Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Official GP Reflection Build Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Official GP Reflection Build Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Dr.Watson
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official GP Reflection Build Thread!

ORIGINAL: bdavison

It has to be a typo. There are NO 8.4V lipos.

Lipoly cells only come in 3.7V cells. So all voltages are multiples of that.

1 cell - 3.7V
2 cell - 7.4V
3 cell - 11.1V
etc.

Are you sure its a Lithium Polymer(LiPo) or is it a NiMH battery?
take a look at this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1835%26fvi%3D1
Old 09-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Khameleon

Thats still a mistake. Ebay should not be considered a reliable source. Lipos are 3.7volt. They do peak when charged however at 4.2 volts a cell so maybe thats where the misunderstanding is coming from. 4.2 * 2 = 8.4volts.

Khameleon
Old 09-12-2005, 08:25 PM
3DNobody

It has been quiet here for a few days...

Today I finally got my Great Things 900 3-cell packs in. 2.2oz each by my scale...which is pretty good for 900s. With those and the Rimfire, the AUW is now right around 12oz. Flight time is in the 10-12 minute range. I was fortunate to have a great evening here and I got a flight in before sunset in nearly calm conditions. I really like this setup. I have got everything mostly balanced now and have been rewarded with some great flying characteristics. It will hover nearly hands off now. (mostly just needs some elevator input) It will roll either direction in a hover hands off...until I get tired of it... I can even change altitude just using the throttle. Normal flight is just that...normal. Rolling circles are effortless. When it is calm, knife edge is just awesome...just fly around KE 'till your done...

Went flying with a buddy yesterday, who has a Reflection now as well. He snapped a cool pic of me hovering close in and I thought I would share...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89819.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	323471  
Old 09-16-2005, 03:36 PM
eddyimac

Hi!:
No more build photos, tips or recomendations?

thanks.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:57 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Posting for a freind who owns this plane......

Two things....
Anyone have problems with the rudder linkage? Meaning the control rod to the rudder is very flexible... there are times it will flex too much to deflect the rudder. Anyone seen this?

Also... he seems to be having problems with the ailerons binding... they won't return to center correctly.
I didn't build it, but he says that if you disconnect the connector, everything moves freely. Servo is HS-55.....

any place to look?

Thanks
Exeter
Old 09-17-2005, 12:15 PM
3DNobody

Rudder - Did he use the two "guides" for the pushrod? These are essential for the correct operation of the linkage. Otherwise, yeah...the rods are gonna flex a lot. Also, he may want to brace the guides with triangles of scrap foam to make sure they don't have any flex. Just brace it on one side. I have done this on both my Cap and the Reflection. The linkages worked flawlessly on both. He may want to make sure that the rudder itself does not have any binding in it.

Ailerons - Start reading at post #55 in this thread...those linkages need to be VERY free.

HTH
-Jeff
Old 09-22-2005, 06:29 AM
Fastlif

I got mine flying last night. Have to say I am impressed with the performance, even though its heavier than a shock flyer. it does things really well. I like the fast roll rate and it loops very well. I need more time on it, it got dark. The build sucks compared to a shockey, but hey, its great planes! I did not use the crazy hinge hoot n anny stuff. I used tape and leftover shocky stuff, so its prolly lighter than a stock one. I also deleted the gear. no need on a foamy. I run an axi 2208/34 and a 900mah 11 volt TP pack. performance is outstanding. HS 55's on her as well.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:22 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Here are some tips for you guys that want to learn the fast rolling circles. (aka KIKI rolling circles)

Start from level flight.
Pull the nose up a little bit, and shove full right aileron in it.
If the nose drops, add more throttle
If the nose climbs, pull off a little throttle.

You can control the nose attitude with the throttle. Forget rudder and elevator...you dont need them.
You want to keep the nose pointed about 5-7 degrees up. You'll be all over the throttle bumping it as it goes around in the circle, but it will do a real nice super fast rolling circle all by itself.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:33 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Quick question guys...
Do any of the supplied servo arms fit a GWS Pico servo?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:47 PM
jjmetheny

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

Quick question guys...
Do any of the supplied servo arms fit a GWS Pico servo?
Nope. I cut and glued the supplied servo arms to one of the gws arms and it has worked just fine.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:50 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks.
Thats what I wound up doing.

Flew the plane tonight. Really fun!
Old 09-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Spicoli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a GP Reflection.It flies well but doesn't have enough power.
My setup is
Park 400 Outrunner 740 kv
Castle Creations 18a ESC
3 cell 850mah lipo 10C peak
9x3.8 APC
10x3.5 [stock one that came with the plane]
The 10 inch prop seems to have a lot more thrust but it will bog down after a short burst of full throttle
I need the power to pull out of a hover for the whole flight.
I am new to electric and need help on my setup
All suggestions ,tips and pointers would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:56 PM
jjmetheny

I have been using the Park 370 1080kv with an apc 10X3.8 with excellent results. For the Park 400 740kv I think they recommend a 10X7-12X3.8 for a prop.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:01 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Do stock hinges actually contribure anything or are they just a gimmick? I really see no need to use anything other than a strip of tape.

