Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera Transmitters with other RX does work.

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera Transmitters with other RX does work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:30 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walkera Transmitters with other RX does work.

Ok This has been asked numerous times and I can now give a definitive answer...

YES!

Ok, more explanation....

The Walkera Transmitter -DOES- indeed work with OTHER Receivers.... and it works VERY well too.

It uses the same shift pattern as the Airtronic/JR hardware.

All you need to do to improve/replace/upgrade your RX is to get a crystal with the same frequency and use a Airtronic/JR compatible shift pattern.

I was able to determine this with a Hitec Supreme II HRD-08RD 3800 shift selectable receiver.

One warning note.

The channel assignment pattern is different than it would be on a normal radio!

So Channel 1 is -NOT- the aileron and 2 is NOT the pitch... (I believe 2 is Aileron and 3 is pitch, etc.)

You will have to play around with the plugs, but it DOES work...

I would advise you get a 7 channel RX just in case.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:03 PM
GTX SlotCar

Default RE: Walkera Transmitters with other RX does work.

I'm thinking of getting this Tx: HITEC Eclipse Transmitter w/Spectra Module. I can get a good deal on a used one, but the new ones are QPCM (Quick PCM). Do you know the difference in QPCM and regular PCM and which is more compatible more stuff. I want to use this on my DF36 and Blade CP. It does pos. neg. shifts. I'm not sure it would work with the DF 36 Rx, but the used one I can get comes with a Rx, too.
Any thoughts?
Old 02-11-2006, 02:18 PM
opjose

I think this answers your question...

http://www.deeteeenterprises.com/NS....pse.7.QPCM.php

Effectively saying that you'll need either a Hitec QPCM receiver or a Hitec FM receiver for this radio.

It's a nice radio though.

The upside is that it should work with the HFD-08RD 3800 which has FM stamped on the label.

I really like the 3800 as it seems to be able to work with most PCM systems including the Walkera.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:36 PM
GTX SlotCar

Thanks for the link.
What I get out of it is that the new model lets you chose between QPCM and PCM, but only Hitec Rx's can have QPCM and not all of them do. Here's what the FAQ says about Rx's:

Any modern FM receiver will work; all you need to do is make sure you have selected the proper shift in the menu. Hitec and Futaba are negative shift and Airtronics, JR and Multiplex are positive shift.
I don't think any of my stuff is PCM anyway. I've got 5 helis (if you count my Bladerunner). I'd just like to be able to use 1 Tx with all of them.

So, what do you think?

Old 02-11-2006, 06:46 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Slotcar, Walkera uses their own bizzare modulation on their radios. It's (unlikely) that the Walkera RX will work with any other radio. I have an eclipse 7, and i've never been able to get any Walkera receiver to work with it. (4in1's, etc.).

I have, however, managed to get Walkera TX's to work with other recievers.

The eclipse 7 works with just about any (standard) FM receiver out there. I love this radio. I've never had any interference problems using it in FM with all sorts of recievers. Both single and dual conversion. I would not trust my heli to a Walkera RX though, just spend the $20 or $30 or whatever it is for a good Hitec RX and be done with it. Even GWS RX's are a ton better than the Walkera stuff.

If you can score an eclipse 7 for cheap, then jump all over it, because it's a fantastic radio [8D].
I got mine off ebay from a fellow. Almost new in box, $160. The radio sells brand new with the spectra module for $200, so that was pretty good .

Oh, I should mention, the Eclipse 7 is alot bigger than the Walkera TX. Looks like it was designed for bigger hands. It may take a bit getting used too after using the small Walkera TX for so long .
Old 02-11-2006, 06:59 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: GTX SlotCar

Thanks for the link.
What I get out of it is that the new model lets you chose between QPCM and PCM, but only Hitec Rx's can have QPCM and not all of them do. Here's what the FAQ says about Rx's:

Any modern FM receiver will work; all you need to do is make sure you have selected the proper shift in the menu. Hitec and Futaba are negative shift and Airtronics, JR and Multiplex are positive shift.
I don't think any of my stuff is PCM anyway. I've got 5 helis (if you count my Bladerunner). I'd just like to be able to use 1 Tx with all of them.

So, what do you think?

Yup that's exactly what I got out of it.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:04 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: credence

Slotcar, Walkera uses their own bizzare modulation on their radios. It's (unlikely) that the Walkera RX will work with any other radio. I have an eclipse 7, and i've never been able to get any Walkera receiver to work with it. (4in1's, etc.).

Wait a sec!

Didn't you see the top of this thread?

I started it by stating that the Walkera stuff is INDEED compatible with the JR/Aitronics shift RX's and TX's.

I have it working just fine both the RD602 RX with a JR radio, and the Walkera TX with a Hitec (in JR/Airtronics mode) RX.

