Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Showtime

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Showtime

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Bob101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Showtime

Well I really liked the "pattern" look of the plane...but after reading thru I'm gonna have to file the showtime under one of those magical planes made for engines that don't exist. Much like the EF Yak whose "design" engine was the YS 110 so it appears that's what the showtime is gonna fit into.....too bad. I wish designers would pick an engine and design a plane to fly "unlimited" with it and pick and engine you can readily buy.

I'm sure pattern flyers everywhere hate it when a plane like this comes out - more people sucking up the precious few YS's out there.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:49 AM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

My sentiments exactly.....Always seems to be a new plane that is "engine specific"...wont fly well with most readily available engines, and although they are great engines,the YS engines are certainly costly, and finicky to get set up properly.
I guess I am going to go with the OS 1.20 and hope its good for it.............
Old 07-07-2005, 06:31 AM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

why not just use a saito 150. you should get the ame power that way.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:59 AM
Stallion_51

Hey guys, we just got ours in. I'd post pics but it looks like some of you cheaters beat me to it. It took 3 hours, but it's now ready for equipment install.

Can't wait to slap our Saito 180 on the front of it. I don't think we'll have any power issues.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:14 PM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

Can't wait....mine is being delivered tomorrow. Bye Bye ucando........may you rest in peace up in the rafters of the shop.

Neo
Old 07-07-2005, 09:27 PM
zurgreturns

the only problem with a 120 or larger engine is that its to long and will stick out of the cowl an extra inch or more the thing that ticks me off the most is that superstar mike surly designed this plane with the ys110 in mind but because hangar-9 is in bed with saito he has to say that it will fly perfectly with a saito 100(yea right) i think this is called selling out and its funny what people will do for money.im useing the 100 in mine but my flying skill are very limited and i need power to get me out of trouble also mike admits that this plane can barly if at all hover in locations high above sea level

mike if you read this post how about trading me a ys110 for a SAITO 100 SO I CAN ENJOY MY NEW PLANE I'M SURE YOU CAN AFFORD IT
Old 07-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Bob101

Well I don't mind they recommend a saito 100 - they are in the business to make money after all. However when you spend the money for the showtime - it's not a cheap airplane for it's size - you want to 3-D unlimited. Unlimited - not a little of this and a little of that and some halfway hovering at 30 feet. You want to throw this thing around with the rudder scrapping the ground - from what I hear (and weighing that much I don't need to hear much more) that's not going to happen with a saito 100.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:44 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

How about that new SA125 that was soon to be released? Supposed to be in the SA100 block size, just a little heavier and have the power of a YS110---my guess that was going to be the motor for this plane, but it has not made it to the market yet.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

What about a small gasser, like the Evolution 26? Will it work? Is Horizon mentioning any plane for this engine of theirs? I like the look but I have converted to all gas and I want to keep it that way. This plane is making me re-think my shakey committment.

Any comments?????
Old 07-07-2005, 10:34 PM
NeoGenesis

I asked the same question earlier in the thread with no answers. My two concers are this......#1 is the firewall and surrounding support structure built to handle the extra vibration a gasser will put on it. From the pics I've seen in the instructions....I would say no. Mine should be arriving tomorrow....I'll post my thoughts after examining it. #2 How is the plane going to perform weighing in at nearly 11 lbs.....that's a very rough guess.....but the evoltion 25cc gasser weighs about a pound more that a saito 150 or 180. Who knows....if I sell my plane in the market place....I may just try it.

Neo
Old 07-07-2005, 10:56 PM
drumbum

ORIGINAL: BR289

My sentiments exactly.....Always seems to be a new plane that is "engine specific"...wont fly well with most readily available engines, and although they are great engines,the YS engines are certainly costly, and finicky to get set up properly.
I guess I am going to go with the OS 1.20 and hope its good for it.............
$335 Ys VS $379 OS 120 pumped since they YS is pumped

I put mine in the plane. started it, set the high speed needle. ran 1 tank. and have been flying ever since.. wich is also same experience with my OS 120 4 stroke

A Saito 150 is almost EXACTLY the same power as the 110. IN fact i believe it has a shade more. It does weigh more but not dramaticly more..my showtime with the servo on rudder in the tail did not balence untill i moved the throttle servo to the firewall.. so my guess is with the 150 you could just leave the servo where it is and the 150 would be perfect and only weigh in the low 9s in weight.. 8 to 9 oz more than an EF yak big deal.. if you flew it you would say where is the extra weight. trust me..