What control throws are practical (usable) with this plane? The box says you can get 80 degrees... is anyone actually using these throws? They seem to be the ONLY reason to use the supplied hinges on the plane, BUTTTTTT it seems to me that such extreme throws would ruin any resulution or precision using HS-55s.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:26 PM
bdavison

Im running 60 degrees on ailerons, and 55 on everything else. And with this plane, you need it. It flys much better with the higher throws....throws that are difficult to obtain with tape hinges.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Fastlif

I think the hinge is a gimmick. prolly get a touch more throw, but... at the cost of weight and time monkeying with it. I used tape and it rolls fast, seems to be fine. I glued the trailing edge carbon tube to the bottom of the wing, just for strength. I also DX'd the landing gear. I am happy with it so far, have only a few flights on it. I used leftover shocky stuff to hook up the servos as well.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:58 PM
sillyness

OK... I'll try the supplied hinges just for the throws. I like a lot of elevator authority and my Tensor (R.I.P. - wasn't a fan) didn't have enough... maybe it's a Bipe thing.

Is there a better way to mount an AXI to the plane? I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like the stock mount for brushless motors. This is what I normally use:

http://www.zebrahobby.ca/cgi-bin/cp-...ushless:MMount

That thing is awesome... I've never torn a mount off a plane.

Anyway, cheers.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:09 AM
rchaas

Coupla questions, i'm about to build mine.

For those that nixed the landing gear (i plan to do the same), did you still install the cross brace portion of the gear (b/t the upper and lower wings), or did you simply omit those entirely?

Also, i have an Eflite 370 1080kv outrunner. On my tensor, i was using 2 cell packs, with adequate power. What batteries are guys with this motor using?

Thanks,

Old 09-29-2005, 10:31 AM
3DNobody

If you are gonna nix the LG, be carefull of the fact that the aileron servo and linkages are now the lowest part of the plane and will likely get damaged hanging out there. I used the LG as designed and only added some string to tie the LG rods to the lower LE carbon on the wing. I have flown the plane as heavy as 13oz. ( I am at 12oz. with my current setup) and have not had any gear failure, or had it pull away from the wing...I fly over grass.

As far as your motor goes. I started with the Park 370 1360 kV, and a 2-cell TP 900 pack. That was barely enough power to fly it around. I now have the Rimfire with 3-cell Great Things 900 packs. That is plenty of power. With your motor, I think 3-cells it going to be a must have...
Old 09-29-2005, 12:49 PM
rchaas

Thanks. After i posted, i checked and i actually have the 1360kv eflite motor. So...i might get away with the 2 cell pack. Not sure if this motor will tolerate a 3cell pack (on Horizon's website, they suggest using it only with a 2cell), may have to switch to the rimfire?

Old 09-29-2005, 01:21 PM
3DNobody

I put up a video earlier in this thread. The plane is using the 1360 motor w/ the stock prop and a 2-cell. Flights were only about 8 minutes and it was real easy to pull the voltage down and get into the soft cut out. Hovering was "safest" in the first few minutes of the pack. You can get an idea of how it flies on that setup from the vid.

I don't know if the 1360 will handle 3 cells of proped down or not...never tried. If you don't want to buy any more motors or batteries, what you have will work, but a little more grunt makes this thing much more fun to fly IMO.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:44 PM
sillyness

Hows about an AXI 2208/34... I have one lying around.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:40 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother has an E-flite 370 1360kv and we found that it'll tolerate an APC 9x4.7SF with a 3 cell pack...
He's using a Kokam 1500 3 cell in an original design, and not pushing it hard though, so I don't know if it's o.k. for the long run...
Old 09-30-2005, 08:17 AM
rchaas

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm gonna try the eflite with the 2 cells that i have, and i'll probably buy a 3 cell and prop it down and try that as well, as suggested. I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards,
Old 10-02-2005, 08:07 PM
gunnut

I'm new to RC and I have just about completed building my reflection. One question though, about the prop and the prop spacer. BTW, I'm using the stock motor and prop setup(not the rimfire, but the stick mounted). The instructions are a little abstract: it says that the spacer should go into the rear of the propeller hub. It doesn't fit into the prop itself, so does that mean I should put the spacer on the propsaver/spinner thing? I probably sound like a retard so thanks for putting up with me. I just want to make sure I do this right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.