Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:27 PM
bluestratos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

Sorry, I missed your reply while I was answering the other one. If you read my last post you can see that I actually laminated a full strip to the surface of the bearers, the aluminum is light and it makes the face when viewed from the front look "trick", lol..

Best regards,
Randy
Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
ricomari

Just flew the maiden flight on my Ultimate160/Fuji32b combo this morning. This is one of the best planes I've ever flown, I immediately felt at ease with it! Two clicks down and hands off. The Fuji32b flew it great (scale), big loops from level flight(full throttle), knife edge down the entire length of the runway (half throttle). It does have limited vertical climb of about three hundred feet, but it will stay in a hover when it finally stops climbing. I can't say enough about this plane, the landing was non-eventful/no surprises. Not much 3D hovering with this combo but a great sport combo.

I do have one issue: The engine seems to flex up and down, side to side at the spinner cone and I think the give is at the firewall/box. Anyone else experience this? Looking at it to see if I need to strenghten the box the firewall is attached to.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:27 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

May be this isn't the place to ask, but I'm going to anyway. Where is the cheapest place to buy the Ultimate right now? Tower has it for $375 with a $20 off code until the end of the month and $8.99 shipping. Is the $20 off a regular discount? Typically when do they come out with their bigger discounts? I really can't start putting the plane together until the middle of February because I need to finish up another plane first, so I have a little time.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:34 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tower regularly offers 10 - 13% off in various foms. Join the Super Saver club for the better discounts and free shipping. When I bought mine, they were offering something like $35 off $350 or more plus free shipping. Cost me $340 shipped to my door.
BTW, the current Super Saver offer is $25 off $150 or more and free shipping.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:26 PM
chuck l

ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

Tower regularly offers 10 - 13% off in various foms. Join the Super Saver club for the better discounts and free shipping. When I bought mine, they were offering something like $35 off $350 or more plus free shipping. Cost me $340 shipped to my door.

Thanks for the tip. I just joined the Super Save Club for $14.99 which is a phone special, half price of the online cost. On the order it will save me a net of $16.

Chuck
Old 01-23-2008, 04:46 PM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

Another one reeled in by the Ultimate.
This plane has made some very happy and satisfied fliers. I have flown a lot of bipes, but (IMO) this one seems to overshadow the rest.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:26 PM
kwhite.6

great to hear another good report! i haven't read the whole 191 pages but i can't remember anything about the engine mount box flexing. i am still working on mine and now would be a good time to fix it. i haven't mounted the engine yet but i hope to by this weekend and i will check mine.how heavy was it with the 32?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 PM
ricomari

Not sure of the weight but it balanced perfectly without adding lead, I'll try to weight it and pass it along. I found that the lock tabs that hold the firewall box together were all loose and popped out of place when I pulled up on the top of the box. Not sure if that was causing all the flex but I reinforced it with wood and epoxy long the joints. The epoxy is curing as I type so I'll mount the engine in the morning and do the wiggle test!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 PM
chuck l

ORIGINAL: ricomari

Not sure of the weight but it balanced perfectly without adding lead, I'll try to weight it and pass it along. I found that the lock tabs that hold the firewall box together were all loose and popped out of place when I pulled up on the top of the box. Not sure if that was causing all the flex but I reinforced it with wood and epoxy long the joints. The epoxy is curing as I type so I'll mount the engine in the morning and do the wiggle test!
Scary!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chuck l

ORIGINAL: AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken

Thanks for the tip. I just joined the Super Save Club for $14.99 which is a phone special, half price of the online cost. On the order it will save me a net of $16.

