I dont have patience for that! hehe

I have much to ponder before it arrives, keep up the good work on yours
Old 07-01-2007, 02:29 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

They just released the low profilehead 130 that might not stick out as much. I have a pair of the 90s and they are sweet!
Old 07-01-2007, 03:44 AM
SunShyne

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

They just released the low profilehead 130 that might not stick out as much. I have a pair of the 90s and they are sweet!
ah good call my friend, might have to wait for the 130 so I can have plenty of authority and maybe even a 3 blade prop

did some snooping around on their website and the CD does indeed look like a prime candidate, ill have to get some measurements but if its too much the 91 is available and should fit under the cowl completely

Old 07-01-2007, 09:28 AM
hookemut

ORIGINAL: DiabloKid

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

ah good call my friend, might have to wait for the 130 so I can have plenty of authority and maybe even a 3 blade prop

did some snooping around on their website and the CD does indeed look like a prime candidate, ill have to get some measurements but if its too much the 91 is available and should fit under the cowl completely

Hi DiabloKid
WRT engine-my Finished Stuka is weighing in at some 14#8oz for a wing loading around 34-35.The English seem to be flying models in this weight/wing loading whith the lovely RCV CD 91. I bought one and have been flying it a bunch. Simply a grand power plant. The Stuka has a bunch more drag than does a Hurricane or such.
I recently built and flew the lovely Great Planes Curtiss P-6E Hawk . This model is similar in both size and weight to our Stuka and is represented to be powered with a .60-.91 cu in (10 - 15cc) 2-stroke or .91-1.20 cu in (15 - 20cc) 4-stroke. First try was a FPE 1.3 cui gas engine-bad choice, way underpowered. It now flies great with a YS 120FS. Point being-lots of drag: wheel spats/trousers, struts, 2nd wing- I always had the feeling of being behind thepower curve, uncomfortable.
Now, looking ahead-might you want to fly with the 37mm cannon pods? LOTS more drag! These pods slowed the real Stuka down to around 278kph!
Just some thoughts.

hookemut

Old 07-01-2007, 01:32 PM
hookemut

Hi,
Just a pair of shots, getting close now!
hookemut

Name:	Xv63173.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	714631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14789.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	714632  
Old 07-05-2007, 02:38 PM
hookemut

Hi,
After a bit of clean-up, the wiring mess was hidden, leaving the flap (blue) and aileron (red) leads ready for connectig to the wing servos.
My KMP Stuka and the YT Stuka recently flight tested are from the same manufacturer. If you go to http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/...33986.280.html and look around, you will be rewarded with some wondeful pics, flight commentary, and a really nice video of this Stuka going thru its paces. They flew theirs very nicely using the RCV 91CD.
The bird is awesome!
hookemut

Name:	Ax72799.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	716910  
Old 07-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Idigbo

Looking good Hookem, heres the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ONYgv_Jxo

Cheers, Ian.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
hookemut

Hi,
With a big TruTurn P-51 spinner and a Master Three-blade airscrew, we'll see how the YS 120FS liked it, may go to a Graupner three blader. Pretty good match for the actual spinner.
hookemut

Name:	Us54094.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	717387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80089.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	717388  
Old 07-08-2007, 09:57 PM
hookemut

Greetings,
Here is a shot of the English YT Stuka (same origin, KMP supplied mine) on take off-I think that this is a lovely sight! Ian was the pilot and turned in a very successful flight with a RCV 91CD up front. Mine is now done, now we wait for the Texas rains to stop and for some dry flying field. I just look at it in awe, and look forward to whenever.
hookemut

Name:	Ki17888.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	718682  
Old 07-10-2007, 03:05 PM
hookemut

The weather held off enough to assemble the model and do an engine running shake down and range test, cowl on. All systems go!!
A few odds and ends-1 canopy screw, tailwheel axle bolt, adjust idle throw at servo, and all went well-no interference! Inverted YS-120FS engine runs very solid.
Field is drying, grass being cut, will flight test soon!!

Name:	Zx70151.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	720223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96787.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	720224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40827.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	720225  
Old 07-13-2007, 03:44 PM
hookemut

Hi,
Squeezed the first flight in JUST before a whopping great line squall blew thru! Wind direct cross @10-13 knots
Some observations from the flight:
The YS-120FS loves the Graupner 3-blade> 8930 RPM vs 9200 with an APC 16X8 2-blade. Deflections, c of g per manual.
* Ground taxiing very solid
*Take off solid, longish run-out to lift-off>I fly from a grass field
* Solid climb out, added a click or so of down trim. Nose drops in banked turn like most heavy war birds. Model hard to resolve visually against cloudy sky.
*Plenty of aileron control, rolled inverted, no added trim needed> c of g just right.
*With flaps to 30 deg, no pitch change
*Stall straight ahead, flaps down-just mushes, no wing drop
*Traffic pattern to landing easily set up
*Pilot error on landing-flared too hi and mushed in to a pin-wheel landing, aided by cross-wind
Aftermath:
Rebent landing gear wires.
Fairings underwing at top of wheel trousers a bit chewed up- nothing else-tough bird!
Pilot admonished-once again!-make power-on wheels landings!
Avoid cross wind flying days
More flights to come-am I the first KMP Stuka to fly in North America?
Regards, Jim
Old 07-13-2007, 04:05 PM
SunShyne

nice report Jim, I still have to get mine (ordered it back in the spring) The YS doesnt stick out as bad as I thought it would. Might go with that or throw a RCV in there

nice pics, she is a looker!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:18 PM
hookemut

ORIGINAL: DiabloKid

nice report Jim, I still have to get mine (ordered it back in the spring) The YS doesnt stick out as bad as I thought it would. Might go with that or throw a RCV in there

nice pics, she is a looker!
WRT the RCV, there is a friend in Germany who is now building his Stuka, same kit, different hobby dealer. He is building his with added cooling provisions to accomodate the RCV 120SP. He will soon be running his engine, so you will have a good data base. We now have this Stuka flying with a RCV 91CD and with a YS 120FS. Hope you receive yours soon!
Jim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.