Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Ebenezer - for R/C?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ebenezer - for R/C?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebenezer - for R/C?

Once in a while, by and by, over the years, as time goes by, long ago and far away, and recently in FM...

...I have run into this homely little FF model from the '50s. Its so homely, its cute. Like Henry's Flea and Eric's Fred.

Flat-plate "airfoil", profile fuselage, quick-building, and lots of "character" (kinda like me, aw shucks).

Every time I run into the full-size drawing in the box that holds my treasured Sml Brd plans collection I speculate on two things;

1. I know that I am way beyond chasing FF models anymore. So,

2. I wonder about an R/C conversion.

I am always able to talk myself out of the R/C project pretty quickly because I dislike the idea of hanging a receiver and servos in the path of the exhaust residue from a TD .010 or .020. They can get pretty messy you know. But if I use a built-up fuselage - well it just wouldn't be a 'nezer anymore now would it.

Ah, but now that I have been gathering components to electrify a Wee Stick/Littlest Stick - I am wondering about an electric version of the Ebenezer too. This way I could keep the profile fuselage and stick the electronics to the outside without worrying about "contamination".

So, I put the following question to you my favorite, all-knowing, little web-buddies, "whatcha think"? Glow-engine-power? Battery-motor-power? Rudder only? Rudder-elevator? Rudder-motor? Ailerons (ptui)? Should I enlarge it to cary the extra weight of a electric version? Should Ibuild boxes around the electronics for a glow version? Has anyone done it already? What worked? What didn't? And should I vote for Dubbya or whatsisname the Demo-guy?

This is just a mental exercise at this point. My "to-build" list runneth over as it is. But, just maybe if youse guys provide me with some support and encouragement and your usual astounding wisdom/experience - well, the 'nezer project might just move up into the top ten - five even.

I'll be checking this post every 10 or 15 minutes for the next week because I am certain that there will be scores of responses, suggestions, and your usual wise counsel. (Let's see well how this suckin-up works)
Old 07-07-2004, 02:15 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Ebenezer - for R/C?

Why not? An 020 and rudder elevator on an all sheet model? Sounds good to me. OR, be still my beating heart, a profile all sheet 020 powered RUDDER ONLY model? Sort of a blend of the simplicity and beauty of a free flight with the rudder to return it to the launch point. You'd have to trim it but between Lynn and myself we could coach you in enough rudder only skills to ensure it survives.

Beyond an 020 there's Jedelsky wings. Sort of a blend of built up and all sheet.

For a glow Eby you'll want a couple of canopies or equivalent balsa cover boxes on the sides to protect the radio from oil and grunge but other than that it sounds like a do-able idea to me.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:31 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This page may give some ideas-
mostly electric, but oh so cool!

[link=http://parmodels.com/index.htm]bradley's model page[/link]
Old 07-07-2004, 07:35 AM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

A few months ago Don Ross solicited input about Ebeneezers in his FM column so I sent him the URL for the Aussie site that is perhaps the defining Ebeneezer site. Unfortunately since then my computer ate my bookmarks files (where the He77 does it put stolen stuff?) so I can't provide it here.
I've had an RC Ebneneezer hovering near the bottom of my own build list for several years. It is imminently practical and the electric crowd adopted the concept wholesale some years ago. Go to Balsa Products webpage and take a look at the 'Fun Foam Models' pics.
I went so far as to cut out two kits for the Cox .010 powered Ebeneezer Flying Flea this past Winter, one from balsa, the other from foam, but both remain virgin in relation to glue. So far my inclination is toward electric for all the reasons you pointed out, but my thinking has extended to mounting a diesel (it has to be a diesel---tradition you know) on it's side a la a profile controlliner thereby directing all the goop down one side only. Mount the servos in fuselage cut-outs and cover the bottom end (on the goop side) with iron-on covering material to exclude the grunge. The Rx could then be mounted on the clean side and the Rx battery just about anywhere as it too can be covered with iron-on.
Bruces' idea on the Jedelsky wing is a good one or the Dakota style wing would work well in this application, but for a simple fun flyer the traditional Ebeneezer flat plate is all that is needed IMO.
Now-------get busy, build one and document it with pics on these pages and shame me into getting off my duff. Tom
Old 07-07-2004, 08:19 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

was the auzzi link this one?

[link=http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/ebenezer.html]aeromodellers tribute[/link]

some good stuff popped up on google using 'ebenezer model airplane'

quite a cult around those things it appears.. they look like my very first airplane, a sterling profile C/L cub.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

ORIGINAL: mclintock

was the auzzi link this one?

