Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D Begginer

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3D Begginer

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 04:47 PM
joesabido

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3D Begginer

What's the best way to get into 3D flying?

Common sense tells me that i should get a "small" (40 size maybe) 3D airplane, set it up with low control throws and increase them as i move on

If you fly 3D... how did you start?

I have a T-34 Mentor and a Intruder-90 (both World Models) and i can handle 3D on the sim pretty well (AeroFly Pro Deluxe)

Thanks
Old 05-15-2005, 05:34 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D Begginer

in a 40 size plane, the UcanDo or harrier 40 would be great.. if you have a little of time to wait the harrier 40 will be released soon..it will do more than the ucando and is a very forgiving plane.. it is an exact copy of the 90 size plane. look on horizon hobbys site for it..here http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=SEA3025 if you absolutely cant stand the wait the u-can-do is still a good choice to learn.. If you dont mind the looks of profile planes there are many of them that will serve the purpose too. but someone else will have to make that recomendation since im not a profile fan
Old 05-15-2005, 07:32 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

That new 40 harrier should be good--am I the only one who does not like the see thru covering --- especially on both sides and in a light color. How about the 40 Maham?

I know the Accel 40 Katana is a very good profile.

Make sure you crank up your sim speed or the weight of your plane as you get better in AFP---this is a great way to wire your brain.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:31 AM
Spacey

Yeah a profile is a fun choice since they are easy and quick to build. Very tough and can do it all without hesitation. Beware though that not all profiles are as capable as I mentioned above. But the Ohio Model Products 47" Edge 540 is a great learning tool for 3D in the "cheap" apartment. The Accel Katana ARF mentioned is also a great plane. Really any of the OMP profiles will be able to serve you very well in your quest to learn LOL. Only problem is that the 47" Edge and Yak ARFs have unfortunately not arrived just yet. OMP usually has plenty of kits though so you can check with them. They have a support forum in the profile forum.

Unfortunately I only 3D profiles so I can't suggest any full body planes out there today. I would not recommend the Funtana S40 unless you have ALOT of stickskills. I found it very hard to learn 3D on and eventually gave up on it and got a profile. Other planes like the Phoenix models Future is also a very nice choice. They will 3D but not as easy as any of my planes. But yes they will 3D with a little more work involved...fun to fly planes as well.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:54 AM
joesabido

Thanks for the replies

I think i might go for a profile, but i've seen profiles fly and i feel that they fly in a more "violent" way, maybe it's just my imagination [&:] but it looks to me that full-body planes fly smoother, am i wrong with this?

I'm not really in a hurry, as a mather of fact i want to keep practicing on the sim for a couple of months and "crank up the sim speed" as GPSpacewalker kindly sugested, i won't be able to buy the Harrier 3D soon anyway, we have delays in airplanes availability here in Mexico []

So maybe i'll buy it in July or August

Wish me luck with my first "real" 3D attempts!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Spaceclam

i think it's more the pilots that make planes fly violently.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Bolio

Thats completely correct, isn't the plane but the pilot.
I fly profile and you can setup the plane to fly very tame or raelly violent, at the begining (two years ago) my thinking is that the surfaces had to move a lot to do 3D. Now this has changed, for soma manuvres I use low rates and high for others.

Hey joesabido, I fly here at Merida and be more than glad to give you a hand if you want to try 3D.
Just go to the field in 42 street and you will see some 3D. Not at the top level but fun anyway.
Hope to help you.
Saludos.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:10 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I started with a SPAD3D. It's not a good looking plane at all. But it's cheap (built one for $15.00). It only does a few thing well. So it has it's limitations. What it does do well is teach you to fly on the prop(not the wing) and teach you good rudder control.

