Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

E-Flite BYP-YAK by QQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 12:34 AM
BadBoy__MadMikey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-Flite BYP-YAK by QQ

well guys any videos of QQ flying his is with a 370. he told me at joe nall that the lighter you get this plane the better it flys. he said it's the best flyng foamie he has ever had and he said he's not saying that to sell them. i know one evening at Nall i went out right as it got dark and flew by the light of a flash light and ended up with a crowd around me and after i landed a crowd of questions!!! i flew a whole flight of nice slow knife edge and hovered around into rolling harriers and tr's and like i said it was just getting dark when i took off and by half way thru the flight my buddy kept the light on it so i could finish my flight!!!! we just had a electric fly in at my feild saturday and me and my buddy did some formation flying with ours!!!! collest thing to see two of these planes tring side by side!!! wish i could get a video on here for you but it would take my conection hours!!!

mikey
Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

sounds good,definately putting the BYP on a diet,gonna watch every gram.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:46 AM
malcolmm

I've just started puting my Byp together. One thing I noticed on mine is that there was way too much glue used on the already installed carbon wing spars. At first I was only annoyed at the extra weight. Once I started to try and install the carbon spars that go between the wings I realized that the slots in the plastic tabs that hold the spars were filled in with glue.

It was almost impossible to clean out the glue, which appears to be something similar to epoxy. I spent almost an hour cleaning out one slot, and damaged the wing a bit in the process. Two more plugged slots to go.

Not very impressive quality control, I should have returned the plane before I got started. However, I've returned all three of the last three E-flight planes I bought - two Yak 54s with crushed foam, and a Brio with a very warped elevator. I love E-flight's QQ designs, but the quality control is getting to be questionable.

Malcolm
Old 06-09-2006, 11:07 AM
3D-Kid

Uh oh....well I havent really gave the plane a good look over yet, but I hope everything is fine!!! Video is awesome BTW, thanks for posting.

Joe
Old 06-09-2006, 03:47 PM
icrashbipes
My Feedback: (18)

i have now built 3 of these and they all had epoxy in those little slots. i just ended up popping out most of those tabs and re-gluing w/ CA after I ran my CF rods.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:08 AM
nitro wing

Thanks for the heads up.I got the Yak here along with 3 S75 servos and a thunderbird/Castle 18 amp ESC and FMA Direct 640 mha battery.370 next week.looking forward to flying it [8D]
Old 06-11-2006, 04:43 PM
mike63

Does anybody have (or know) the bipes weight with out all electronics? I have a setup laying aroud I'm going to use and I was wondering how far off I may be from optimal weight. I have 4 Futaba 3108, a couple of TP 1320's and a CC 25 and I'm not sure if I should go with the e-flite 370 or the 400 for the extra weight I'm carrying with the esc and batt. What do you think?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:35 PM
HuckinChikn

not sure how much the airframe weighs.... I would have guessed about 5 to 7oz. maybe?
Go with the 370...There has been much conversation about the motor choice, but it seems as if the 370 is the smarter choice.(wish i would have known that before.....[:@])
Well I was doing a little in-my-face hovering today(literally) and i was bringing her down to land..............damn radio glitched something crazy, and down she went. luckily in the grass!
cracked the foam in a few places, broke the left wing strut and broke one of the CF wing braces.
Damn, here comes the glue....
Old 06-16-2006, 01:29 AM
nitro wing

Guys with the 370,what ESC are you using and do you have a weight spec on it.I have a Thunderbird 18 @.6 oz or 17 grams.I could loose almost 10 grams with a 10 amp..? the weight of a single servo,but is the 10 amp enough without burning up?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
malcolmm

I'm using a Castle Creations 10 A ESC. It should be fine as the 370 only draws up to around 10 A. burst with the recommended prop. You save at least 1/3 oz with this ESC, the only drawback is the cost.

I have a question about securing the lipo. I'm using the TP 730 - it is a snug fit top to bottom, although the slot for the battery allows the battery to move forward and back. It doesn't seem secure enough to just use a bit of velcro at, for example, the front of the slot. I can't fit any velcro in the top or bottom of the slot without cutting the fuse, which I don't want to do. What have other people done here - some pictures would really help.

Thanks
Malcolm
Old 06-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Get Real

i may get another byp yak.. it flys so good and handles 3d stuff so effortlessly i know im gonna tear it up eventually. my set up is e-flite 20amp esc/tp 730/370 outrunner with 10x4.7sf/3 hs55s and weighs 12.5 oz. about 20% heavier using regular size esc and larger suggested lipo than 10.5 oz light set up.. also using jr 6ul reciever. for battery placement mine fits secure with just a piece of velcro on battery to shim it. you could use some servo tape and leave one side covered to tighten battery fit also theres foam weather stripping at home centers with a sticky side that come in various thicknesses and widths that would work well. i was hoping my set up would be closer to the heavier suggested weight of 11.5 with bigger esc and battery but it flys well.. maybe i'll set the next one up with the pixie 10 and tp 480. so far i have about 10 or 11 flights and 6 of them have been at night to avoid wind conditions getting video is gonna take me longer than expected/if anyone has video of theres outdoors please post. thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10514.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	478660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13661.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	478661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12960.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	478662  
Old 06-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Get Real

Finally got some video of byp. a little to windy for me to keep it low or hover well. ended up doing a tail slide and cracked lower right aileron near control horn.. thought battery slipped out on wing it dropped wing so much/simple fix with some carbon fiber.. gonna reinforce the other side as well. might fly it tonight after i repair it. i'll post pics of repair after i get it done. heres video http://media.putfile.com/Byp-Yak-Windy-Day .
Old 06-20-2006, 04:14 PM
nitro wing

Thanks for the vid,definately a little rough weather for a smooth flight.
Just started on mine last night,have to admit that this is the ugliest and flimsiest thing I ever put together.Sure hope the performance will make me like it
Old 06-21-2006, 10:46 AM
malcolmm

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

Thanks for the vid,definately a little rough weather for a smooth flight.
Just started on mine last night,have to admit that this is the ugliest and flimsiest thing I ever put together.Sure hope the performance will make me like it
Ugliest? Personal taste obviously - I think it looks great.

