Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

The new electric YAK 54 from Greatplanes!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

The new electric YAK 54 from Greatplanes!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:05 PM
bzyguy01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new electric YAK 54 from Greatplanes!

haz, Not Impressed huh? Kinda weak for what they claim. You'll like it alot more with a 4 cell but it sucks to have to run a bigger heavier battery if you don't need or want to.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm at somewhat of a loss in trying to figure out what kind of performance you are looking for with 4 cells. Mine hovers (as good as I can manage) at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle on 3 cells with my setup. On 4 cells I would be using way less throttle or the plane would try to turn inside out.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:28 PM
bzyguy01

Hey Capt,
I obviously preferr my planes OVERPOWERED I admit. Yes the plane will Hover and slowley pull out of a hover with the rimfire 950 Kv but will not impress anyone. With a 4 cell it will pull out of a hover with authority and have endless Vertical. The Rimfire will not on 3 cells. The hacker setup will pull VIOLENT 3D maneuvers and pull out of a hover like you had it hooked to a bungee...Thats FUN and thats IMPRESSIVE. There's nothing funner than an overpowered plane that still falls within the wing loading specs and doesn't hurt the normal flying characteristics. Like I said earlier in the post..The rimfire works but does not pull the watts that they claim...Their specs are way week. Look at the specs that haz just posted, withan "E" 11X7 on 3 cells all he got was 206 watts...I got 226 with the same setup but this was with a "SF" apc prop. This is the recomended prop. The 12" prop is large and when I tried flying it with a 12" it kept trying to mow the grass. So 12" prop isn't a good option. SO...wheres the 290 watts they claim on 3 cells? Neither of my yaks with a Rimfire 950Kv nor haz's yak will come even close to their claimed watt and amp specs!
Personally...If I was forced to fly this plane with the 950 Kv and 3 cell setup....I would sell it or never fly it. Its plain boring with the Rimfire 950Kv on 3 cell. This is why I'm pulling my Rimfire out this weekend and will sell it to anyone that likes them. I'm putting in a Hacker A30-22 and It will come ALIVE on 3 cells!

I checked out your models! You have some Awesome stuff. VERY nice! I'm finishing the rigging on my 33% Edge right now and hoping to fly it this weekend. I will hopefully get my new 35% Sukoi Wild Hare Red Bull Scheme before the holidays so I can Get it in the air by new years. Putting in a Brison 100cc
ORIGINAL: Capt G

I'm at somewhat of a loss in trying to figure out what kind of performance you are looking for with 4 cells. Mine hovers (as good as I can manage) at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle on 3 cells with my setup. On 4 cells I would be using way less throttle or the plane would try to turn inside out.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:52 PM
bzyguy01

Capt,
Do you have a load tester? I'm curious as to what readings you are getting with your 3 cell. I'm sure it will be the same as mine and haz's readings. Remember, Haz said his weighed 30oz's Thats just shy of 2 lbs! That means he only has 109.9 watts per lb. In the electric world...Thats weak. we want 180 - 200 watts per lb to be lotsa fun. It would be like running a BME110 Extreme or even a 150cc in your 3rd scale bird vs the 85cc 3W. The Bme would be a killer ticket but would more than likely kill that bird with that muck HP and thrust. The weight would be ok tho as the BME Extreme 110 only weighs in at 4 lbs vs 6 lbs on a 100cc DA.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:53 PM
haz
My Feedback: (17)

I think capt g is talking abought the RF 35-30-1250 I have the Rimfire 35-30-950. Well anyway i just ordered the 35-30-1250 $44 shipped,I had a $10 gift card that i got when i ordered the yak and got free shipping.I dont know what iam going to do with the 35-30-950.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:59 PM
bzyguy01

Ah...Haz...You're correct! I went back and read that he has a different motor! A 1250 Kv Vs our 950Kv. Good call, That explains our discreptancy.

