Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Precision Aerobatics announces electric extra 260

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Precision Aerobatics announces electric extra 260

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:31 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precision Aerobatics announces electric extra 260

Quoting PA themselves from a thread on RCG:

In spite of rising cost, the price will be same as the Katana MD, $189.99

Specifications
Wingspan 1219mm (48"
Length 1094mm (43"
Wing area 490sq in
AUW: 955g / 33.7oz
Wing loading: 9.9oz/sq.ft
Motor: PA Thrust 30
ESC: PA Quantum 40
Servos: 4 Micro servos 1.6kg/cm torque
Lipo pack: PA 2,200mAh 11.1V
Prop: APC 12x6 E or 13x6.5 E

Our Slogan for the new PA Extra 260 is “Breaking All the Rules†– which is literally what we achieved in the design of this model.

We approached the new design with the short “wish-list†you guys posted on RCG and with FiberFusion™ construction technology under our belt. The result is an amazing aircraft designed for unlimited aerobatic performance with a level of precision demanded by today’s Freestyle competitions.

While the Extra is larger than the PA Katana MD and features fully air-foiled tail section it weighs the same as the Katana MD! This means the new 260 is now the lightest model in its size category, yet is it one of the robust models available on the market today.

Being this light also mean you can power the PA Extra 260 by the same lightweight 30 size iPAs setup as the Katana MD. (If you don’t have the set up yet – check the special discounts on our website – not only you save $35 on the combo shipping is FREE worldwide).

Similar to the Katana MD, the new PA 260 ailerons fit into the wing trailing edge tunnels and are glued and pre-aligned in the factory.

The PA Extra 260 excels in all tumbling manoeuvers. Violent walls, snaps rolls, flat spins (representative of full-scale aircraft) are just some of the high-speed, high-energy maneuvers the Extra 260 is capable of performing.
On the post-stall extreme freestyle end, the Extra 260 is fully capable of executing excellent, well balanced rolling harriers (extremely slow and persistent) and slow stable harriers (both upright and inverted) with no wing rocking.
Elevators are extremely stable (allowing long elevators all the way down to a spot landing) and harrier turns are tight and stable. Transitions into high Alpha flight are extremely smooth and stable. The 260 also Knife Edges, with the accuracy to perform KE circuits adds a further dimension of precision to the overall flight performance.
So if you demand precision flying with unrestricted freestyle and 3D agility, the PA Extra 260 is the ultimate no-holds-barred, high performance aerobatics machine that delivers.

End quote, needless to say i am pretty excited about this one.

I want a green one, how about you?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73622.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	868494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56745.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	868495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29354.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	868496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45726.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	868497  
Old 02-03-2008, 05:29 AM
clovus

Default RE: Precision Aerobatics announces electric extra 260

Man!

I just ordered the addiction this afternoon, now I want one of these too! 48" WS sounds sweet as......Guess I should take a leaf out of Doc Austins book and start working my 3DHS extra 300 SHP really hard to make room in the hangar.....

clovus
Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Well, I ordered the Green one this weekend. Now, to figure out the ultimate set up!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 AM
aflipz

ORIGINAL: P-51B

Well, I ordered the Green one this weekend. Now, to figure out the ultimate set up!

What do you mean figure out? they told you already.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: aflipz

ORIGINAL: P-51B

What do you mean figure out? they told you already.

Thats one view ... I guess.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:00 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

the suggested set up is perfect....

another option is the Torque 900.....
Old 02-18-2008, 03:02 PM
aflipz

That's what i am saying... there are only 3 "ultimate" setups for this bird.

two are PA and AH's recommended setups, the third is an identical motor from apache, but it's so hard to find there's no point.

other things may "fit" and "work" but the ideal (aka ultimate) setup is the one they recommend. everything else is a series of compromises.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:24 PM
zoomer199

Received mine today. Fit and finish beautiful.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:44 PM
kid chuckles

That is quite a price for such a small type plane. Others in this catagory are much cheaper. Am i right? I have the Green Addiction and though it is a very good 3D plane and very very light it was pricey and if i crash this one will probabaly not spend that much on a plane of this size anymore. By the time i outfitted this 39" plane i have well in acsess of 300.00 more like 4 in a 39incher. If they came down a bit on price i think they would have sold more than they made so far lol. But none the less hope i don't crash it beyond fixing cause it does fly awsume and I am sure the Extra will also. PRICEY though lol.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:50 PM
aflipz

ORIGINAL: kid chuckles

That is quite a price for such a small type plane. Others in this catagory are much cheaper. Am i right? I have the Green Addiction and though it is a very good 3D plane and very very light it was pricey and if i crash this one will probabaly not spend that much on a plane of this size anymore. By the time i outfitted this 39" plane i have well in acsess of 300.00 more like 4 in a 39incher. If they came down a bit on price i think they would have sold more than they made so far lol. But none the less hope i don't crash it beyond fixing cause it does fly awsume and I am sure the Extra will also. PRICEY though lol.

