Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:18 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

ORIGINAL: stanordave

..................and noticed 8 holes and slits in the covering.............
You should call Tower Hobbies or whomever you bought it from,
and tell them about that BEFORE doing anything to it!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 AM
stanordave

Had a very nice maiden this weekend. DLE-55 was a great choice. Balanced wo/any lead with the battery up front. Probably could have used the pull-pull rudder and not put the servo aft as I was afraid of being nose heavy.

Great flyer but kit quality is poorer than other GP offerings. NONE of the setscrews for the wheel collars fit! Tailwheel didn't fit hardware. Covering not adhering very well. Fortunately I have enough parts from other GP aircraft that the parts from those fit.

Did have one serious complaint on the hardware..on the second flight, making a 1/2 power flyby to do a bit of trimming, saw flutter! Immediately chopped the power and landed (I've lost planes from that before). Was assuming I messed up the hinging but saw the clevis that attaches to the aileron had broken at the part where it threads on so became disconnected! I've never had a clevis fail before in flight. (some popped of in the early years but that was a loooong time ago).

Replaced w/DuBro 4-40 HD clevis and it appears OK.

Thanks for posting the "balances an 1" ahead of the rear bolt" method. I never even balanced it w/the wings on and it is spot on!

Using only PowerHD 9150's and they work great. Only using 2 for the ailerons and can roll like a blur - perfect.

Wx looks good, time to go fly..

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-24-2011, 11:50 AM
a1pcfixer

Mike,

Congats on your maiden flight!

Hopefully your stock hardware issues are only a rarity.
Many of us used stronger stuff instead of the stock stuff.

As to your warm weather.....I hate you.
It's cold & snowy here.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:10 PM
stanordave

Its NOT warm...its 64º out w/ a 4 mph gale!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:39 AM
flygilmore

Mine has been great....came out of the box perfect with no blemishes anywhere! I did not use any of the stock hardware however nor did I use the CA hinges. This plane does awesome inverted harriers unlike a lot of bipes!!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:44 AM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

Holy Cow!!!! After all these years and this thread is STILL going..[X(]...but it goes to show you what a fine bird this thing is. Many, many flights on mine and it is still the "Great Plane" (no pun intended..) she has been from the beginning.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 AM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: stanordave

Its NOT warm...its 64º out w/ a 4 mph gale!
GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! 34º and raining..snow in the forecast also....
Old 01-25-2011, 12:06 PM
HelividD

You think you had it bad(BTW, congrats on your maiden!!!!), I have to replace my engine, even before flying it. I purchased a 1.60 FX for mine, thinking it would save weight. Now, after speaking with Great Planes, I "know for sure" that I have to upgrade my motor. I advised them of this thread and the weights that are being obtained with the model and they said they were aware of it. I asked them, why there was no notes advising of the weight and they pretty much said that the reccomendations are just loose and that my plane will fly on a 1.60, but that I need to setup a pull pull system and tray, in order to get the weight down to what they advertised, as the model, with it's stock setup is designed for gasoline engines.

Unfortunately, I only found this thread and this information out, after purchasing my model and engine, and building it. So, I am bummed and am now in the process of saving up for a DLE 55. It is the "actual fix" to the issue at hand, and much better than doing their tray setup and having to cover the servo holes, plumbing, etc. I think this very well may be my last Great Planes model, as I feel that they falsely advertised, and because I followed their recomendation for one of the two engines, I need to spend an additional 400.00 to get it in the air(not to mention, I have to rebuild the fuel tank, buy another switch setup, another prop, eat the cost of the 1.60 etc).. I am deeply angry with them at the moment.....
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell, if it wasn't for this thread - I'd forget I have one. Only (2) flights so far (PITA when you have to pull the tonneau cover to load planes)
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
a1pcfixer

Yepper, 5 1/2 years and still popular!

Take a look at the bottom of the first message, it's been edited to include my list of 'mods' we've done.
Newcomers first viewing this thread would see that, and hopefully get a head start on building theirs.

A big thank-you goes to our RCU Moderator - daveopam/David for helping me get 'er done!
Now I no longer need to re-post that list of 'mods' and it's easier now for anyone to just say
"look at Post #1 for hot links to all the 'mods'."

