Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Rudder touch

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Rudder touch

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 10:46 AM
lucas-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder touch

I love 3D flying thats about all I do, with that said.
Its becoming monkey see monkey do. Chip Hyde walk around, then you see it all over, Nothing wrong with it it a hard move.
Thats how 3D started you see it you try it.
With 3D being new and there are a number of people at the feilds that just don,t like it for what ever reason, AMA looking at rule changes, because people are touching there rudders or having flying buddy touching it, then run and put it on your Web site for all to see. So the new guy can try it!!!!!!!!!
Whats is the opinion of the 3D flyers in ref to touching the plane?
Is it Safe?
Has anyone heard of injury caused by it?
If you were a CD at and event would you allow it?
Old 11-02-2003, 11:10 AM
TailTwister

Default RE: Rudder touch

See the Tail Touching Outlawed thread in this forum.

To touch the tail of a hovering aircraft is a rule violation and it is dangerous.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:00 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Touching the tail is dangerous and should only be attempted by those who can fully control the airplane to the highest degree. As far as AMA regulations go they should not dictate what a pilot does as long as the pilot puts nobody else in danger. However if you get hurt while grabbing your tail then AMA insurance cant be held accountable.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:14 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

I think the rudder touching in question is touching the rudder to the ground while hovering, not touching the rudder of the plane by the pilot..
Old 11-02-2003, 02:47 PM
southern_touch9

"because people are touching there rudders or having flying buddy touching it"

I pulled from having a flying buddy touching it that it is physically touching the rudder. If yout talking about touching on the ground then the danger level is really low when compared to combat or an inverted pass etc.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:42 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Sorry, I was talking about the rash of posts lately regarding the new AMA rule that forbids touching any part of the plane to the runway except the landing gear when taking off or landing. That is a silly rule. Touching the airplane while in flight...I can't really see that ever being allowed. I'm not sure lucas made the distinction between the two in his post..
Old 11-02-2003, 10:29 PM
lucas-RCU

What is the opinion of 3D pilots touching the plane?
I think it is very stupid to be touching a plane in flight. The 3D Sky Gods should lead by example.
This touching the Rudder all started with one person seeing someone doing it, Web sites are covered with pictures and video,s of it.
Touch the rudder on the ground OK all day long.
But to take your hand off the radio to touch a 40% or any RC aircraft is just plain nuts.
And AMA rule will not stop this, its up to the 3D Guys to spread the word that this is BS.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:54 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

unless you fly mode 1 and can be in complete control
Old 11-03-2003, 10:38 AM
southern_touch9

lucas,

I touch my plane while in flight. There is a lot of risk involved and I understand that but I am not going out and making other people try it. If a pilot wants to touch the plane in flight it should be his own choice. I think you would freak out if you watched some video of the flying cirkus guys laying down in the runway and hovering 1 ft. over the person laying down. Its risky and shouldnt be tried by 99% of the pilots out there. The ones that do it accept the risk involved and are not gonna go crying to AMA if something bad happens. My guideline is that I wont let anybody else catch my plane nor will I let them go out there and get really close to my plane while hovering. There are a few select pilots that let their friends go out and do this but this is their own business and they have an understanding of what will happen if an accident occurs.

My field is not an AMA field and there will forever be tail touching on the ground as well as the occasional tail grab involved. If you dont like it then dont fly there.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:40 AM
lucas-RCU

Im glad to hear your so concerned. When someone see this type of flying your sending a message to others that it is OK To do that.
Wheather your at your owen field our been invited to someother field, there are plenty of attorneys that would eat you alive when the accident does happen. They all talk smart before, but when your sitting at the hospital, or in the court room, things change.
Ill say it again 3D pilots need to lead by example. Touching a plane inflight is just plane stupid.

The only reason you touch your plane is because you saw someone else do it.

When a pilot wants to touch his own plane it should be his own choice. I have to disagree if its and endangerment to himself and others, and a liability to land owners common sense should take over.

