Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:00 PM
drbebob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

I have been looking over my GP Ultimate and would have to say in it's and Great Planes defense that for $400 this is a heck of a deal. The F/G gear looks a bit light but then again everyone seems to be coming out beyond GP's projected weight range due to the fact that we are using heavier motors. Their weight range seems totally unrealistic for an airplane with this aerobatic pedigree and size, but hey for $400 if I have to add a $50 set of gear I won't complain. At the rate these things are selling I would assume we will start seeing replacement C/F and high grade aluminum gear very soon.

Bob
Old 11-28-2005, 02:08 PM
keary
My Feedback: (10)

Well this landing gear thing has got me a little concerned- I'm going with a ZDZ 50 -3.37 lbs(flight hardware and ign) so it's very close
to the DA- but adding smoke and I'm afraid that my all up weight is going to be a little much for a fiberglass gear!

Keary
Old 11-28-2005, 02:26 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob,

Trust me. I'm not complaining, not even a little bit. Just disappointed in the quality of the landing gear as I really wanted to keep flying yesterday

I absolutely love the plane. so much so my Wildhare Ultimate is jealous, it just turns it's tail to me when ever I walk up to it I'm waiting for it to come up to me and nip me in the ankle when I'm not looking .

For the price you cannot go wrong. It's extremely easy to assemble. the overall quality is superb. If someone would ask me which Ultimate I would recommend I would have a hard time saying either the WH, Aeroworks, World Models (same plane as the Aeroworks) or the GP.

What everyone needs to remember is so far it is only my plane that has this problem and mine is heavier than the other one done with the Fuji that Dick did.

For all we know I had a left gear that was done on Monday or late on Friday. The right gear shows no sign of cracking at this time. I can assure everyone that my landings were not the cause of this, I'm certain it's just flat out a gear that is too weak for the weight.

I understand everyones frustration as I too purchased it based on the specs listed on GP's web site and Towers web site. I am still considering the YAK they are coming out with but I will wait until the LHS gets one and weigh it piece by piece before I buy it which for me is not hard to do since I work part-time at the LHS

GP is making good and sending replacements. I will not complain about a company that sends them without even asking for the old ones back
Old 11-28-2005, 03:14 PM
nitrous pete
My Feedback: (40)

The prop is a Bolly 23x8 And yes its close But damm it works awesome , I tried a 22x8 it was ok , but Big diff, in this one
peace
Old 11-28-2005, 04:56 PM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anybody else has had the same problem with this LG delamination I'd say it is a design flaw. If you, Bubbagates, are the only one then I'd say it is more likely a manufacturing flaw. Perhaps one in one thousand or so. Since I do work with fiberglass and composites quite a bit I think I will check the stock gear on mine (once I should get my Ultiand be able to determine whether it is good or bad. But I may make a couple of molds right away, just in case mine should crack on me also. Then I would have my own matching set in graphite.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:02 PM
bubbagates

I'd be more than glad to send you mine once I get the replacements so you can do the mold. If interested, lets take it offline and use PM's
Old 11-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

It's possible that the gear isn't intended to be hollow, and you simply got a set with a large void. Once you do get your replacement gear... and IF it's not needed for a mold... cut some sections with a band saw and see what you got on both sides...

The gear on the GP vid looks to be very solid (not weak at all) with a semi heavy touchdown. Of course they are using an O.S. 1.60 in that one and therefore are probably 2 lbs lighter...

What I want to know is how you ended up 1.5 POUNDS heavier than Pettit? That just doesn't seem possible based on your setup... a half pound maybe...

???
Old 11-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Maudib

Also in your pics... it looks like the left side of the gear is drooping lower than the right.... Which side delaminated and was this pic after the maiden or before?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:19 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: Maudib

It's possible that the gear isn't intended to be hollow, and you simply got a set with a large void. Once you do get your replacement gear... and IF it's not needed for a mold... cut some sections with a band saw and see what you got on both sides...

The gear on the GP vid looks to be very solid (not weak at all) with a semi heavy touchdown. Of course they are using an O.S. 1.60 in that one and therefore are probably 2 lbs lighter...

What I want to know is how you ended up 1.5 POUNDS heavier than Pettit? That just doesn't seem possible based on your setup... a half pound maybe...

???
We'll see about the gear

I cannot find a valid reason as to the weight difference. My setup is very similiar to Dick's with the exception of the servos and when I checked there is only a total of 4 ounces difference in the servos that he used versus mine. Plus I used titanium for the control rods and one tail servo.

