Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Contest Entry for AJCoholic... TEST FLIGHT DONE!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Contest Entry for AJCoholic... TEST FLIGHT DONE!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 07:40 AM
MR Flyer57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE: RE: more progress

Hey AJ,
Don't listen to Combatpigg, he is just trying to make your plane weigh more. Dip in paint indeed!!!

He knows the real method is to dip it in red coolaid and hit it with a hair dryer.
Then a light coat of egg whites and your done!!

For shame combat!!

MR Flyer57
Old 02-08-2004, 08:57 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your making my Mom's Easter cookies....

I think I will stick with my Monokote.....

AJC
Old 02-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: balsa brain
I am wondering when you are going to start building your radio equipment.Just kidding.
I have reliable information that AJC has ordered 3 pounds of pure silicon, an electric crucible and 2 pounds of copper ore. This same informant also said he has completed the injection molds for gears and servo cases.

the "other" Andrew
Old 02-08-2004, 12:28 PM
ajcoholic

Well, I was pretty hot and heavy into electronics in high school, but that doesnt really interest me too much now... Wood and metal are so much more fun to work with!

After I walked my dog this morning, I did a bit more. Hope to get back in the shop after lunch for a few more hours....

I have the "crutch" done and the fuel tanks and servos set in, now I can close them up....

AJC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85997.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	98668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52258.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	98669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31267.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	98670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58856.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	98671  
Old 02-08-2004, 05:00 PM
ajcoholic

A few more pics, after I have them pretty much finished. The entire top comes off with 6 screws to access the tank, engine bolts and servo.

Now I just have to shape and sand the plug for the cowl, and the windsheild.

And, just drill for my wing mounting bolts. Pretty much finished besides that - should start covering this week sometime....

AJC

Name:	Ge94464.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	98748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60675.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	98749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56246.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	98750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs52030.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	98751  
Old 02-08-2004, 05:41 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RE: RE: RE: more progress

Andrew,

That fine looking twin seems a little bit huge for these tiny engines... Don't u think it will be underpowered ? or are these flats amazingly powerful ?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:18 PM
ajcoholic

The plane was sized for a good proportion between:

(a) engine power x2 relative to all up weight
(b) all up weight to wing loading
(c) for cosmetics, I wanted the engines completely cowled in

I believe the engines are capable of flying the plane. I stated before they put out about the same power as a Cox Babe Bee (a little less). I think I will have a power to weight ratio of at least .5:1, probably more like .65:1, which should fly the plane well, in a scale like manner.

If they are not capable of flying the airframe, I will simply install a pair of Cox .049's or maybe a pair of VA's or Norvel 049's/061's.

But I am determined to get even one flight video of the plane as built, with the .040 twins...

AJC

(ps, why do you keep changing your name?? )
Old 02-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ps, why do you keep changing your name?? )
Well, I still haven't found any good one. I had better sort it out quickly now .
However, my avatar never changes (the meerkat, a funny animal), which is more important, and a reminder of my initial name is located underneath (threads legibility).
For full real name, you can have a look at my profile .

Can't wait for the first flight vid (including sound pleeeeeeeeeeeeease) !!!!
Old 02-08-2004, 07:43 PM
ajcoholic

Dont worry, there will be a video and sound as well, same as last year. Even if the first hand launch ends in a lawn-dart and total destruction, you will see and hear it

I am an optimist, and in my dreams I see it climbing gracefully out of the launch with both engines purring just slightly out of synch....

Actually the ONLY thing I am stressing even a bit about, is that I am not sure who I will ask to do the hand launch. All the years I am flying, I have allways done my own. I usually have a helper hold my plane for me untill I get my transmitter neck strap on and get a good hold on the plane. Years ago I had a fellow basically throw my plane into the ground, and since then I only do my own launches!

The trouble is, with this low wing, and extra wide fuse, and twin props, I will not be able to do this. It will take a 2 handed throw, and I am nervous since most people I know dont have much experience with hand launching planes...

I wish I could find a nice flat area to try a ROG for my first flight, and if the lakes are smooth and glassy, and I get a day thats not too cold in March with little wind (rare) I may try that route...

Oh well, thats not for me to worry about quite yet. Still have some work to be done!

AJC
Old 02-08-2004, 08:02 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

HI AJC! Launch it yourself! Once you get the engines fired up, and a hold of it behind the wing, you will see that it will be no problem. It's too scary to think that you would hand it off to someone else! That thing isn't going to need much more than a gentle push to get going![X(]!!
Old 02-08-2004, 08:28 PM
newtech

Hi AJC,

I second CombatPig on the hand launch. My RV-7 is about the same size as your plane with a 5" wide fuselage that has tapered to a little over 4" behind the wing where I hold it for launch. With the Speed 400 motor it is just a lazy climb out. My RV weighs in at 22 ounces with a 223 sq.in. wing using a Selig S8036 airfoil.

After I finish my Sky Terrier contest entry I am going to build up a light weight version of the RV-7 for a Norvel AME .061. I will be making up the fuselage molds for the Sky Terrier this week and will probably layup a new carbon fiber fuselage for the RV at the same time.

BUT, your comfort level is the determining factor. That is too beautiful an airplane to take chances with.

