Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Buka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

hi all once again ...

i am putting together my ultimate at the moment...
i ususaly use CA to glue in my tail plane ... and am wondering at the moment is there foam inside the stab ??? is there is then epoxy is the only way to go ... but i really cant figure it out ...

thanx a lot
Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Buka

hi all once again ...

i am putting together my ultimate at the moment...
i ususaly use CA to glue in my tail plane ... and am wondering at the moment is there foam inside the stab ??? is there is then epoxy is the only way to go ... but i really cant figure it out ...

thanx a lot
I used ca for mine. If it's a pretty tight fit, you're ok with ca. if not, i'd use epoxy. the wires help support the stab too.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Buka

well i am sure it will mold up fine ... my main consern is whether there is foam insime the stab which will melt it u apply CA .... now that u are saying that urs in fine ... then there wouldnt be any foam inside ???
Old 06-22-2007, 09:55 AM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Buka

well i am sure it will mold up fine ... my main consern is whether there is foam insime the stab which will melt it u apply CA .... now that u are saying that urs in fine ... then there wouldnt be any foam inside ???
There is no foam inside either of the stabs, but there is foam inside the turtle deck. Be extra carefull with gasoline getting in that area. Make sure your gas tank is sealed if you plan to use a gas engine, also make sure the tank is dry before doing any work inside the fuse.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:01 AM
leelee

i have the DL 50 to go on this plane. was wondering what lenght standoffs i need. dont want to use the ones that came with it. was thinking of the da standoffs or some like them. I havn't got far on the build just want to have them ready when i gat to that part of the build.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

P. 22... gas engine installation.... firewall to face of prop hub .... 7 1/4"
You can make somewhat shorter, maybe a bit longer, but can't vary it a whole bunch. Firewall is fixed in place. Cowling landing gear cutouts will interfere if shortening the engine install, and you have to be mindful of the engine box.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:08 AM
krokko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: leelee

i have the DL 50 to go on this plane. was wondering what lenght standoffs i need. dont want to use the ones that came with it. was thinking of the da standoffs or some like them. I havn't got far on the build just want to have them ready when i gat to that part of the build.
I used the ones that came with the DL50 but had to add 4 x 10mm thick pieces of hardwood between firewall and the mount. Have flown the Ulti 5-6 times, no problems at all. If you put in other stand-offfs they need to be 3" or 76mm to get a nice fit for the spinner.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:45 AM
dmcmike

What have you all been using for control throws. right now, i'm set up with the recommended GP throws from the manual. Just the Hi and Low rate, not 3d.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:01 PM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: mcmike

What have you all been using for control throws. right now, i'm set up with the recommended GP throws from the manual. Just the Hi and Low rate, not 3d.
For Hi and Lo rate, I went with the suggested throws...for 3-D...all the throw you can get...
I can usually do about anything just on the Hi rate though. The roll rate on the suggested Lo throws will get your attention!!!![X(]
Old 06-23-2007, 01:31 PM
dmcmike

roll rate doesn't worry me much, it's the elevator throw that concerns me, getting to 'snappy'. It'll probably be ok.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

roll rate doesn't worry me much, it's the elevator throw that concerns me, getting to 'snappy'. It'll probably be ok.
"Expo is your Friend"
Old 06-23-2007, 03:35 PM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: aerobob

"Expo is your Friend"
"INDEED INDEED"
Old 06-23-2007, 07:19 PM
dmcmike

Believe it or not, i hadn't even Tried expo until I started messing with foamys a year or so ago. But, I found out, I do Like it! Can fix a throttle curve real quick too!

Just got back in the house after starting up the Brison for the first time. What a sweet Engine! All the LHS had for a prop was either a regular club Zinger, or a Zinger Pro. I went with the pro in 22x10. I really wanted an 8, but no joy... Flooded it at first, but then opened the choke, cracked the throttle, and about 4 pulls later, she started popping. a couple of more, and she was purring. Lots of power, and a nice throaty sound with the pitts muffler on her. This is gonna be fun! Got a quick radio ground check with Wifey holding her down, with a restraint of course. Not a bit of funny servo things, Remote engine kill works great. Just a Tail wheel to hook up and we're off to maiden her tomorrow, weather permitting! I'll see about getting some pics.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:38 PM
iflywhenican

mcmike....Let us know how many times your smile goes completely around your head after the maiden...GOOD LUCK to ya!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:32 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Jeff,

My GP Ultimate's 'twin' aka Jerry's, met it's demise on Fathers Day[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Our instructor Buck, had a new flier on the buddy box and was at the South end of the field(sky) flying circles (learning turns).
I took off & nearly got hit by the trainer, but was able to veer off in time. Jerry took off, neither one saw the other, and BOOM.

I was at the far North end of the field & unable to see what happened, but you could hear the mid air collision blocks away! Jerry had his hands full trying to keep his crippled Ultimate from hitting those warehouse buildings (good thing), but unfortunately missed getting to the soft wheat field(bad thing).