At first I thought my scale was really off so I took it to the post office and tried it on the large shipping scale, then did it on a doctors scale (tri-beam) then did it on a pallet scale. All 3 came out at roughly the same weight.

Maybe Dick used something other than epoxy to put the tail and wings together. Or I just got a heavy plane to start with
Old 11-28-2005, 05:21 PM
bubbagates

Also in your pics... it looks like the left side of the gear is drooping lower than the right.... Which side delaminated and was this pic after the maiden or before?
The pics of the plane were before the maiden.

I thought I saw the same thing but if you look at the pics from the right side it looks like it's bowed more than the left so it's an optical illusion. It was the left gear that cracked. I just checked the right side closely and see nothing wrong with it

More and more I'm thinking I just got a bad left side gear
Old 11-28-2005, 05:47 PM
drbebob

Bill --- I hear Ya'. These ARF's are incredible values and it is a buyers market to boot. You might want to try a fix to the composite gear that I did on my BME Edge. I use some .025 unidirectional CF gussets to reinforce the stress point at the joint. It's still holding after many flights. I did the same thing on my ARC Yak before painting. The Photos are self-explanatory. While it's not intended as a permanent fix (as if there were such a thing in model aviation) it might get you through until the L/G situation is sorted out.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53233.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	361727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99283.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	361728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95381.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	361729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic85292.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	361730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wi59807.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	361731  
Old 11-28-2005, 05:52 PM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

Ok guys, I is all done!! I weighed it today with a fish scale and it came out at 14 1/2lbs. I am going to weigh it again tomorrow on a calibrated digital scale.
Here's a couple of pics of it. My camera is not very good. It's one of the first digital cams.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36378.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	361732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91058.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	361733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59377.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	361734  
Old 11-28-2005, 05:53 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: drbebob

Bill --- I hear Ya'. These ARF's are incredible values and it is a buyers market to boot. You might want to try a fix to the composite gear that I did on my BME Edge. I use some .025 unidirectional CF gussets to reinforce the stress point at the joint. It's still holding after many flights. I did the same thing on my ARC Yak before painting. The Photos are self-explanatory. While it's not intended as a permanent fix (as if there were such a thing in model aviation) it might get you through until the L/G situation is sorted out.

Bob
Cool idea

I have replacements on the way and may consider begging thevriginian to layup so carbon gear for me
Old 11-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Maudib

Maybe Dick's scale is a little optimistic....

To be honest I was surpised to hear it came out to 14.5 lbs...

A 1450 sq in plane, with 4 alieron servos and cabanes... SHOULD come in heavier than the EF 87" Yak... Mine was 15.25 without wheel pants... 15.5 with.

How a bipe basically equal to the size of the EFYak (which is perhaps the lightest 1450 sq in ARF on the market) that has 6-8 oz more of extra servos, extensions and control linkages, plus cabanes... AND come in 1 lb lighter than a "light built" monoplane?

Now that aside... I think GP did themselves a great disservice by advertising 12-13.5 lbs... At 16 lbs this thing should be a feather... and if you could get 15? Well it would just plain be amazing with a 50cc class engine. If it could come in at 14.5 then the Fuji-IMVAC 43 should be quite nice... and I sure do like the fit in the cowl...

I'd like to see some people weight the components that go into the plane before building it so we know the total weight of "in the box items".

BTW... HOW in the world did you end up 4 oz heavier over 8 servos? And Dick used 9 servos????? Maybe Dick's plane came with helium ports?

Anyhooo... this plane really seems to be a winner...

Just how easy of setup at the field was it with their strut attachments? Seems like a great idea anyway... And, as stock, you need to put two screws & locknuts on the center rib of the top wing?

I can see a DA50 on this easy... stupid power and a ton of fun...
Old 11-28-2005, 06:09 PM
bubbagates

Maybe Dick's scale is a little optimistic....

To be honest I was surpised to hear it came out to 14.5 lbs...

A 1450 sq in plane, with 4 alieron servos and cabanes... SHOULD come in heavier than the EF 87" Yak... Mine was 15.25 without wheel pants... 15.5 with.

How a bipe basically equal to the size of the EFYak (which is perhaps the lightest 1450 sq in ARF on the market) that has 6-8 oz more of extra servos, extensions and control linkages, plus cabanes... AND come in 1 lb lighter than a "light built" monoplane?