I'm gonna ebay my Rimfire. At least all you have to do is bolt the new Motor on! I have to replace the front mount as it doesn't accomadate any other motor mounts.....
Old 12-20-2006, 04:08 PM
haz

Why not try the 1250 rimfire? They are priced right, did you get a $10 gift card when you got your yak? (tower hobbies) I also have a hacker a30-28s that a have in a PA Mini Katana that i thought abought using because a dont like the way the katana lands.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:31 PM
bzyguy01

Nah...I didn't get a coupon. I bought it from a local shop in Phx. Do you like the mini katana? Which color katana did you get?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:40 PM
haz

I have a yellow katana,it flys great but lands a little to hot for me.I had a few problems with the landing gear breaking at first. The one i have is a v2 they have a v3 out now so the landing gear problem my be fixed now. You can find a lot of info on it here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440598
Old 12-20-2006, 05:00 PM
haz

Here are a few pic of the yak and the katana i also added struts to the stab.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82283.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	580877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73829.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	580878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23883.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	580879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81888.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	580880  
Old 12-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Capt G

Thanks for the kind words on my "stable". You are right about me using the 1250KV motor. I don't have one of those meters but I will check it out with one the nexttime I'm at the field. Kind of curious about the numbers too.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:45 PM
bzyguy01

Capt,
I'm sure your pulling alot more watts and more total prop rpm as you have 300 rpm's per volts than we do...Thats a total of 3300 rpms more @ 11.1 volts!

Just curious? Earlier in the thread you noted that you were trying to learn about motor ratings.... 950 Kv is 950 rpm's per volt that you supply the motor. WOT w/ a 950 kv motor using a 11.1 volt lipo equals 10,545 prop rpm and you have 13,875 @ 11.1 volts with your 1250Kv. I'm pretty sure you knew this but just in case some others didn't know how to equate that.

I just think that GP should have reccomended a 1250 Kv motor instead or at least posted true specs so that buyers could better judge what to use for a power source at the spec fly weight. The specs don't tell you what voltage and prop loading that their specs were acheived at.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:27 AM
DaveH2

I think they recommended the 950 for a reason. You stated in a previous thread that the Yak WOULD actually hover and pull out with the 950, albeit slowly....with the structural failures that we've been seeing (haven't most of these been with hotter motors?), we know that the plane can't handle much in the way of high-stress violent manuevers, and they know this too. So, GP probably recommends the 950 since it's performance would be sufficient for a lot of pilots, while not loading the airframe nearly as much (as say a 1250) and still giving some 3D performance. Just a thought.

ORIGINAL: bzyguy01

I just think that GP should have reccomended a 1250 Kv motor instead or at least posted true specs so that buyers could better judge what to use for a power source at the spec fly weight. The specs don't tell you what voltage and prop loading that their specs were acheived at.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:30 AM
cocobear
My Feedback: (2)

DaveH2 hits the nail on the head!! If a small plane is light enough to do proper 3D, It can't be infinitly strong. Bigger motors are great, if used responsibly. Full power maximum velocity blenders will destroy virtually anything that is built reasonably when powered with a motor that provides rocket ship vertical performance. Just my $.02.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:02 PM
bzyguy01

Nah...I don't agree...sorry.
Mine and my freinds GP Yaks both broke and bit the dust with the "Reccomended" 950Kv motors. I was only 3 passes on my maiden flight still trimming it at half throttle and level flight when it fluttered and broke. They have a problem regardless of the power setup or manouvers as I have experienced it myself.

My Eflite mini edge has a higher wingloading and is way overpowered with a 4 cell 14.8 volt lipo and has a roll rate of a dremel tool on high setting! LOL Talk about VIOLENT manouvers! Sounds like a chainsaw from hell in the blenders! Its still kickin! This bird has Vertical like it was on a rubberband launcher! But its an Eflite kit and say no more.

I agree that a birds life is greatly shortened with too much power but I know this when I overpower them but this is not the case with this GP Yak. It's failing with the stock recommended setup.

GP just failed to properly test this bird once they received production models after the prototype. I'm sure of it. There has been WAY too many failures on this bird.
All I did to mine was add CF Spars in the H Stabb and its been rock solid! No other mods and I am going to overpower it but if and when it fails I will know that I have caused this as it is overpowered!

