Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 AM
sdstick06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

Anybody tried a Pete Models CF spinner?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:02 AM
arobatx

I have one on my 33% sukhoi....very light, very nice workmanship. I would do all you can to eliminate problems with the gear on this bird, especially if you fly off grass. I'd hate for you to nose over onto one of these nice CF spinners.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 PM
sdstick06

I know what you mean about the gear. I installed the springs and cables on mine as I did 20 years ago on my trusty Goldberg Ulty. Works great.... I am light though with a Brillelli 46 and lipos.... my club has a nice 60 x 350 asphalt runway.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 PM
peter baldino
My Feedback: (2)

hi
my name's pete. i'm interested in purchasing a GP ultimate bipe. I have a brisson 3.2 gasser looking for a home. has anyone out there had any experience with this combo or something similiar? please let me know any opinions too.

i think the fuji gas engine (2.6 ) has almost the same dimensions and wight as the brisson 3.2. could i just use a little throttle control to keep the airplane together?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: peter baldino

hi
my name's pete. i'm interested in purchasing a GP ultimate bipe. I have a brisson 3.2 gasser looking for a home. has anyone out there had any experience with this combo or something similiar? please let me know any opinions too.

i think the fuji gas engine (2.6 ) has almost the same dimensions and wight as the brisson 3.2. could i just use a little throttle control to keep the airplane together?

I'm running that exact combination. All I can say is 'WOW
All of my servos are mounted in the tail, everything pretty much as the manual says to do it, and the CG is dead on the money. I've used several props, and the best performer that i've found is a Vess 22a. Turns my brison at 7100 on the ground, and pulls like a rented mule!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 PM
dillweed

Hey guys, I have my Ultimate completely covered in black monocote. It looks great. I have laid out the scheme. I'm doing it in on my Realflight simulator and Photoshop. Here is a screen shot of what she will look like when done. Right now I'm helping my son finish his Wagstaff Extra and have not had time to work on the Ultimate. We both just recieved our DL 50's and I can't get this Wagstaff off my bench fast enough. I love my son, But the Ultimate is mentally stocking me.LOL Anyway I'll post the actual photo's once I get her rolling. Till then keep up the great posts...Oh yeah, The bottom of the wings will both be 3" yellow on black checkers like the rudder. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12037.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1030588  
Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Always love black but it can be tough to see. Another thing as well, keep it out of the sun as that monokote will be a wrinkle bag real fast. Maybe Ultrakote will help. Good luck and have fun. You will like your Ultimate.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:15 PM
peter baldino
My Feedback: (2)

hello
i'm thinking of getting one of the great planes ultimate bipes. i have a brisson 3.2 gasser in my shop waiting for a plane . does anyone think it is too much engine for this plane??? the engine they used in the review( fuji) is 2.6 c.in. while the brisson is 3.2. not much difference. also the dimensions and weight of both engines are all most the same. any concern with the brisson being too much power can be controlled with throttle management.
what does anyone think? please reply thanks.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:24 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Peter,

A lot of us have the Ultimate with DL/DA50's, and are extremely happy with the performance. OMG vertical, yes throttle management is a must. It's an excellent plane, the best I have. No bad habits, at least that I have found and I have two of them. With a DL50 the AUW is around 15lbs. The Brisson should pull it around just great. Go for it and you won't regret it.

This is a link to some pictures of mine which might give you an idea of the space for engine and electronics.
http://www.lundyweb.net/Ultimate%20Pictures/index.html

Chuck
Old 09-13-2008, 02:59 PM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: peter baldino

hello
i'm thinking of getting one of the great planes ultimate bipes. i have a brisson 3.2 gasser in my shop waiting for a plane . does anyone think it is too much engine for this plane??? the engine they used in the review( fuji) is 2.6 c.in. while the brisson is 3.2. not much difference. also the dimensions and weight of both engines are all most the same. any concern with the brisson being too much power can be controlled with throttle management.
what does anyone think? please reply thanks.
The Brison 3.2 will be MORE than you will ever really need. I have the same setup in my Ulti!!!! [sm=thumbup.gif] Throttle management is a MUST though.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:34 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, yes I'm only at 2 gallons of ashless fuel thru my dl50. (not yet on the slipery synthetic oil) and I'm running 300-400 rpms rich from 7000 rpm with a zinger pro 22-8 and the performance is great as it is. Soon I will switch to a xoar 23-8 and sythetic and lean it up a bit...

