Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

A Christmas Surprise

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

A Christmas Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Christmas Surprise

Gather ‘round chilluns. Turn off the TV and sit still. Vic, take your finger outa your nose. Rog, stop playing with that engine. Ole unca Raymond has a warm and fuzzy tale of Holiday Spirit to share with youse-all.

Well sorry; I couldn’t resist the dumb lead-in.

But seriously, I learned about this the other day at the field and I thought you might like to hear about it.

There’s this guy in our club. He’s been in the hobby for about two years now. And even though he’s not exactly young anymore and has a demanding job, he’s always the first one to jump in to take care of things that need fixing at the field and lend a hand when someone needs repair work on a bent plane – even to the point of rebuilding crashed models for people who otherwise wouldn’t be able to do it themselves.

So two of his club mates for whom he has done a lot of this work have gotten together with is wife to work a switch. She said that he has been unable to repair his own damaged favorite model because he’s been spending his time working on other’s models. So the plan is to buy a new version of his model (an ARF), assemble it, install the engine and radio from the old/broken model, and hang the shiny new model in place of the old one in his shop – and wait for him to notice it. All of this is to take place during a weeklong business trip. Pretty cool, huh?

I don’t expect that we’ll see Robert Redford play the lead roll in the movie version, it wouldn’t replace ‘the Christmas Story’ anyway (you’ll shoot your eye out!), but I thought it would be OK to share this with you – and none of these guys hang out here so there’s no danger of this spoiling the surprise.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:11 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A Christmas Surprise

This reminds me of an incident in one of (I think) Harold Robbins stories where the Guys took their bosses Comany car completely, down to the last nut and bolt, to pieces in his garage while he was away some where.

Nice gesture Ray!!!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:33 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vic, take your finger outa your nose.
Who ratted me out?[>:]

That sounds like a cool idea. I hope she doesn't expect him to find the new gig on his first night in the mancave. I know it would take a week or so for that to happen to me. Still an excellent tactic.

Uhm my favorite bird is the F-20 Tigershark...but a Patriot will do in a pinch in-case this goes down while I am out of town next week.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:32 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

RLF, that's a great idea! This kind of stuff is what makes life wonderful.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:50 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I like happy endings..... <sniff.... dab>

What a nice way to say thanks for helping out. It's true, be nice to others and the others will be nice to you and the world is suddenly a better place to be.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:39 AM
digital_trucker

That's a really nice thing to do.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:27 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Yep, that's a heart warming tale. It's good to have your faith in mankind restored at least once a year.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Hey Vic,

Enough of this touchy, feely crap.

If you find something hanging on the wall of your 'mancave' that wasn't there before, it will probably have come from a spider's backside.

But you're right, it might take more than a week to finish the job. So I expect they'll nail the kit to the wall and leave a pile of the old model's innards in a pile on the floor. That's what I would do.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:54 AM
digital_trucker

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

If you find something hanging on the wall of your 'mancave' that wasn't there before, it will probably have come from a spider's backside.

Hey! Don't knock that! Where do you think I get my ultra lightweight covering from?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:12 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gather ‘round chilluns. Turn off the TV and sit still. Vic, take your finger outa your nose. Rog, stop playing with that engine. Ole unca Raymond has a warm and fuzzy tale of Holiday Spirit to share with youse-all.

I don’t expect that we’ll see Robert Redford play the lead roll in the movie version, it wouldn’t replace ‘the Christmas Story’ anyway (I’ll shoot your eye out!), but I thought it would be OK to share this with you – and none of these guys hang out here so there’s no danger of this spoiling the surprise.
How did I get in this I'm gonna tell by big brotheronyoumanyou'llseethenboyhe'llshowyou...ha! I wasnt playin with an engine or pickin Vics nose..wait what?.....I'm sleepy,timeagoseepybyenighnighuncaRay.........
Old 12-08-2006, 11:45 AM
vicman

Spiders I can handle.
Before it got cold last week I had the door open and had a bird fly in, perch on the shopvac tube, take a dump, and fly out!
How do things like this just happen to me?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:29 PM
ptulmer

Geez Vic, we must be related. I found a dead bird on my workbench the other day. He must have been there the whole week I was gone. Now, how do you get THAT stain out.[]
Old 12-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Well Vic and Patrick,

Since I've been present with you at a few of Rog's get-togethers, I think the answer is that critters that CAN fly are attracted to you out of wonder and concern. Haaaaaw.

