Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 11:10 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Found this info about the "giroscopic instability" and helped a lot but I didn´t get rid of it already....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Walk...2971835/tm.htm

one thing that works is during the initial fase of the wobbling is change the power setting until it stops shaking... (like giving a kick to stop it, lol). tonight I even had a little adrenaline rush while doing some fast pirouettes with it, with not much clearance at the living
room.. heli still in one piece!
Old 05-22-2005, 03:27 PM
queque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. My son was given a gift of a Walkera #4. and we need soon help.
1. The tail rotor is broken
2. There was no software to learn how to fly
3. We live in South Africa and there is no agent for spares here

Please may someone forward some help
Regards Dave
Old 05-23-2005, 05:55 AM
oops

Hi Queque,

1. You can buy new tailrotors on Ebay. They are cheap. You can also glue them. You can also carve one out of thin balsa... Or even probably very thin Aluminium...
Or even just bend some plastic. They are nothing complex. If you are remote, I'd suggest working out a way to make new ones....

2. Download FMS (Flight Sim) and PPJOY from the Internet. The Walkera 4 pinouts are also mentioned in a post on this forum. Both apps are free for non-commercial use.

3. Buy difficult to replace stuff from Ebay. Buy some 2mm carbon-rod because you can make most repairs with that. Get creative. I glued mine back together with CA until it went in hard and snapped in half... It would still be repairable, but since I have a spare chassis...

Regards
David
Old 05-23-2005, 11:15 AM
woolfster2

I need to get parts for my # 4 chopper. this is my first one and I know I will need a lot. first I have a burned up tail motor thats needs replaced and I wan't to upgrade the battery. Where should I go?
Old 05-23-2005, 11:22 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Most repairs on the walkera 4 can be done as previously mentioned with CA glue.. if CF rod is not available, you could use 2/56 steel pushrod. (I used it on the flybar,after a crash) but if you couldn´t found a exotic helicopter part you can mail order it from most hobby shops.

I ordered some time ago (for another helicopter I have) in this two with good results:

http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/acatalog/m_index.htm

http://www.centuryheli.com/index.html

BR, Enrique

Old 05-26-2005, 10:21 PM
art_v

All, I'm new to the site as well as the heli. I've couple of questions that would be very appreciated if someone could help answer:

1. What the capacity they put on the tail motor is for?
2. If I need to replace it, what capacity I should be using?
3. I've just replaced the tail motor. It worked but the tail keeps shaking in flight (I can tell from the noise that the tail motor isn't running at a consistent speed) How would I fix this?

Thanks, Art.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:04 AM
greggsy2000

Hi there, I have had my heli for about a month now and have enjoyed many a successfull flights. I was wondering if mazakari could please tell me where he bought his wooden main blades from. I have broken a few sets of the plastic ones and now I have a set of replacement ones that just won't lift the heli more than a foot off the ground. I have been looking at some carbon fibre ones on heli-hoby.com but saw your ones and thought they might be cheaper. Thanks for this forum, good to hear that I am not the only one to have some problems with the heli. Happy flying. Greggsy
Old 05-29-2005, 12:41 PM
mazakari

Hi Greggsy,

The blades are Like90 blades. I sourced mine from the UK but if you got to [link=http://www.like90.com]Like90[/link] they offer a good shipping service worldwide.
Although the blades are made of wood they can take a real hammering - a lot stronger than the stock plastic ones. They generate slightly less lift as well so you have an increased headspeed, which in turn gives you better stability.
If you get the blades order the 11T pinion as well, just because of the higher headspeed required.

Hope this helps,

Jon
Old 05-29-2005, 12:44 PM
mazakari

Greggsy, The link [link=http://www.like90.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2]here[/link] is the blades you need. Just under $23 USD. Not bad considering I paid nearly ÂŁ20 in the UK!!!!!!
Oh, and if you don't want to make one, chuck a head stiffener in as well.

Jon
Old 05-29-2005, 08:43 PM
dragon_no_fly

Guys, I have been running a sister thread about the Walkera DragonFly #4 fixed pitch helicopter over here: http://runryder.com/helicopter/t155963p1/ Let me know if you guys want to start pooling our experiences to debug/troubleshoot/fly better/upgrade this little heli; that is, a sort of knowledge base. That is what I have been trying to do at runryder. I am now flying this heli with a full "separates" setup.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:41 AM
mazakari

dragon no fly,

I have started a thread [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355881]here[/link]. I was going to double the thread up on this site but its size got away from me a little. They are a good bunch of people with a lot of knowledge.