I'm a little unhappy with my servo choices but that is fixable. My tail has 5985 on the elv and 5955 on the rudder which is great! but I opted for the cheaper 5645 for the ailerons. I should have gone 5985 all around or 5625 on the ailerons as the 5645 are WAAAYYYY to slow. You would think at 6v them being .17 would be ok...

Old 09-13-2008, 04:56 PM
twn

dillweed, you might want to think about some bright color on the leading edges of the wings. I have a friend with a gb chipmunk with black leading edges and it completely disappears on approach. I have no idea how he lands it...

I'm seriously color blind to most if not all variations of red. So I'm in the process of changing that on my ultimate. It disappears on me frequently on level flight from the side. I'm incorporating neon monokote colors so I can see it better. I have used ultracote neon colors and they look good until u bring them into the sun then they fade FAST and blemish by what looks like a release of glue underneath. I have the monokote orange on my sse and I have put hundreds of flights on it and left in the sun for hours and it shows no sign of fading yet.

LOL, actually red is so bad for me that even against a neon I loose it.

I know "FLOURESCENT" "YUK!" but if I can't see it I can't fly it. Actually the monokote neon orange, and red are quite pleasing to the eyes. The green sucks and the yellow is like those vests you see workers using, quite blinding... But wow I fly my sse REALLY high until it is a spec and I can still tell if it is on its side flat upside down etc... and I NEVER get disoriented. Mind you I don't completely cover a plane in neon, that would be ugly. I incorporate the neons into the scheme against highly contrasting colors like metallic blue...

On my twist 60 I switched out ALL of the red for neon red and added neon orange, Looks like a cream sickle in the sky I am told. but wow can I ever see it and surprisingly looks nice. I put the neon green on the bottom of the wing and it sucks. gona change it out.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:26 PM
sdstick06

After the first 3 flights.......

Mine is 14.6lbs with Brillelli 46 power 5985's / 5955

This Ulty is a sweetheart.... very gentle stall straight ahead... very easy to fly... flys extremely light and feels like a larger plane. Tracking is great and this one has less coupling then other Ultys I have had. The Brillelli gives unlimited verticle and plenty of power for IMAC and freestyle... I am not a 3D'er so I can not comment on that.

I am extremely pleased with this plane... it is definately a keeper... it even makes you want to buy a 2nd one for a backup.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for alot of very useful information.

SDS

Name:	Rp44243.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	1045958  
Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 PM
STICK MODE

Could someone please give me the out side dimensions for the ultimate delivery box length breath depth ect as im trying to get a friend to ship it to me here in New Zealand (very ultimate itch I need to get rid off) and towers overseas posting rates are from another planet thanks guys PS great thread here
Old 10-05-2008, 08:40 AM
iflywhenican

Great looking build there SDS and I am glad that you are enjoying your plane. I took mine out for a little excersise yesterday. Needless to say...I HAD A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are many other Ultimates, but IMO not a single one is better than this one.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:12 AM
sdstick06

Thanks Iflywhenican... I agree with you... I even like this one better then the 33% Aeroworks I had

Going back out with it today... really pretty here in TN today... I am 32 miles south of Nashville

I even built my Ulty it's own trailer!!

