Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

OFFICIAL RC18MT/B/T THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL RC18MT/B/T THREAD

I just ate mexican and have very bad gas.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:07 PM

@scab, thank you........very useful information....

@ da beast, well i think you have two choices, the stock plastic ones or the factory team aluminum ones.  I use the stock plastic ones and they work fine, i havent used the aluminum ones as i have read they leak a little more.  I do use a much heavier shock oil weight though, 30-35 weight oil, i might change the 30 to 32.5, but im still thinking about that.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:49 AM

IMO, either one of these are the best on the market. Only Difference between the two other then manufacturer, is the shade of blue you like better.

[link=http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=8912&cat_name=]3 Racing's Set[/link]

[link=http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=7952&cat_name=]The Toyz Set [/link] *I know they are labeld as 3Racing now, but they used to be branded under TheToyz label.*
Old 10-17-2010, 09:10 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Mousesi2k

IMO, either one of these are the best on the market. Only Difference between the two other then manufacturer, is the shade of blue you like better.

[link=http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=8912&cat_name=]3 Racing's Set[/link]

[link=http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso?id=7952&cat_name=]The Toyz Set [/link] *I know they are labeld as 3Racing now, but they used to be branded under TheToyz label.*
cool i will end up getting the 2nd set u posted up. the ones on the truck now seem loose. the shafts shift from side to side.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 PM
My Feedback: (1)

here are some photos of it

Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: 93dabeast

i need something durable and that can take abuse.

These mini's don't take "abuse" too well. If you wanted something to beat on, maybe you should have stuck to a larger scale.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 PM

I noticed the RC18MT is still a shaft driven design. Whats the concensus on which is better? The newer T2 belt drive version or the older shaft drive version? Im gonna pick up another kit, but I can get the older shaft drive version with a cheaper 2 channel AM radio or spend $10 more for the newer belt version with the 3 channel 2.4gig radio.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: ntrain42

I noticed the RC18MT is still a shaft driven design. Whats the concensus on which is better? The newer T2 belt drive version or the older shaft drive version? Im gonna pick up another kit, but I can get the older shaft drive version with a cheaper 2 channel AM radio or spend $10 more for the newer belt version with the 3 channel 2.4gig radio.
Any beltdrive vehicle is going to be more maintenance intensive and require more upkeep and care.
To me, they're not really "basher vehicles" nor are they for the uninformed and unfamiliar.

Just so you know, I have it on great authority that AM radios cost more to produce than 2.4gig models.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: crunchNmunch

Any beltdrive vehicle is going to be more maintenance intensive and require more upkeep and care.
To me, they're not really "basher vehicles" nor are they for the uninformed and unfamiliar.

Just so you know, I have it on great authority that AM radios cost more to produce than 2.4gig models.
They may cost more to produce(crystal sets I bet increase cost), but they don't perform anywhere near as well.

A little more maintenance with belts is OK on my part, performance though I would assume is better with belts with less friction and rotating mass in the drivetrain, but again, Im not familiar with these small scale models.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:54 PM

They may cost more to produce(crystal sets I bet increase cost), but they don't perform anywhere near as well.

A little more maintenance with belts is OK on my part, performance though I would assume is better with belts with less friction and rotating mass in the drivetrain, but again, Im not familiar with these small scale models.
A cheap radio is still a cheap radio. I've never had a 2.4gig, always used premium AM/FM radio and never had any problems.

It's not just maintenance, which bashers are the worst about doing, but being able to fine tune the adjustment.
A rookie just doesn't have the expertise needed to deal with it, and even the experienced guys are stuggling with the new 18t2 belt systems.
AEhad to redesign the front diff housing, and they're still having issues with it. Just not worth it to me.
Same motor - overall performance difference, as in top speed, is going to be negligible.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:17 AM

A cheap radio is still a cheap radio. I've never had a 2.4gig, always used premium AM/FM radio and never had any problems.

