Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Looking for a perfect 3D/pattern plane

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Looking for a perfect 3D/pattern plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 05:18 PM
SS2P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a perfect 3D/pattern plane

Let's start with the important part, I have more than enough experience to handle any 3d plane. ( I bet)
I want something around 40" and with a battery size up to 2100 3 cell. I don't want something that is over 400$ (servos, rx, motor,batt, and esc) I would appreciate any, foam or balsa. Foam cause of it's durablity, balsa cause of its looks. Oh yea, I would also like something with an awesome roll rate! So far I have looked at E-flites mini Edge 540, Multiplex Acromaster, Airfoilz mobius, GP yak 54 (the new balsa one with 40" WS), BME Mini Yak, and finally The Mini Katana. I'm pretty sure that all of them are good, but which would be the best for parkflying, 3D, pattern etc...

I appreciate your input.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:58 PM
flyin_kid

Default RE: Looking for a perfect 3D/pattern plane

The airfoilz mobius is pretty good
Old 10-10-2006, 09:02 PM
mikeygp
My Feedback: (6)

Hello SS2P I can comment on the Mobius I have a lot of flights on mine I have had two now. I guess the first question for you is what are you leaning to as far as more 3D are more pattern stuff. The Mobius does precision excellently it grooves very well it flies like a 90 size pattern plane. The 3D is not the best out there the tail moment is very long so you don’t get the good tumbles out of the plane. It will hover and is very easy to hover in fact, it will harrier also but as far as the 3D tumbles that we are used to with the full out 3D planes it won't do. It will track better than the katana mini but the katana will 3D better I personally have not flown the other two so I cant comment on them. Here is my Mobius video if you have not seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdX1galBMyQ
Old 10-10-2006, 09:23 PM
SS2P

Hello Mikey,

It's true, I have looked at Mobius perheps the most and I REALLY like it. I want to do mostly pattern since I have tons of 3D planes. I wanted t ask about the combo on 3dxhobbies, (hacker motor, ESC, batt HS-55) Is it powerful? I want mad power that could pull out of a hover. How about the HS-55? 65's? I think that for precison aerobatics, 65's speed and precision is better? Comments on the power systems servos?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-10-2006, 10:08 PM
mikeygp

HS 65s all the way the speed of the servo you really don't notice that much with pattern in 3D you do. But they center so much better you can fell a big difference in them they are a must with this plane unless you just sport fly it. I used the 3DX motor that comes with the combo and it has silly power you really don’t use it. Pattern stuff is flown at 50-60% power if you have a couple snaps on an up line you might get to 80% power for a second. Pull out in the hover well I am guessing that it will have the most that you have flown it was for me. 3/4 throttle and you have a great pull out full it is silly like I said with this motor WOT is almost never.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:21 PM
SS2P

Thanks for the input Mikey. I will get my mobius as soon as they will be in stock.

Paul
Old 10-10-2006, 11:26 PM
mikeygp

They have them in currently as of this second I would get one on order before they run out again if that is what you want. Any other question please ask.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:38 PM
SS2P

Oh yea,

How is the manual?(instructions) I really don't like spending time on guessing how to put the plane together. I will take a look at the plane but I thought I saw the combo being out of stock right now. As I mentioned, I want to get the combo.

Paul
Old 10-10-2006, 11:44 PM
mikeygp

Instruction are very straight forward you can download them before you buy take a look it is not hard to build every thing is very straightforward. Call them to see the status of the combo kit.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:04 AM
eugenefelisco

Michael Yosten.....You are the king of 3d. How can you roll the plane without dipping it? Is it the plane or your fingers? I watched it a couple of times you did it slow and you fast, it looks the same no dip at all. Is the Mobius same as the yak and edge in construction and performance? If I can ask you whats the set-up in this plane, if you will. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:17 AM
mikeygp

ORIGINAL: eugenefelisco

Michael Yosten.....You are the king of 3d. How can you roll the plane without dipping it? Is it the plane or your fingers? I watched it a couple of times you did it slow and you fast, it looks the same no dip at all. Is the Mobius same as the yak and edge in construction and performance? If I can ask you whats the set-up in this plane, if you will. Thanks.
Thanks for the kind words. The plane maintaining alt during the roll takes both a good plane and practice. Yes the Mobius is the same in construction but performance is different on these planes. As I talked earlier in this thread the Mobius does not like to tumble like full on 3D planes do. But it groves much better meaning that it goes were you point it does not wonder around at all even in wind. Here is video of me going over the setup on the plane. Go to the video in post #7.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573038
Old 10-12-2006, 03:15 AM
eugenefelisco

Sweet set-up Thanks Michael....thats a Cadillac compared to my Geo Metro. Hope to see more planes from Airfoilz and lots of cool videos.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:04 PM
SS2P

Mikey,

I'm concerned on which prop to use.. Which one are you using?

Paul
Old 10-14-2006, 07:41 PM
mikeygp

APC 9X6E or 10X5E i like the 9X6E but some others like the 10X5E try both and see what you like better.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:55 PM
SS2P

So not the SF props? I've heard ppl using 11 x 5.5 E for 3d planes.

I'll try the 9 x 6E than How many amps does the 9 x 6 draw? how about 10 x 5 ?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-14-2006, 08:01 PM
mikeygp

Never amped it because everything stays so cool I know that I am not pushing it. If you need the numbers then I can amp it tomorrow let me know.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:49 PM
SS2P

okay. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:01 AM
mikeygp

No problem enjoy the plane and let me know what you think of it.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:02 AM
mikeygp

BTW any other question you have feel free to ask I am here to help.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:00 AM
leblanc

Just to pitch in, the mobius is an awsome plane. I am with what mikey says about it, expect for one thing. Probably just personnal preference though. I run the hacker A30-28S on it with a 10x7E prop and just love it like that!!! I might try to run like a 9x8E, but not too sure. One thing about it, is that I think you need to keep the speed up on this plane, since it's a little heavier side and it's designed style of flying. Thats the reason I am running such a high pitch prop. Will take some video soon (I really hope) and will post it.

LeBlanc
Old 10-18-2006, 12:33 PM
mikeygp

LeBlanc thank for your input looking forward to your video. I am running the 3DX motor so that is why the difference in prop size I am guessing.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:37 PM
SS2P

I'm confused Leblanc uses a 10 x 7 prop and I've heard people using 11 x 4.7 props on 3d planes, on the A 30-28S. But from what I read in the north east sailplane products is that max prop size is like 10 x 5... here
http://nesail.com/detail.php?productID=3550

I was also wondering if I could use this power system in planes I mentioned above (mini edge, PA Katana etc...)
I will get the mobius, the only thing is that I'm 14 and I have to talk to my parents and etc...

Paul
Old 10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
leblanc

True about the prop. It does say not above a 10x5 prop, but doesn't mean I can't bend the rules . Full throttle is hardly used, even in high winds.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:37 PM
flyingace451

I don't own a mobius, but on the subject of rolls without dips...It takes PRACTICE and SUPER FAST FINGERS. It's like doing a 4 point roll, just flowing faster and smoother. You need to get the timing and speed down right on the ailerons, elevator, AND rudder inputs.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:09 PM
SS2P

I'm used to it. I can't do it with ailerons on high rates (on my foamies) cause roll is just too fast and I can't keep up. I like do it with my rud/elv on high rate and aileron on low. I can keep up with ease and it is fun to take pictures and videos of it. I can only do it on high rate when I'm lucky. I just start moving the stick back and worth and try not to slow down or else I will get to the wrong position. I also like to add some elev. when I'm inverted.. (on low rate)

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.