Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 PM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

I've backed off flying anything for the last month or so...105+ degrees is just not "flying weather" to me.[8D] The weather guy is promising cooler days this weekend, so I will be mixing some fresh fuel...
Old 09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
fishdeth
My Feedback: (2)

I hear ya !
I skipped a couple weeks, but took the Ultimate out on Labor Day and enjoyed a couple great flights, then home to jump in the pool !
Our seasons her are... Almost Summer, Summer, and Christmas....
Old 09-04-2007, 09:25 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: drumbum

Havent flown mine in about 6 months[&o] I broke a flying wire and lost a wheel pant. been too lazy to place the order for the replacement. heck my DA still isnt broke in yet and i got it when i started this tread. But now that i got a new transport vehicle I can put it together and transport it I will take it to the field more. im not much on long put togethers at the field

Broken flying wires eh? Just get some dubro pull-pull wire, make a loop, double it through the thimble 2 times (i'm paranoid, ok) , crimp and mount.... I've had to replace all of mine. Keep getting the lower one stuck on the stooge, but always seem to catch the broken/loose ones before taxiing out.

and HALLELUJAH! my ignition showed up today! Got her all mounted up, checked for a spark, got one, picked myself up off the floor check to see if I had soiled myself from the jolt. I guess we're going flying tomorrow, if'n it don't start to storming! I had to spend all weekend getting re-acquainted with my Hog Bipe and Something Extra, which actually was a blast, expect for having to wipe all the glo-slime off the things. I was starting to really miss my Ulti!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:29 PM
vahpr
My Feedback: (3)

I've gone through the 1st 100 pages and am working my way through this excellent thread. I'd like to make a request for you guys with DA 50s. Would you kindly post photos of your throttle (and choke servo if applicable) installation or refer me to where you've already posted them?

I sent request to the tech guys at RCU that it would be really nice if we could search a thread for posts with photos. Not possible now but I'm sure I'm not the first to ask......

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Old 09-06-2007, 02:55 PM
iflywhenican

I've got newly mixed fuel...and the WEEKEND [sm=teeth_smile.gif] is almost here!!! and the weatherguy is still promising COOLER?? temps (in the high 80's) [:@] but much better than in the 100's that we have been having [:'(] I forsee an "ULTIMATE/SKYBOLT BIPEDAY" all weekend!!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:08 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Here's a link to my list of 'mods' to this plane, might be a photo you need in there.....
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6057226]GP Ultimate 1.60 'mods'...[/link]

RCU already has a 'Search this thread' function, look at VERY bottom of page on right side near 'Google'.
Not always accurate, but it's there.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:35 PM
vahpr
My Feedback: (3)

I have your mods post bookmarked and have referred to it several times - thank you. So far, I've done the dual aileron mod by bodywerks, the birch ply wing joiner, and the landing gear mod by aerobob. I've also checked out your photos of the engine mount and Lafus's photos & mods - I plan to copy some of his stuff too. Nicely done, both you guys.

Regarding the search, I do use the search thread function regularly (and the normal forum search tool) but both lack the ability to display posts with photos. Rcgroups has a nice function - when you click on a pic, it becomes a slideshow, displaying ALL photos in the thread in order posted. Love to see that here...anyone listening?

Jerry

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Here's a link to my list of 'mods' to this plane, might be a photo you need in there.....
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6057226]GP Ultimate 1.60 'mods'...[/link]

RCU already has a 'Search this thread' function, look at VERY bottom of page on right side near 'Google'.
Not always accurate, but it's there.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:17 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

I started putting my aileron servos in last night and am thinking of all the servo extensions I will need. My biggest concern is the aileron servos. So I have 12" coming from the servo itself, another 12" for the 1st extension. This then plugs into a 3" Y harness, which then goes to another 12" extension, which ends at the Rx. So all total, I have 39" of wire. I start getting a little worried about signal loss, voltage loss, glitches, etc when I've exceeded 30". The longest I've ever run is about 32" on my Cap. I will be running a glow engine in mine (moki 2.10). Obviously this length seems to be ok, as others in this thread haven't said anything about it. But, it still makes me wonder.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:30 PM
iflywhenican