I dont think i would have the gazoonaz to put a 100 on it and get down on the deck[X(]
Old 07-08-2005, 12:21 PM
raideron

Hi People... Well I think I'm going to order one of these...
Planning on going with the YS 110, and HS-5645's and a
HS 85BB for the throttle with the slim hitec 8channel rec.
on a 1700 6v.... Putting all servos in the tail... Was using
all the stock hardware, Since I guess that's what most is
using????? Anyone doing different??? Would be nice to
get it ordered now:-) Thanks for any tips:-)
Old 07-09-2005, 12:11 AM
hellohellohello

Two things to post today:

1. Stop flaming about the engine recomendations. The instructions say 1.00-1.10. A 100 will fly this, not great but it will. I have a UCD that is 8lbs dry. The 100 flew it great. I think most people don't understand there are two types of 3D flyers. Sport and Serious. If you monking around with 3D and don't really care then when you hover at 3/4+ you don't really care. Every smaller 3D plane out there have engine recomendations that hover at 3/4 this is cause they are for the guy "monkeying with 3D. When you start getting in to the bigger planes they start moving the recomendations up. Like the H9 260. Does a 14lb plane really need a DA50 for sport flying? As McConville said (Paraphrase) "When people see the vertical of the 260 with the DA50 it usually beings with holy and ends with explitive" (I have 260 with a 50, no one "messing" with 3D needs that kinda power)

So if you want ubber preformance go with a bigger engine and chill out. Zurgreturns lay off the caps, please.

2. Broke one of my SFGs yesturday. I think my 1/4 throttle blender did it in. (Remember Mokie 1.8 under the hood) No, I did not hit it on the ground. I broke a top one off. Even thought I put more stress on it then is probably prudent I'm really unimpressed with the consturction of the SFGs. The metal rod that connects the two does not extend above the wing. If you look at the SFG half with the rod the top of the tab (wood part that actually goes in wing) is where the rod stops. except for a 1/8X1/2 piece that runs in the center the grain of the tab that goes into the wing is running parallel to the wing. I really like how they attach I thought it was really neat. I think they might need to rethink how they are constructed though.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:30 AM
NeoGenesis

ORIGINAL: NeoGenesis

I asked the same question earlier in the thread with no answers. My two concers are this......#1 is the firewall and surrounding support structure built to handle the extra vibration a gasser will put on it. From the pics I've seen in the instructions....I would say no. Mine should be arriving tomorrow....I'll post my thoughts after examining it. #2 How is the plane going to perform weighing in at nearly 11 lbs.....that's a very rough guess.....but the evoltion 25cc gasser weighs about a pound more that a saito 150 or 180. Who knows....if I sell my plane in the market place....I may just try it.

Neo

Got my showtime today...and boy am I in love with it already. I can't wait to get her put together. After looking at the way the airframe is constructed...I believe this plane could accept a small gasser easily. Firewall is plenty thick.....tied into ply sides that run to the back of the hatch and are also attached to the wing tube. It's built right.....and should take the vibration without a problem......but that's only my thought. Anyone else feel differently?

Neo
Old 07-09-2005, 06:30 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Got mine from Chief on Thursday. Just waiting to put servos and motor on today and it could be in the air tomorrow. Have to go get some Futaba digitals and I am putting a Saito 120 on the nose.

This plane is sweet!!!