Beware - It's one large thread so you may need a coffee handy.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:56 AM
greggsy2000

Thanks Jon, I've ordered some from another website that should be arriving shortly. They are Carbon fibre ones. I'll also check out the ones that you have as well. as it would be good to try a few different types to see what the performance difference is. Are you running everything else in you heli stock. eg motor, electrics etc???? if not could you tell me a bit about it. I've always thought going brushless would be good but don't have any clue of what to get or how to set it up?
Thanks again. Greggsy
Old 05-30-2005, 10:26 AM
mazakari

Hi Greggsy,

My heli is far from stock although it still has the standard motors and 4in1. If you try the link in my previous post and check out a guy called Biffa. He be the brushless and separates man.

Jon
Old 05-30-2005, 07:29 PM
dragon_no_fly

Mazakari, I noticed you have modified your Walkera machine with Like90 blades. I was wondering, do these blades help at all
in fighting wind, my personal experiences with the stock main blades, stock tail rotors and stock main motor outside in light winds
have not been good, the machine gets blown all over the place. With the stock setup, in my opinion, it is an indoor only machine
or if outside, in a DEAD calm, no wind at all. What do you think? What flight times are you getting with yours? Those Like90 blades
need to be swung faster than the stock Walkera ones, are you using an 11 tooth pinion and stock Walkera main motor?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:42 AM
batfalcon

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking for spare servos for my helis (Walkera #4, Twister FP and Twister CP), so I mailed the www.heli-fever.com people regarding this matter.
They answered back the next day saying:
"If you are looking for low price but quality servo, your can try GWS pico/naro, or towerpro. Both are better than stock one."

I hate to buy something and find out that it's useless after all.

What do you guys think? What's your recommendation?

Thakns
Old 05-31-2005, 01:31 AM
cptsnoopy

I used the GWS NARO servo's on my #4 and 22d. they are working great. I used Hitec HS55's on my #35 and it seems ok.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:51 AM
mazakari

dragon no fly, Hi mate.

My heli as it stands just now :

Like90 main blades
11.1V LiPo battery
Custom LiPo battery holder.
TRex Skids
QuickUK base loaded antenna
TRex tail fin
Heat sinks - both motors
JP Supertec Pico servo's
11T Pinion with stock 370 motor.

The main reason the heli gets blown about outside is its weight. You can increase its weight (like I have) but the pay off is with flight times. With my standard heli running a 11.1V LiPo I could get almost 30 minute flight times. Since it has been modded it is down to about 15 minutes. This is also a variable as if you just sit there in the hover the motor is working harder than in forward flight - Try it, get into forward flight and you have to back off on the throttle to maintain a constant altitude which in turn increases the flight time).
The main reason I fitted Like90 blades is, I found on a breezy day to get the heli to decend I almost had to shut the throttle - not something you want to do with a fixed pitch heli. With such a low rotor RPM in the decent you loose a lot of control authority. With the like90 blades, because they have to spin so much faster to generate the same amount of lift you find you still have control authority in the decent.
In short the standard heli is an indoor machine (unless very calm outside) but it doesn't take too much to make it into an outdoor machine. With the Like90 blades and an 11T pinion you will notice a big difference.
What it all comes down to is what you want to do with your heli. Indoors, its just about perfect as is - outside you need to make a few changes but it can be done cheaply.

batfalcon - I use JP Supertec Pico's on my heli.

They are quite cheap and have lasted well. I'll get you a link if you need it. (UK though).

Jon
Old 05-31-2005, 08:04 PM
dragon_no_fly

Thank you Mazakari! Your input has been very valuable to me. I have also reached the same conclusions that you have regarding the stock setup. I really noticed the limitations of the stock setup when I had the opportunity to fly at a huge grass field where there always seems to be wind or a stiff breeze where I live. I know we all have flown are Walkera #4's inside our homes, through doors, in the garage and the thing is great indoors in its stock setup. You are correct about forward flight, the heli is quite quick in forward flight indoors, but definitely blooms in breezes and other updrafts with those stock, high-lift, high-drag, high-pitch, low head speed, plastic main rotor blades. I can get a FULL 8 minute hover with power almost at a chest high level with my separates setup using the stock NiMH 700 MAh flight battery packs, forward flight can be even longer. I am still afraid to start using a LiPO pack, I have heard some horror stories about them and have decided to stick with the rather lousy NiMH battery packs. If I went LiPO I would want to get a 11.1 volt 1800 MAh Thunder Power pack which is slightly less weight than the stock 700 MAh pack, but at almost 3 times the capacity. Are you using an 800 MAh 11.1 volt LiPO pack currently? What level of wind can you comfortably control your modified Walkera in with the Like90 blades; i.e., 5 mph, 10 mph, 15 mph...? I have personally witnessed the Walkera #4 becoming a real headache to fly in winds greater than 4 mph, especially with fast forward flight, gusts up to 10 mph and I pack up and go home, it is just not worth trying to fly it.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:05 PM
mazakari