SDS

Name:	Bz77100.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	1046264  
Old 10-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Lumpy n bumpy

Hi everyone ! I slowly making my way through reading this forum and I'm getting a lot of good information. I purchased my first bipe this year which is a GP Skybolt with a Saito 100. Awesome fun to fly and the 100 yanks it around pretty good. I like the larger scale planes and I'm considering moving up to the Ultimate for next year but I'm curious if anyone has any comments regarding how it might fly in comparison to a little ol' Skybolt? Sounds like every engine ever made had been tried on the Ultimate but I think I would give a DA-50 a go with it. It would be my first gasser too. I like power but realize throttle management will be a must ! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 AM
twn

Lumpy n bumpy, you will get LOADS of great comments about this bipe here. I think everyone falls in love with it on the first flight. Don't worry too much about the crazy power of the 50cc. I was freaked out for the first flight but you will quickly realize that on a new gas engine there isn't a whole lot of power in the air. In fact you will be more concerned with a dead stick from the REALLY rough rich engine for the first 2 gallons. You HAVE to run it rich (my imac buddy says 400rpm rich from wide open) for the first 3-4 gallons on ashless mix. During this time there is no power for insane verticle climbs so don't try. Once you get about 4-5 gallons through and switch to synthetic and slowly lean it out with every gallon you will get use to the power as it increases. I'm at about 3 gallons of ashless and my rpm on the ground is rich at about 6600 on a 22-8. After I hit 4 gallons I will switch to synthetic and switch my prop to a xoar 23-8 and lean her out more.

This plane is a lot more manuvarable from your skybolt. Take is easy on the throws or get some time on a “more expendable†aircraft with giant control surfaces and loads of throw. I modified my sse with a saito 82 & 15-6 on 30% heli fuel with a gorkin big rudder and large elevators with counter balancers. I did this to get use to the big surfaces, throws & power… Surprisingly my ulti feels a lot like my sse, kinda shocked me.

It will take a good 5 gallons and be on synthetic before you start to see the "crazy" 50cc power

I was going to go DA but the DL was cheaper and their is a lot DL success here.

A burned in and tuned 50cc on this bipe would be like a ys 140 on your skybolt maybe even more. If you keep the throws down it is a very tame (but capable) aircraft. You will love it. My 2 favorite birds are my ultimate and my sse. I ALWAYS bring both to the field and everybody loves the ultimate.

Make sure you do the wing joiner mod, gear mod ( I use the spring mod) and toothpick mod in this thread also if you go digital, 5985 servos on 6v all around are more than adequate. I have a buddy with this ulti and a da50 with 5985 all round and he puts his plane through hell. Flat spins that look like the planes gona rip apart, waterfalls at full speed and all day hovering.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:31 PM
sdstick06

Went to the field today.... got my Brillelli 46 and my flight controls dialed in more today. All of a sudden everything just started feeling good and trustworthy.. so... I cut her loose

WOW what a ride.... this thing is awesome for sure.... got a great big rush today and let out a great big YEE HA after my landing.

The Brillelli is honking and is PLENTY of power... what a great engine.... starts very easy and runs strong.... getting 6900 on a Xoar 21x8.... the engine is only on it's second gallon and still slightly on the rich side.

I am totally in love with a VERY exciting gal (myUlty)!!!!!!!!!!!!

SDS
Old 10-07-2008, 07:56 AM
iflywhenican

Just wait till you get in some knife-edge loops, some inline tumbles, wind-er-up in a blender so tight that you will think she is going to self destruct, totally awesome snaps....and on and on...
Old 10-07-2008, 08:00 AM
sdstick06

lol... to late! Been there done that... and your right.... it was AWESOME!!!!!!

I LOVE this thing.... it flys better then my 33% Aeroworks Ulty

SDS
Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 AM
ricomari

Nothing to do with the Ultimate....great airplane! What ever happen to Bubbagates? I've followed this forum for two year, he has not posted since about January. His opinion seemed to be highly respected in all the forums he participated in.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:54 PM
sdstick06

Anybody ever figure out what percent these Ultys are???
(size... percent of full scale)
Old 10-08-2008, 01:17 PM
twn

I thought it was a 27% (ish)
Old 10-08-2008, 01:33 PM
arobatx

As compared to the Full Scale 10-300, by wingspan it is 27.7% scale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.