Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Synergy or Adreniline?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Synergy or Adreniline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 02:08 PM
RussD2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synergy or Adreniline?

Hi Everyone,

I know there has been a lot of discussion about these two models and they both sound superb and I don't wanna fuel a my planes better than yours debate... BUT I would really like to hear up to date views on the pro's and cons of each?

I have been out of the 'fixed wing' loop for a while, but will be looking at building up to accurate freestyle FAI style of flying with some 3-D moves thrown in once I get my head back round the fixed wing stick movements again.

Best performing engine?

Most reliable / easy to set up engine?

Which is better for FAI?

Better for 3D?

Best at being a compromise for both flying style?

Lightest?

Better quality build?

Better quality covering?

More crash resistance?

More repairable?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer....

Russ.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Ian.W

Default RE: Synergy or Adreniline?

IMO, neither! I admit strait away i have never flown either of them, but ive flown the Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 (68") and its THE bollocks! i cant stait how well this plane flys, lets let the vids talk:

this is my video: http://www.3drc.info/media/flights/Yak_54.wmv
EFRC vid: http://www.freestyle-rc.com/video/68_yak54.wmv
Some EFRC customer Vids: http://www.extremeflightrc.com/produ...ust_vid_01.wmv

Impressive or what!?!?!

Best performing engine?
YS110 or Moki 135

Most reliable / easy to set up engine?
out of the two above, the Moki 135

Which is better for FAI?
This yak won the AMA masters pattern comp against dedicated 2M machines, obviously it needs to be trimmed well, but it will fly beautifuly smooth

Better for 3D?
look at the vids posted above, as you can see its amazing, vertially no wing rock and with the ultra low wing loading it floats, but with the thiner wing, it tracks very well

Best at being a compromise for both flying style?
This plane is designed as a freestle aerobat, in other words it perfroms both with ease

Lightest?
Mine weighs sub 9lbs (i think its 8 1/2 lbs), with a wing area of 920 square inches, its very light for its size

Better quality build?
Look at attached pics

Better quality covering?
All oracover, profilm in the UK, ironed on to a very high standard

More crash resistance?
Only 1 UC has been ripped out in the history of these planes, and the reason for that is the wheels rollind under the sandown "runway"... a bit like hitting a brick wall . Ive "landed" very hard a few times, i wouldnt be suprised that many planes would quite easily snapped in two on some of them, but with mine, all i did was repair the actuall UC legs, and fly again!

More repairable?
Never really had to do it its so strong!

Avalible from [link=http://www.freestyle-rc.com]Freestyle-RC[/link] from a Guy called Daniel Roser. They cost ÂŁ275. Thats more than the adrenalin, and possibly the synergy (im not sure), however! you get ALL dubro hardwere, including dubro 16oz tank, dubro closed loop, 4-40 rods, dubro everything basically! and to top it off it even comes with a carbon fibre wing tube as standard! strong enough to withstand full power dives strait into really fast tumbels. Also, for an extra ÂŁ25 you can get a set of wingbags which fit like gloves.

The only slight problem is as yet they are not in stock, but trust me, its worth every minute of the wait!

Heres some pictures of it....

Ian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16626.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	294704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71833.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	294705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47343.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	294706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92813.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	294707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg54742.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	294708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul80481.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	294709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh80216.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	294710  
Old 07-07-2005, 06:28 PM
YNOT

Damn Ian, you sold me on the plane and I didn't even ask the question.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:50 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

Yep 68" Yak. If you want something that is 60" and 6.5 pounds I think the Fliton Extra 330 is the ticket.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:22 AM
tom222

comparing the synergy and adrenaline,

I used to have a synergy but it was getting old and tatty so have replaced it with an adrenaline. My Adrenaline is getting old aswell now and I think I would replace it with another adrenaline if I had the money.

The synergy is a lot less solid, I broke the undercarriage off it quite a few times, and everything was cracking and bending by the time I stopped flying it. I think I prefer flying the adrenaline, but it is quite close. The adrenaline feels bigger in the air, and I think the 3D is a bit more stable. Some people say that the adrenaline is a lot nicer to fly tho.

Theres some old video of me flying the adrenaline and synergy on www.guernseymodelclub.com/videos.htm . Some of the flying is a bit dodgy in the vid, especially with the synergy.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:28 PM
RussD2

Hi Lads,

Thanks for the great feedback!

Sounds like the Adreniline has the overall edge over the Synergy....

The Yak sure does look nice though and I am very tempted. Any idea when they will be in stock?

But the Filton Extra sure is a VERY sweet looking model... what powerplant does this model need and any idea who stocks e'm in the UK?