R/C Foolish
Old 07-09-2005, 07:45 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think some people b*tch too much here about the plane's minimum engine size, its the same for almost all manufacturers like GP etc. Its only with the new style of building that WM is able to state that a 46 will fly the plane darn well. Since when can the GP Super Chipmunk fly nicely on a 90 sized 2C? I am most keen to reada good flight review on this plane soon!
Old 07-09-2005, 08:13 AM
NeoGenesis

The only reason I even mention such a conversion is that I'm getting rid of my 1/4 scale and thinking of getting rid of my 46% stuff. I like gas because of the little bit of fuel it uses....not becuase of power. Some of you on here read into things a little too much. You not once heard be complain about it. Yes....it sucks that it's underrated....it'll lead many of the less experienced astray.....but I know what I'm getting into.....I'm also putting a Satio 1.00 on it to begin with. IF I don't like it...I won't put a thirty Saito 150 on the nose....I'll just go gas. That is the only reason that I brought it up. It's just another possibilty that the plane is capable of and not yet been explored. Maybe some of us need to stop complaining about the complainers......and quit wasting space doing just that.

Neo out!!!!

Old 07-09-2005, 10:52 AM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been flying mine pretty hard the past couple of afternoons. its been a little cooler here --88 degreees rather that 95- and the 1.00 is adequte but not overwhelming. I have no problem doing low harriers and walls and even hovering a few feet of the ground but a little more power on tap would be a bit more relaxing.

Having put a couple of dozen flites on mine I feel that the plane flys better overall without using the SFGS. The SFG certainly gives the knife edge more authority but seem to keep the plane from flying as smoothly in other areas. Has anyone else done a with/without comparision?

Zonk
Old 07-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Bob101

You'd think with a name like "4-D" people wouldn't be looking at this plane to do "some" 3-D but some serious throw it around on the deck 3-D. I mean come on the plane's name is "showtime". If you stick a saito 100 in a 8+ pound plane it's not going to be unlimited. Might as well fly one of those lead sleds like a UCD.

I guess it's the same mentality I saw with the umpteen people at my field who fly the UCD and I've seen maybe one person hover it lower than 50 feet and none can do anything else with it besides maybe a wall and they said "Yeah I 3-D".....boggling.

Like someone said the recommended engine is a 1.00 to a 1.10 - well the 1.00 saito is not enough for serious 3-D and you get on a waiting list for the 1.10 YS. If you go with a bigger 1.20-1.80 you wind up with mounting issues. Plane is in that mystery area, much like 78" planes where glow engines aren't enough and gas engines are too big/heavy for the airframe.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:08 PM
raideron

Keep the flight post going:-)... I have one on hold $255 shipped.. But waiting
to see if they will match Servo city's custom flight pack...

Hey I like my UCD.... Tail has been on the ground.. Flat spins Great, K.E.'s
with a bit of stick work... And it'll float forever:-)
Old 07-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Hey Bob101. Easy on the UCD bashing. I like my UCDs they are the most fun airplanes. Can't be beat in my opinion. You must not have people at your club willing to fly them. I have the UCD60 with a Saito 100 and it's a great combo. I can knife edge it horizon to horizon all day long. It will hover although I do keep it about 10-15 feet up. And it will flat spin great. I can even get it to do fair waterfalls. Easy on your talk. In comparison. I have a Yak. Flying with the 110. Best on the market. That's what everyone says. Well so far, and I've only got a few flights on it, still trimming, I'm witholding judgement, but, the UCD is a lot more fun. The Yak is more precise, but the UCD is more 3D. And I'm talking about the 60. The 46: well it can't be beat, no way, no how. The Showtime is on the table right now. My hope is that it is a better than a UCD. But so far, with the planes I've purchased, all I've done is spend more money.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 07-09-2005, 04:54 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well maybe ill buy a showtime just to get in here to defend the ucd, where does Bob get his info? well my ucd does great flats(blenders) great knife, great hover(20ft), great low and slow, ive only been flying 17mos and am a self learner and have no one else around to put cr&^ in my head so i can pick and choose who to learn from on here, sorry Bob, cant buy your post
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16117.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	295325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27724.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	295326  
Old 07-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Barry Cazier

raideron, jgeffers. I miss you guys. Wish I was welcome on the UCD forum. But sometimes personalities conflict. Anyways, good hearing from you guys. And I don't know where Bob101 got his info but, He is WRONG.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 07-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Barry Cazier

Great pictures Gary. I didn't see those when I first read your post. Looking good. What was the temp?
Barry
Old 07-09-2005, 05:58 PM
raideron

Barry... Gary's close to me..... So let's just say it is "HOT" But as he
say's it's Dry Heat :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.