It seems pretty strong as well. The only thing I'm not keen on is that the foam in the wings and tail is pretty thin - much thinner than the Yak 54. Makes it a bit tough to keep it straight. The fuse is much stronger than the Yak 54.

Malcolm
Old 06-21-2006, 02:28 PM
nitro wing

I've built 60 mostly wood sport scale nitro planes,this is my second foamy.To me it looks like a flying pig.Maybe its an ugly duckling that will magically transform into a beautiful 3D machine when in the air
Should find out by the weekend...
Old 06-24-2006, 12:47 AM
nitro wing

It's almost done.Just running the electronics.Seems it takes about 60% power to hover.Was just doing a run up holding it my hand.I am a little cocerned about my 370.As the manual states the shaft needs to be moved thru the motor to be mounted inside the firewall.I just let the shaft slide thru(this was difficult and required some hard hits),did not take it out completely and mounted the prop where the c clip was.Now the motor will actually push apart if pushing on the shaft.It also rattles when doing a run-up and the gyroscopic effects take over.This seems somewhat wrong to me.Can the guys that used the Eflite 370 give me their install steps to double check? Thanks in advance
Old 06-24-2006, 03:46 AM
Get Real

Nitro.. the c clip should be on prop side of shaft now and will keep it in place. theres also a very tiny ring type washer that goes on before c clip that keeps the c clip from floating directly on the bearing. sounds like it may not be on there now? the shaft can be a little difficult to work loose because of factory threadlocker on set screw. also you should have a flat spot for set screw to tighten against when the shaft is repositioned if i remember correctly.. its the same process when running the 400 outrunner in the original yak 54f. i kinda held off on commenting to much about the byp yak because of windy conditions when i first flew it and there after... but get it set up to your liking and get it out in little to no wind and its great.. good precision/floats like a feather and im running the heavier esc and battery with a weight of 12.5oz. good luck with yours its a fun plane.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:43 AM
nitro wing

Thanks.What I did was just push the shaft thru until it was flush on the front.I guess i needed to take it out completely and insert it the other way?
Old 06-24-2006, 11:08 AM
nitro wing

Upon closer inspection I noticed that there is another groove further down the shaft.I put the washer and clip there flush on the motor.Now it cant come apart.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:33 PM
nitro wing

Flew it this morning,some wind.lots of fun.Can you say slooooow aeeeerooobatics? Will go again tonite when it's calm Still got prop noise/vibration,checking into prop adapter...
Old 06-25-2006, 01:38 AM
ctnic

ORIGINAL: malcolmm

I have a question about securing the lipo. I'm using the TP 730 - it is a snug fit top to bottom, although the slot for the battery allows the battery to move forward and back. It doesn't seem secure enough to just use a bit of velcro at, for example, the front of the slot. I can't fit any velcro in the top or bottom of the slot without cutting the fuse, which I don't want to do. What have other people done here - some pictures would really help.
Molcolmm,

This reply may be a few days late but anyway, I used a small fine file on both the top and bottom of the battery opening until the 730mah battery fit (extremely snug) with the velcro on the battery. I then put a thin coat of CA at the top and top sides of the battery area to help keep it from breaking apart when I push the battery out. With my 480mah batteries I just added 3 layers of servo mounting tape to take up the extra room.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:15 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my new straight and uncrushed fuse today. Thanks Horizon.......I just wanted guys to know that they backed there products up.

Turbo
Old 07-01-2006, 11:06 PM
malcolmm

ORIGINAL: ctnic

This reply may be a few days late but anyway, I used a small fine file on both the top and bottom of the battery opening until the 730mah battery fit (extremely snug) with the velcro on the battery. I then put a thin coat of CA at the top and top sides of the battery area to help keep it from breaking apart when I push the battery out. With my 480mah batteries I just added 3 layers of servo mounting tape to take up the extra room.

Nope, it's not too late, I'm just finishing up the Byp now. One question - I assume you mean that you put the velcro on the battery and put the other type of velcro on the top or bottom of the battery opening. If you did this and it is a tight fit, how can you get the battery out without damage (even with the thin CA coating).

Or did you just put velcro on the battery only and jam it in there as a force fit?

Thanks for any info

Malcolm
Old 07-03-2006, 02:43 PM
ctnic

Malcolmm,

Yes, the velcro is on the top of the battery and on top of the battery opening. To get the battery out I push it through while holding the fuse at the top of the battery opening to keep it from breaking apart. The top of the battery opening on the side I hold is showing wear from the stresses of taking the battery out. Then again, after about 100 flights outdoors (a couple days with 20mph winds just to show some guys at our field it could be done), 10 landings on asphalt, and a few repairs to the wing tips and fuse there are other places showing wear to.

Chris
Old 07-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Ryguy

I just got mine on Friday, and am looking forward to the maiden. I do have a couple questions though. For one, how'd you all wire the inside? Where'd you run the wires from the ESC to the battery at? The only thing I can think of is to punch a hole in the foam on the side of the fuselage.

Also, what servo arms are you using? I have several left over from a Flatout, will just filling in the holes with CA to get the things for the Pull Pull system work? I've never done a pull pull before, so if anyone has any other tips I'd appreciate it. THanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.