David
Old 07-05-2005, 10:14 AM
daveopam

Here is a pic of my first one. I built it in about 4 hours. After the first one I could build three a day now.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96223.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	293874  
Old 07-05-2005, 11:06 AM
joesabido

ORIGINAL: Bolio
Hey joesabido, I fly here at Merida and be more than glad to give you a hand if you want to try 3D.
Just go to the field in 42 street and you will see some 3D. Not at the top level but fun anyway.
Hope to help you.
Saludos.
Hey Pepe! Glad to read from a "vecino"

I've heard about that field but haven't had the chance to go there, i usually fly behind Liverpool since it's a lot closer to my home and well.. it's like it is nobody's land

I'll pay a visit as soon as i get my 3D plane or at least something not so aerobatic but fun to fly like a Sukhoi SU-31 or something like that.

ORIGINAL: daveopam
I started with a SPAD3D. It's not a good looking plane at all. But it's cheap (built one for $15.00). It only does a few thing well. So it has it's limitations. What it does do well is teach you to fly on the prop(not the wing) and teach you good rudder control.

David
David, that's some agressive looking SPAD i'll look for coroplast dealers here in Merida and see if i can work something out, would you mind taking more close-up pictures of the engine mount, servo mounts, etc? That would be neat

Cheers
Old 07-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Bolio

ORIGINAL: joesabido

ORIGINAL: Bolio
Hope to help you.
Saludos.
Hey Pepe! Glad to read from a "vecino"

I've heard about that field but haven't had the chance to go there, i usually fly behind Liverpool since it's a lot closer to my home and well.. it's like it is nobody's land

I'll pay a visit as soon as i get my 3D plane or at least something not so aerobatic but fun to fly like a Sukhoi SU-31 or something like that.

ORIGINAL: daveopam

David
David, that's some agressive looking SPAD i'll look for coroplast dealers here in Merida and see if i can work something out, would you mind taking more close-up pictures of the engine mount, servo mounts, etc? That would be neat

Cheers

Hey my brother knows a place here where you can find the coroplast. Let me ask him and I will tell you.
You are welcomed to fly at our filed any time. Don't need a special plane and all are very friendly
Old 07-05-2005, 05:57 PM
joesabido

Thanks Pepe, i'll see you on Sunday morning then

I've never made a take-off or landing on pavement, so i guess it's gonna be an interesting experience, please PM your cell phone # so i can give you a call when i get there

By the way i just got home from the "field", i went to practice some crosswind landings... i HATE them but i have to get used to them [&:]

See you later!
Old 07-05-2005, 06:15 PM
joesabido

Pepe i received your PM, i'll give you a call

Thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 06:36 PM
daveopam

I can take some pics of the busted mount as that pic is two years old. I have also used the servos on another project.Go to SPADtothebone.com
and you can download the plans and instructions for free. They have several planes on there. That one is called Spad3D.

David
Old 07-16-2005, 06:55 PM
RCFlyer521

Would someone please tell me if you cg the Extreme 330 Profile right side up or down. Please clarify this for me.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:57 PM
joesabido

I wouldn't know, but I'd advise you to start a new thread or perform a search on the subject

You'll get far more replies
Old 07-16-2005, 07:53 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Profiles are ok for learning 3D, they fly fine if they are setup right. The only one I find to be total crap is the twist 3D, I cant do anything pretty with it at all, its just all over the place.

The OMP planes are good, as is the Extreme Flight Profile 3D plane. I havent personally owned the EF Profile but I have seen them and they are very capable in the hands of a good pilot.

But they are certainly different than a scale plane. Every step up in scale planes is going to handle a little differently as well.

There are a couple of quarter scale planes that handle as well as the 35-40% planes. One that comes to mind is the extreme flight YAK 87". It is a really awesome plane for 3D. That being said the 68" EF Yak made for a YS 110 is also in a class by itself. Its one of the only planes that small that I have ever known to handle even remotely close to a big scale 3Der.

My personal preference is Biplanes for 3D, my favorite is my 37% BME Ultimate, its sweet. I have flown several different styles of large planes and I have decided there is nothing that 3Ds like a properly set Ultimate or any bipe made for 3D. They are way more stable but still capable of radical and very crisp, clean 3D maneuvers. Im surprised more people havent caught on.