As I stated in the post, the only thing unusual is the channel assignments. Walkera's channel mapping is a bit strange.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:12 PM
GTX SlotCar

Thanks credence. It would be nice to have one radio for everything. I like the feel of the Walkera Tx better than the E-flite or Esky Tx's I have, but any Tx I could get used to would be better than the constant switching. The E-flite and Esky are smoother, but the way they're balanced, you have to hold them near the bottom. The problem is the grip contours on the back are small and near the top, and the sticks are high so they're hard to reach when holding the Tx near the bottom. It's not a good design.
I've got an Esky 4in1 coming for my DF4. I want the adjustments for the gyro and mixing, and the DF4 4in1 doesn't have them. If you run a lot of blade pitch, even setting the rudder trim full right won't stop it for slowly spinning left.
The used Tx I'm looking at comes with an 8 CH Rx that I could use with the DF 36. If I get a new one instead and can't get it working with the DF36 Rx, I'll just get another Rx. Opjose seems to think they can be made to work together, but like everyone else I was under the impression they won't. Someone else posted that the DF36 Tx won't even work with the DF4 Rx. I also thought the crystals that Walkera uses were different than everything else.
Anyway, it'll be nice to have just one Tx to run everything.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:34 PM
credence

ORIGINAL: opjose

Wait a sec!

Didn't you see the top of this thread?

I started it by stating that the Walkera stuff is INDEED compatible with the JR/Aitronics shift RX's and TX's.

I have it working just fine both the RD602 RX with a JR radio, and the Walkera TX with a Hitec (in JR/Airtronics mode) RX.

As I stated in the post, the only thing unusual is the channel assignments. Walkera's channel mapping is a bit strange.

If you read what I said, I stated the Walkera receivers will not work with any other radio. I also said i've also gotten Walkera TX's to work with other recievers. I was flying a foamie for a long time using the Walkera TX and a GWS RX .
Old 02-13-2006, 01:13 PM
dazbat

Opjose/credence,

Recently fried my Walkera rx (35Mhz) and would love to take the opportunity to get rid of the walkera rx and trazmitter ... however I have just started this hobbie so I would like to initially replace the walkera rx only.

I have found the following JR receiver on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-6Ch-JR-Typ...QQcmdZViewItem

From your post the JR rx seems to be compatable, am I right in thinking that if I order the 35Mhz JR receiver that's all I would need (apart from playing around with the plugs) or do I also need to do/buy something else.

Your help is appreciated !
Old 02-13-2006, 02:27 PM
E_Heli

GTX SlotCar

Hitec Eclipse 7 with spectra module is a great radio, I use one for couple years and served me well for the fixed wing planes.

The minor draw back is: 1, the supplied Nicd pack is 600maH, only last for about 80min, it is easy to upgrade with a higher capacity pack. 2, only 7 model memory and there's no upgrade available. 3, For ccpm, only support 120 & 180 swash but you can manually program the mix for the 90 swash.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:48 PM
opjose

If you read what I said, I stated the Walkera receivers will not work with any other radio. I also said i've also gotten Walkera TX's to work with other recievers. I was flying a foamie for a long time using the Walkera TX and a GWS RX .
eh, still missed it... THEY do work with other radios!

Old 02-13-2006, 02:50 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: dazbat

From your post the JR rx seems to be compatable, am I right in thinking that if I order the 35Mhz JR receiver that's all I would need (apart from playing around with the plugs) or do I also need to do/buy something else.

Your help is appreciated !
That may work fine.

Just make sure that you get a crystal that exactly matches the Walkera's.

BTW: you have the 35mhz version?

Bear in mind that I have not tried that particular RX, as I stated I have had no problems with JR radios and the Hitec Supreme II RX.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:15 PM
GTX SlotCar

ORIGINAL: E_Heli
... For ccpm, only support 120 & 180 swash but you can manually program the mix for the 90 swash.
And for the DF36 and Blade CP, I'll need 90°, right? That should make things confusing for me. I guess I won't just turn it on and start flying
Old 02-13-2006, 04:43 PM
credence

ORIGINAL: opjose

eh, still missed it... THEY do work with other radios!

Nowhere, in your post, did you say you tried a Walkera receiver with a JR or Hitec radio. You said you tried a Walkera transmitter with a JR and Hitec receiver, which, as you'll notice, I stated worked just fine.
I said a Walkera receiver will not work with anything other than a Walkera transmitter. Not the other way around. I don't know why it works like this, but it does. I've got an Eclipse 7, which is both shift and frequency selectable, and I have never gotten it to work with any receiver walkera makes.