I think 3D flying is great, but lets not teach stupidity
Old 11-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Ian.W

i think tail touching is only dangerous if 1) its unsuitble weather 2) you dont have a clue wat your doing. if you know how to do it you can do it at a distance i dont see why it cant be done 2 feet from you
Old 11-03-2003, 12:10 PM
Cactus.

the ones that moan as with any aspect of 3D right down to prophang its self are the ones that can't do it. if there was a guy in the AMA board that did this him self it would be fine.

i was out with a guy a while ago, i knew he was good but he'd only seen me fly that day, i was hanging as to put a heli to shame, so he said should i grab it, i said make sure i've got it. so he did, and grabbed it by the tail ( at this point i don't react or hes got a plane trying to do something else ) later in the day i did the same with his plane.
i wouldn't recommend it every day, but it's a attention grabber infront of people.
i don't do this stuff on the edge of my limits when anyone else is flying or near me, i prefer that the field is quiet and i even walk half way out onto the patch. hanging i'm happy with now, but TR's for now i'm far enough out so i can't cause a problem to myself or anyone in the pits behind.

bear in mind this is 36-40 sized stuff, i'm not talking 40% here, but if you wanna do that with one of those, you better have the skills to match.

personally i think the AMA treats you all like dumbwitts, which unfortunately is the image thanks to your sue sue culture that the US portrays right now, shame it's starting to filter over here now.
but seriously, if you went to catch your mates plane, slipped and took a finger off or worse, how can you sue him? your damn fault sue yourself for negligence.
warning hot coffee indeed.. morons
Old 11-03-2003, 12:19 PM
crcflyer22

I just want to throw this out there, I go out and touch my planes rudder all the time, I occasionally will grab it out of the air as well(very dangerous) but I am not doing it to be "in with the croud" or because I have seen it on the web, I do it to challange myseld and push my flying abalities to the next level, In my opinion I got into the hobby for the challenge and the thrill, I love the pucker factor, And as well I can't get an airplane into the air and not push the envalope. I fly at an outlaw field and will never fly this way at a ama field, I don't want to disrespect the newer piliots, by shaking their nervs to death with my plane screaming in a hover two feet off the deck and ten feet away. I just want to let people know there is some interesting in pushing thereselfs and are not doing it for the spectator!!!

chad
Old 11-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Luke 3D returns

the ones that moan as with any aspect of 3D right down to prophang its self are the ones that can't do it. if there was a guy in the AMA board that did this him self it would be fine.
kaching! you won the jackpot!
Old 11-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Sprink

Thats the good thing about my (and Luke's) club. When the General Secretary owns a Hype 3D and the Air Section Secretary owns a Global Freestyle, you know that you will probably be OK .
Old 11-03-2003, 01:02 PM
southern_touch9

Yep!! It all comes from the mouth of those who cant do it. There are very few of us that do this, we dont do it to fit in we do it b/c we enjoy a risk and challange. As far as the AMA goes at my field they can go buzz off (edited) b/c I am going to do what I want to do as long as I dont put anybody but myself at risk. If someone sees me do it and wants to try it then its their fault if they get hurt, not mine. I didnt go up to them, hold a gun to their head and force them to try it. This type of flying falls in the category of the X-games fashion type of 3D flight and its not for everybody. Personally, I would like to see more people push the envelope b/c there are far too many sunday pilots out there that call themselves 3D'ing and hovering when they are doing it 75' high for 5 sec. Thats NOT really hovering. A successful hover should be under full control at all times (placement, duration, and no slipping down the runway on accident) and the pilot should be the one that dictates when the plane comes out of the hover. I get tired of idiots telling me what I can and cant do to my own plane on my own flying field. Heres a message to all of those trying to say what we should and shouldnt do at our own fields.

Go learn to fly and stop b******g and moaning about it.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:05 PM
lucas-RCU

I have seen a TOC pilot put 2 40% planes while torkrolling 15 min apart. Now it had nothing to do with his skills, motor stop both times. There are two many factors that you cannot control to make touching plane OK No matter what you think your skill level is. Its like taking your pistol and shooting a cup off your mates head, sooner or later your going to miss.
ORIGINAL: phillybaby

i was out with a guy a while ago, i knew he was good but he'd only seen me fly that day, i was hanging as to put a heli to shame, so he said should i grab it, i said make sure i've got it. so he did, and grabbed it by the tail ( at this point i don't react or hes got a plane trying to do something else ) later in the day i did the same with his plane.
i wouldn't recommend it every day, but it's a attention grabber infront of people.
i don't do this stuff on the edge of my limits when anyone else is flying or near me, i prefer that the field is quiet and i even walk half way out onto the patch. hanging i'm happy with now, but TR's for now i'm far enough out so i can't cause a problem to myself or anyone in the pits behind.

bear in mind this is 36-40 sized stuff, i'm not talking 40% here, but if you wanna do that with one of those, you better have the skills to match.

personally i think the AMA treats you all like dumbwitts, which unfortunately is the image thanks to your sue sue culture that the US portrays right now, shame it's starting to filter over here now.
but seriously, if you went to catch your mates plane, slipped and took a finger off or worse, how can you sue him? your damn fault sue yourself for negligence.
warning hot coffee indeed.. morons
Old 11-03-2003, 01:36 PM
MarkNovack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And that is why you don't wear the cup on your head.

