Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

would this fly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 02:31 AM
IRONfistedFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would this fly?

I have had this idea in the back of my mind since I was a kid... and reading all the posts and watching the videos of all the 3D flight... I have finally decided to ask this question... my idea is for a profile "helicopter" which is built for all intents and purposes like a profile "plane" except that it is intended to fly in hover mode indefinitely.... the biggest problem will be to get the thrust to weight ratio correct.... the second biggest would be to get the control surfaces sized appropriately... and thirdly... build it so it balances nicely... any comments or suggestions would be welcome... thank you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69217.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	180967  
Old 10-09-2004, 12:54 PM
crashingagain

Default RE: would this fly?

You might want to add a tailrotor to that
Old 10-09-2004, 05:41 PM
IRONfistedFLYER

well the idea is... that the upper surfaces near the rotor... act like ailerons... and would be able to angle and deflect the thrust.... on the bottom it would be rudder and elevator... just like a 3d plane... I only gave it the Helicopter shape for visual impact... I had actually considered building it inside a coke bottle at one time... I guess I'll have to build one and see
Old 10-09-2004, 07:12 PM
sky_dancer

Idon't know if this will be any help to your concept or not but at one time I had a Kyosho Hyper-fly helicopter. It used a pretty large lexan tail surface on the end of the carbon boom in place of a conventional tail rotor. This had a "weather vane" effect and kept the thing pointing straight rather than spinning itself right into the ground. I mention this because I don't know exactly how you would go about a tail rotor linkage or drive on a profile copter. I may have missed what you're trying to do but I thought I'd throw that out there anyway.
Good luck,
Michael
Old 10-10-2004, 09:26 PM
IRONfistedFLYER

yeah that's kinda what I'm aiming for... except for no cyclic control... I would like for all of it to be controlled via control "surfaces"... just like a 3d plane in hover... I know I'm kinda reinventing the wheel here... but... there are some advantages to this.... for one... traditional props are a lot cheaper to replace than Heli rotors and cyclic control... and the control surfaces are just as easy to replace... so in essence you have a very SIMPLE helicopter... that one could learn to hover on... and if the power to weight is good enough... you could potentially even learn some forward flight

thanx for all the input... keep it comin
Old 10-11-2004, 10:08 AM
AcroJo
My Feedback: (1)

IRONfistedFLYER, you must be 'telekinetic' as I have thought of the same concept. Two flaps below the prop wash that will deflect the wash to keep it from rotating. Initially I thought of slaveing the flap servo to the throttle. Higher the RPMs the greater the deflection. As far as forward flight goes I thought another flap may work, but that would create drag, so am now thinking of a way to vector the motor forward and back. Side to side would be nice. I don't think that the idea is too far fetched. Good luck, Joe

ORIGINAL: IRONfistedFLYER

I have had this idea in the back of my mind since I was a kid... and reading all the posts and watching the videos of all the 3D flight... I have finally decided to ask this question... my idea is for a profile "helicopter" which is built for all intents and purposes like a profile "plane" except that it is intended to fly in hover mode indefinitely.... the biggest problem will be to get the thrust to weight ratio correct.... the second biggest would be to get the control surfaces sized appropriately... and thirdly... build it so it balances nicely... any comments or suggestions would be welcome... thank you
Old 10-11-2004, 06:05 PM
IRONfistedFLYER

you're concerned about drag... but if it's the same as a plane in "hover mode" why would it be any different? my concept... which is sketched out though I take it not very clearly... is to have the "ailerons" near the top of the craft directly under the motor... while at the base of the model... you would have an "elevator" and a "rudder" which would tilt the entire craft... thus directing the thrust of the motor in any direction you wish... I've never flown a 3d plane... is it necessary to modulate the ailerons when shifting from hover to virtical flight?
Old 10-11-2004, 06:18 PM
IRONfistedFLYER

my other question for this project is would it be possible to use a full sized RC gear setup... reason being is I have just such a setup that is laying around with no possibilites of other models needing it in the near future... I don't foresee any need for "flaperon" mixing or anything... so I would really like to be able to just use a straight setup with an ESC with a BEC... simple clean and lots of fun