Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Obsession 3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Goldberg Obsession 3D

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 09:11 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Obsession 3D

That would be perfect for an OS 1.60FX or even better a Moki 1.80 or 2.10. But it would be 13+ lbs with the Moki, only 12+ lbs with the OS.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:42 PM
dbrford
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hearing how the weight turned out with a Saito 150 worries me, makes me wonder how far off my cheap digital scale is, might have to invest in a better one. What does the Saito weigh as compared to the 1.60 w/ pipe? My 1.60 and OMP pipe weighs 40oz's with my cheap scale. I still think at 12.5lbs it should fly well, just hope to have enough power to 3d, time will tell...
Old 03-26-2005, 06:54 PM
JoeAirPort

That's kind of a big plane for a Saito 150 to 3D.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:35 AM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

at 12.5 and saito 150 , you might be borderline power lacking.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:55 AM
JoeAirPort

A Mark 2.10 (aka Moki) at Morris Hobbies is $250. That would be the perfect engine for this plane. It's still a glow plane at 78 inches, 84 inches and up are gassers.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:17 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

What about a YS-140? Is there a lot of difference in power between the Sport and "L"? Obviously a DZ would be nice but $650 is a little steep.

Craig
Old 04-03-2005, 04:21 PM
drumbum

I have the L . thats what im thinking
Old 04-04-2005, 07:28 AM
driveone2

Saw the Obsession at Toledo this weekend at the Goldberg booth...awsome plane
Old 04-08-2005, 02:33 PM
dbrford

Weight came out at 12.6 Oz's, this is a bit heavier than I was hoping for. I had originally thought I could keep this below 12 lbs but changed servos, engine mount and added an APC 18x6 prop which I think accounts for at least 6 to 7 additional oz's. Here is the spec ready to fly-

OS 1.60 w/ vp30 pump
APC 18x6W
H9 Aluminum engine mount
3 5925MG servos (Rudder and Elevators)
2 5625MG servos Ailerons
1 81MG servo for throttle
1 6 volt battery 2100 MA
CG was easy to obtain by putting battery right behind full tank.

Everything else on the airplane is out of the box. For the most putting it all together was straight forward. One issue I did run into was when removing the blind nuts on the firewall you have to be real careful as there is a form directly behind the two uppermost nuts. I did not think to look at the back of the firewall prior to removing the nuts and broke this former into a few different pieces. Other than that very easy and straightforward build.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:57 PM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

Ok, I picked one up too! Looks like they did a good job of building a light airframe-- any maybe replacing the aluminum tubes with carbon-fiber would shave off some weight.

I am also thinking OS 1.60 but I am curious how you mounted yours and what type of muffler you are using. It looks like the pitts-style (Brison) will fit (just barely) inside the width of the firewall but that leaves the cylinder-head poking-out over 1.5 inches! I was considering also mounting the engine inverted, cutting the two exhaust pipes shorter and then using some flex-tubing to route the exhaust out the bottom of the cowl.

Not sure what servos I'll be using but probably some 5945's on all control-surfaces.

Oh, and for those of you that have not seen this thing... it is HUGE! The long tail-moment and big rudder really make it a large plane.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:15 PM
dbrford

I mounted my OS 1.60 inverted using an OMP sport pipe, looks a little odd as the pipe is 23 inches long and sits above the wing. I like the look but am sure I will get a few comments at the field. I believe you can buy a pitts stye muffler for inverted setup's, maybe someone will speak up and let you know where.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:20 PM
TooLy

ORIGINAL: RobertC

Ok, I picked one up too! Looks like they did a good job of building a light airframe-- any maybe replacing the aluminum tubes with carbon-fiber would shave off some weight.

I am also thinking OS 1.60 but I am curious how you mounted yours and what type of muffler you are using. It looks like the pitts-style (Brison) will fit (just barely) inside the width of the firewall but that leaves the cylinder-head poking-out over 1.5 inches! I was considering also mounting the engine inverted, cutting the two exhaust pipes shorter and then using some flex-tubing to route the exhaust out the bottom of the cowl.

Not sure what servos I'll be using but probably some 5945's on all control-surfaces.

Oh, and for those of you that have not seen this thing... it is HUGE! The long tail-moment and big rudder really make it a large plane.
Maybe this will work for you

http://slimlineproducts.com/online_s...rted_pitts.htm
Old 04-12-2005, 11:00 PM
dbrford

Flight update- This is definitely one of the better flying airplanes I have owned, it is extremely stable and very forgiving. First flight required one click of right aileron and quite a bit of down elevator. When I got home I added a washer under each mount to give me a little downthrust, this took care of the problem and it required only two clicks of up elevator to trim. Not sure I can really give a good review as I only flew in circles for the most part, I did hover for a bit and it was very easy, one of the easier planes I have done this with. It does not have any snap tendencies at all, I can give it full elevator on any rate an thing just goes straight up. Stall is easy, does not really drop a wing, the whole airplane just falls straight down. Knife edge is good, pulls a bit to the canopy but nothing drastic. Inverted only required a bit of up elevator. I did have a dead stick on a flight today, this thing floats, I almost overshot the field as I expected it to bleed off altitude a lot quicker.