I would imagine that Walkera transmitters transmit something that only their receivers pick up on and require to operate. Which is why they work with regular receivers, but walkera receivers refuse to recognize a signal from any other TX except Walkeras.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:52 PM
GTX SlotCar

Nowhere, in your post, did you say you tried a Walkera receiver with a JR or Hitec radio....
The misunderstanding here is that opjose has this topic in 2 threads. In the other thread he states that he was able to get the Walkera Rx to work with a different Tx. But, he didn't state that in this thread.
I don't know which is correct, though, since I haven't tried it myself.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:48 PM
credence

If that is truly the case, it's possible Walkera has been changing their RX's with their newer models, or even standardizing stuff. A few people have been saying that the overall quality of Walkera's kits and components have been improving with the last few releases. Maybe the electronics are too? It'd be nice to think so.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:11 PM
GTX SlotCar

They have a way of changing things and not letting anyone know. Then again, their own people don't even know most of the time.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:48 PM
hueyman

i bought a walkera 6ch rtf last year in june. i've since acquired a 6ch JR tx/rx. first thing i tried was getting the walkera tx to talk to the jr rx and vice versa. no go. spent some time searching the forums and every post i ran across but one stated the same result..would not work. One guy said he got the 4ch walkera tx to work with a different rx but didn't state what brand. I tried it again today. they are both 72 mhz. I tried the walkera crystal set then the JR crystal set and still no go. credence may be right in that the newer walkera radio gear has changed. based on this, best bet for anyone thinking of replaceing their walkera tx or rx is to replace them both.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:36 AM
credence

Hueyman, I got the Walkera transmitter (back when the #4 was only in it's V2 stage) to work with a GWS receiver. Using a GWS micro crystal. Worked OK, range isn't as good as it is with my eclipse 7, or even the GWS transmitter I got here, but I flew one of my foamie parkflyers (GWS DHC-2) around with the walkera TX for awhile without any major problems aside from limited range.
The post you said you saw about someone getting the TX to work with another RX was probably mine .
Old 02-14-2006, 09:17 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The receiver specs are the key. The receiver in any radio is either dual, single conversion. Walkera is a single conversion receiver with weird modulation. The transmitter however, used with any FM single conversion receiver of the same shift, should work. Airtronic/JR use I believe, positive shift where Futaba and Hitec use negative shift. GWS receivers can be purchased in either. You just need to specify which type of transmitter you use. I gather from this info that Walkeras are positive shift transmitters. Pick up a airtronics/JR single conversion receiver or a GWS positive shift and you should be in buisiness with your Walkera Transmitter once you figure out the channel differences. The question is why would you do that? The range and reliability is not great. Check E-bay for a cheap combo. I'm running an old Am Attack 4 Futaba and FP-R114H receiver in my #4 and it works fine and has great range. Just like it does in my planes. I think I payed $20 on E-bay for the set. Just need a seperates set-up or a 3 in 1 and your flying. I save my Walkera transmitter for my sim.[8D]
Old 02-14-2006, 09:54 AM
opjose

I would imagine that Walkera transmitters transmit something that only their receivers pick up on and require to operate. Which is why they work with regular receivers, but walkera receivers refuse to recognize a signal from any other TX except Walkeras.
Before I put my foot in my mouth, I'll try it again, but I'm thought that I had no problems with a JR transmitter.

I'll check and post back.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:59 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: gysgt6414

Pick up a airtronics/JR single conversion receiver or a GWS positive shift and you should be in buisiness with your Walkera Transmitter once you figure out the channel differences. The question is why would you do that? The range and reliability is not great.
Although there is no doubt that the Walkera electronics leave a lot to be desired, replacing the RX with the Hitec made a huge difference in my case.

Range was good, although I'd advise against flying too far and reception seemed to be glitch free.

A lot of newbies who have fried their RX's have asked about doing this over and over.

If they can get a new RX, at least they will be on the road to upgrades.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:19 PM
dazbat

Opjose,

Do you have a link to the reciever you use or the model number kooked at UK sites and can't source aHitec 35Mhz 6/7 channel rx ? want to make sure I get the right one. Range won't be a problem as 1 metre in the air and 5m away from me is as far as I get !!!

Need the replacement rx before I can get airbourne again, being grounded is driving me mad !!

Thanks for the help !
Old 02-14-2006, 07:45 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: dazbat

Opjose,

Do you have a link to the reciever you use or the model number kooked at UK sites and can't source aHitec 35Mhz 6/7 channel rx ? want to make sure I get the right one. Range won't be a problem as 1 metre in the air and 5m away from me is as far as I get !!!

Need the replacement rx before I can get airbourne again, being grounded is driving me mad !!

Thanks for the help !
I'm using a Hitec HFD-08RD Supreme Shift selectable RX.

see: http://www.hitecrcd.com/Receivers/supremeairSSRX.htm

I have been using these with serveral other radios and I like their flexibility.

While the above is a U.S. link, the main site will take you to international web sites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.