Well, it's the same price as their slightly smaller but much less intricate Katana MD, and it's only a few bucks more than the average plane of this dimension (3D hobby shop, extreme flight rc etc) 10$ more than an AJ extra and all the carbon fibre used? I think it's a bargain.

but... you should never spend more on a plane than you are willing to accept losing on the first flight in case of extreme bad luck. This prevents you from enjoying it.

you can get a defective neoplanes yak54 of similar dimensions but it won't be anywhere near the quality of a quality passed PA plane.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Bcolici

ORIGINAL: kid chuckles

I agree a bit pricey for a plane this size then include all the electronics to get it flying.fiber fusion or not i could only imagine what the markup is on any of these models we fly [X(] sometimes you pay for the name, sometimes you get what you pay for.
E-Flite Extra 260 looks like my next contender.Still have yours aflipz?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:04 PM
aflipz

yes i do,

It's an alright plane, pretty damn good even but it's a cheap flying toy when you compare it to a Katana MD, let alone a PA 260 which is even more evolved (more pre-assembly done and airfoiled tail feathers)

Bottom line is if it's too expensive for you don't buy it...

but again... comparably sized planes are all very similarly priced (do NOT compare this to a eflite 260 or a mini funtana X as they are not even remotely similar)

as for the electronics; any plane you choose even the eflites are going to need servos like hs65's = same cost, 2100 packs= same cost 35A esc= same cost... it's also going to need a rx, and the motors are almost the same price too (thrust 30 vs park 480 for instance the overall difference is only a few bucks.

Yes markup is high on all arfs. but who do you think marks up by more? a 179.99 fliton AJ extra or a 189.99 PA extra with all the carbon and complex design?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 PM
aflipz

looking back at my "too expensive for you"

I just want to make sure i don't come through a a bourgeois *******! It is a lot of money for me too, but i think it's worth it therefore i enjoy it. If i went into it already thinking it was too much money it would stop me from enjoying it. I'm not rich... that's why my flagships are these PA planes; until big pack prices go down that's as far as my budget will take me.

I COULD make huge sacrifices and buy myself a 40% plane and electrify it; but i could certainly not afford to crash it therefore i won't buy one.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Bcolici

But really arent they just all toys, different quality.I never stated it was to expensive just pricey and for sure if ya cant afford to buy it ,then dont.
anyone sporting one yet and if so how do you like?
Peace and have fun flyin
Old 03-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Bcolici

oops my bad
Old 03-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Bcolici

Ill take the green one as well.Anybody want to buy a 210 gallon Reef Tank.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:12 AM
bmotorcycle

I just purchased one of the PA Extra 260 at a hobby store more than 40 miles from the house. After opening the box, I was disappointed with the build quality. The canopy was way wide towards the back, after looking at it, it was evident that none of the spars had glue on them. Re-fitted the spars and glued and it fits fine. Now I was a little nervous so I started checking other pieces and the motor mount frame had the same issues, many of the joints were not glued, again re-glued and again all seems fine.

I have been flying E-flite motors for many years and I have a few 480's that aren't being used, my hobby dealer said that a 480 would fit right in, not exactly true. A little modification and it is now mounted. I have not owned any PA product, but what I have read they are very good models and I will be ultimately happy with the purchase. Looking forward to completing and flying...........Bob
Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Witterings

Bob,
You sure a 480's going to have enough kick in it, would have thought its a bit light on power especailly if you're wanting to do 3D ????
Old 05-01-2008, 08:19 AM
aflipz

I'd rather go over missing glue joints than find puddles of excess adhesives all over my plane anyday... plus the manual calls for going over the motor box glue joints anyway.

If your hobby shop owner recommended the use of a park 480 motor in this plane he's got to be some kind of a morron... And you modified the mount to accept that inadequate motor?

sigh... there's a fine plane wasted.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 AM
bmotorcycle

Okay, okay I give, I guess the 480 motor is not the one to use, what motor do you all recommend. If it is the PA Thrust 30 where do I get one in the States, or do I have to buy from PA direct? Thanks for your direct input, at least I did not cut or drill into the firewall...........Thanks......Bob
Old 05-01-2008, 11:16 AM
aflipz

you can get the thrust 30 from australia, they have an interesting esc/motor combo price including worldwide shipping, takes like a week, maybe a week and a half to get there, or you can get the torque 2818/900 from Atlanta hobby.

there is an apache that also works well, i think its apm 3018-14 if i am not mistaken... it's same size and kv 105 grams 905kv.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:52 PM
bmotorcycle

It is obvious that you are not an E-Flite fan but I will ask, will an 40 amp E-Flite ESC work with the either of the recommended motors, again I have two doing nothing?............thanks...........
Old 05-01-2008, 03:08 PM
aflipz

sure you can use it.

Are they V2 with the stronger bec the bec is my main concern really.. dead stick we can deal with, dead radio is another story.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Greg Cothern
My Feedback: (8)

Just maidened my Yellow PA Extra 260 this afternoon... Its equipped with Thrust motor, Quantum ESC, Hitec HS-65 servo's, and Berg RX. It fly's very nice, stable, very capable, FUN, and landings were super fun and easy!

Its another winner from PA. I would only make 3 changes to it, first would be to swap the pull-pull servo location to the back hatch opening. Second I would make the wings bolts opposite of what they are, add a piece of liteply or small hardwood block to the wing root rib to allow a nylon cap screw threaded in just like larger scale aerobats. Third change would be to move the horizontal stab forward so the trailing edge of the elevators are even with the rudder hinge line to eliminate the wing rock in high alpha manuevers.

All in all a very fun bird! The Katana MD now has a brother in my Hangar! LOL.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:13 AM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

I thought this plane was supposed to have little to no wing rock as it is? I'm looking at ordering one today I think. I have the H-65's already so I'll buy the ARF, ESC, probably a CC and an Outrunner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.