Hi dragon no fly,

Yeh, I'm running a 11.1V 800mA LiPo at the moment. Providing you stick to the rules and don't do anything stupid a LiPo battery is quite safe.
I am happy to take my Walkera 4 out in 5mph winds. Up to 10mph (gusts) and I can fly it, but its a case of just getting it into the air and into (bumpy) forward flight. There is no way you are going to go for a smooth take off and landing in those conditions. Any more than 10mph and I have to bring out my TRex.
Again there are so many variables.....I bet there are plenty of people who wouldn't fly their heli outside, and plenty more who would call me a wus for putting my Walkera away in 10mph winds.

Jon
Old 06-01-2005, 12:14 AM
batfalcon

ORIGINAL: mazakari

batfalcon - I use JP Supertec Pico's on my heli.

They are quite cheap and have lasted well. I'll get you a link if you need it. (UK though).

Jon
Thanks mazakari, I do want a link regarding these servos. By the way I run my Twister FP (E-Sky) with a 11,1 V 1000 mAh battery too, having lots of power and flight time.
Some guys adviced not to do it, bacause I will burn the onboard unit out.
Did you make any mods on that, or you still have the original unit working onboard?

Thanks again,
Michael
Old 06-01-2005, 08:32 AM
mazakari

Hi Michael,

I Have done no mods to my 4in1 unit and it seems to be OK with the LiPo. I did run it with the cover off to see how hot it actually got and it was barely warm after sitting in the hover for 20 minutes. I do know some people have cut holes in the side of the 4in1 box to aid cooling but I found I did not need to do this. It might be worth running yours with the cover off to see how hot it gets (piece of mind) and make your decision from there.

Here is the link to the [link=http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.uk/detail.php?JPNO=7720285&activepage=1&Navmain=R/C%20equipment&subcatname=Servos%20-%20Supertec]JP Supertec Servos[/link] I use. They are very smooth compared to the stock items.

Jon
Old 06-01-2005, 08:29 PM
dragon_no_fly

Hi Mazakari.

Yeah, I have been toying with the idea of just leaving the Walkera the way it is; that is, with my separates setup and then possibly, if money and time permits, get
a more powerful, outside electric heli like a TRex. What's your honest opinion about the TRex, the thing looks pretty sick. What is your current setup on it? How much wind can that thing take; that would be a critical decision for me since I have a PERFECT flying field 3 minutes from my house, but there is always some kind of wind there. Are you finished with the setup on the Trex? I think you did a nice job on your Walkera, you really made some PRACTICAL mods to it to make it better, I went the
separates route, but with a stock physical structure. I am still toying with the idea of getting the 11 tooth pinion and Like90 blades or does the law of diminishing returns come into play if I go that route; hint hint, save up for a Trex and have an indoor/outdoor heli combo...
Old 06-01-2005, 11:58 PM
batfalcon

ORIGINAL: mazakari

.... Here is the link to the [link=http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.uk/detail.php?JPNO=7720285&activepage=1&Navmain=R/C%20equipment&subcatname=Servos%20-%20Supertec]JP Supertec Servos[/link] I use. They are very smooth compared to the stock items.

Jon
Thanks again mazakari.

I think that www.jperkinsdistribution.co.uk doesn't sell to individuals like me though. I understand that they only distribute to hobby shops. I didn't find the way to sign up to their web shop. [] Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:49 AM
greggsy2000

G'day, Mazakari I was wondering if you could please post a close up photo of the main head setup with the like 90 blades, so I can see exactly what your head stiffener looks like and also how you have fitted the new blades. I would appreciate it very much if you could. Hopefully my new blades arrive soon. Then I'll be up and away once again. Thanks
Greggsy
Old 06-02-2005, 10:33 AM
mazakari

Hi dragon no fly,

This is going to hurt on a Walkera 4 thread but if you are thinking of going for a TRex then I would now put all your money aside to buy one. Once set up correctly (which is a bit harder than the Walkera) the TRex is so much easyier to fly. It is very stable and wind is no longer an issue when you go flying. It does cost a little more to start with but there are shops online that will sell you a basic package to get you going and you can then upgrade from there (although the TRex is perfectly good standard).
There is a good website to check out if you are thinking of getting a TRex. Its called [link=http://www.trextuning.com]trextuning[/link] and even takes you through the entire build and set-up process.
My Trex is getting upgraded. I have ordered a full CNC head/components. This is not esential but what the heck !!!!

So in short, if you want a TRex keep you Walkera for indoors and leave it pretty much standard. The Rex is as good a heli as you will need for outside.

Jon

A couple of pics of my TRex as it is now.......pre 'bling'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.