Chuck
Just got the $30 off $300 or more in the mail today. Code 010XV.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:12 AM
ricomari

Epoxy cured and I still have the play? Replacing the engine with a new Fuji32B that I'm just breaking-in on my Giant Stick. The current Fuji32b has a bit of back and forth play in the crankshaft (alway has) the new one did not, maybe that bit of play is causing the up and down play. I'm strapping the whole plane in a jig and see if I can't pin point the movement...............
Old 01-24-2008, 09:08 AM
iflywhenican

I believe your flexing is due to the crankshaft of your engine. You probably won't have it after you make the exchange.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:55 PM
chuck l

Well, I ordered the Ultimate today for delivery in Florida next week, can't wait to get out of this Minnesota cold. -22 degrees this morning. I don't care what the temp is tomorrow morning because we are leaving and heading south! (I just changed my location to Florida!)
Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 PM
iflywhenican

-22??? Holy freezers Batman!!! 32 degrees in upstate SC right now with winds @ 25 mph and I thought it was cold!!!
We are supposed to have upper 50's this weekend. Hope to make at least one day a "BIPEDAY."
Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 PM
greyfoxx

Say ricomari, did the instructions on your Ultimate give instructions to pin the firewall if you're using a gas engine? Mine did, and I read on this forum a few months back that it was wise to pin the firewall (apparently that was not in the instructions on some of the earlier models). Just a though as I checked mine after reading your comments, and it's very tight with no flex at all. I did install (four) 1/8 in diameter wood dowel pins, 1/2 inch deep about 1/2 inch below the top tabs on each side, and about 1/2 inch above the bottom tabs on each side, per included instructions.

Although I'm still working on my Ultimate, that is something that has come very highly recommended by more than one writer in this forum.

"Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first and the lesson some time later!"

Phillip
Old 01-25-2008, 12:28 AM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: twn

The DL50 standoffs are only 2 & 11/16" long. The manual states that the drive washer needs to be between 6 & 3/4" to 7 & 1/4." With the DL50 stock standoffs it places the drive washer at just under 6 & 3/4". Should I be worried about this?

To the people in here that use a DL50 did you just go with the DL50 stock stand offs? Or did you do something else?
I used the stock mounts and have flown mine and it seems to be just fine. Mine balanced just fine with battery for ignition on engine box and receiver batts just behind the second former. I also pinned the firewall with 1/8" dowell on both sides in a couple of spots and 4 on the top

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25121.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	860338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31866.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	860339  
Old 01-25-2008, 06:29 AM
kwhite.6

can anyone tell me what the best prop for a fuji43 is . i was thinking a carbon would be best because of the low power of the fuji 43 compared to a 50 but i haven't found any info on what size carbon would be the best.i checked my local hobby shop and they have some in 19x10 20x10 & 22x8 but can order more. the apc is so heavy compared to the carbon it doesn't seem to smart to put that heavy of a prop on the 43. i have heard a lot about xoar props and maybe for the money that would be ok. what props did yall try
before taking the 43 off & replacing it with the 50s?

thanks!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:02 AM
ricomari

GreyFoxx: I did pin the firewall. I think I found the problem! I believe that the firewall designed to hold a bigger engine than the Fuji32b was too thin for the Fuji32b. The Fuji 43 or most 50cc engines have a bigger foot print for mounting to the firewall, allowing the mounting bolts to mount much closer toward the sides( more strength). The firewall is a hair thicker than 1/4 inch and the Fuji32 mounted much further in from the sides and more toward the unsupported middle. To be fair, I did cut the firewall about 1/2 inch by 3 inchs across the bottom in order to fit the muffler. I did built a box behind it for strength thought. Instead of using the metal standoffs I replace them with two laminated pieces of 1/2 thick ply (about 1X5 inchs) that go from one side of the firewall to the other. This thicken the firewall at the mounts and tied it to the sides. I compare the original firewall to walking on a 4X8 ply sheet that is only supported around the edges and not in the center, not much flex at the edges but walk towards the middle and you'll be bouncing up and down. I'm sure that the locktabs on the engine box flexed and popped loose during the first flight and NOT an issue in the quaility of this plane. Anyway, it's cold outside and the heater in the workshop is on................
Old 01-25-2008, 05:42 PM
TimHendrix

Hey Everybody,

Have all of you stuck with the original color scheme or have you changed it some? Me and three of my buddies are all building these airplanes so i'm trying to figure out how to change the color scheme, so they don't all look the same. I've already removed the gold stripes, will replace with yellow. I also added yellow on the wings, just made a third sunburst stripe. I will post pics when all finished. In the meantime, I'd like to see what some others have done to BLING this plane out. So let's all post some pics, give me some more ideas. I like em busy.

