RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/)
-   -   cox .010 apreciation thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/10374828-cox-010-apreciation-thread.html)

coriolan 04-02-2011 10:31 AM

RE: cox .010 apreciation thread

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: nitroairplane

That plane is so cute have you got plans for?
great plane

There is a big thread at RCG about that Clancy's plane in the indoor forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917446

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=14

nitroairplane 04-02-2011 11:55 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: R/C Phile

That video is insane.

I can't believe this guy is throwing the plane right in the crowd like that..

yeah people do that crazy stuff in England

nitroairplane 04-02-2011 12:10 PM

thanks for the link

MJD 04-02-2011 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: R/C Phile

That video is insane.

I can't believe this guy is throwing the plane right in the crowd like that..
Pull up some FF videos on YouTube, and you'll see a lot of that.

nitroairplane 04-02-2011 12:44 PM

Yeah i heard they do that sort of stuff in new zealand and ive seen a few kiwi videos

Jaspur_x 04-27-2011 10:30 PM

I would have thought that one of you guys would have had  new videos of some 010 flights up by now with all this fine spring weather we are having.
My 010 is being a bit tempermental and is being a bear to start; I spent so long away from them messing with the larger engines that it seems I forgot how to get her to run.
As for the moment I`m making a carb for on the 010, and will get back into getting her to start by next week after I have the carb all done and ready to mount up.

DeviousDave 04-27-2011 11:07 PM

I'm saving my .010 plane for the SMALL fly-in. I have to make sure that at least one person will bring an .010 before it's War Cry is forgotten <sniff>......

Tee Bee 04-28-2011 03:05 AM

I've taken a couple of .010s to SMALL and flown them a lot the last 2 years. There's usually a few more that show up as well. Sure wish I could make this one.

R/C Phile 04-28-2011 05:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If it won't start there's a good chance the Carb body fuel port is clogged . It is so tiny, it's very easy for it to be blocked by a hardened droplet of castor oil. An easy test is to connect a syringe and try to force fuel in the carb. Mine was and I could not get it cleared, part of the problem is that it's so small I did not have a needle or any other solid object small enough to get in there.

I ended-up replacing it and that solved the problem. Now it starts with 1 or 2 flips pretty much every time. It runs great on 30% Nitro Heli fuel with added castor, but won't stay lit with 15% Nitro stuff. I just found another one for a great price, that one appears to be new and a very early example in the funky looking blister pack.

Edit, well buyers beware.. It is not new, upon inspection I found traces of the infamous Cool Power green goo on the glow plug. The upside is that it's a very clean / low time motor, the plug glows, the piston is pristine, and the compression is good. As a plus the old timey package is really cool.. see the pics.

nitroairplane 04-28-2011 08:21 AM

When my .010 engines get gummed up i clean the fuel jets with a wire this usaully works well unless the castor oil is to hard if to hard it bends the wire

Jaspur_x 05-02-2011 08:17 PM

no, they aren`t gummed up or not getting fuel. If I block the vent or breather nipple on the tank while filling the tank it pushes fuel out the venturi freely after the tank is full.

I think that I just put too much prime in the engine and flood it before starting and am way off with the 5 turns out needle setting

GeorgeG97322 05-02-2011 08:44 PM

Jaspur x,

What fuel are you using. Sig 35% would be a good suggestion. I think mine was about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns on the needle.

George

skaliwag 05-02-2011 08:47 PM

You are way off with 5 turns on the needle. What are you using as a glow starter? Take the head off and see a nice orange to red glow. You need this to get the engine to fire up. Coxes need the 1.8v / 2v jolt

If you have the fire in the belly .... Try this...

Close the needle..

Tiny prime...

Connect the wires....

Wind the prop back on the spring... Do t three times. If it did not at least sputter the fuel is weak. The .010 needs at least 25% nitro. 35% or more makes em sing but the element life is shortened.

If it fires on just the prime, open one turn....

Prime again... just a smell remember.. wind it up and ????

Do it again with one more turn..

Do it again with one more turn..

Three turns it should really try to run.

Try some tubing over the threads/ shaft to seal and prevent an air leak at the needle valve.

DeviousDave 05-02-2011 10:25 PM

My .010's won't start at 3 turns, even when warm after a flight. They start at 5 turns, needle to about 3, then if I have to restart I almost always have to go back to 5 to get it to fire.

But it's a dead nuts easy procedure once you have it down.

Jaspur_x 05-02-2011 10:50 PM

I`m using norvel 35% nitro that I add castor to.
I was going by the original cox sheet at 5 full turns on the needle, maybe thats way too much. I`m using energizer rechargable  1.5v battery, glows nice orange every time I chech it to make sure its not time to charge up.