I didn't exactly do mine that way as far as servo extensions. I used 2 y's coming out of the receiver...one end into the Ernst connector(s) for the top wing and the other to connect the lower wing...that way you only need one extension from the wing servo's. Total of 4 extensions and 2 y's.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:34 PM
jzinckgra

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

I didn't exactly do mine that way as far as servo extensions. I used 2 y's coming out of the receiver...one end into the Ernst connector(s) for the top wing and the other to connect the lower wing...that way you only need one extension from the wing servo's. Total of 4 extensions and 2 y's.
So how long were your Y-harnesses? I've got 3" long ones, which doesn't seem like it'll be nearly long enough. With your setup, did you have 4 Ernst connectors total (2 each side of fuse)?
Old 09-07-2007, 03:47 PM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: jzinckgra

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

So how long were your Y-harnesses? I've got 3" long ones, which doesn't seem like it'll be nearly long enough. With your setup, did you have 4 Ernst connectors total (2 each side of fuse)?
I used 6" Y's...they will total about 12 inches in length and two of the Ernst connectors. I put top and bottom wings (each side) on one channel each for more precise tuning....
You can use only one Ernst connector if you want...just "Y" the top wing servos.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:44 PM
dmcmike

You fella's running Brison 3.2's, what are you using for a prop, and what kind of rpm are you getting? I got a new TBM 22x8 and i'm only turning it at around 6200-6500 rpm. I had been running a Zinger-Pro, and it seemed to turn up a lot more. That TBM Does seem to pull it pretty well though, just worried that i'm loading the engine up a bit too much.

thanks!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:47 AM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: mcmike

You fella's running Brison 3.2's, what are you using for a prop, and what kind of rpm are you getting? I got a new TBM 22x8 and i'm only turning it at around 6200-6500 rpm. I had been running a Zinger-Pro, and it seemed to turn up a lot more. That TBM Does seem to pull it pretty well though, just worried that i'm loading the engine up a bit too much.

thanks!
Mike...I'm running a Xoar 20x10 on mine and getting 7000 rpm's +or - a few. It does a great job. I was running a Zinger Pro at first and I wised-up and used it to stir some concrete stain for my carport.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
dmcmike

I was just really kind of concerned about the apparent low rpm, but this prop makes it "jump like a Willys in four-wheel drive"! I tweaked the mixture a bit today, and the throttle response and overall performance improved a bit. Just didn't want to overtax the engine. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:40 AM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: mcmike

I was just really kind of concerned about the apparent low rpm, but this prop makes it "jump like a Willys in four-wheel drive"! I tweaked the mixture a bit today, and the throttle response and overall performance improved a bit. Just didn't want to overtax the engine. Thanks!
Mike, Very few people would know what a "Willys" actually is. [X(]

I have 2 Brison 3.2's, one on my Ultimate and the other on my Texas Hurricane. I have had to tweak the needle's a couple of times on the Hurricane for optimal performance, but I have never touched the needle's on my Ultimate to this day after many...many flights. Just the "nature of the beasts', I guess.

Not a good weekend for flying in SC...A wind gust...I call them "dust devils" flipped a Piper PA-28 just as he was landing down in Myrtle Beach and also a rescue helicopter was flipped on it's side while trying to land in a soccer field in Greenville due to another wind gust. The Piper pilot got a few scratches and the three guys in the heli walked away unscathed, but a very torn up bird.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 AM
sleepper

I haven't seen any Ultimate videos here for a while so I decided to publish short video from yesterday. You can see some wing rocking on harrier and elevators and hopefully I can get rid of it with moving the CG backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MB7LZbnZG8

Original video was 16:9 and now with 4:3 my Ultimate seems to be quite short
Old 09-12-2007, 06:53 AM
iflywhenican

Nice Video Sleeper. I have said before, "there are planes...many of them" but only one "Ultimate"
Old 09-12-2007, 07:39 PM
jzinckgra

Anybody beef up their firewalls? I am putting in the blindnuts and the ply seems soft. PLus, it only looks to be 1/4", which I know should be ok for my moki, but still seems a little weak.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM
drumbum

I didnt do any beefing but did epoxy coat everything up front inside and out of thefirewall box before final mounting the DA. Oh wait i did use glass cloth where the mounting holes were about an inch square and in the 4 corners when i epoxied. sorry it had been a while.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:33 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

I am finally getting ready to put my Ultimate together.

