Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Obsession 3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Goldberg Obsession 3D

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 05:57 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Obsession 3D

ORIGINAL: RobertC

Nice report, Craig! Plane looks nice. Glad to hear that you like the way the plane flys. Could you elaborate a bit on your setup (type of servos, what type of fuel, etc.)?

I am thinking of an OS 1.60FX (I have one on a CGP Sukhoi ARF that I just got the 4th flight in on today and it has crazy vertical-- even just breaking-in!). Any idea how that would compare to your DZ?
Robert,

I used JR 8231's on elevator and 4721's on ailerons and rudder. You have the option of using 2 servos on rudder but I just used one. Throttle is a JR 9011 mid-size. I used Du Bro 1 1/4" servo arms and set the "low" travel to 1" on the elev and 1/2" on the ailerons and whatever I could get with 150% ATV on high rate. Elevator is fine on low but the roll was a little slow...I'll probably bump it up to 1 1/2". I just leave the rudder in high rate and run 30% expo.

I used Magnum 30% Heli Plus for fuel. This is my first DZ and I have not owned an OS 1.60 but if it is anywhere near the power of the YS you should be fine.

Good Luck,

Craig
Old 05-08-2005, 11:15 AM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: CraigG

Well, I finished up my Obsession yesterday and put the first two flights on her today. My first impressions were very postive and I will elaborate in just a moment.

First I want to say that this is a first rate kit and assembled very smoothly (notwithstanding a few minor issues with the hardware). I built the plane as close to "stock" as I could, installed a used but good running YS 1.40 DZ and went with a 1700 Mah 4 cell battery. Came out right at 11 1/2 pounds. I was a little concerned when the instruction manual said "Your model should balance at 9-3/8" at the fuselage side to start". 9 3/8 inches from where? The wing is 20" long (cord) at the fuselage and even with a tapered leading edge this seemed too far back. I called "tech support" at Goldberg (Lanier) and the kid said it was 9 3/8" from the leading edge which would put it "right on the wing tube". Actually it put it 3" behind the wing tube, which I told the kid and he said "close enough". I went ahead a put the battery right behind the firewall and settled for a CG 8 3/8" back.

Out to the flying field today. Got the DZ to tach 8000 running a little rich with an 18 X 6 wood prop. With this weight and engine/prop combination this plane has unlimited vertical and powers easily out of a hover. I believe a "Sport" YS 1.40 would be very adequate. At low rates the plane is a very smooth pattern type flyer with exceptional rudder control...very little rudder to hold knife edge (pulls a little to the canopy) and the first time I tried a slow speed knife edge, the next thing I knew it had rotated to vertical. I believe you could do some nice knife edge loops. At high rates I tried a little hovering, harriers, snaps and waterfalls. I'm not an expert at this stuff but I could tell the limiting factor was definately me and not the plane. I suppose with a further aft CG it would do even better. The plane naturally floats a little on landing but showed no tendency to drop a wing or bounce.

Bottom line, this plane just has a good feel to it. I came from the pattern world and I just like a lightly loaded wing with a little bit longer moments than your typical 3-D. I'm looking forward to exploring the envelope in future flights.

Craig
Great to hear! looks like i will have to get it now,,(just have to get cash) I have the 140 just need plane
Old 05-08-2005, 11:56 AM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

Thanks Craig. I noticed in the instructions that they "suggest" using two servos for rudder (and it is a BIG rudder), but I also thought that one beefy digital should do just fine.

As for the 1.60, I am worried that it will be too much power. I am getting around 8400 on an APC 18x6W (running rich still; just breaking-in; looks like others are getting around 9K after a reasonable break-in). I have a YS-91 on my UCD and really like the engines-- it's just that the 140's are so pricey! So, drumbum, send me yours if you have no use for it!
Old 05-08-2005, 07:46 PM
drumbum

160 should be fine. will have plenty reserve,,i think i will hang on to my motor
Old 05-27-2005, 09:42 PM
hilson87
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for the past couple weeks i have been carefully flying this new big bird and i just wanted to put my 2 cents in about the performance. At first when i purchased the Y.S 140 L i though it would be more than enough to toss the plane around through all 3d maneuvers with ease but that was not the case. The Y.S 140 L does give the Obsession unlimited vertical i will say that, but it lacks the on demand pull out power needed for high risk hovering. Although the 140 L would be absolutely fine for you average beginner 3D pilot, it just doesn't have quite enough power to give serious 3D pilots instant on demand all out power. While hovering you want to have a safety blanket of instant power at your thumbs when at low altitudes, the 140 L doesnt have that instant pull out power. But the 140 L does provide the obsession with almost no limits to any of the 3d maneuvers such as rolling harriers, knife edge flight, flat spins etc. I am currently installing the Y.S 160 DZ to see how much of a difference in pull out power it makes, hoping for some outstanding result's. In my best opinion the 140 L is a great engine and I'm sure a lot of people are happy with the power it provides, but for those who want unbelievable no limit all around 3d flying the Y.S 140 L is not going to be enough.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:13 PM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: hilson87