Keep the comparisons and advice rolling in

Many thanks,

Russ.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:03 PM
kris1

Russ

well I have all three planes, all be it at different times.

Synergy 90 YS 110
Adrenaline YS110
EF Yak YS120.

IMO. I would put the synergy as the better flying aeroplane. First it came out at nearly 1 1/2lbs lighter than the Adrenaline. It is a cleaner airframe and will fly K.E all day and very slow. In fact mine did a KE elevator in very low wind conditions and will just drop out of the sky. But you cannot just bung the kit together. It required a fair amount of thought, rebuild and reinforcement. This in the UC area (ply beam on mine), 1/16” balsa lining all the way down from the firewall to TE of the wing. The wing LE is chopped at F2 and reinforced with ply so it mounts properly on F2. Tail braced with Ali tube etc. The wing is a balsa foam balsa sandwich, very light, not so good for repair. With the supplied UC you will not get a bigger prop that 16” That will reduce the engine range to 90 two stroke or 91 110 four stroke I would not like to go bigger and the plane will to take it.

Adrenaline. It is very strong. IMO looks better, a mini majestic. A better sports aerobatic club plane IMO. It is heaver making the prop hanging more marginal, so I think that full 3d with the YS110 is not as good as the synergy, but it will still do it with power to spare, but not such an obscene power weight as the Synergy. The adrenaline however is a better freestyle airframe. The fuzz is more draggy and will present better for freestyle type flying. I have no problems snapping into blenders on this plane. It will take a bigger engine than the 110. As for prop clearance, it will easily take a 18” prop. Now 18”x 8” prop is a YS 140 size prop. Now that is a thought on this plane! And only a few oz’s more…. It still flies very well.

EF Yak, It looks like a plane and flies as well as the synergy. I have found a few weak places canopy, the UC, mounting of the UC is ok though. It is the only ARTF that I have used all the accessory kit. It is a really good plane with my YS120 on a 17x6. I am still playing with the set-up, and will move the cofg back soon. It is very light and will fly like a fun fly, IMAC or freestyle machine.

I bought another synergy to replace the Adrenaline. But I really like the adrenaline too. So I will keep both. This is an expensive option as I will need another YS110 and a number of new Hitec digitals. Oh well.

I guess bottom line, if you are going a thrash the airframe, get the adrenaline, if you fly light and fly smoothly, don’t hack the plane, don’t mind some rebuilding before you put the plane in the air and like the supreme accuracy of flight get the synergy. The YAK is also very good. It will do it all and look the part. The price of the planes is now very similar. The Synergy used to be in the £400 mark, but now McGregor’s have them they about £270ish. £275 for the YAK and £250 for the Adrenaline, you have a choice on your hands.

I don’t think you will go wrong with any of these planes, IMO 66 to 70” wing span and a 120 size engine, fly well, present themselves well, have a good wing loading but are not too big to transport.

Let us know what you go for

Kris
Old 07-08-2005, 05:15 PM
RussD2

Hi Kris,

Cheers for the very well presented and extremely helpful feedback!

I have recently become very intertested in fixed wing again after many years of Heli's (from which I need a long break!!!). I am getting on very well with an E-Flight Yak 54 Foamy, but I am limited to outdoor flying and our wonderful UK weather limits available flying days.

I must admit I find the choice of ARF models is now amazing... if not a touch bewlidering! I am assuming that (as you stated); this size / class of model is a good step up in flying quality above the 50-size offerings and is worthy of the extra jump up in size?

Thanks again...

Russ.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:28 AM
Ian.W

i had a capiche 50, loved it, very stable. However, when i moved up to my yak...well...i havent touched my C50 again, they fly soo much better and smoother. As youre a heli man, i think its comparing a 30sized raptor to a 90 sized high end JR machine
Old 07-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Nickolas

Will the Synergy come nose heavy with an OS-120 Pump? Are YS-110 and YS-91 the only options?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:13 AM
kris1

I think the synergy will be nose heavy. I had the YS 110 on mine and the battery had to be behine the te of the wing.

As for size, bigger planes do as a rule fly better. I have a Kyosho Cap 40 with a YS 63 and a seduction with a YS 63 and have not touched them since I went to bigger planes. Only exception being the Madness.

Cheers

Kris
Old 07-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Nickolas

Kris1 thanks for the reply.

What is the difference between the Synergy 90 3D by MacGregor and the one by ZN Line?

Old 07-10-2005, 03:43 PM
kris1

Nickolas,

As far as I can tell nothing. They are the same thing, The new one is called a Synergy 91. It has a solid tail instead of the built up one, but it is made in the same factory. I guess the cost diffrence has something to do with copy right on the design.

Cheers

kris