DL50
JR servos
8611 rudder
8411 elevators
and 9411 on ailerons

Should be plenty of servo on all surfaces

My question... All my servos have the nylon gears (SA type), does anyone thing the plastics gears in these servo's will survice
heavy duty service in this plane?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne G.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:36 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

I am finally getting ready to put my Ultimate together.

DL50
JR servos
8611 rudder
8411 elevators
and 9411 on ailerons

Should be plenty of servo on all surfaces

My question... All my servos have the nylon gears (SA type), does anyone thing the plastics gears in these servo's will survice
heavy duty service in this plane?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne G.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:26 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Don't even think about anything less than metal geared servos on a gasser!
The vibration alone will tear those plastic gears up.

Also, look at the various 'mods' we've done on this plane. You really need better hinging on at least the tail surfaces.
Plus, some form of engine kill should be employed! Throttle servos fail, throttle linkages fail, use an engine kill switch like what Smart-Fly offers.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:59 AM
dmcmike

Ditto on the Smart-Fly Fiber optic kill switch. Keep an eye on the buy&sell, they're in there every once in a while for less than $50. Got one on mine, and it saved me on the 2nd flight when the muffler came loose. Wouldn't idle down low enough to land the thing!

Old 09-17-2007, 04:29 PM
darryl-e

well i have been watching this thread closely. As i had purchased one about a month ago. First off i would like to say that the customer service at Great Planes is the best that i have ever had to deal with period. A lady by the name of Susie that i was dealing with should actually be a person who does seminar's on how to be a great customer service rep. This was my first Great Planes product and they will be getting more of my money in the future. I have had alot of planes in the 3 years that i have been in this hobby and this customer service is exceptional.
to the plane. Had some serious issues with the covering and as stated above all was taken care of by Great Planes. Finally got a chance to build it and though it is a long build i flew it last night for the first time. i did a mod to the wing spare by taking 4mmx.50mmand ca ing it to the front side of the spar. i put 2 of these on each one then used gorillia glue to put the wings together.
Here is my combo DL50 5625on each elevator and each ailerion for a total of 6.one 5645 on the rudder one ds821 spektrum on throttle. 1100spektrum nicad pack for ignition and a 2700 nmh pack for reciever.
this plane is a great flying plane had 4 flights on it last night and it lands like a baby. Maiden flight i was a little nervous[sm=stupid.gif] being that this is my first big gas plane and one that i really have some $$ tied up in. rolled here out on the runway and she was in the air before i was really ready for her.[X(] took it up to a safe alt (500ft is what my buddy says i had it at ) and proceeded to trim it out. 3 clicks left ail and one up elevator. i did not set the throws by the book i set them to half of max deflection for low and all i could get on high. well you guys are right on the ail role rate,it make you sick just looking at it. will have to slow this down a little. did a couple loops and roles and all looked good. inverted she sinks a fair amount useing the handle balancing method i balanced it at 1 1/4. it is fairly nose heavy i will be changing this. first flight was up for 8min landing was a GREASER[sm=tongue_smile.gif] I will be doing the landing gear mod in the near future. DL runs flawless 7000rpm on a volk prop22x8 will be changing this to a 22A Vess after a couple gallons. after checking all over i took it up again for a 10 min flight and she is a nice girl when you want her to be but what every man wants when you flip the HIGH RATE SWITCH i will assume you all know what i mean with this. this thing flatspins awsome inverted ,uprights are good but will get better once i move the cg back. many people say that biplanes couple real bad in aknife well this is not bad at all. i have knifed worse planes than this one by far. hovering is rock solid , very little input to make her stay put. the DL has lots of power to pull out. next two flights were just as rewarding. took her home and went thru her with a fine tooth comb and all is good. i will be switching to lipo's and reg,s in the near future. i weighed the parts once it was all assembled minus the cowland she comes in at 14lbs on the nose i feel that with the cowl and a couple other goodies she will come in at 15 but i guess time will tell.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:23 PM
dmcmike

and here it is the next day... probably about time to wipe that Grin off of your face, right? Watch the wheel pants if you fly from grass, they won't last long at all. Mine are totally shot, and i'll be ordering a new pair soon, and doing some reinforcement of them prior to use. Glad to hear you're enjoying her!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.