It's not just maintenance, which bashers are the worst about doing, but being able to fine tune the adjustment.
A rookie just doesn't have the expertise needed to deal with it, and even the experienced guys are stuggling with the new 18t2 belt systems.
AEhad to redesign the front diff housing, and they're still having issues with it. Just not worth it to me.
Same motor - overall performance difference, as in top speed, is going to be negligible.
In one sense I agree with the radio statement, but in another sense, I definetly would rather have a cheap 2.4gig radio, vs a good quality AM/FM radio when it comes to range,feedback and lack of glitching. My old Futaba PCM 1024 does not respond to or have the range that these new cheap 2.4 gig radios have I can say that.

Regardless, can the RC18T2 be converted back to shaft drive? Looks like ALOT of the parts are interchangeable, just curious if this can be done?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:33 AM

In one sense I agree with the radio statement, but in another sense, I definetly would rather have a cheap 2.4gig radio, vs a good quality AM/FM radio when it comes to range,feedback and lack of glitching. My old Futaba PCM 1024 does not respond to or have the range that these new cheap 2.4 gig radios have I can say that.

Regardless, can the RC18T2 be converted back to shaft drive? Looks like ALOT of the parts are interchangeable, just curious if this can be done?
If you look at the cheap 2.4gig radios, they generally are just new 2.4-specific guts in the same old junk body used previously. Only thing that changes is the frequency. The rest of the radio is still junk. Everybody seems to be obsessed with the 2.4gig technology, and while the ease of use is understandable relative to not having frequency conflicts they can't reasonably perform any better than the radio they replaced. Range is totally relative to transmitting power, and transmitting power comes via the voltage (how many batteries) your radio uses. So in reality many of these newer 2.4 radios have a lesser range because they're using fewer transmitter batteries.
Any radio can be made to glitch, including the new 2.4gigs (ask my buddy), as glitching is seldom if ever the radio's fault but the actual installation of the rest of the electronics.
I still can't understand why people talk about "range," when the fact of the matter remains that when you can take most any car using about most any radio to the end of the next block any further than that is totally pointless. I had one of those old PCMs back in the day when they first came out, and I still think it is one of the best ever radios. I never had any glitch or interferenceissues.

The new 18T2's are a totally different vehicle and drivetrain. They share no internal/chassis driveline components with the earlier 18T's.
Suspension and axles are the same, but little else is.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:46 AM

If you look at the cheap 2.4gig radios, they generally are just new 2.4-specific guts in the same old junk body used previously. Only thing that changes is the frequency. The rest of the radio is still junk. Everybody seems to be obsessed with the 2.4gig technology, and while the ease of use is understandable relative to not having frequency conflicts they can't reasonably perform any better than the radio they replaced. Range is totally relative to transmitting power, and transmitting power comes via the voltage (how many batteries) your radio uses. So in reality many of these newer 2.4 radios have a lesser range because they're using fewer transmitter batteries.
Any radio can be made to glitch, including the new 2.4gigs (ask my buddy), as glitching is seldom if ever the radio's fault but the actual installation of the rest of the electronics.
I still can't understand why people talk about "range," when the fact of the matter remains that when you can take most any car using about most any radio to the end of the next block any further than that is totally pointless. I had one of those old PCMs back in the day when they first came out, and I still think it is one of the best ever radios. I never had any glitch or interferenceissues.

The new 18T2's are a totally different vehicle and drivetrain. They share no internal/chassis driveline components with the earlier 18T's.
Suspension and axles are the same, but little else is.
Oh, I know the bodies are cheap, many of little adjustments past basic st./th. trim, but the range from what I have(DX3S and DX3R for Spektrum and the AE XPD 2/3 channel stock 2.4gig that now comes with some of the RTR kits like the RC18T2 etc)and response is excellent. Ill focus on the AE XPD 2/3 channel radios specifically. I never get any servo twitching at long ranges, and the range, its beyond my comfortable vision and field of view Ive found with never a hiccup. My Futaba PCM 1024 on the otherhand twitches and loses some control at just over half the range of the cheap AE transmitter. Then there is the deal with never worrying about frequency changeout etc. For me these benefits outweight any potential negative, especially for bashing. But for racing, thats a different story as Id prefer something like a DX3S/R from Spektrum or an M11X or 4PKS for the immense adjustments,model memory,nice grip feel etc.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:25 PM

