Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Rule #9 for '04

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Rule #9 for '04

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 11:01 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bla bla bla

A raised platform. Interesting

How about touching a transmitter box lying on the ground. Or a flight box. If you think outside of the box, there are lots of alternatives around it isn't there.

However, anyone can touch the tail. Its the really skilled pilots that can hover an inch above the ground, and never ever let it touch! Not only do you get to show off your Superior skills, it even meets the exact requirements of the rule.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:26 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

i've seen some trainers try to TR while landing

heres my poke at the rules, theres a pin on the elevator, and one balloon has already coped it, but it was just too damn windy on Saturday, i was hovering over it, not hanging.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80468.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	75313  
Old 11-17-2003, 07:55 AM
Desertrat
My Feedback: (2)

9) Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch a powered model in flight; nor should any part of the model other than the landing gear, intentionally touch the ground, except while landing.
Sorry... I read this as you can touch the landing gear any time. You can touch other parts of the airplane only when attempting a landing.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:57 AM
Jeff Pfeifer
My Feedback: (4)

So If the landing gear can only touch the ground during landing, then are touch and go's now illegal?
Old 11-17-2003, 12:02 PM
sfaust

Yes, they are legal. The term 'touch and go' is slang for doing two specific maneuvers back to back. The first manuever is the landing, followed by a short roll out, then a take off.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Cactus.

a landing is a end maneuver.
a touch and go isn't, and is also done at a higher speed putting the plane at more risk with the resulting crash breaking the rudder and as we all have learnt this will rip open spacetime as we know it and we'll all be sucked into a black hole.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:20 PM
aerolou
My Feedback: (3)

Default Rule #9 for '04

Then I suppose it would not be legal to land a Zagi or any aircraft the does not have landing gear.
Once you take off you are doomed to fly for eternity or until you crash, or will the crash soon become against the rules also.

I am also affraid the the rule virus will spread with rules being implemented just because someone wants to micro manage every aspect of everyones lives.

I am all for safety but get very irritated be the "RULES NAZI's".

Lou
Old 11-17-2003, 12:30 PM
Cactus.

Default RE: Rule #9 for '04

the crash soon become against the rules also.
nope, Dave Brown takes part in this aspect of the sport with trainers, therefore it will be left unregulated
Old 11-17-2003, 01:51 PM
SkyDude

I think this is more aimed at the 3D newbie. I have'nt 3d'd in real life, but I try it all the time on my RealFlight sim. At least a few times per flight I end up pulling out quickly and may fly over the pits to do so, sometimes burrying it.

I wouldn't try this in real life at a low altitude until I was very comfortable with it at higher altitude first. Problem is, a lot of people don't take this crawl, walk, run approach. They see their friends do it, then try it themselves and get themselves in over their head, so to speak. What happens after that is sometimes just as much chance as it is controlled flight, with potential havoc and injuries on the list of what could happen.

I'm not for making this illegal. I wish the AMA would make it a guideline, not a mandatory rule. I'd like to be able to do it someday, once I got the true skills.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:02 PM
T_Hill

ORIGINAL: Desertrat

9) Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch a powered model in flight; nor should any part of the model other than the landing gear, intentionally touch the ground, except while landing.
Sorry... I read this as you can touch the landing gear any time. You can touch other parts of the airplane only when attempting a landing.
Desertrat has the correct interpretation of the rule. The landing gear can touch anytime.

Tracy Hill
Old 11-17-2003, 02:05 PM
Cactus.

it's getting people to crawl thats the hard bit, i spent 6 months up high drifting downwind alone with no-one else in the club doing it till one day i brought it in low and cracked it. The others that are now getting there are now taking the advice from me and it's working. Cartmans almost cracked it, but not every exit is because he wants to. a couple others are still up high and happy to stay there for now where the plane is safe even tho i've said they are ready to come low.

no-one learns to fly solo first day, 3D is no diffrent.

it's taken me another year almost to slowly start TR whilst mainly improving my control of hang and tail touch, i've now brought it a bit lower that i can get one or two done ok on the Pheonix seeing as it's agility and strenght are so great. The Cougar stays up higher.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:10 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: SkyDude