One thing remains; update the thread's title from; Great planes ultimate 160 (-to-) Great planes ultimate 160 ('mods' & links Post #1) Hopefully his magic wand can do that.[8D]
Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 PM
a1pcfixer

Mine hangs from the garage ceiling in the Winter....can't miss it!

This is my second one......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79006.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	1552922  
Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad Brad Graphics?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
iflywhenican

HelividD...
I don't know as to what extent you have completed your plane, but if you are very close to maiden on it, then by all means..if it were me, I would go ahead with what I have and give it a try. You may be surprised (and pleased) as to what you have already. If it turns out it just isn't enough for you then go ahead and change it out to gas. This plane is very forgivable and very "user friendly" and if it's overweight, but not to much...you won't notice.

If I remember correctly, there is a statement in the builders manual with this plane that plainly states: This plane was designed for use of the Fx-160 or the Fuji BT-43 gas engine and if you use a larger engine than reccomended, then you will pretty much be on your own. Bubba...I know...guilty as charged....
Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first one started life on the Fuji43 which is essentially the same power as the OS160 but way more heavier and I was at 14lbs then. It took me about a month to toss in a Brison 3.2 that was an astounding match which I gained only 1/4lb. I sold the Brison 3.2 engine to a friend and then tossed in a DA50, once again an astounding match.

So, what that all says, if you want a nice flying plane that can do mild 3D, the OS160 will fit the bill and probably come in around 11lbs which is not too bad for the OS160, but the plane is a bit draggy, what bipe isn't, just be careful with your choices.

Now if you want all out balls to the wall power, then there is nothing like a good 50cc to turn this puddy tat into a well mannered tiger

Heck, I'd bet a good 45cc would do nicely, remember the fuji 43 is about as heavy as a DA50, if not a bit more so anything you toss in there is going to be lighter

In essence, I agree with Ben, toss it together with the 160 and see what happens, it's easily changed out once you have the funds, but I would not expect it to punch out of a hover.

As an example, I think mine came in at 15lbs but remember, I have a lot of extras in there, 2 batts, smartfly power expander, heavier than required servos, etc. I could easily save a pound by taking out the smartfly and extra batt as they are not really needed and change the Brisson pitts muffler to the standard DA version. However I do have sound issues where I fly and I refuse to skimp on certain things when gas is involved

Remember the OS160 I mentioned at the beginning of this post, well that was sold to the same friend, I gave him the GP Cap232 that I first had because the front end popped off on a very mild off field landing after GP sent me a brand new one, he chopped the snot out of that plane but did not skimp on battery and servo and go it down to 10 pounds and used the APC18x6 Wide blade prop and and that thing was a bullet out of a hover once the heavy prop spun up. He tried a wood prop for faster spool up but pullout suffered more because the prop not being able to bite at first. Some of the log time members on this thread will remember me posting a video about that plane but the video no longer exists or I would show you what a 160 that is properly setup will do on a 10lb plane.

I have another friend who took that same Cap, tossed in a 160 and it was at 12.5lbs and it still flew like a dream, here is the result of a mid-air with that setup on that Cap after only 5 total flights after trimming

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72642.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	1552942  
Old 01-25-2011, 01:25 PM
bubbagates

Hey Heli,

One last little thing regarding the OS160, I know it's a marketing video, but the video GP uses in marketing this plane shows it using an OS160, just something to think about
Old 01-25-2011, 02:40 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: OldFart1

Bad Brad Graphics?
http://www.badbradgraphics.com/

The bling I had made up for my GP Ultimate, is from material what he refers to as 'ice' .
Girl on wing, NOT included!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 PM
iflywhenican

"Girl on wing, NOT included!"

BUMMER!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
a1pcfixer

I think I got her from....
http://www.aerographix.biz/
....several years back at Toledo.

Don't seem to carry that one anymore.[&o][&o]
Old 01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

''Girl on wing, NOT included!''