]Oh, I know the bodies are cheap, many of little adjustments past basic st./th. trim, but the range from what I have(DX3S and DX3R for Spektrum and the AE XPD 2/3 channel stock 2.4gig that now comes with some of the RTR kits like the RC18T2 etc)and response is excellent. Ill focus on the AE XPD 2/3 channel radios specifically. I never get any servo twitching at long ranges, and the range, its beyond my comfortable vision and field of view Ive found with never a hiccup. My Futaba PCM 1024 on the otherhand twitches and loses some control at just over half the range of the cheap AE transmitter. Then there is the deal with never worrying about frequency changeout etc. For me these benefits outweight any potential negative, especially for bashing. But for racing, thats a different story as Id prefer something like a DX3S/R from Spektrum or an M11X or 4PKS for the immense adjustments,model memory,nice grip feel etc.
Realistically, how old is that Futaba PCM you're talking about? 15 or 20 years old?
Do you have an automobile or TV from that era that you're still using, without any potential old age related issues?

It just doesn't make any sense that you're comparing any radio that comes with an RTR, 2.4g or not,will compare with a high-dollar Futaba or Spektrum.
Apples and oranges.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 PM

Realistically, how old is that Futaba PCM you're talking about? 15 or 20 years old?
Do you have an automobile or TV from that era that you're still using, without any potential old age related issues?

It just doesn't make any sense that you're comparing any radio that comes with an RTR, 2.4g or not,will compare with a high-dollar Futaba or Spektrum.
Apples and oranges.

As a matter of fact, I do. I drive a 86 mazda rx7, and i plan on never selling it.

Now on to more relevent issues, am/fm radio's are glitchy, bottom line. Sure I guess you can spend a whole lot on a am/fm tx/rx, but why? when the $100 dx3r setup works just great, no glitching, far enough range to where it becomes hard to see the rc, 5 model memory. But i think the both of you are forgetting one very important factor, it doesnt matter how many cars run together, 2.4ghz are always locked. Vs am/fm, you have to check and make sure no one else is running yours. THAT is the main factor here, i think.
AND
As far as that begginers cant handle the belt drive....are you serious??? this isnt rocket science, its like advance K'nex, lol. And since its not an onroad car, what adjustments???? Unless he planns on racing, its not even like there is a worry for camber or anything.
AND
Sure these little guys are not as durable as the 1/10 scales, and the 1/10's and not as durable as the 1/8s, but for the size, these guys are not cheap little toyz. I take mine on the track, bash in the back, so far my spur gear is the only thing that Ineeded to replace, and that was due to me trying to push something over 5 lbs, and then i tried to flip a 1/10 at the track, seemed like a good idea at the time.

Personally if you want to try a mini, go on craigslist and grab one of the many that are on there as it seems alot of people are selling the driveshaft version to get the belt drive. sure the beltdrive is a better setup, but that by no means states that the drivedrain is a crap setup. Plus you will Spend about half on C.L. too. If you like it, go after the beltdrive.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: r/c_freakNow on to more relevent issues, am/fm radio's are glitchy, bottom line.
I beg to differ.
I've been using AM radios exclusively for 20 years, and never had a glitch issue I could blame on the radio or didn't solve quickly.
With everybody seemingly jumping on the 2.4-bandwagon, I've only had a frequency conflictat a race ONCE in the last two years.

Bottom line, if you can cure a glitch you can't handle setting up a beltdrive car..
Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: r/c_freakNow on to more relevent issues, am/fm radio's are glitchy, bottom line.
I beg to differ.
I've been using AM radios exclusively for 20 years, and never had a glitch issue I could blame on the radio or didn't solve quickly.
With everybody seemingly jumping on the 2.4-bandwagon, I've only had a frequency conflictat a race ONCE in the last two years.

