Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Kyosho Mini-Z Formula Boat Series

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Super_Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho Mini-Z Formula Boat Series

Save your money because you wont have to spend any more on it aside from rechargable AAs mainly for the charger unless you already have 8. My boat has now gotten airborn . I wanted to see how well it would take to the waves so I made some that were around 6inchs to a foot tall and it handled them without much trouble at all! Got about 4 inchs of air at the most off of a wave if you hit it right and it lands without a problem and keeps on going. I do sujest you stay in the pool when doing this because if you make a turn hitting a wave the wrong way the boat kinda flips. There was one "the perfect wave" type impression . The boat drove into a very deep dip and then of corse the 1ft cone rose up and threw the boat to do half of a front flip and land on its lid. There is no way your going to fry this circuit board because of water because mine has been drenched multiple times. Can't wait to get hopefully better battery packs and especaially the upgrade motor when it comes to the US.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:45 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

I have 2 of these cool little Kyosho Boats and I like them alot. I just put the Kyosho Aqua Speed Motors in both of them and They are quite a bit faster. However I did run into a problem I have not figured out yet. My son and I were racing them in a near by pond. We were on our second run and all of a sudden his slowed down and the rear was sinking. I told him to drive it to shore and he said he was trying but it wasn't moving very well. Fortunately He wasn't far from shore and I pushed his boat in with my boat. I opened it up and there was very very little water in the boat, maybe just a few drops. I shook the boat around lighty and heard water. After some investigation I found the the servo housing that looks like a outboard motor was full of water. I think the water was coming in from the foot of the motor. Possibly being pushed up from the propeller. I have not gotten up the nerve to take apart the housing yet cause I can't find replacement parts yet. I shook the water out and tried dry testing the boat and it was not working. I will let it dry over night and let you know how it is in the morning.
To be continued.
Oh about the battery, I have a very small lipo that is 7.2 volts and about 300 mah the boat screams with that battery and the new motor. But I was not running that battery when this problem happened. Another idea is if you notice the battery is basicly a 5 cell hump pack. All you need to do is go to batteries plus and have them make a 6 cell and it will fit nicely. I am also planing to do this and will update you. Here is some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39276.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	319051  
Old 09-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

The boat that the servo housing (fake motor) filled up with water is still not working after 24 hrs of drying. I charged the battery and checked, there is no steering or motor action, no noise at all. I believe I have a dead board. I will have to look for a replacement now. I am really dissapointed, I believe there is a design flaw here. I have been in RC for a long time and I know that I did everything a normal consumer would do to take run the boat responsibly. There were no crashes and really no horse play. The other boat is still working great. My son and I went to the pond today and ran the kyosho mini z formula and my Villain EX. Still no problems with the mini formula. I guess something was wrong with the other boat. Maybe it was put together on a Friday. Since I ordered it from HongKong, I guess I won't have much luck in warranty. Anyone know where I can get parts?
Thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 07:59 PM
BitHed

...i might be able to get you spares etc but i am not officially allowed to tell you that here on this forum so i WONT tell you that I might be able to get spares [8D]
Old 09-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Super_Dave

Thats very odd. Mine has been full of water multiple times just from seeing how high it will jump off of waves in my pool . It doesn't always land right side up. There was something I don't even know how I did but there is no more steering stop. My motor just swings a pull 90 degrees to left and right. Of corse if you do turn that far it makes a horible noise when the ball is coming out of the driveshaft . You can literally turn on a dime with it though.

Well I don't really see anyway for water to get in there aside from going past the circuit board first. I had a problem like you at one point to i let it try for 25hrs but it still didn't work. I took out the board and under it there was still a small puddle of water hanging in a small white piece with 3 prongs in it but nothings pluged into it. Blew that out and cleaning it with denatured alcohol (of corse anything electronic safe will work) and it worked fine after that. Water does find a way in it pretty easy something that wouldn't hurt at all is for them to put a rubber seal around where the hatch i guess you can call it meets the boat and that will deffinatly keep more water out.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:04 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Little Stampy
Water does find a way in it pretty easy something that wouldn't hurt at all is for them to put a rubber seal around where the hatch i guess you can call it meets the boat and that will deffinatly keep more water out.
I was informed that Kyosho is supposed to be modifying the boat slightly to help keep the water out better. However, I purchased a boat anyway. Actually, I purchased two boats at iHobbyExpo--one large and one small.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57338.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	344697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41479.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	344698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85824.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	344699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88007.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	344700  
Old 10-27-2005, 09:36 AM
houseplant

Who makes the bigger boat and what is it powered by(i.e. electric or gas)?
Old 10-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's gasoline. I purchased it from Hobby Engine when they were at iHobbyExpo.
There are more photos of it in the Boat forums.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_15...mpage_5/tm.htm
Old 06-21-2009, 04:53 PM
cristianoepm

Hello, i will buy one mini-z formula boat.... i want to know if anyone test the 6v hump battery with more amp (like 1600mah) or lipo 7.4v?? If i put one of this battery in my mini-z the ESC will be broke???

thanks
Old 03-27-2020, 10:50 PM
Arbogastaa

Default Anyone want to sell one

Does anyone have one of these for sale? Or at least a trailer?