The wind/sky gods weren't in his favor. With both upper & lower right hand wing tips sheared off(and related ailerons screwed), he had very little control as he put it, and she eventually nosed over breaking the box the DA-50r mounted to.
He had a bunch of his relatives there watching & we had intended to give them a joint show[&o]

Needless to say, but he's just a wee bit pissed[sm=punching.gif]
I know the feeling here but there are two lessons to be learned! 1. New pilots are nervous enough just trying to concentrate on flying their trainer, whether it's theirs or the clubs. Airtime for newbies should be "dedicated" airtime without the distraction and gut wrenching thought of other "high performance" aircraft sharing the airspace. 2. Don't fly without a spotter! let me make that a little clearer, "DON'T FLY WITHOUT A SPOTTER!!!" In the case above we now have a seasoned pilot with a tragic loss of his bird and a newbie who may never come back to the hobby at all, no insult intended but the latter may be the bigger loss. Oh. By the way, I'm maidening my ULTI today, with a spotter and no club trainers.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 06-30-2007, 09:29 PM
dmcmike

You Guys who've been flying these for a while were holding out on the rest of us just building! I just got my maiden in today. NO Clicks of trim, any axis. Balance was dead on. Got 3 flights in, nothing too strenuous, brought her home to check for loose screws, etc. Gotta Love that rudder, that thing will knife edge all day long plus some. Got her back on charge for some more fun tomorrow. I got me a new #1!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:17 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Loopman

I know the feeling here but there are two lessons to be learned!..........Airtime for newbies should be "dedicated" airtime without the distraction and gut wrenching thought of other "high performance" aircraft sharing the airspace.........2. Don't fly without a spotter!.........
Happy Flying!

Loopman
Oh, every one of us has a 'cure' for these things, ie, hindsight is always better than foresight, etc.

Should our club ever need to relocate, we're going to opt for a site with a bigger 'sky'!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:25 AM
a1pcfixer

You Guys who've been flying these for a while were holding out on the rest of us just building! I just got my maiden in today...........
....I got me a new #1!
Oh, it's been said plenty, but this thread is such a monster you can't find such great reports easily.
Glad to hear your maiden went well!

My DP Ultimate 1.20 used to be my #1, but I use that one to practice manuevers (it's now my 'disposable bird)
then do same manuvers with my new #1 - GP Ultimate 1.60.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:00 AM
a1pcfixer

Time to repost these links to various 'mods' we've done!

To save folks time searching this topic for info & photo's, here's my quick-links;

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5014262]Wing joiner mod #1.....[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5155774]Wing joiner mod #2....[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4958548]Wing joiner failure...[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3754355]Landing gear mod #1a....[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5189047]Landing gear mod #1b....[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5225841]Landing gear mod #1c....[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5263484]Landing gear mod #2a[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5263484]Landing gear mod #2b....[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4212072]Engine mount - toothpicks mod #1a....[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5238449]Engine mount (back side -washers) & cowl mounted w/3"stand-off's #1b...[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4752725]Hinge mods on tail....[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5250046]Prop drilling/balancing next 7 posts....[/link]

[link=http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/EngDesert.htm]DA-50r (FREE shipping & FREE 3"stand-off's)....[/link]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4855801]Check balance without the wings on[/link]

Also, when you view those items above, read a couple pages before & after. Usually there's more details & descriptions.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:09 AM
iflywhenican

Nothing takes the place of "hands on experience." What I mean by that is, us guys that have been flying the Ultimate for quite a while could tell you all day long about the qualities of flying this bird, but untill you actually fly it yourself, you will never know.
As I have stated in earlier posts, when I take my Ultimate to the flield, I take my GP Skybolt also and make it a "BIPEDAY." Now that is totally the "ULTIMATE" flying experience!!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:25 PM
leelee

I was going through this thread and seen that you had the trim around your engine cutout on the cowl, I have looked everywhere for some but can't find it. Could you possible tell me where I can find some. Thank's and nice looking ulti. In post#2598
Old 07-01-2007, 08:13 PM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: leelee

I was going through this thread and seen that you had the trim around your engine cutout on the cowl, I have looked everywhere for some but can't find it. Could you possible tell me where I can find some. Thank's and nice looking ulti. In post#2598
It's called "cockpit combing"
Try Sullivan products or you can be creative with some trim tape or door edging from your auto parts store.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 AM
dale691

Hi Guys, I have tried to wade through all the posts. Im looking for a good two stroke glow motor for my ultimate. I am thinking of the ST 3250. I won't be doing 3D stuff but I'd like some punch. I have a Saito 220 and love it, but it's in my H9 extra 260, and I want both planes set up. Any suggestions or comments? Does anyone have this set up?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Mylons

Hello, I have been using an O.S. BGX-1 on mine with great results. I use an 18x10 zinger pro (balanced) and spin it 7400 rpm. hardly ever have to tweak the needle. It is a 35cc 2.1 ci. I like the smaller prop for those sometimes bouncy landings. I do have a gasser, but the glow is much less vibration and super easy to install (no ignition, batteries, chokes, etc.). I am using a Bisson pitts style muffler with a Skywriter smoke system. I did need two pressure taps on the muffler to feed it enough fuel. Hope this helps. BTW, I can hover with the best of them with this setup. It weighs in at 13.5 pounds. I use Hobbytown brand 15% fuel and get 15 minutes on the stock fuel tank running high throttle/throws.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:40 AM
dale691

Thanks for that, sounds good to me. does anyone know how the BGX compares to the ST3250?

Just found these, anyone know anything about them?

http://www.aviatronics.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.