By the way PT, I see in the AMA rag that the Perry, GA and Lebanon, PA swap meets are about a week apart in March. I'm thinking I'll motor up North this time. So you and Wilson will have to dine without me this year.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:51 PM
ptulmer

Say it ain't so! Well, at least I'll have Hollis there to console me... And L. Duck! Can't forget L. Duck! (believe me, I tried!) There was another guy that used to post here that showed up last year. Can't remember exactly what his name was, but it was an "N" number. Actually, last year was a banner year for meeting people. Too bad I was knocked out with a horrific cold. Soooo... I won't miss you a bit.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:16 PM
eroc144

By the way PT, I see in the AMA rag that the Perry, GA and Lebanon, PA swap meets are about a week apart in March. I'm thinking I'll motor up North this time.
I'm around 45 mins from Lebanon. Let me know if any of you are going - It would be great to meet one or more of you.

EG

Old 12-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Hey Eroc, that's cool! I'd like to get together with a fellow small-minded person.

Its probably been 10 - 12 years since I've been to Lebanon but if it still fills the three big buildings, it'll be worth the long trip. Don't tell the other guys but last year's trip South didn't measure up to my PA memories. Is it still a 'biggie'?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:29 AM
eroc144

RL - I haven't been to the Lebanon swap yet, but that'll change this spring. I'll check around and see what I can dig up.

EG
Old 12-09-2006, 04:14 PM
ptulmer

Raymond, the last couple of years have been a little disappointing. If there year is more of the same, see you in PA next year. They did add another building to the mix this year, so there is hope.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:35 AM
flyswatter

Raymond, between you not coming to Perry and your "Hoot" loss, I am now in a real downer for the holiday season. I might as well go out and crash a plane and then my feelings of saddness and disappointment will be complete. It will force me to reach for the brown bottle or clear bottle, whatever comes to hand.

I don't think I felt this bad since I found out that Patrick made chili for the club fun-fly a couple of weeks back! Fortunately, we had a couple of porta-johns available for the less suspecting of the attendees! However, to his credit, his hamburgers and hot dogs were pretty good. I consumed mass quantities, including several cookies and brownies. You know, I don't feel so bad now that I think about those brownies. Maybe I will skip crashing the plane and go immediately to the brown and clear bottle storage facility.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:33 PM
vicman

Just don't crash into your PT boat... That would be hard to overcome.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Wilson,

Thanks, you made me feel not so bad.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:26 PM
burtcs

All:

Heartwarming may it be, it would have cheaper and easyer to buy the guy a Red Ryder and be done with it.

HTH (oh yea Merry Holidays) - Steve B.

Nothing sez love like a Red Ryder! (C) 2006 Right1
Old 12-14-2006, 09:41 AM
hfenn

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Say it ain't so! Well, at least I'll have Hollis there to console me... And L. Duck! Can't forget L. Duck! (believe me, I tried!) There was another guy that used to post here that showed up last year. Can't remember exactly what his name was, but it was an "N" number. Actually, last year was a banner year for meeting people. Too bad I was knocked out with a horrific cold. Soooo... I won't miss you a bit.
I see your tables are two isles over from me with two of them directly across. I'll be looking for you!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:01 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: burtcs

All:
Heartwarming may it be, it would have cheaper and easyer to buy the guy a Red Ryder and be done with it.
HTH (oh yea Merry Holidays) - Steve B.
There is a TV commercial where the punch line is, "You'll run the bill up, kid" which always reminds me of two things... the line, "You'll shoot your eye out, kid" and the year I DID get my son a Red Ryder BB gun.

Raymond, that's a great payback those guys are doing...the stuff of friendship.

George