Problem is, a lot of people don't take this crawl, walk, run approach. They see their friends do it, then try it themselves and get themselves in over their head, so to speak.
I dont ever see that with someone starting to 3D.
Most people I see stay way high till they are comfortable and then still stay too high even after they have their thumbs trained.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:31 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Technically, the bottom of the Zagi IS the landing gear so you'll be perfectly legal
Old 11-17-2003, 04:35 PM
sfaust

ORIGINAL: phillybaby

a landing is a end maneuver.
a touch and go isn't, and is also done at a higher speed putting the plane at more risk with the resulting crash breaking the rudder and as we all have learnt this will rip open spacetime as we know it and we'll all be sucked into a black hole.

I guess its all how you define it. Typically in full scale aviation, a touch and go is a normal landing maneuver followed by a normal take off maneuver, all performed at normal operating speeds. If you are a IAC or IMAC pilot, the 'touch and go' isn't even a valid maneuver. If you are a scale pilot, a 'touch and go' can be scored at two separate maneuvers being a landing followed by a take off, or as a single maneuver that involves both the landing and take off.

We are just starting to nitpick here. We all know what the spirit of the rule is. Nitpicking is neither productive, or an activity I feel inclined to participate in. So for thoset so inclined, nitpick away For those not, send an e-mail to the AMA and have then define landings, touch and gos, airplanes without landing gear, and so on.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:01 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!! HOW ABOUT THAT!!!! In my early learning years my "spinner first landings" would be against the law[quote][/quote9) Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch a powered model in flight; nor should any part of the model other than the landing gear, intentionally touch the ground, except while landing.
]

Sorry folks-- just could not pass that one by-- and yes-- I have made "spinner landings"
Old 11-18-2003, 10:34 AM
Rocketman_

The_Matrix,

Had the sensible words in your post been read and absorbed thoroughly it would have caused this forum to immediately shutdown or at least have elevated it to a mature discussion.

But as you can see it will go on and on with folks giving nonsensical examples and analogies to illustrate their points. I do believe that some contributors to this forum have serious concerns while others are just playing and using it as an opportunity to tell us what great fliers they are.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:27 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I thought we were here to have fun
Old 11-18-2003, 09:07 PM
The_Matrix

RocketMan,

Thank You. It is simply not the end of the world, or 3D flying, due to the fact that you cannot bump your rudder on the ground during a hover. A many of good pilots here have made alot of good suggestions as to ways to still enjoy hovering and comply with rule#9, as well as others simply wanting to keep whining because you cannot tail touch. I will end my thoughts on this subject by simply referring back to my first post in this thread, and also by adding another alternate suggestion as others have made. You want to prove you can hover precisely? Want to make a fun competition out of it? Well, here is an idea I have, and sure someone else has probably thought of as well.

1.) Stick one end of (2) 4 foot long poles into the ground.( made from wood dowels, pvc pipe, re-bar, ect.)
2.) Take a piece of sewing thread, yarn, string ect. , coat it with line chalk. ( used for chalk-line boxes)
3.) Tie the string at the top from one pole to the other, aproximately 4 feet above the ground.

Now, hover over you line, and bring your plane low enough to touch the chalk thread with your rudder, but without breaking the thread. If you can do this, your a much better pilot than one that bumps the ground with the rudder, plu your 4 feet above the ground aproximately, so well within rul9 guidlines. And if someone argues you did not touch the line, land and see, you will have a chalk mark on your rudder if you touched the line. You can get the cahlk in high visible colors such as purple, dark blue, bright green, and red at most hardware stores, Lowes, Home depot, Wal-Mart. Now, whom skill is greater? Touching the line without breaking it, or bumping the rudder in the dirt?
Old 11-19-2003, 06:18 AM
Cactus.

and then we can do prophang limbo too
Old 11-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Staudacher

Only the tip of the rudder touches the ground so why not just put a 1/2" or smaller wheel on the rudder tip? What constitutes "landing gear"?

Dan
[link=http://www.happyhangar.com]Happy Hangar[/link]
Old 11-19-2003, 03:18 PM
sfaust

Because of the way the rule was written;

Old 11-19-2003, 03:22 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Your spinner-first landings were perfectly legal because there were not intentional...