Well for the past couple weeks i have been carefully flying this new big bird and i just wanted to put my 2 cents in about the performance. At first when i purchased the Y.S 140 L i though it would be more than enough to toss the plane around through all 3d maneuvers with ease but that was not the case. The Y.S 140 L does give the Obsession unlimited vertical i will say that, but it lacks the on demand pull out power needed for high risk hovering. Although the 140 L would be absolutely fine for you average beginner 3D pilot, it just doesn't have quite enough power to give serious 3D pilots instant on demand all out power. While hovering you want to have a safety blanket of instant power at your thumbs when at low altitudes, the 140 L doesnt have that instant pull out power. But the 140 L does provide the obsession with almost no limits to any of the 3d maneuvers such as rolling harriers, knife edge flight, flat spins etc. I am currently installing the Y.S 160 DZ to see how much of a difference in pull out power it makes, hoping for some outstanding result's. In my best opinion the 140 L is a great engine and I'm sure a lot of people are happy with the power it provides, but for those who want unbelievable no limit all around 3d flying the Y.S 140 L is not going to be enough.
Just out of curiosity, what is the all up dry weight of your Obsession? Also, do you feel you are getting max performance out of your 1.40L? I only ask this because my 1.40 DZ powered Obsession (11 1/2 lbs) seems to have more than enough power for the kind of response you are describing. I would not have thought the L would be that much less.

Craig
Old 05-29-2005, 01:36 PM
hilson87
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My obsession weighs in at 12 lbs on the dot. the 140 L and the 140 DZ put out the same power but the 140 DZ is just the newer design that gives you better fuel delivery. My 140 L has about 4 or 5 gallons on it and i am positive that i am getting all the power i can out of it. When hovering the engine does provide adequate power to pull out, but not enough in my opinion. Some people at the field say it has unmatched power but i think it still could use more. I see the TOC planes hovering and at the snap of a finger are climbing like a rocket. That is what i am looking for. Besides the 160 DZ is only like 10 more grams and puts out much more power. It never hurts to have more power than you need.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:35 PM
CraigG

ORIGINAL: hilson87

Besides the 160 DZ is only like 10 more grams and puts out much more power. It never hurts to have more power than you need.
Give us a report after you fly with the 160 DZ...should be awesome.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:13 PM
thedak
My Feedback: (21)

For everyone who owns this plane. Would you recommend it and is a OS 1.6 FX a good engine for this model. Thanks Matt
Old 06-10-2005, 07:47 PM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

The O.S.160 is great mine has the stock muffler with a perry vp-30 pump swinging an 18X6W apc and it will climb out of site! Weight is 12 pounds 2 ounces (dry). I am very impessed with it's performance!
Old 06-20-2005, 09:26 PM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

I may catch a lot of grief for this......but........ what about power from a Ryobi 31cc gasser? Swings an 18x8 prop at around 6800 rpm. Not looking for 3D flying, just aerobatic/sport flying. Figure an additional 1.5lbs over the 1.60 OS.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:51 PM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

It will probobly be fine with that motor. Drop the pitch on the prop back to a 6 and watch your speed with the plane. It has some huge surfaces you don't want any flutter problems!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:23 PM
I_Fly_Coolers

I may have found a more suitable plane..... especially on sale at $250!! Cap 232 here: http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Products...aft/eaa232.htm
Old 06-22-2005, 06:40 PM
I_Fly_Coolers

Actually.. looks like the Cap is NOT a good idea. Less wing area, tapered wings...maybe not. I am back to considering this plane. Any more flight reports?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:02 PM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Any more flight reports, its been a month since last post? This plane looks like it has all the design characteristics I want, a pattern style fuse,double tapered wing,good size and 3-D capable. Most other 3-D ers are semi-scale and lack lift in knife edge flight. Also I believe longer tail moments help hovering. Is anyone using Moki 1.8/2.10 in this plane? I have the 1.35 and cut the fuel with methanol, cuts down on the oil % and the cost too, about $6-$8 gal. Have been running with this mixture since last fall, hundreds of flights and no engine problems.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:25 PM
drumbum

I have flown it with a OS 160 FX pumped/W bisson pitts, 11lbs 6 oz flies great. the MOKI 180 would be perfect.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:50 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

How does it handle high alpha 3-D? Especially interested in harriers & knife edge harriers,elevators. Its hard to find a plane that does everything without adjusting something. Also, do you think a 50cc gas engine would fit?
Old 07-22-2005, 04:10 PM
drumbum