Name:	Ki19506.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	98816  
Old 02-08-2004, 08:38 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Whoa! Somebody stop him!

Geez, Andrew, you are a MACHINE!! It took me a month of head-scratching and cussin' to get the Twin Lizzie nacelles built. GREAT job!
Old 02-08-2004, 09:16 PM
AMB

Default RE: Contest Entry for AJCoholic, a play by play...

AJ nothing else I can add do you have some time warp going 124Hr days?? beyond
belief engines, heads,and now this plane. ( if the rest of you folks have not yet checked
his diesel site posts do it)
Old 02-08-2004, 10:59 PM
MR Flyer57

See I told you there were two of him!!!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:58 PM
flysrc

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

Dont worry, there will be a video and sound as well, same as last year. Even if the first hand launch ends in a lawn-dart and total destruction, you will see and hear it

I am an optimist, and in my dreams I see it climbing gracefully out of the launch with both engines purring just slightly out of synch....

Actually the ONLY thing I am stressing even a bit about, is that I am not sure who I will ask to do the hand launch. All the years I am flying, I have allways done my own. I usually have a helper hold my plane for me untill I get my transmitter neck strap on and get a good hold on the plane. Years ago I had a fellow basically throw my plane into the ground, and since then I only do my own launches!

The trouble is, with this low wing, and extra wide fuse, and twin props, I will not be able to do this. It will take a 2 handed throw, and I am nervous since most people I know dont have much experience with hand launching planes...

I wish I could find a nice flat area to try a ROG for my first flight, and if the lakes are smooth and glassy, and I get a day thats not too cold in March with little wind (rare) I may try that route...

Oh well, thats not for me to worry about quite yet. Still have some work to be done!

AJC
Andrew my vote is to let your flying protajee Brandon do the honours of the hand launch.
Dave
Old 02-10-2004, 07:27 AM
ajcoholic

I am thinking about that, but he has no experience other than hand launching his many rubber powered models... but he is keen and would probably do a great job...

I wasnt going to post yet, but since I am here allready...

Started covering the airframe last night. I wont post pics untill its all finished. I also formed my windsheild, and am working on the cowling plug...

Stay tuned for more later this week....

AJC
Old 02-10-2004, 05:31 PM
ajcoholic

OK, here are some more pics...

#1 is the plug for the windshield and the windsheld after I painted it.

#2 is the cowl wooden plug (black one), the mold I pulled off it, and a rough cowl, and one I started to trim up and sand. I used west system epoxy, white microbaloons and some 3/4 ounce glass cloth. They are light, yet very stiff. I thought it would be better than vacuformed plastic from a longevity standpoint.

#3 is the semi finished cowling on the nacelle...

AJC

Name:	Pn37772.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	99565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80180.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	99566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31674.jpg
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	99567  
Old 02-10-2004, 07:14 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

WOW! Those turned out GREAT!I'm still tossing a coin about going with plastic or glass for my bipes' cowl. I guess styrene is what to use. The bipe has a relatively huge [but simple] cowl. The little rolled edges on your cowls turned out SUPER! Make lots of spares, because you know that RC COMBAT is rough on equipment!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Rendegade

I have a confession to make, anyone who does anything better than me I hate.

AJ, I DETEST YOU!!![:@]

Your seneca rocks, and therefore I feel compelled to do so.

Just jokes, nice work on the cowls, if you don't mind I'm trying to figure out a layup that I need for 1/2a cowls what layup were you using?
Old 02-10-2004, 09:12 PM
ajcoholic

I just brush a thin layer of the epoxy/micro balloon mixture, lay in two layers of 3/4 ounce fine weave FG cloth and work it untill it is saturated.

Very thin!

AJC
Old 02-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Rendegade

Yeah, that's why my plan was, looks like I was on the right track.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:55 PM
ajcoholic

I like to add microballoons to the resin to (1) lighten it (slight loss in strength isnt an issue) and (2) to aid in seeing how much and how thick the resin is, as West is so transparent, like water!

I have fererishly been working on the covering here at home tonight... I have a few more evenings to go, and I dont want topost pics untill its all covered.

I am using white and maroon monokote, and black pinstripe.

Its starting to feel "heavy" but I will not panick untill its all put together, and I take it to the scale for the last time.....[X(]

AJC
Old 02-11-2004, 10:28 AM
MR Flyer57

Default RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: more progress

Hey AJ,
What are you using for a release agent?
MR Flyer57
Old 02-11-2004, 12:16 PM
ajcoholic

"Formula 5" mold release wax.

I also use partall wax and PVA on some jobs.

AJC
Old 02-11-2004, 10:42 PM
JasonRP

Man, I've been away for a couple of months getting into electric helicopters.. Just when I think I am done with airplanes for a while, I ran into this thread.. THIS IS AMAZING! This is like fuel for the brains of all of us 1/2a builders!

OK, all jokes aside, when are you gonna make the super Ace Whizard with a 1/2a rotary wankel engine made out of Cox BlackWidow parts?

I think I'll charge up my airplane radio and get everything ready for this weekend, I've suddenly got a hankering to fly airplanes!

Jason

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.