Thanks,

TH
Old 01-27-2008, 07:16 PM
xman2004
My Feedback: (59)

I have been reading this post, and find it very informative. I am just starting to work on my Ultimate - I have ZDZ40 for it. I have already modified my wing joiners as I did not think that a piece of soft balsa with a strip of plywood would have enough strength (see picture), and I pinned my firewall with carbon fiber rod. I am also going to use Graphtech gear. As far as hinges, I am going to use DuBro pinned hinges, and after the installation I will pin them in the wing with thin CF rod. Are there any other mods that I should do? Also, can any one satisfy my curiosity tell me what is the purpose of mounting the top wing on to the plane while letting the epoxy set? What is the difference if I just let the wing lay flat on the table to let the epoxy set?
Thanks.

Name:	Rp42138.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	862855  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:50 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL:xman2004

Also, can any one satisfy my curiosity tell me what is the purpose of mounting the top wing on to the plane while letting the epoxy set? What is the difference if I just let the wing lay flat on the table to let the epoxy set?
Better chances of things linging up after the glue cures. Please somebody jump in here if I'm wrong.

BTW what exactly did you use to strengthen the joiner. Looks like carbon fiber. What thickness, width etc...

I'm still trying to find a Canadian retailer with decent prices for carbon fiber that is over 3/4" wide and thicker than paper. I'll probably end up using 5ply plywood with cf tape between.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:20 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toymaker,

Here is a pic of my DL50. Mine are the v2 standoffs. What is the size of your standoffs. They actually look smaller than the v2 standoffs.

Also should I be cutting a hole in the firewall behind the intake to allow better airflow or do I have enough room without cutting holes.

Name:	Ec87170.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	863319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16783.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	863320  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:15 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: xman2004
I am going to use DuBro pinned hinges, and after the installation I will pin them in the wing with thin CF rod. Are there any other mods that I should do? Also, can any one satisfy my curiosity tell me what is the purpose of mounting the top wing on to the plane while letting the epoxy set? What is the difference if I just let the wing lay flat on the table to let the epoxy set?
Thanks.
Pining those hinges themselves into the mounting points is not needed. Just lightly sand each hinge, so the CA will bond with it & the wood better.

The top wing needs epoxied, mounted, and such in one combined step, so that top wing incidence comes out correctly. Look at it the wrong way....
you assemble on a table, later in mounting it, none of your interplane struts 'thumb screws' will line up.<yikes!>. Do it as detailed in the manual,
use 60 minute epoxy, some tape to keep it together, and you're good to go.

As for other 'mods'....

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6548501]Link to all the best 'mods' on this plane...[/link]

Consider the firewall/toothpick mod, and wheelpants mod.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:30 PM
xman2004
My Feedback: (59)

TWN,

Yes it is carbon fiber, but..... it is not a flat piece sandwiched between plywood and balsa - what I have done is using a dramel tool remove some balsa deep enough to set a 1/8" carbon fiber rod in to it. I did this on both sides of the joiner, than just glue it in with 30 minute epoxy. After it cures, lightly sand the sides and you are done.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:46 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: twn

I'm still trying to find a Canadian retailer with decent prices for carbon fiber that is over 3/4" wide and thicker than paper. I'll probably end up using 5ply plywood with cf tape between.
I used CF strips .057 x .177 x 24" (cut to your desired length), from Midwest Products.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5014262]Wing Joiner 'mod' #1....[/link]

I used JB Weld in the trough created for CF to lay in, then 60 minute epoxy during assembly.
No need for full width CF, just these strip do fine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.