RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   cox .010 apreciation thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/10374828-cox-010-apreciation-thread.html)

nitroairplane 03-12-2011 04:33 AM

RE: cox .010 apreciation thread

on youtube has anyone seen the video by ntprofile on the throttled cox .010 it looks like it had an airbleed or carb on it if you cant find it visit my youtube acount [nitroairplane] it is in my favourites but here is the link anyway

http://www.youtube.com/user/nitroair.../0/d_0EiiS4NeQ

Mr Cox 03-12-2011 06:01 AM

To me it looks like a plain choke before the spray bar.

skaliwag 03-12-2011 06:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This was called the "Little Gem" carb

nitroairplane 03-12-2011 01:05 PM

the "little gem" carb is very nice did you build it?

50+AirYears 03-12-2011 01:28 PM

I had a good laugh at work some years ago, reading an article in IIRC Design News magazine, about some DARPA expirements with micro UAVs. There was at least one picture of a small flying saucer powered by a Tee Dee .010. Striking feature was the long custom made tuned muffler on it. But, the laughter really got loud when I read the text. Seems the pipe wasn't tuned to get more power out of the engine, it was actually there to restrict power. The stock, unmuffled engine was not only a bit noisy for their purposes, but it seems for the size and weight of the multi channel saucer and its video and audio sensors, it was actually TOO POWERFUL! They actually had to hold the engine power back.
Also, I had some enjoyment reading the texts on some plans for cl planes for Pee Wee .020s, with reccomendations being for 15 to 20 feetdacron or steel lines, compared with a couple .010 powered planes that specify AT LEAST 20' of .004" steel control lines.

earlwb 03-12-2011 02:25 PM

I had flown a couple of ACE Littlest Sticks with Cox TeeDee .010 engines and another using a Cox PeeWee .020 engine. The Littlest stick was so small and light that you could accidentally fly into a wall and it wouldn't hurt the plane.
I think the ultimate little plane was me flying Goldberg jr Skylark with two Cox .020 engines on it. Sometimes it was a excercise in futility if one of the engines wanted to be stubborn. By the time you got it to start the other one would run out of fuel on you and so on. But when it worked, it was great.
I still have a unopened Littlest Stick kit too. I have seriously considered buidling up another one to fly. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I remember that after a while they tended to soak up some oil and get heavier over time, until they didn't want to fly well anymore with the Tee Dee .010 engine. Then you build a new fuselage and put the radio gear in it. The other thing was I had a Proline 7 channel system and I used the dual rates dialed down to almost max to get the control throws down to just a little tiny bit of movement. I only needed like 1/32 of a inch or so on the rudder and elevator. The real trick was getting the needle set just right. if it was a hair too rich, the plane would barely fly and you would be on the verge of stalling the whole time, waiting for the little tiny engine to run out of fuel.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...stStickKit.jpg

I still have the fuselage to thisLittlest Stick with the PeePee .020 engine though.
Maybe I ought to refurbish it and put a new wing on it.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...xPeeWee020.jpg

coriolan 03-12-2011 04:44 PM

For the scratch builder there is always that "Littlest stick" plan:
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/lastick.pdf

earlwb 03-12-2011 08:46 PM

Thanks for mentioning the plans for it. it is a easy scratch build, which is one good reason why I never broke open my last kit so far.

skaliwag 03-12-2011 09:33 PM

Nitro... I didn't make it. Came from a back yard w/shop. I have added a scan of the instruction sheet to the post with the pics.

nitroairplane 03-13-2011 02:02 AM

ORIGINAL: 50+AirYears

I had a good laugh at work some years ago, reading an article in IIRC Design News magazine, about some DARPA expirements with micro UAVs. There was at least one picture of a small flying saucer powered by a Tee Dee .010. Striking feature was the long custom made tuned muffler on it. But, the laughter really got loud when I read the text. Seems the pipe wasn't tuned to get more power out of the engine, it was actually there to restrict power. The stock, unmuffled engine was not only a bit noisy for their purposes, but it seems for the size and weight of the multi channel saucer and its video and audio sensors, it was actually TOO POWERFUL! They actually had to hold the engine power back.
Also, I had some enjoyment reading the texts on some plans for cl planes for Pee Wee .020s, with reccomendations being for 15 to 20 feetdacron or steel lines, compared with a couple .010 powered planes that specify AT LEAST 20' of .004" steel control lines.
you said at least 20' of 004" steel cable do you mean more than or less than that

MJD 03-13-2011 07:23 AM

I've never seen steel cable that small in our hobby circles, usually .008" is the finest you'll see and is a standard size for 1/2A.