I'm a Full throws, Full throttle, Overpowered Idiot ....but thats how I like it. Please don't take offense but If you want to fly scale...Do so and don't mess with 3D cuz it isn't likely that the real planes are doing the Blenders and hovers and such....3D planes are designed to do the impossible and that includes OVERPOWERED!!!

OH..One more thing. GP is a good company and their standing behind the planes as they will replace them within 90 days. They admit failure. They didn't sell a bird with known problems as i'm sure thats not like them.

Regards
Shayne
Old 12-22-2006, 09:13 AM
wing1

I agree with cocobear! Too much power would make the plane fly like it is NOT supposed to. I too have an overpowered MF and like the way the regularly powered airplane flies better. I had to built-up mine like a tank though to get it to handle the powerplant. I also have a Unicorn that is overpowered and the first time I flew it on the new powerplant I did a high speed pass and it fluttered and I lost it going 80mph. I didn't blame Unicorn Wings for my mistake as it was not designed for that. I had to do a lot of work on it to get it to fly on that powerplant. It doesn't fly as "nice" as it used to. It's not the same airplane. I think there are planes out there that can handle it but should the designers design for a bigger powerplant? Why not just design a bigger airplane? I think Great Planes did a great job on this plane and the few who are having problems are the minority. That is why they( Great Planes) are standing behind there product. GP is not going to take a loss on this plane-believe me! There was a guy on this forum who test flew his friends airplane and all went well until he decided to do "violent" blenders with it and broke the stab. I hope he bought his friend a new airplane and NOT Great Planes. This is an electric airplane afterall and not built to withstand as much abuse. It is meant to be lighter and thus must, by scientific reasoning alone, be more fragile. I think we should all take lessons from the way pro pilots fly there planes. I watched some at Top Gun in Florida and all the maneuvers were very graceful and NOT violent. And, I have also seen them crash and burn when they do do violent meneuvers. I think the pros would buy another one and not blame the company for there own mistake. This argument has been going on for a long time. And, not just in this forum. It all comes down to how a person flies as apposed to how a plane is designed. The designers, for sure, didn't design this plane for violence. Violence is bad. I think we all go through an "overpowered" phase and when it is over, you realize it. I also think that people nowadays learn to fly on a foamy. Foamies take more abuse and person then thinks the balsa ones should too.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:04 AM
bzyguy01

ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW!!! 3D is all about Violent manouvers and doing things that "REAL" planes don't do. Thats what its about. Clearly you're dilusional about the difference between pattern flying and pulling off smooth acrobatics VS 3D! There isn't anything wrong with banging the sticks with the "Recomended" Power plant!
You again obviously didn't read all of the earlier posts where I agree that some planes don't take being overpowered and fly terrible doing so...I POSTED IT! and I...Posted and am the one that crashed my buddies plane when it broke after a blender! ....AND....YOU OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T READ GP's ADVERTISEMENTS WHERE THEY CLEARLY ADVERTISE DOING THE BLENDERS!!!!! Maybee you need to do some research on what 3D is all about. Its not just hovers and KE's!

And you say...."I" should buy my buddy a new plane and not GP...Dude......you can pull your foot out of your mouth now......
Here let me help you....Here's a pic of the GP add for ya to show I only post "FACTS" and everyone else should do the same as well. otherwise...Don't post!
This GP plane should take it...especially when they advertise it! Thats why they are standing behind it! so WING1............TRUST ME!
Please don't get offended all.....but lets keep it real! I'm not posting "I THINK?" or"MAYBEE" or saying "IT IS" when I don't know. I'm posting facts.