Actually, as far as I am aware, there is no law in existance concerning touching one's airplane. Sure, it may violate AMA regulations but that should not be confused with law.

As far as danger, it is daring. That is why we do 3D at five or ten feet instead of thirty or forty. That is why a loop bottoming out at a few inches is more fun to watch than a loop finishing at forty feet. I figure it like this. If you want to touch your rudder, touch away. If you lose a finger or get a prop strike to your head I will administer first aid like any good person would and help you to the hospital if I am there with you.

I have seen several people good enough to grab the airplane from the air and they do it with all of the accuracy and careful set-up worthy of a professional and I have never seen anything close to an accident. These were not good weekenders but pilots of exeptional, professional skill level with many years of experience AND THE JUDGEMENT that comes with those years of flying. When I saw them do it, it really had nothing to do with "taking a chance".

The bigger worry comes when a weekend hotdog more intent with showing off than showing skill that is LACKING THE JUDGEMENT tries something that he(or she) are not equiped to do. That is when things get dangerous. It is not much different from Indy racing. With a seasoned professional at the wheel it has margins of safety for something so dangerous. Now, take 30 soccer moms and put them behind the wheel at 200mph on the track...well, you probably get my point. That has everything to do with "taking a chance".

Judgement in this case refers to that ability that ONLY COMES WITH EXPERIENCE AND TIME that allows one to uncanilly look a few seconds into the future and make the correct call. It is very similar to how and why older, more experienced drivers, even those without lightening fast reflexes, tend to forsee and miss accidents that newer drivers get into regularly.

One more word about it. If you have to dart out to perform your trick then you really are not demonstrating skill but really are just taking a chance. Grabbing the airplane should be nothing but a completely controlled maneuvers where the airplane is in a rock steady hover and the hand reaches as it would for a handshake, quickly, BUT calmly and steadily.

And that's my take on the subject.

Regards,
Mark
Old 11-03-2003, 01:38 PM
RC Havoc
My Feedback: (-1)

I cant beieve this is an Issue, If you confident enough to do it, then do it, but if you get hurt, dont try to blame anyone else but yourself. If another pilot does it successfully and you try it and get hurt, why is that the other pilots fault?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:41 PM
lucas-RCU

Southern Touch
Thanks for your input. Go learn to fly, ill do what I want when I want. Go buzz off, lets see any other points I missed.

The only thing I see in 3D that is wrong is touching the plane in flight. Well maybe the person that thinks his skills are far beyond anyone else because he can fly 3D. How big is your head?

There is such a thing as class, a pilots impression on the public, can go alot further than behaving like asswhole.

I care about the future of 3D. The one thing we all have incommon in the threads, is that it is risky. one can get hurt,
It is Daring, the pucker factor, your skill level has to high to do it, it Dangerous.

It seems if you tell someone they can,t they do it all the more. Would it be presented better if one does touch a plane in flight it should be noted that this stunt is Dangerous should not be attemped by anyone unless you have a skilled person advising you.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:07 PM
adrian-RCU

no tail touching you must be joking
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66115.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	72119  
Old 11-03-2003, 03:01 PM
southern_touch9

You will have a PM in about 5 min. If you want to do some name calling save it for the PM and dont clutter the board with your ignorance.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:08 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

My my....
Old 11-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The point comes up about people trying to do things beyond their abilities and putting people at risk. While a valid point, this is true for every aspect of RC flying. People buy too much helicopter for their abilities, people bring out a heavy iron warbird before they are ready, people bring out their fire breathing pylon racer before they are ready, and the list goes on. There must be some acceptance of risk if we are going to have any fun at the field. If these restrictions continue, then AMA will be shutting down the very cause for its existance: the modelers.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:44 PM
southern_touch9

[sm=thumbup.gif] There ya go Ryan, you make a great point!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.