At least 20 feet means 20 feet or more. I am not surprised at the differing recommendation, dacron is very draggy and using 1/2A weight dacron on these things increases the relative drag contribution from the lines even more.

I'd still say .007 Spiderwire is a good way to go.

The Ace Littlest Stick is cute and all that but was designed when micro radio gear was not so micro and plentiful as it is today.

MJD 03-13-2011 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: nitroairplane

on youtube has anyone seen the video by ntprofile on the throttled cox .010 it looks like it had an airbleed or carb on it if you cant find it visit my youtube acount [nitroairplane] it is in my favourites but here is the link anyway
Here's a video in that collection I DO like:

http://www.youtube.com/user/nitroair.../1/S2th-VsuElU

Looks like a Tom Thumb and what is that engine?

All this talk of .010's and I have a half built 22" Tomboy in the shop.. get to it lad!

Mr Cox 03-13-2011 08:43 AM

That "Jiffiearse" guy had quite a lot of interesting/funny diesel videos, too bad there is hardly any information:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbyV0wyAAak&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/youtube]

nitroairplane 03-13-2011 10:14 AM

Mjd that is a tom thumb and the engine is a mills 0.16cc engine replica I think he said on another forum it is mills style and is turning a cox 010 prop I tried to contact him but got no response

nitroairplane 03-13-2011 12:55 PM

Mr cox yeah i found the absence of information a bit annoying too

nitroairplane 03-13-2011 01:20 PM

Mjd do you have plans for the tom thumb

MJD 03-13-2011 01:36 PM

I may have them somewhere in a magazine in a bin in the bowels of my basement - not sure.

I drew up my own version of the Tomboy based on a CAD version of the Tomboy plans I got from somewhere. So far I have framed up the fuselage and out out wing ribs. At 88 squares I suspect it will be a bit "perky" with an .010. Not a FF project, I will use 1 or 2 channel micro gear.

DeviousDave 03-13-2011 10:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

That ''Jiffiearse'' guy had quite a lot of interesting/funny diesel videos, too bad there is hardly any information:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbyV0wyAAak&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/youtube]

I think I'd really enjoy going to watch a FF event like that....

earlwb 03-14-2011 05:31 AM

It is hard to imagine going to a busy crowded event like they showed in the video. Would one be able to do that today? Launching off a plane in the middle of a crowd like that?
It would have been great fun to attend one though. I am sure I would have enjoyed it even if I had to duck and dive for cover a lot.

nitroairplane 03-14-2011 09:48 AM

I think I'd really enjoy going to watch a FF event like that....
[/quote]

yeah that is the thing that the uk is good for lots of ff events and people who build engines in sheds kind of nice if you like vintage stuff too bad i live far from most events might try to go to old warden this year

happy flying

Jaspur_x 04-01-2011 12:13 PM

Here`s a clancy aviation " the little plane that could" vith a cox 010 on it of course

nitroairplane 04-01-2011 01:47 PM

i dont see the plane could you try uploading it again please,
thanks

Jaspur_x 04-01-2011 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doggonnit, i don`t know where it went on the first try so here we go again. sorry guys

nitroairplane 04-02-2011 07:58 AM

That plane is so cute have you got plans for?
great plane

R/C Phile 04-02-2011 09:14 AM

That video is insane.

I can't believe this guy is throwing the plane right in the crowd like that..

As for occasionally running the engine (If it's been run at least once already). Another benefit of running from time to time is it makes sure that it does not gum-up.

When I bought mine it looked new, barely run, but it was gummed-up pretty badly. The piston / crankshaft were not seized but a little hard to turn which was relatively easy to fix by adding some (Prather) after run oil which diluted the castor and freed the mechanical side up.

However,
- The gumming effect ruined the plug which had to be replaced
- The "fuel distribution block" (Where the needle / fuel line mount) internal passages were gummed-up and so small / delicate that I could not get even the smallest pin in there to free it up. I eventually resorted to replace it to bring the engine back to life.