ORIGINAL: wing1

I agree with cocobear! Too much power would make the plane fly like it is NOT supposed to. I too have an overpowered MF and like the way the regularly powered airplane flies better. I had to built-up mine like a tank though to get it to handle the powerplant. I also have a Unicorn that is overpowered and the first time I flew it on the new powerplant I did a high speed pass and it fluttered and I lost it going 80mph. I didn't blame Unicorn Wings for my mistake as it was not designed for that. I had to do a lot of work on it to get it to fly on that powerplant. It doesn't fly as "nice" as it used to. It's not the same airplane. I think there are planes out there that can handle it but should the designers design for a bigger powerplant? Why not just design a bigger airplane? I think Great Planes did a great job on this plane and the few who are having problems are the minority. That is why they( Great Planes) are standing behind there product. GP is not going to take a loss on this plane-believe me! There was a guy on this forum who test flew his friends airplane and all went well until he decided to do "violent" blenders with it and broke the stab. I hope he bought his friend a new airplane and NOT Great Planes. This is an electric airplane afterall and not built to withstand as much abuse. It is meant to be lighter and thus must, by scientific reasoning alone, be more fragile. I think we should all take lessons from the way pro pilots fly there planes. I watched some at Top Gun in Florida and all the maneuvers were very graceful and NOT violent. And, I have also seen them crash and burn when they do do violent meneuvers. I think the pros would buy another one and not blame the company for there own mistake. This argument has been going on for a long time. And, not just in this forum. It all comes down to how a person flies as apposed to how a plane is designed. The designers, for sure, didn't design this plane for violence. Violence is bad. I think we all go through an "overpowered" phase and when it is over, you realize it. I also think that people nowadays learn to fly on a foamy. Foamies take more abuse and person then thinks the balsa ones should too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89197.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	581740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64566.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	581741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71881.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	581742  
Old 12-22-2006, 11:40 AM
wing1

Yep, Dilusional! But, I Don't think that is the argument here. I think the argument was whether or not you should overpower your Yak. My answer is no. Yours is yes. I don't have a problem with that. As for me not knowing what 3D is-Whatever you say. I am sure it will make you feel better about your run-in with the ground. There are a lot of people that have had great success with this plane even doing blenders and other 3d maneuvers such as the ones on this page: http://www.3dfoamy.com/whats_3d.htm This is why I said you are in the minority and I am sorry that you and some others are having bad experiences with this plane. Just don't ruin it for the rest of us who are having good ones. There is a difference between violent blenders as you describe and blenders which are violent in themselves without having you make them even more violent. I am very pleased that GP is on the ball in supplying you with another plane. You must think it is good enough to be worth having another one and not having your money back. As for my policy on flying other peoples planes: Fly it like it is yours and it will be when it crashes.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:31 PM
bzyguy01

Like I said wing1...You obviously didn't read the entire forum as you would see that Both of the yaks that went in were bone stock without any modafications to the power setup. My new yak, I have added CF spars in the elevator and is fine now no matter how Violent I fly it.( With the stock motor in it still ) I am choosing to add more motor such as the Hacker setup due to I want it to be stupid violent. Yes Wing1...I know that the life expectancy is short this way but I'm not arguing that. Its # will be whenever it comes up. I know.
My postings are for those to take advantage of the advice on strengthening the H stabb like I did mine to save them the headache that so many others have had. 5 of 6 GP yaks sold @ LHS failed due to the exact same H stabb issue within 2 flights on all 5 planes. We obviously got a bad batch and some others might have gotten a batch from better balsa? Thats all I can say.
BUT...A stock setup yak should not come apart. Modified ....sure it most likely will eventually come apart, but not stock form. If it will not stay together in stock form...Then its a pile of trash!!!
There is nothing non violent about a blender! Either way you look at it...the yak has issues and all it takes is a little fix on the elevator stab and it will be a great plane. Flies great and I really enjoy mine.
AS far as flying my friends plane....He asked me to as he knows how I fly and am experienced to recover it if something goes wrong within salvagable reality and he is not. Are you telling me that you have never helped a freind with lesser experience maiden a plane to help them??? Otherwise I NEVER fly a plane I don't own for that very reason. I agree that if Someone crashes someones plane that's not theirs that was a pilot error and not a plane failure...Yes they sould replace it. I agree.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:25 PM
wing1