Bottom line, if you can cure a glitch you can't handle setting up a beltdrive car..
2.4ghz, glitch cured, and if you havent had many frequency issues at the track, dont you think the 2.4ghz has made it so, its great that so many people can get together and have fun without issues, i remember when i had to wait for the person on the track to finish, no more waiting

Old 10-20-2010, 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: r/c_freak
2.4ghz, glitch cured, and if you havent had many frequency issues at the track, dont you think the 2.4ghz has made it so, its great that so many people can get together and have fun without issues, i remember when i had to wait for the person on the track to finish, no more waiting
Tell that to all the guys that have glitch issues because their electronics are a tangled web of a mess, seen it happen dozens of times.
I didn't mind waiting for a frequency clip, what bugs me now is when 25 people are on the track at the same time during practice because they all are on 2.4... just because they can.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:07 AM

))))))))))))are you serious??? this isnt rocket science, its like advance K'nex, lol.)))))))))

the amount of people who have said things like that. then come back to me with a bag of bits saying what went wrong. lol
i say i did try to warn you that the motor does spin very fast and it has a hell of a lot of power. so even if one thing is not set up just right. it can do a lot of damage in the $$$$
Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 PM

Tell that to all the guys that have glitch issues because their electronics are a tangled web of a mess, seen it happen dozens of times.
I didn't mind waiting for a frequency clip, what bugs me now is when 25 people are on the track at the same time during practice because they all are on 2.4... just because they can. [img]images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif[/img]

Well your just too hard to please. Look at it this way, if you can drive the track with 25 cars without messing up, imagine how well you will do at race time, only 10 or less cars. Personally Iliked it when the track is full, its more fun for me.

ORIGINAL: turok007

))))))))))))are you serious??? this isnt rocket science, its like advance K'nex, lol.)))))))))

the amount of people who have said things like that. then come back to me with a bag of bits saying what went wrong. lol
i say i did try to warn you that the motor does spin very fast and it has a hell of a lot of power. so even if one thing is not set up just right. it can do a lot of damage in the $$$$
Well i do understand that some people are too lazy to even try and fix there stuff, which is why hobby shop charge 30-50 bucks an hr to repair rcs. I just dont understand whats so hard, i mean shoot even if you loose the instructions, you can still download them and then you have very simple guide on how to put the rc together again. To me, its just plain sad that a 10 year can do it in 30 min at the track, but some adults complain and say "i dont know how". And if your mad at that last line, its cause im talking about you.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: r/c_freak

I didn't mind waiting for a frequency clip, what bugs me now is when 25 people are on the track at the same time during practice because they all are on 2.4... just because they can. [img]images/smiley/msn/wink_smile.gif[/img]

Well your just too hard to please. Look at it this way, if you can drive the track with 25 cars without messing up, imagine how well you will do at race time, only 10 or less cars. Personally Iliked it when the track is full, its more fun for me.
It's not fun, it turns into a wreck-fest. One big cluster-flock, that serves no purpose at all.
I can get around just fine, it's all the rookies that I spend too much time ducking and dodging to make it not worthwhile.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:26 AM

it's not being lazy. it's just many people think they are dealing with a toy. so they get well out of there depth. i know of car mechanics who have 30+ years experience. but they cannot build a RC car or set it up.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:45 PM

it's not being lazy. it's just many people think they are dealing with a toy. so they get well out of there depth. i know of car mechanics who have 30+ years experience. but they cannot build a RC car or set it up.
Those arent very good mechanics you know then.......
Old 10-23-2010, 05:57 PM

Those arent very good mechanics you know then.......
took the words right out my mouth

Old 10-23-2010, 06:24 PM

Maybe they struggle with the tiny bolts, because of their beat up fingers, but any real mechanic should not struggle with setting up an RC car as the concepts involved are almost exactly the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.