[link=http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/ebenezer.html]aeromodellers tribute[/link]

some good stuff popped up on google using 'ebenezer model airplane'

quite a cult around those things it appears.. they look like my very first airplane, a sterling profile C/L cub.
That's it! Thanks. We won't discuss why I didn't think of googling it.[] Lots more good stuff at the links on the site including the plan for the original. As all the pics point out however you are only limited by your own imagination so far as the design goes.
Since the Ebs are freeflights it might be a good idea to point out that the decalage would probably work OK for a single channel, rudder-only RC, but if you intend to go multi then reducing the decalage will make life more fun. Tom
Old 07-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Jim Thomerson

Bert published full size (I think) plans for an RC Ebenezer in Aeromodeller. I can dig them out if you want.

Jim
Old 07-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Valiant comrades,
I wrote a witty, thankful, and long post thanking you all for your responses above. Alas, as has happened to me too darn often, when I hit “send” I was informed that I was not in the right place – "sorry all your writing has been lost". Perhaps this has happened to others and perhaps people who know more about how the RCU software works can perhaps tell me how to recover should this perhaps happen to me again.

So here is a Word-generated version of what I thought I said just minutes ago.

Thank you, thank you for your responses. Once again your mighty minds have made more meaningful my miscellaneous meanderings.

I had not thought of side-mounting, CL style, an engine and it makes perfect sense. I have a PAW .033 and a Tim Wiltse Pee Wee masterpiece that have been waiting for appropriate homes. Maybe this is it.

Since I have access to help learning to fly RO here in my own North Carolina backyard in the persons of Bobhh, Bailey, and Deadstick I had been pondering what my first “trainer” should be.

I was never successful flying RO as a kid in the late 50s so I really am a beginner when it comes to RO. I have, of course, mastered everything else, Harumph. Y’know, come to think of it, I did have a Honker with a Jedelski-airfoiled wing for a short time. I don’t remember how I destroyed it… Oh, sorry, I got off the track there for a minute.

Sharkface floated to the top of the list for two reasons. First, is that I find myself drawn to “early” British designs in general (except for all those big pieces of wood that they use). Second, is that from Bobhh I have information on an elevator-equipped Sharkface. I thought that I could build the RE version, fly and trim it using both controls on the right transmitter stick. Then move the elevator servo connector to the throttle slot in the receiver. Then I could fly rudder-only on the right stick but have some elevator (eventually on low rate) on the left stick available for emergencies.

I had started cutting wood for Sharkface (fuselage parts and Formica rib template) when the E Wee Stick caught my attention. So naturally I started thinking about what else I could do with the components I was starting to collect from Apex R/C . When I saw the FM reference to Ebenezers, the synapses started to fire in my brain (I seem to have little control over them)and that led to this post.

I am still torn between a more traditional ‘nezer with Diesel or Pee Wee power (side-mounted) and an electric version. So, here’s my plan. Finish the E Wee Stick and see how it goes. With any luck and a good tailwind I hope to have something to show at our next NC get-together at JCAC on the 25th.

Pictures to follow. Film at 11 – or 12 – or 13.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

<I have a PAW .033>

Perfecto! The BEST (and least recognized) small RC engine available. The power of a strong Black Widow with low idle, instant transition, the ability to turn big wood and little appetite. Get the camera batteries on charge.

After posting this morning I recalled I had traced out the components onto balsa sheet with an Ebeneezer in mind before I assembled my GWS Tiger Moth last year. A little digging after I got to the shop produced the pile-------only to discover that I had grabbed the 1/4" sheet that had the fuselage outline and lopped off a chunk for another project. I'm really starting to relate to the line that goes: "Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most".[]
I did find the remains of my last RO plane this morning, hanging high on the barn wall near the ceiling with the Mattel 'Baby Doll' flight pack still in it. It'll take the ladder to get it down. I'm just wondering how many pounds of dirt-dauber wasp nests will be included.
BTW Raymond, please keep us posted on the electric LS too since I think I have one like it in my future. Tom
Old 07-07-2004, 02:52 PM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

Perhaps this has happened to others and perhaps people who know more about how the RCU software works can perhaps tell me how to recover should this perhaps happen to me again.
The other day when the same thing happened to me and I was screaming at my workshop computer, my 14 yr. old daughter said "Geez, Dad, quit your whining and just hit Ctrl-Z. Darned if it didn't work! I guess this has to be soon after the loss of data though. I knew about Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V copy/paste but the Ctrl-Z thing was new to me. (Wise-acre young-uns!)
Old 07-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Thanks DB---and thank your daughter too. I have that written on a post-it note affixed to the monitor now. If I can just remember it's there next time I'm having a tantrum about a blank screen.[] Tom