Now that aside... I think GP did themselves a great disservice by advertising 12-13.5 lbs... At 16 lbs this thing should be a feather... and if you could get 15? Well it would just plain be amazing with a 50cc class engine. If it could come in at 14.5 then the Fuji-IMVAC 43 should be quite nice... and I sure do like the fit in the cowl...

I'd like to see some people weight the components that go into the plane before building it so we know the total weight of "in the box items".

BTW... HOW in the world did you end up 4 oz heavier over 8 servos? And Dick used 9 servos????? Maybe Dick's plane came with helium ports?

Anyhooo... this plane really seems to be a winner...

Just how easy of setup at the field was it with their strut attachments? Seems like a great idea anyway... And, as stock, you need to put two screws & locknuts on the center rib of the top wing?

I can see a DA50 on this easy... stupid power and a ton of fun...
Dick used Hitech 475's all around I beleive which are 1.41oz each so assuming he has 9 of them then he's got 12.69 ounces

5645's at 2.11oz X 4 = 8.44 ounces
5945's at 1.97oz X 3 = 5.91 ounces
One 645 on the throttle = 2.11

For a grand total of 16.46 ounces

After just seeing iflywhenican's pics I popped over to Brisons site and seriously considering getting the 3.2 (50cc)

iflywhenican

Do you have a total weight of the engine, muffler, ignition, battery???
Old 11-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Maudib

drbebob, excellent work and great ingenuity!

iflywhenican, another 14.5 lber? Well maybe all I just said is now null and void... And that with a Brison 3.2? Awesome... a DA50 bird would be the same then.... Oh my gosh... 23x8 NX prop and the thing would be unbelievable... So much power you could use a 3 blade CF prop (would look SOOO sweet on this plane) and still be way overpowered (and QUIET).

Bubbagates... geesh man... maybe them PA scales are getting too cold to operate properly...

All... any chance of a canister pipe cobble?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:13 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

drbebob - This Ultimate is a "high performance biplane", period. Folks powering these fat mommas with OS 1.60's are gonna be screaming to high Heaven about how terrible they are - because they tried to follow GP's "specs". I am not alone in my opinion on this - why try to market the thing of this pedigree, quality, and lineage, then strap on a slug motor that would disappoint even the most basic aerobatic enthusiast??? Just doesn't make sense.

BTW - This airplane is a GREAT value for the price.... but then it should be - GP wants the 50 cc market, obviously. What got under my skin is such an early failure, albeit an isolated one. It just should NOT happen; no reason for it.

I flew mine 4 times; gear flexed like CRAZY on it - and it was a half pound lighter then with the Brison 2.4. Hot temps and a good 50cc setup is gonna turn this f-glass crap to rubber.... betcha a prop strike!!!!

thevirginian - if you do CF ones - please let us know - I'm thinking I'll be in the market for 'em....

Old 11-28-2005, 06:19 PM
iflywhenican

"thevirginian - if you do CF ones - please let us know - I'm thinking I'll be in the market for 'em...."

DITTO for me also Virginian.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:20 PM
bubbagates

OK I give in, were's my plastic, Santa is going to buy me a Brison 3.2
Old 11-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Maudib

I just weighed my just returned and "updated" DA. Has the new steel connecting rod and carb block. THey also at no charge decided to replace my crankshaft and front & middle bearings. Love them guys...

Just a smidge under 3.5 lbs (like 3 lbs 7.95 oz) That's engine, spark plug, ignition, standoffs, prop washer & bolts. A 4 cell 1650 NiMH pack weighs about 4 oz...
Old 11-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Maudib

There is a new business that's doing CF gear... unidirectional layups... he'd probably JUMP at the chance to make a mold and that person get a half priced set (or maybe even free).

http://www.rcsupergear.com/index1.htm

Looks like nice stuff...

Old 11-28-2005, 07:07 PM
bubbagates

I just sent him an email, we'll see what he has to say
Old 11-28-2005, 07:07 PM
iflywhenican

Check part# SG22

http://www.rcsupergear.com/index1.htm
Old 11-28-2005, 07:09 PM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

Well I must say I am in on the carbon gear. The field I fly at is not the smoothest. I am glad to see these weights with the 50cc guys as I said it should be possible judging by the weight of mine with that pig of a glow motor on it.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I have accumulated a spreadsheet with weights (real life) of many of the motors we're talking about.
Here is the Brison 3.2

Brison 3.2
53 - motor/plug/mounting plate/thrust washer/nut
3.8 - ignition
6.2 - Bisson W/A Pitts

4.7 - 1650mah NiMh/ w/ MPI Switch

67.7 - total ounce weight
4.23 - total pound weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.