I think this one is definitely a keeper.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:58 AM
drumbum

great to hear.. How did the 160 do in vertical pulls? does it seem to have more than enough power.. did you try hovering it? if so how was the pullout?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:24 PM
dbrford

ORIGINAL: drumbum

great to hear.. How did the 160 do in vertical pulls? does it seem to have more than enough power.. did you try hovering it? if so how was the pullout?
The OS 1.60 did real well, unlimited, I don't even have a gallon through it and it had plenty of power, I am also at 4300 feet elevation so at lower elevations I think it would be ballistic. It hovered fine and had plenty of engine left to pull out, can't really say it was half throttle or 3/4 quarter throttle as I trim my throttle curve with expo to suit how I like it to feel. I am waiting on a 20x6 Zinger Pro prop, I found myself not using much more than half throttle as this airplane seems to be in it's groove at low speeds. I think the 20x6 will allow for a slower airspeed but additional thrust to play with. I remember seeing somewhere that an OS 1.60 will spin around 7900 with this prop and provide around 21 lbs of thrust. I might get a few more rpms out of it with the OMP pipe I am using, I only worry about throttle response, should have the prop next week.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:45 PM
drumbum

just one more question.. What prop were you using on previous flights? also I have a YS-140L it is the more powerfull of the YS 140 series under the DZ . would you think that motor would be a good choice for this plane? I know it was way too much for my Funtana 90 at 10lbs 2oz...
Old 04-13-2005, 11:12 PM
dbrford

I tried an 18x6 APC and a 18x6 Zinger Pro. I like the Zinger better as it allows for better breaking, the APC did not seem to slow down for me. I think the YS would be a good choice plus I think it weighs a bit less than the OS, should work well.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:52 AM
drumbum

thanks .. i better order while i can still get $40 off on tower
Old 04-24-2005, 07:57 AM
tIANci

Just a question ... I know its a long shot but I got a TT120 2C sitting around doing nothing, it will turn a 16x6 @ 9,500 RPM ... can this fly the Obsession for IMAC/pattern? I only want nice uplines and not unlimited verticals. Thanks guys!!!
Old 04-24-2005, 02:49 PM
hilson87
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently finished building my obsession 3d. I used all hitec servos, two 635 hb on elevator, two 635 hb on ailerons, one 945 mg on rudder, and one 425 bb on throttle. I chose a YS 140 L for power and am very pleased with it. I have not been able to get in a test flight yet do to the recent 30 mph winds that have been hanging around for the past 3 days. If i would have had enough money to buy all servos engine and acc. at the time of the purchase of the plane it could have been easily assembled in less than 3 or four days. It looks amazing and i am very excited to get her in the air.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85719.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	262409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59355.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	262410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74275.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	262411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58314.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	262412  
Old 04-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Very nice looking bird. What is your weight ready to fly less fuel? Please post some more info after you maiden her. I'm interested in what you have to say. Also, is the YS140 enough engine to hover, fly straight up unlimited, flatspin etc. Please let us know.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 04-24-2005, 08:56 PM
drumbum

well I still havent bought mine yet [&o] but its next on my list.. work is a little slow right now and my YS 110 just came in that i had on backorder and it sort of blew my chances for a little while of getting this plane. but not in a bad way. it flies my UCD killer..

HILSON- let me know how it does with the L because that is what i will be putting in mine..
Old 04-24-2005, 11:54 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pics Hilson! It sure does look pretty.

Lee im with you, there is one at my LHS but I have 2 more purchases until I am able to get it. I do have a YS 140 that needs a home sooner or later

I am really curious to hear how the YS works works out with this airplane. Keep us posted

matt
Old 05-07-2005, 06:58 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I finished up my Obsession yesterday and put the first two flights on her today. My first impressions were very postive and I will elaborate in just a moment.

First I want to say that this is a first rate kit and assembled very smoothly (notwithstanding a few minor issues with the hardware). I built the plane as close to "stock" as I could, installed a used but good running YS 1.40 DZ and went with a 1700 Mah 4 cell battery. Came out right at 11 1/2 pounds. I was a little concerned when the instruction manual said "Your model should balance at 9-3/8" at the fuselage side to start". 9 3/8 inches from where? The wing is 20" long (cord) at the fuselage and even with a tapered leading edge this seemed too far back. I called "tech support" at Goldberg (Lanier) and the kid said it was 9 3/8" from the leading edge which would put it "right on the wing tube". Actually it put it 3" behind the wing tube, which I told the kid and he said "close enough". I went ahead a put the battery right behind the firewall and settled for a CG 8 3/8" back.

Out to the flying field today. Got the DZ to tach 8000 running a little rich with an 18 X 6 wood prop. With this weight and engine/prop combination this plane has unlimited vertical and powers easily out of a hover. I believe a "Sport" YS 1.40 would be very adequate. At low rates the plane is a very smooth pattern type flyer with exceptional rudder control...very little rudder to hold knife edge (pulls a little to the canopy) and the first time I tried a slow speed knife edge, the next thing I knew it had rotated to vertical. I believe you could do some nice knife edge loops. At high rates I tried a little hovering, harriers, snaps and waterfalls. I'm not an expert at this stuff but I could tell the limiting factor was definately me and not the plane. I suppose with a further aft CG it would do even better. The plane naturally floats a little on landing but showed no tendency to drop a wing or bounce.

Bottom line, this plane just has a good feel to it. I came from the pattern world and I just like a lightly loaded wing with a little bit longer moments than your typical 3-D. I'm looking forward to exploring the envelope in future flights.

Craig
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26628.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	268362  
Old 05-07-2005, 10:57 PM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

Nice report, Craig! Plane looks nice. Glad to hear that you like the way the plane flys. Could you elaborate a bit on your setup (type of servos, what type of fuel, etc.)?

I am thinking of an OS 1.60FX (I have one on a CGP Sukhoi ARF that I just got the 4th flight in on today and it has crazy vertical-- even just breaking-in!). Any idea how that would compare to your DZ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.