Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

flatout setup

Old 07-23-2006, 11:12 AM
redbaron9898
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flatout setup

i am thinking about buying a GP flatout and i was wondering if i already have all of the suff i need

axi 2212/26 brushless motor
jeti 18 amp esc
2 hitec hs50 servos
2 hitec hs55 servos
micro 555 reciever
futaba comp. transmitter
NO BATTERY which battery should i buy

Is there any problem with this setup going into a flatout?

Old 07-23-2006, 02:33 PM
3DSAVAGE

Default RE: flatout setup

a radio? If u want your FO to fly and fly good, STRENGTHEN IT GOOD! Use a thick carbon rod and run it along the whole wing along with all the other carbon fiber. And the landing gear is TOTAL CRAP unless yer on a very smoothe surface.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:29 PM
SS2P

Yep, cut off the landing gear and make there small foam pads. It is fine in stock unless your flying it on high rates ( stick in the corners)!!! I've done just a little beefing up to it. you don't need 4 servos... you need 3.. If you plan using 4 then get a 'Y' harness and maybe even servo extensions... Oh yea, get some CA glue too! And prop / adapter.

Which one id you choose by the way. I have reflection...
I just came from flying it, and I made a "pancake" crash lol.

Paul
Old 07-23-2006, 04:51 PM
redbaron9898
My Feedback: (2)

thanx for the helpful tips and i do have a futaba radio that works great.

but i guess i am asking if you think my setup is too heavy or something might not fit and i still need to pick out the right battery!
Old 07-23-2006, 08:43 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FlatOut are made for the pros only. If you are not a pro who can fly in your living room forget it. You cannot afford to bump this plane, all landings must be totally smooth. Great flying plane it is but durability is NIL in the hands of a mere average flyer!
Old 07-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Loswave

ORIGINAL: tIANci

FlatOut are made for the pros only. If you are not a pro who can fly in your living room forget it. You cannot afford to bump this plane, all landings must be totally smooth. Great flying plane it is but durability is NIL in the hands of a mere average flyer!
It's not for pros only, not at all. I'd say as long as you can fly a 4 channel plane you can fly a flatout. Durability depends on how you build it. Plus if you fly over a field of tall grass you don't need to land all that smooth at all... I mean, if you fly it straight down into pavement yea it 's gonna be toast, but with a good build it can take a little abuse. Not to mention I leaned how to fly on a little 2 ch Firebird 2, then played around with simulators, mainly FMS, and a little Aerofly Pro, and then started flying my Turmoil, made good torque rolls and knife edge the first flight, not to mention some nice harriers. I will say that if you plan on doing something like a blender you are definately going to need to sure it up... Trust me, I about broke mine in half trying that particular maneuver, allthough it was after a 250 ft drop... The main thing is that the hinges generall suck, you may want to build it using hinge tape instead, or trim the hinges so they don't need to flex quite so much, either way works. I hear alot of good things about the reflection, and having flown the Turmoil I absolutly love the thing. As for the battery just get something in the 900ish mah rating area, 3S. I'm running an Electrifly 3S 640 mah lipo, and after quite a few flights have come to the conclusion that it simply doesn't last long enough... I hope everything works out well for you, good luck!
Old 07-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Fasa
My Feedback: (5)

I have the turmoil as well. Haven't flown my glow sukoi since i got it. As of yesterday, i finally snipped the landing gear. You MUST land on the pavement if you have the gear on.

I had MANY, MANY landings on the runway and was fine, and also took off from the runway every time but when you touch the grass.....it is an unhappy plane...lol

Anyways, i am hovering this thing with ease. I glide it in at about eye level, pull back , throttle up a little and am hovering at around 1/2 throttle. When i think i might lose it, i throttle up and away it goes. the power on the rimfire for this thing is insane. flight times with the 640 battery are about 6-7 minutes and you DON't want to push it cause when it starts to die, it really dies!

I love my elevator servo mid air yesterday...I steered it in fine doing a harrier and turning with the rudder. I actually amazed myself. Just used the engine power to lower it down to the ground. I am going to replace the servo tonight with the karbonite geared servo.

I love this plane and will pick up the chapman this week so i can play around with it. I'm loving the foamies at the moment!

Old 07-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Loswave

Fasa is dead on about the battery dieing. I've had it do so on me severaly times and not once was it fun. You can be in the middle of a torque roll and all the sudden, it drops, and when it does drop, even at full throttle it doesn't have enough power to stay airbourne, so you'll sorta end up harriering it in, lol. If you do push your flights until the battery dies, just make sure you are brushed up on dead stick landings, and make sure to have some altitude when your getting to the end of the battery, other wise it can be a little tough.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Zagiflyer576

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Fasa

I love this plane and will pick up the chapman this week so i can play around with it. I'm loving the foamies at the moment!

ahhhhh....nooooooo dont do it!!!!

pick any other flatout besides the cap!!!! it may look pretty, but it is the worst flying plane i have ever had. It has insane pirch/roll coupling with the rudder which makes it almost impossible to k/e.

Get the RCU Bipe. Its on the total opposite side of the spectrum than the cap. tracks great and almost flys it's self in k/e...i love it!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:57 AM
PeeJ

I almost purchased a flatout the other day...it seems like the stuff at www.3dxhobbies.com is higher quality and much less delicate. I will be purchasing through them.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:07 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a few of the Turmoils. So far I find it flies as easy as I would expect, i can hover it nose up and nose down very easy. I did burn up the motor and speed control in 4 flights. Sent it back and they refunded it. I ordered an AXI to replace it and hear they are way better motors. I can't wait to get it back in the air. Nose down hovers are a kick in the tail.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:20 PM
sport10

Just did a maiden on my new Reflection and have to say it is a great flying plane. Easy to fly. No need to be a pro. The landing gear seems alittle weak so I will have to reinforce it some. Otherwise a good plane. I used a AXI 2208/34 with a 10x4.7 on 2S Lipo for the maiden> Will be switching to a 9x3.8 and 3S lipo for more power. Could hover but had little pullout on 2S. 3S will hover alittle above half throttle.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:41 PM
SS2P

stick with 10x 4.7, or I found the stock prop to have the best pull out from a hover.

Paul
Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 AM
sport10

I went to the 9x3.8 APC because the motor was starting to get pretty warm and the instructions recommend stepping down one inch in prop size for 3S with this engine. Power is not a problem with 3S Lipo. It rockets out of a hover. I might give a 9x4.7 a try when I get a chance because it closer to the 9x5 that is recommended for this engine by the instructions.