I only maidened the plane for the guy.. i never tried any high A stuff since it wasnt my plane I did hover it and do some pattern stuff and a few rolling harriers but that was it.. for a 50cc you would probably have to chuck the cowl if you could even get the motor to fit,
Old 07-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Stripe 1
My Feedback: (26)

I have one and you would have to pry it from my cold dead fingers to get it.By far the greatest airplane I have ever flown.Flies pattern and 3D,if you can do it it will.
Great building,fabulous covering job,kit very complete,nice hardwear.
Lands like a butterfly with sore feet.Put it together like the manual states and you will have no problems.I have a saito 1.80 on mine and it has all the power you need to do anything you want.
Balanced mine where the manual said,had to put two ozs.lead on the tail.
If I could have only one airplane this would be it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:32 PM
thedak
My Feedback: (21)

Neal,

Then why are you selling it?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:09 PM
3DFix
My Feedback: (29)

has anyone used an evolution .26 gas engine with the obsession 3d
Old 11-08-2005, 06:48 PM
tewalker01
My Feedback: (5)

Craig,

You indicate that you built the plane as close to "stock" as possible. I assume that this means that you used the engine mount that came with the kit. Have you had any vibration problems using the kit mount with your YS 1.40 DZ?

Thanks for your time,

Terry

ORIGINAL: CraigG

Well, I finished up my Obsession yesterday and put the first two flights on her today. My first impressions were very postive and I will elaborate in just a moment.

First I want to say that this is a first rate kit and assembled very smoothly (notwithstanding a few minor issues with the hardware). I built the plane as close to "stock" as I could, installed a used but good running YS 1.40 DZ and went with a 1700 Mah 4 cell battery. Came out right at 11 1/2 pounds. I was a little concerned when the instruction manual said "Your model should balance at 9-3/8" at the fuselage side to start". 9 3/8 inches from where? The wing is 20" long (cord) at the fuselage and even with a tapered leading edge this seemed too far back. I called "tech support" at Goldberg (Lanier) and the kid said it was 9 3/8" from the leading edge which would put it "right on the wing tube". Actually it put it 3" behind the wing tube, which I told the kid and he said "close enough". I went ahead a put the battery right behind the firewall and settled for a CG 8 3/8" back.

Out to the flying field today. Got the DZ to tach 8000 running a little rich with an 18 X 6 wood prop. With this weight and engine/prop combination this plane has unlimited vertical and powers easily out of a hover. I believe a "Sport" YS 1.40 would be very adequate. At low rates the plane is a very smooth pattern type flyer with exceptional rudder control...very little rudder to hold knife edge (pulls a little to the canopy) and the first time I tried a slow speed knife edge, the next thing I knew it had rotated to vertical. I believe you could do some nice knife edge loops. At high rates I tried a little hovering, harriers, snaps and waterfalls. I'm not an expert at this stuff but I could tell the limiting factor was definately me and not the plane. I suppose with a further aft CG it would do even better. The plane naturally floats a little on landing but showed no tendency to drop a wing or bounce.

Bottom line, this plane just has a good feel to it. I came from the pattern world and I just like a lightly loaded wing with a little bit longer moments than your typical 3-D. I'm looking forward to exploring the envelope in future flights.

Craig
Old 01-29-2006, 12:59 AM
AirPatrol

there hasn't been many posts lately in this thread. I dont really wanna invest 300 dollars for an os160. what about a SuperTigre G-2300 Ringed . i am at about 100 feet above sea level. here are the specs:

Bore: 32.5mm (1.280")
Stroke: 28mm (1.102")
Displacement: 1.410 cu. in. (23.11cc)
Weight with muffler: 38.0oz (1077g)
Weight without muffler: 31.0oz (897g)
RPM Range: 2,000-12,600 rpm
Horsepower Rating: 3.7 BHP at 12,600 RPM
Width between centers of mounting holes: 60mm (2.36")
Length between centers of mounting holes: 25mm (.98")
Width of crankcase excluding mounting flanges: 49mm (1.93")
Length from backplate to front of drive washer: 117.5mm (4.63")
Height from bottom of crankcase to top of head: 117.5mm (4.63")
Crankshaft size: 5/16-24 (6/14/99 JL)
Suggested prop size: 18x8, 18x10
Old 01-29-2006, 01:53 AM
3DFix
My Feedback: (29)

I had a YS 140 in my Obsession and it was way under powered. It could barely pull out of a hover. I am a big YS fan but that engine is not enough for this plane. I ended up with a OS 1.60 (Slimline Inverted Pitts Muffler and a Perry pump) and now I have unlimited vertical. FYI APC 18X6 prop.

Good Luck
Old 02-11-2006, 01:45 AM
slow_isp

I just bought one today from Tower. I should have it running next weekend, gona put a os 160fx in. all parts and plane ordered today.. cant wait, seems like a great second plane or first im gona take the chance and hope it fly's as good as there other planes. i'll take a few videos and post somtime next week.[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.