Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

51" foamy $8.00

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 51

Right on! Love to see new pinkies pop-up every once in a while! I still enjoy mine, "The Toxic Pinkie",whenever the wind feels like giving me a flying break. Not too often this time of year but you get it!

Looks like you did a nice job!!!

Happy New Year to all!

Zim

PS: Absolutely love the wheels....I got shot down on here for wanting to mount wheels. LOL!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
sarky1

Thanks!

I flew it a few times and then had a flight failure. Not sure what the cause was aileron servo or the control horn but I lost an aileron when I was a little too close to a tree and ended up sitting it on the top of the tree nice and softly.

We had to do some climbing to get it out and during this process there was some slight "accidental" damage. I wanted to build a 41" as well so this was my excuse.

The wheels are great IMO I don't quite have the skill to grab it out of the air in a hover they sure do add some weight I have used some chopped up heli training gear, strong carbon fiber rods for the mounting so it does not cause too much trouble.

Here are some pictures of the 41" underway, I'm trying something a little different for the wing spar this time as I had trouble getting a perfect piece of wood last time. This time I'm going to usecorrugated plastic sheeting, Its not super strong when it comes to top and bottom flexing but try and bend that stuff sideways and you got not chance. I'll be putting this on the wing tonight hopefully so we will see how it goes.

I also drafted this plane up in Google Sketchup Not sure if you guys have used this before but its free and well PERFECT for this kind of thing, Allows you to pullmeasurementand basically build your plane before you built it
If anyone wants the plans or some I made for a 45" extra300s let me know. I have a buddy in the process of building the 300s right now, I will post his progress soon.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

I would take those plans if they were posted, thanks.

I noticed that you mounted your Aileron servos much further away than Jay intended them to be in the plans. You have to use much longer push-rods of course because of this. I can't remember Jays exact reason for the close mount but I think it has something to do with crisper response due to a more stable rod. The longer it is the more it flexes....Probably a non-issue but wondering if it had something to do with your failure?

Seems my biggest complain about how mine flies is due to the tape coming undone on the rudder and elevator... I have tried 3-4 different packing tapes, blenderm and Hockey tape and it never seems to stick super-solid for very long. I cant stand the sloppiness that occurs in the controls to say the least. What kind of tapes are people using and do you use any plastic hinges under the tape? Maybe its just something that needs to be redone every so often....

Zim
Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

.....I've had these plastic GWS LARGE-but-light wheels at the ready, for when I get the gumption to install landing gear. I will mount them coming off the wooden spar on separate hardware and chunk a mini turning wheel to the rudder..... The wheels have their own shock absorbing action! Great size for mowed grass too!Those wheels you have stick in the grass??

Zim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52333.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1543307  
Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 AM
sarky1

Hey Zim,

That is a good point, I really didn't have any reason to put them there other then It was rather central and I already had some rods that were that length. The rods have almost no flex in them at that length so I don't think they caused the issues but I will be sure to double check before I put them on the new wings today.

The tape on mine has not budged I'm not sure if it has not been on long enough to start to lose stick or what but I use "3m Scotch Duct Tape TOUGH Transparent", and when i have to pull apieceoff the foam it tends to take a small layer of foam with it. Maybe see if you can get hold of some and give it a try.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 AM
sarky1

Yeah those wheels would be perfect. The ones I have weresurprisinglywell. even on a really badly chopped up field on a cold day when the grass wascompletelyfrozen I did not have them grab once. I think because they were set rather far forward and a tail dragged on the back made it just fine.

Still contemplating putting them on my new one I think I'm going to have to, they are just fun

P.S I will clean up the plans and post them.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Zim-uh-tosa

I'll have to look into that 3m tape. Like i said, I tried 3-4 different tapes and they all pulled off pretty easy.... I was also thinking that because i am running 178 watts per-pound, the stupid speeds i fly at is too much for this type of plane. Although i do train for hover, I do it 1-2 mistakes high...I guess I use it more for aerobatics and sport flying...lol

Happy Flying!

Zim

PS. Where the heck is Jay??!!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:33 PM
krazekajin

Question for all of you,

If I was to build a plane similar to the original one that started this thread.  Would this motor work
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4015A

Is there a cheaper option that still is quality?

Would this reciever and servo package work?
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...dID=SPMAR6300F

If not, what do you recommend?  It does need to be spectrum so I can bind and and fly.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:17 PM
sarky1

Heykrazekajin,

I think that will ample poweras longas you keep the weight at areasonable amount, I have the park 485 from Eflight in my 41" now and it was just enough in my 51" but Its perfect if not over the top for the 41"

RX and servos should be fine, if you ask me. Only upgrade could be metal gears but I have not seemed to need them.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
sarky1

Here is video of my 41"

Flys like a DREAM the power is perfect and now I have cleaned up the servo's I was using the throws are ample. Day was a bit windy so I could not hover but I have learnt how to do it with this plane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2exiyHNGV-I

Old 01-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

ORIGINAL: krazekajin

Question for all of you,

If I was to build a plane similar to the original one that started this thread. Would this motor work
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4015A

Is there a cheaper option that still is quality?

Would this reciever and servo package work?
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...dID=SPMAR6300F

If not, what do you recommend? It does need to be spectrum so I can bind and and fly.