This is exactly why I and many others don't post very often on this site. I am not aloud to have an opinion without being illiterate. I read your thread. I agreed that you ARE the minority on this thing in STOCK form. I disagree about doing blenders with a friends plane. I am aloud to disagree! I must be dilusional because I dissagree with you? You're argumentative. I like what you have done to your plane with the stab. That shows great ingenuity. I don't like that you overpower your plane. GET OVER IT!!! I am just offering up another opinion, albeit a good opinion, about this plane.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:56 PM
bzyguy01

The GP Yak has issues........and your posts are misleading others to think that all GP yaks are fine if left alone in stock form. Thats not so...My argument is that they have some out there that are having structural issues..Obviously not all are having issues as yours and thats good to know but not the case with the batch that LHS got. Your right about me being so argumentative...Sorry about that. I'm just responding to you telling me that "I" should replace my freinds plane when it was a defective plane issue. I do alot of testing and post only facts...Thats what I and others want to see when it comes down to issues... I come here for answers to my questions and post my answers for others if I know the answer...Not if I think I do. So tell me wing1??? why can't I do an advertised blender?? The advertisement says I can do them with "COFIDENCE"?

I will be the first to admit that I fly beyond the limits of what it (PLANE) should do...I fly like a banshee! That goes without saying, just look at my other posts. I don't own a 3D plane to pattern fly and wrap it in bubble wrap when its stored. I use and abuse my planes...But the good ones are the ones that survive. Thats why all I want is the BEST. I'm not "TRYING" to offend you or tell you that you're not allowed to have an opinion..But I'm stating facts. We're fine you and me, we're just going between each others ideas and opinions thats all.... I appreciate your posts and hopefully you do mine.. Everyone on this RC universe deserves his or hers opinions and regardless of your opinions and thoughts....I respect you.
Remember...Its a hobby and here because we choose it and enjoy it. It's a break from the hustle all day long and I really encourage all others to try it. Sorry If you feel as I bash you...Its not my intentions.
ORIGINAL: wing1

This is exactly why I and many others don't post very often on this site. I am not aloud to have an opinion without being illiterate. I read your thread. I agreed that you ARE the minority on this thing in STOCK form. I disagree about doing blenders with a friends plane. I am aloud to disagree! I must be dilusional because I dissagree with you? You're argumentative. I like what you have done to your plane with the stab. That shows great ingenuity. I don't like that you overpower your plane. GET OVER IT!!! I am just offering up another opinion, albeit a good opinion, about this plane.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:00 PM
WGRoper

Well, after all that.... I'm going to power mine with the 1250. I generally overpower my planes, but then again, I practice throttle management. I just like having the extra oomp there if I need it.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Capt G

This has been an entertaining discussion. I do want to thank Buzyguy for the tips on modifying the stab. That's the kind of stuff I read these forums for and I'm glad I made the mods before I assembled the stab. Makes me feel a lot more confident in the airframe. I saw the recommendation for the 950 motor and when I discovered I could install the 1250 for the same price without any mods it was a natural for me as I knew I would get a little better performance without any penalty. That's all the mods I really need. If I need speed , i've got a little electric hotliner that does over 100mph. That gets the adrenaline flowing.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:08 PM
fingers73

Do you guys think I would be better off just making a new horizontal stab since I hate the transparent covering any how. I have not built it yet but dont want any problems. What is the exact cause of the failure? Is the stab made out of a contest balsa or just to thin? Also I to have not read every post in this forum, I just don't have time to dedicate my life to rc universe forums so try not to jump me to bad.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:25 PM
haz

Well guys i just removed the rf 950 and installed the 1250 . WOT 11x5.5 apc 31 amps 311 watts 2100 apex, 10x5 apc 254 watts 24 amps I also tested a 12x3.8 sf but that was over 336 watts . Iam also using a 35 amp esc. Capt G what amp esc are you using? I like the 11x5.5 but i think the 31 amps on my batts is a bit to much, the Suggested Prop Size is a 10x7 I will pick one up and give it a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.