BUMMER!!!
Yea, you can actually get those girls at any large truck stop, the stickers too [&:] (not kidding about the stickers)
Old 01-25-2011, 04:00 PM
a1pcfixer

You sir need a hobby, may I suggest R/C mini-tanks....like at Toledo?[8D]
Old 01-25-2011, 04:03 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

You sir need a hobby, may I suggest R/C mini-tanks....like at Toledo?[8D]
I actually have a video of the one tank that was outside that he ran around the driveway, sorry for the quality, it was shot with my iPhone

http://www.bubbagates.net/Videos/videos.html
Old 01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
a1pcfixer

Update on stats for this thread;

5 1/2 years old and still going

121 people subscribed

929 photos

6,527 posts

Does anybody know what the top longest running thread(s) are on RCU?
Old 01-25-2011, 05:43 PM
HelividD

Can you guys say loving and understanding wife that is in the hobby? In other words, lol, anyone want to buy an OS 1.60, as I now am the owner of a DLE 55! :-)

I went and picked it up and am going to get to work on it tomorrow(Hopefully, I can get it in there all in one day)! Have to fill in the holes in the firewall, pin it with the dowels, well you all know how it goes, but, I have a little bit to do. However, I am a happy and more satisfied camper now. The only thing, is that now, I have to take my OS Engine vinyl off the tail and get a DLE one from Kirby's. However, I am sure, I will be extremely satisfied and "more secure" in my own mind with this motor. Besides, I am hooked on Unleaded now in my planes! The only larger glow plane I have now is my Funtana 125, and I suspect, that, that plane will be converted to gas sometime this summer also.

Question for you guys, what is the length of the screw that you use for the nose cone? I know it's a 5mm, but I purchased 40mm and I believe 20mm, as that is all they had. I know for the glow motor, it is long enough, but I have a feeling that it may be a bit short(even the 40mm) for the gasser.

And I have a tank(1/16 scale modified HL Pershing), but not one of those big ones... Those things are crazy! There is a video on Youtube(I think) of a guy that has one that fires some type of missle projectile. That one, was the sweetest r/c tank I have ever seen.

And this thread is awesome! I didn't know that this had been going that long, however very cool!

And thanks for the responses guys! I truly appreciate it and will let you all know how it goes and my progress.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 PM
HelividD

Hey bubba,

Thats the thing I was upset about. Mine came in at 15lbs and I only have my 4200 receiver pack on it. I guess, maybe I epoxied the tail a bit heavy or something? And, that I did not know(about the promo video being shot with a 1.60), but ahhh, lol, too late now! :0 Weight will not be any type of issue hopefully after tomorrow. But my poor old cowl is going to look tarded with the holes on the top.. Lmao! More cooling!!!!!!!!

And I know it will be a while before I get a couple gallons through it, but two questions, and as I type this, it sounds kind of goofy asking, but, what prop sizes are you all running on your models? With that beast of an engine(I did the conversion while in the hobby shop and that thing puts out over 30lbs of thrust...), I think that I built it well, and I already did the upgrade for the wing joiner, of course sealed the hinges, etc, but that thing is going to be a monster! I don't think I will have to order the new landing struts also, but how much more clearance does that give you, as I know this motor "can" swing 24" props..
Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM
bubbagates

I must have missed the post where you mentioned the weight, my apologies. I'd bet a good bit of the weight is the battery, I seem to remember that money was a tad bit of an issue so going to maybe a 2300 A123 would be out of the question due to needing a new charger as well and easily 1/2 the weight of your current battery and you would easily get 5 flights between charges

I'm not sure about the newer versions of the landing gear but anything over a 22 inch prop is getting really close for ground clearance. I know my Da50 will easily turn a 23x8 but I had better not bounce even once as I am running the stock gear and no mods to it ( I really like how it absorbs rough grass fields and give the plane a floating look as it taxis') . You could consider a 3 blade in the 22x12 range to handle the power to keep the ground clearance. A 22x10 2 blade will also work well which will give you the same thrust as a 23x8 but might make slowing the plane down a tad harder but this is a bipe and it does drop quickly so that may be a good thing

If you have stronger gear then a 23x8 is about as far as I would go, maybe a Xoar or even the Vess series like a 23A for pull or 23B for loading the engine more or if you want to spend the money a good carbon fiber prop would work wonders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.