That motor would work great.......I use a smaller motor, the MonsterPower 10 and my plane has tons and tons of power..It will take off out of my hand at about 30-35 MPH!.. If you would like to buy a much, much, much cheaper version of a power 15 or power 10, go to hobbypartz.com and you can get either one for under $20!! I use the exceed MonsterPower10 and it gives me about 180 watts per pound of power!!! It has been very reliable and it still runs as nice as it did the day i bought it....

I only use the Hitec HS65s with the karbonite gears, i believe that Jay uses the The Hitech 81's(look at first or second post)...I personally do not trust using Spektrum brand servos...You get what you pay for and just like my DX6i, they are cheap!

I would look into at least the AR6000, i think that the receiver you have a link to is for indoor and close flying. I personally use the AR6200 with satellite, but its not really needed..I fly my plane outdoors only and really really far away at times... Does the 6300 have room to do dual servo ailerons? It must have a weak point to be so cheap???

GL,

Zim
Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM
sarky1

Good point on the RX Zim. I have theAR6110 for mine and also fly it quite far away now, its been great.

I personally have not had issues with thespectrumservo's but I guess I have heard of some issues people have had.

LOVING this plane I can get away with flying it at parks and people don't get upset, "Its just foam mate", oh really!!

Teaching my self harrier rolls now, man its hard
Old 04-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

I am in the process of making another plane out of the Pink foam. Instead of Jay's dimensions, I loosely followed the dimensions of the Precision Aerobatics Addiction X... I went way out of my comfort zone with building and decided to laminate the fuse to make it a full inch thick. The first plane I built(jays Cap232) used a light skin of Gorilla Glue surrounding the foam on the motor mount for extra support (my nose would crack and tear very easily). This plane, I laminated the front "cowl" area with 4 layers of pink foam and then shaped the foam to how I wanted it. In these pictures I do not have the motor yet and wanted to do a final shaping and possible shortening of the foam area between motor and LE of wing. I was in experimental mode for most of this build and will continue to be all the through. Another difference in construction is that I am not adding the horizontally mounted support foam that runs the entire length of the fuse. Instead, I used the denser "foamular" and have a small strip of carbon fiber along the bottom of the plane (fuse had a slight bend to the right when looking down the nose). I am going to paint graphics with the airbrush again however, I will be painting the entire plane as well. Landing gear and steerable tail wheel are being added to this plane.... Last plane had a 375w motor for 178 wpp. This plane has a 430w motor for close to 190 wpp...

Should be fun.

wingspan 50"
length 52"
weight 2.4 lbs.
motor 3542-10 Outrunner
esc EZ Flite 50 Amp
bec 3a/6v

Here's the start of my Foam'dikshun

Oh yes, and that is a KFm wing. I used one on a Funder and Lightning with success. Experimenting with it on this new plane......Last pic is the funder and KFm...

Name:	Xu62523.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1596776   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45232.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1596777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94894.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	1596778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48780.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	1596779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56581.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	1596780  
Old 04-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

These 2 pictures show the alignment of the wings and horizontal stab. Also, check out that cowl block... Probably going to mount a plastic cowl over the front to get more dimension....

Name:	Ec87257.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	1596789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66915.jpg
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1596790  
Old 04-20-2011, 02:17 PM
sarky1

Yeah man thats looking good!!

Keep posting I want to see that thing go.

I just moved to canada and have to leave my 41" in Canada, Been to about 20 shops and can't find the pink foam anywhere
Old 04-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

ORIGINAL: sarky1

Yeah man thats looking good!!

Keep posting I want to see that thing go.

I just moved to canada and have to leave my 41'' in Canada, Been to about 20 shops and can't find the pink foam anywhere
I feel ya! I moved from the Bay Area where I knew exactly where to find the stuff. When I recently moved near Folsom Ca, I was frantic to find something I could build planes out of. Not 1 store had the pink stuff (or Blue Dow Foam)having looked for weeks in stores close to Sacramento...Then I decided to move my search away from Sacramento and found some at a Home depot that was real close to me... I swore that i had already been to that store and asked them about it even....Anyway, this foamular up here is the 3.0R. Last batch I had was 1.5R. It is a bit more dense and seemingly about the same weight. It has almost a purple color instead of the pink...

Good luck, hope you find something like I did! I tried the R-tek stuff first and ended up recycling the entire worthless sheet...Way way too crumbly...

Z

PS...My electronics got shipped to my old address by mistake. I am in the process of tracking down the new owners to have them ship it to me...I had the new address in the order form and when it went to Paypal, paypal used my old address and the shipment went to San Jose instead. This is my first time using Headsup RC and probably my last. They still have not called me back to resolve this matter and I ordered on April 13th....zzzz
Old 05-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Zim-uh-tosa

Probably my last post here for Nostalgia. My guess is that many people want to build ARF's and not work so hard to get a plane in the air. Me, I love working with this Foamular stuff. Sands like a dream and glues even dreamier..lol Here is a pic of the plane with paint ( I airbrushed the panels to look like an old warbird). I am running a Power 15 sized motor on this one instead of the Power 10... If you have any questions feel free to leave me a PM....

Z

Name:	Yv65970.jpg
Size:	513.7 KB
ID:	1610852