It sounds like they all have their own favorite settings maybe due to diferent production runs.
Thanks guys

R/C Phile 05-03-2011 05:16 AM

Using the fuel tubing to seal the needle (As per the pic on the earlier post) I hardly have to touch the needle at all.. Certainly, once it's set for the day, it's done. Most times I did not even touch it from one day (Or weeks) to the next. It almost always start within 2 -3 flips.

For example I just ran it this morning. It starts in a couple flips and runs perfectly at 7 turns, that's within about 1/8 turn from last time I ran it 2 months ago..

About the optimal needle setting:

Since no one is running the Cox fuel as per the instructions anymore, your setting can be very different from the Cox recommended 5 turns. The mixture is ultimately controlled by the fuel's viscosity and therfore if you use a "thicker" fuel (Like my special mix of 30% nitro Heli fuel with 11% Benol Added) less fuel will flow for a given opening size than it would for a thinner fuel. Another factor is the % nitro used, that affects the stoichiometry of the mix and more / less air will be needed.

That also partially explains why you need slightly richer settings in cold weather as the lower embient temps tend to make the oil thicken therfore restricting the fuel flow past the needle.

For what it's worth, here's my starting procedure:

- Fill with syringe and observe fuel line, fuel will flow in the carb when you get to the tank's overflow.
- If enough fuel went in to clear the bubbles while fueling-up it's primed. just flip it. If not, either drip one drop of fuel in the exhaust port or block the intake with your finger and turn the prop 1 or 2 turns (Enough to clear the bubbles in the line)
- If it's flooded (Just "farting" a couple pops or running real rich for like 1 second) blow into the exhaust port / flip again

- If it's lean and just burn the prime, open 1/4 turn and try again
- Once it's running open the needle until it runs rich then back-off 1/8 - 1/4 turn / let it run for a while and repeat until pretty steady but not quite even (Very slightly rich). That will get you in the ballpark, see how it flys and fine tune accordingly. It should be slightly rich on the ground as it will unwind in flight and need a little more fuel to compensate for the added flight RPM's

So for me, the optimal setting for running happens to be the optimal setting for starting as well. Again, if I do touch the needle, it moves between 1/4 and 1/8 turn or less.

That is by the way, how I tune all my engines

GeorgeG97322 05-04-2011 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a little something...

About 44 years old or so...

George

R/C Phile 05-05-2011 03:23 AM

"Classy Little Stunt Job" indeed. I love it. Just the ticket for the backyard. Thanks George.

-Francois

nitroairplane 05-05-2011 12:21 PM

cool little plane thank you for posting:)

gcb 05-06-2011 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)

''Classy Little Stunt Job'' indeed. I love it. Just the ticket for the backyard. Thanks George.

-Francois
Francois,

If you check out the plans for the Wee One, you will notice that the .010 has the tankless backplate like the one you just bought (above). Apparently the previous owner of that .010 switched it for external tank use. Note that the cutout in the box is sized for the tank.

Did Cox sell the .010 without the tank?

George

gcb 05-06-2011 08:35 AM

George,

Thanks for posting the plans. I always wanted to build a Wee One...perhaps now is the time. [8D]

George

R/C Phile 05-06-2011 09:32 AM

Honestly George, I don't know.. I just got interested in the .010 enough to buy one (or 2 :)) in the past 6 mos.

The 1st one I bought came with the integrated tank and no external tank mount, go figure. Of course, I'm buying used stuff that's likely to be 40+ years old..

Based on my bench running, unless you're into FF the integrated tank is pretty much useless as the miniature fury runs a grand total of 1 memorable minute..
So I found a tankless mount for the one you see mounted on the "Rig" to be used when I mount it on a plane (which could very well be a Wee One).

François

nitroairplane 05-06-2011 12:46 PM

The red and gold cox .010's came with a backplate and a tank when they were new i just ordered a nib one.My nid black one only came with the tank ount though but what i find with the cox engines is that it is a bit hit and miss with what you get as accesories.

Bipe Flyer 05-06-2011 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my .010 planes.

MJD 05-06-2011 02:10 PM

Using the fuel tubing to seal the needle (As per the pic on the earlier post) I hardly have to touch the needle at all.. Certainly, once it's set for the day, it's done. Most times I did not even touch it from one day (Or weeks) to the next. It almost always start within 2 -3 flips.

Once I get my .010's started and set, they hardly need to be touched - I might open the needle 1/8-1/4 turn to start at most. But on my FF normally I don't touch the needle. I just fuel it, prime it and go - though I might have to reprime once or twice. Long as I start it with a bit of prime in the intake, i.e. a bit wet, off it goes. Usually.

Re fuel in earlier posts - minimum 25%, and they are happy on that, and like 35% too. No need for more. They start on 15% but run like crap, the needle gets very touchy and they often/usually quit. Don't even bother is my advice.

MJD